Una diferente ‘Plus Ultra’ - the Avís-Trastámara Kings of All Spain and the Indies (Updated 11/7)

Huzzah, its back!

I always find something to delay me, don't I?

I hope that this epic, global-spanning conflict between the Spanish and Ottoman empires - will result in Spain becoming the premier ground-based and naval military power in the world.

There are lessons to be learned for Spain that much of the Spanish leadership had no idea they needed to learn, but these lessons will undoubtedly make them more pragmatic militarily.

So the Vido naval battle could be considered as an reverse Lepanto?
Also seems that battle would have been only the first major battle of the seems would be a war that would be fought from Gibraltar and the Rif mountains to the Indian ocean and the India...

Actually it's closer to the OTL battle of Preveza, but you're right that the war betwen Genoa-Spain and the Ottomans is merely one theater of a global outbreak of warfare between Christians/Spaniards and Sunnis.

So nice to see this back!! I really liked the mention of Hernán Cortés... didn't expect to see him mentioned again. I love the map of Spanish North Africa and am really interested in the future development of demographics (with all those Italians settling there and whatnot) of the region.

Interestingly enough, Cortés actually did return to Spain IOTL in 1541 to partake in a similar expedition to Algiers (where he almost dorwned in a storm). The demographic future of North Africa is very interesting to me as well, partly becuase it has me wondering what the future really is for a region where there is a mixed Muslim/Christian society, where the Christians - despite forming the overall minority (albeit a sizable one) - are mostly an urban population with special rights denied to the Muslims.

I wonder if the Ottomans are preparing for an invasion of Spanish North Africa through Egypt. That’s be one hell of a colossal war there.

I don't think that they would want or need to will do it in this way... I guess that given the logistics and the help of the locals inhabitants that would be ready to rebel would be more easy to isolate the outposts/cities garrisons through a navy blockade and then supporting the locals rebels disembark theirs troops and siege/assault the Spanish positions... Of course to do it they would need that their fleet defeat and/or dissuade the Spanish and Genoans fleets attempting to broken the blockade to try to help/relieve the siege to their isolated garrisons...

They could also take the land route through Egypt and Libya to reach the Spanish possessions.

Of course they could do it though per logistic and time I think that wouldn't be very probable that the Ottomans would opt to go all the way from Egypt to Tunisia and/or Algeria by land...

Not when many people under Spanish control would want the Spanish out.

The chief logistical issue I believe is actually that it would probably be more efficient to move ottoman troops by sea rather than by land for even if the local population of North Africa is friendly to the Ottomans it's still a very long distance to be marching troops overland.

It does make more sense for whatever reinforcements the Ottomans intend to send to Western North Africa to be ferried by sea rather than sent across the Libyan Coast. However, in order to directly assist the Maghrebi Muslims at all, they're going to need a clear lane through the Central Mediterranean (which they do not yet have). Consequently they'll probably keep the Turkish armies unloaded on the shores of the Maghreb to an absolute minimum, instead leaving that job to the privately-owned Turkish corsair fleets, who will most likely contribute more weapons and ships than soldiers.

Thank you for the reply, it has addressed most of my points in satisfying way ;) Some final thoughts though:

In the interest of keeping things within the family, there is more than likely going to be a marriage arranged between Juan Alfonso and his first cousin Micaela.

Ahh sweet, sweet incest. ;)

So I guess that means the crown will pass to the daughter, good to know how the inheritance works.

and inviolable separation between the three Spanish crowns - that the Spanish monarchy cannot find the motivation or rational to promptly fix (at least, not without serious resistance).

Didn't Juan Pelayo bind them into one just recently, at least legally? But yes the road to a fully united Spain, one that has a single culture is a long one and may never reach an end.

In regards to colonizing North America, it makes more sense to the Spanish to more fully develop the possessions they already have (the Caribbean, Central & South America, etc. already need more settlers due to the chronically decreasing native populations) while also consolidating their control on strategic locations (particularly in Asia and Africa) in order to protect their trade routes, rather than spread themselves even more thinly in a region where there is little apparent economical opportunity (North America is not a very profitable investment at this point without a large settler population, control of the fur trade, or a strain of tobacco that can grow in the Southeast).

I am thinking of the divide the English had, between colonies meant to make money and resources and ones for European settlers. Wouldn't most Spanish possessions be unwanted by settlers due to racists reasons of the many non-white populations present? In terms of pure settler colonies I think they only have Argentina which has that perfect mix of good climate and little to no natives.

For this NA is superior, and furthermore didn't the English and later Southern Americans make good money from tobacco, cotton, etc in the south-eastern US states?

And I suppose the Spanish can nab Australia/NZ, they are in the best position to do so atm. Maybe parts of South Africa too if they are ruthless enough.

Also when I said that I would prefer a timeline where Spain keeps and integrates her colonies I did not mean to imply going more similar to OTL with decolonization is bad. Just that I would find it more fresh if a colonial state found a way to keep much of its overseas possessions by being far sighted and giving more and eventually equal rights to people living over there. Still, good to hear Spain will keep more stuff than OTL.

And interesting to learn that the rulers of Spain are more Port. than Castilian. I actually thought they would be more Castilian given the upbringing provisions, the fact that Castile is the elephant in the room and how they seem to hold court in Toledo.

Finally, if France and England remain Catholic and it is likely both will, could there be a new Treaty of Tordesillas to carve up NA since you don't plan to have the Spanish go much further north than they did.

Great timeline once again ;)

The demographic future of North Africa is very interesting to me as well, partly becuase it has me wondering what the future really is for a region where there is a mixed Muslim/Christian society, where the Christians - despite forming the overall minority (albeit a sizable one) - are mostly an urban population with special rights denied to the Muslims.

In my opinion it depends if the Muslim converts will be accepted as equals in the christian cities with the same rights. That could increase a lot the conversions.

In the other case I think it could be like in XIX century Hungarian transylvania where in many areas there was majority Hungarian or German cities and Romanian countryside.

Regarding to the colonization of the Americas, could Spain/Iberian Union adopt a policy where they can give its subjects the freedoms to settle wherever they want throughout the empire? Like instead of directly funding some colonies they can give subjects the green lights to explore and settle places, albeit without their support?

@Torbald I recall you saying a while back that the French are gonna colonize the Southeastern U.S. ITTL (as in my ongoing timeline). Do you still have that plan?

I do :)
It will most likely start with French Protestants fleeing the conflict in France, who will be scraping by under Spanish pressure until the French monarchy decides to utilize this presence and place it under their protection.

Thank you for the reply, it has addressed most of my points in satisfying way ;) Some final thoughts though:

Ahh sweet, sweet incest. ;)
So I guess that means the crown will pass to the daughter, good to know how the inheritance works.

Strangely enough I'm not entirely sure about it, but I'm 99% certain that in this scenario the crowns would legally pass to Gabriel's nephew before any of his daughters, BUT Gabriel is fond of his own children and will insist on something of an equal understanding between Micaela and Juan Alfonso.

Didn't Juan Pelayo bind them into one just recently, at least legally? But yes the road to a fully united Spain, one that has a single culture is a long one and may never reach an end.

In his Edict of Union, Juan Pelayo made it "illegal" for the crowns of Portugal, Castile, and Aragon to be inherited by separate individuals - in other words, Portugal, Castile, and Aragon are only allowed to have the same monarch. However, any separatists in the future won't give a damn about what laws there are that ensure the three realms remain united (not that these separatists will ever be successful though). So, basically, Juan Pelayo has publicly declared that the Spanish monarchy will see to it that the Iberian Union is permanent, although there are still many things that keep the three realms sort of separate for now - for example, the customs and tolls that have to be paid when crossing or shipping over the Portuguese-Castilian and Aragonese-Castilian borders or between Castilian, Portuguese, and Aragonese ports are still in place.

I am thinking of the divide the English had, between colonies meant to make money and resources and ones for European settlers. Wouldn't most Spanish possessions be unwanted by settlers due to racists reasons of the many non-white populations present? In terms of pure settler colonies I think they only have Argentina which has that perfect mix of good climate and little to no natives.

For this NA is superior, and furthermore didn't the English and later Southern Americans make good money from tobacco, cotton, etc in the south-eastern US states?

The racism of Spaniards in the colonies is pretty exaggerated. In fact, some of the OTL Spaniards in New Spain more often were frustrated with the Amerindians because they kept dying off, rather than because they were "different." Intermarriage between Spanish/Portuguese settlers and non-whites was also pretty common, as I'm sure you know, and in the immediate post-conquest was seen as a desirable way of co-opting the existing native aristocracy into the Spanish/Portuguese empires.

Also, while Europeans were unfamiliar with much of the terrain and climate in the Americas, there were still regions in the Portuguese or Spanish Americas that were perfectly inhabitable by even the unhealthiest Iberians. For example, the foothills and valleys of the Andes, everything in Mexico beyond the coastal plains, and really anywhere that's dry enough, windy enough, or at a high enough altitude to avoid mosquitos is inhabitable (and even pleasant in many cases) for Europeans without any changes needed. Europeans in this era have also historically been able to settle in areas where tropical diseases are common by being smart about it and draining nearby swamps or by simply riding it out, leaving those with immunities to continue the settlement (this is largely what happened to the white populations of Charleston, South Carolina and Luanda, Angola before modern medicine).

Southern North America did indeed make a ton of money with cotton and tobacco, but, until the development of the Virginia strain in the late 16th century, tobacco smoke was too noxious to be inhaled. The Spanish monarchy obviously believes North America to be a Spanish possession, but much of Spain's strength needs to directed towards the protection of regions that provide Spain with the most profit (in this case, Mexico and Peru).

And I suppose the Spanish can nab Australia/NZ, they are in the best position to do so atm. Maybe parts of South Africa too if they are ruthless enough.

I'm still not sure what exactly is going to happen with Oceania, although Spain has already started a colony at Boa Esperança in South Africa in 1551.

Also when I said that I would prefer a timeline where Spain keeps and integrates her colonies I did not mean to imply going more similar to OTL with decolonization is bad. Just that I would find it more fresh if a colonial state found a way to keep much of its overseas possessions by being far sighted and giving more and eventually equal rights to people living over there. Still, good to hear Spain will keep more stuff than OTL.

What you're probably going to see happen is that the Spanish American colonies will gain their autonomy through much more peaceful means than IOTL, and they will be much more within the Spanish sphere of influence than IOTL.

And interesting to learn that the rulers of Spain are more Port. than Castilian. I actually thought they would be more Castilian given the upbringing provisions, the fact that Castile is the elephant in the room and how they seem to hold court in Toledo.

Although Manuel I of Portugal was historically very friendly and compliant with the Catholic Monarchs, he's also pretty insistent ITTL on keeping Miguel da Paz in Portugal as often as possible during his adolescence, which is to be expected given that Miguel is his eldest son and heir (and also because he wants the future Iberian Union to be inherited by a definitively Portuguese Aviz monarch). The figures that probably had the most influence on young Miguel's personality, however, were his devout mother and his equally devout maternal grandmother (Isabel I of Castile), who are responsible for his enthusiasm about crusading in North Africa.

Juan Pelayo, meanwhile, learned Portuguese as his first language growing up, but also of course was taught Castilian and Catalan for the practical reasons. However, he probably knows French better than either Castilian or Catalan due to his mother being a French princess. I've mentioned that this is somewhat embarrassing for him when he has to address the Castilian cortes. The House of Spain is gradually becoming more Castilian due to the dominance of Castile in the Iberian Union, however.

Also, while Toledo is seen as a symbolic capital for Spain, the Spanish monarchy still does not have a set capital, and is still a travelling monarchy which convenes the Portuguese cortes in Portugal, the Castilian cortes in Castile, and the Aragonese corts in Aragon.

Finally, if France and England remain Catholic and it is likely both will, could there be a new Treaty of Tordesillas to carve up NA since you don't plan to have the Spanish go much further north than they did.

Great timeline once again ;)

France and England have some complicated religious futures set for them (although I will admit that the English monarchy will remain in union with Rome), but there is definitely a lot of hubbub in Catholic Europe right now about whether or not the Treaty of Tordesillas/Inter caetera should be reconsidered, or if it should even be respected or considered valid in the first place. The papal donation of half the world to Portugal and Castile seems even more ridiculous to Catholic Europe ITTL than IOTL due to the uniting of Portugal and Castile's monarchies very shortly after Inter caetera was issued. As more countries begin to prowl the shores of the Americas, a rewriting or revocation of the "Bulls of Donation" is going to become a leading issue of European diplomacy, intrigue, and conflict.

And thank you :)

In my opinion it depends if the Muslim converts will be accepted as equals in the christian cities with the same rights. That could increase a lot the conversions.

In the other case I think it could be like in XIX century Hungarian transylvania where in many areas there was majority Hungarian or German cities and Romanian countryside.

That's what I'm wondering as well. I'm unsure as to whether or not there would be a substantial number of converts in Spanish North Africa, and I don't know how to proceed with it either because having a large number of converts would feel like I'm being unfairly generous to Spain. That is not to say there won't be converts, however, since the Spain of this TL has swallowed up a larger amount of North Africa than IOTL, and is consequently more disposed to treating the Muslim inhabitants delicately (something which historically yielded good results in the early period of evangelization after the conquest of Granada). There might be some prejudice shown towards "New Christians" in Spanish North Africa, but I doubt it will be very prevalent at all considering that there is little room on the frontier for such petty divisions, and also because Spaniards IOTL tended not to be shamed for having Muslim ancestors. Likewise, even when the Moriscos were expelled IOTL in 1609, as much as 40% of the Spanish Moriscos remained in Spain, often due to the actions of the Old Christians who protected them.

It very well might end up like OTL Transylvania, like you said, although that will definitely lead to some large scale population transfers once the 19th/20th centuries roll around...

Regarding to the colonization of the Americas, could Spain/Iberian Union adopt a policy where they can give its subjects the freedoms to settle wherever they want throughout the empire? Like instead of directly funding some colonies they can give subjects the green lights to explore and settle places, albeit without their support?

They most likely will at some point, although this might provoke a large scale rebellion in Portugal (now that Portuguese natives have lost their exclusive right to their colonies). Regarding independent colonial endeavors, the Spanish monarchy may support them in the future, although right now they're in the process of telling their subjects where they can't settle or conquer, due to the unapproved actions of certain subjects overseas which are starting hostilities with the local powers.

Great timeline, I just cannot wait to see what will happens on the XVII century.
I'm very curious about the scientific and cultural developpement of western Europe and specially Spain, so I have a few questions:
1- What's the status of the spanish inquisition?
2- You did say that the archbishop of Toledo was in a process for his sympathies to Martin Luther in 1553, but Bartolomé Carranza was appointed archbishop in 1557 after helping restoring the catholicism in England. Also, his defender during the process was Azpilicueta, the spanish economist from the Escuela de Salamanca; ITTL it's the same?
3- What happened to some important scientists like Jerónimo Girava, Pedro Juan de Lantanosa, Juanelo Turriano, Gómez Pereira, Domingo de Soto, Juan de Celaya, Juan Luis Vives and many others?
Thank for your TL and please continue whit it until the XXI century ;)

Not at all, since the first few kings were basically portugese, but that is changing now. Dont expect any language to decline until there's free movement between the 3 kingdoms. Right now, with very limited immigration, and border tolls,
The languages will be just fine.

In Iberia at least.

I'm unsure as to whether or not there would be a substantial number of converts in Spanish North Africa, and I don't know how to proceed with it either

May I offer another option?
IOTL the kingdom of Granada developped an interesting syncretism mixing christianism and islam in the form of the Lead Books of Sacromonte, a false gospel of the virgin Mary writed at the end of XVI century and considered true for almost a century (until 1682).
You can try to create some kind of gentle catholicism for the magrebi muslims, who already have different traditions like the adoration of marabouts (wise men or saints).
Good luck.

Last edited:

formion

Banned
Just caught up. What a great timeline! Kudos!

I really like the parallelism between the 80 years war and the Magreb conquest. In the long term the conquest may have far lower cost than the 80 year war for the following reasons:
a) All the fighting in the Netherlands involves professional soldiers while in North Africa the military orders have their own sources of income along with the Crown's subsidies.
b) We are already in 1560s-1570s and essentially all the coastline is held by Spain. One should not underestimate the economic impact of the Barbary raids and slave trade. 1,2 million christians were captured over the course of 2 centuries (1580-1780) the vast majority of whom were subjects of the Iberian realms (Spain, Portugal, Sicily, Sardinia, Naples). The coastline was deserted in many places. The economic impact on the Western Med states was huge. Now trade can flourish and the Western Med basin is intergrated in the spanish economy.
c) Ownership of the Southern Netherlands attracted conflict for centuries. So, the Low Countries conflict produced more conflict with France and additional costs of having for decades garrisons in Rhineland. One could argue that Magreb will attract conflict with the Ottoman Empire, but it can be that much worse from OTL.
d) Juan Pelayo's fleet organization may pay dividents. If somebody has the idea to send galleons early on in the Med, it can be a nasty suprise for the Turks. In OTL, a squadron of 5 galleons in 1616 handily defeated a fleet of 55 galleys. The 22 galleons of the Spanish armada along with the >200 Holy League galleys of Lepanto have the potential to completely dominate the sea, especially with the TTL somewhat weaker Ottoman navy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cape_Celidonia

e) If in a ATL war of the Holy League the Venetian domain is maintained then naval manpower of the Duchy of Archipelago, Crete and Cyprus won't be available for the Ottomans. When added to the lack of naval manpower from Algeria and Tunisia, then the naval might of the Ottoman Empire will be far smaller than OTL. As an example, in Lepanto, 25 out of 216 Ottoman galleys were from Algeria and Tripoli, while Greek Islanders from the Archipelago and Rhodes provided the rowers for many of the rest.

Lastly, one note for the Magreb demographics. Give it 4 centuries and by 1900 everything north of the Atlas mountains will have an overwhelming christian majority, not just a sizeable minority, with parts being not much different demographically than Andalusia or Sicily. The Iberian peninsula and South Italy, were the loins of Europe for centuries. In fact, I believe that only South Italy may produce a christian North Africa on its own with this POD. To the south italians are added also North Italians according to the author. Moreover, parts of the Crown of Aragon such as the hilly Old Aragon are a natural source of settlers. To these we have to add any Castillians and soldier land-grants. So the settler sources are here.

Furthermore, the low intensity conflict with raids and counter-raids with the occasional major campaign of the regular army will produce vast devastation over the decades and centuries. The pale of settlement will continously expand and grab the most productive agricultural regions. Once this has been achieved, then the Atlas highlands and the Sahara cannot sustain a large muslim population. In any case, the Spanish won't have to deal with millions of muslim subjects: in 1820 there were about 1,5 million muslims in the whole of Algeria. In the 16th century with a state of perpetual warfare and punitive expeditions I think they would be quite fewer.

There I expect all the farming region as shown in the link below to be majority christian.
http://www.fao.org/3/y1860e/y1860e08.jpg

Spain may find in Magreb a valuable source of grain, a source that it is not controlled by foreign (read Dutch) merchants. For the Algerian colonial economy check this link https://e-archivo.uc3m.es/bitstream...ravall-laura-tesis.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

The integration of the Spanish-Magreb-South Italian economy will result in a much richer West Med. Lastly, the Spanish Mare Nostrum will result in a much stronger geopolitical situation vis-a-vis to France, the Italian states, Papacy and the Ottoman Empire.

Btw, did the Ottoman-Venetian War of 1537-1540 happen already? If not then the Venetians still hold Monemvasia and Nafplion in the Peloponnese. In OTL the warlike Maniots in the Peloponnese were hoping for the Holy League to invade the peninsula after Lepanto. However, no follow-up was attempted resulting in the Ottoman control of the Aegean Sea.

Last edited:
Great timeline, I just cannot wait to see what will happens on the XVII century.
I'm very curious about the scientific and cultural developpement of western Europe and specially Spain, so I have a few questions:
1- What's the status of the spanish inquisition?
2- You did say that the archbishop of Toledo was in a process for his sympathies to Martin Luther in 1553, but Bartolomé Carranza was appointed archbishop in 1557 after helping restoring the catholicism in England. Also, his defender during the process was Azpilicueta, the spanish economist from the Escuela de Salamanca; ITTL it's the same?
3- What happened to some important scientists like Jerónimo Girava, Pedro Juan de Lantanosa, Juanelo Turriano, Gómez Pereira, Domingo de Soto, Juan de Celaya, Juan Luis Vives and many others?
Thank for your TL and please continue whit it until the XXI century ;)

Thank you :):)

1. The Holy Office of the Inquisition is alive and well, and is present in Castile, Portugal, and Aragon (which means it's also in Naples and Sicily), and is being gradually set up in the Americas. However, as in OTL, it's becoming highly unpopular with the aristocracy and upper class, and is losing favor with the monarchy due to its power and independence.

2. Carranza was elevated to the See of Toledo earlier ITTL due to different circumstances, and was not needed in England as in OTL due to England still being Catholic.

3. I've been wanting to do an update about science/culture/art in TTL Spain at some point (not sure when), so you can expect to hear about them in the future :)

I assume no one is expecting it.;)

I don't have the time to read the entire thread, but has the Portuguese language died yet?

Not at all, since the first few kings were basically portugese, but that is changing now. Dont expect any language to decline until there's free movement between the 3 kingdoms. Right now, with very limited immigration, and border tolls,
The languages will be just fine.

In Iberia at least.

The Portuguese language is far from dead, although there is some small-scale linguistic mixing taking place in some areas since movement between Aragon, Castile, and Portugal is a lot easier (and also much more encouraged) than IOTL, so the individual languages are actually more likely to survive overseas than in Iberia.

May I offer another option?
IOTL the kingdom of Granada developped an interesting syncretism mixing christianism and islam in the form of the Lead Books of Sacromonte, a false gospel of the virgin Mary writed at the end of XVI century and considered true for almost a century (until 1682).
You can try to create some kind of gentle catholicism for the magrebi muslims, who already have different traditions like the adoration of marabouts (wise men or saints).
Good luck.

That's really interesting, and something I hadn't thought about. I can see strong saint-cults springing up among the Moorish converts that are centered on North African figures, such as St. Cassian of Tangiers, St. Marcellus of Tangier, St. Victor the Moor, St. Nabor and Felix, St. Caecilius, or even St. Augustine. There could also be a sort of unofficially segregated set of Catholic cultures in Spanish North Africa, with one being centered around Portuguese/Castilian speakers and the other around Arabic/Amazigh speakers who keep most aspects of their previous culture (such as bathing rituals and Arab/Berber clothing).

Just caught up. What a great timeline! Kudos!

I really like the parallelism between the 80 years war and the Magreb conquest. In the long term the conquest may have far lower cost than the 80 year war for the following reasons:
a) All the fighting in the Netherlands involves professional soldiers while in North Africa the military orders have their own sources of income along with the Crown's subsidies.
b) We are already in 1560s-1570s and essentially all the coastline is held by Spain. One should not underestimate the economic impact of the Barbary raids and slave trade. 1,2 million christians were captured over the course of 2 centuries (1580-1780) the vast majority of whom were subjects of the Iberian realms (Spain, Portugal, Sicily, Sardinia, Naples). The coastline was deserted in many places. The economic impact on the Western Med states was huge. Now trade can flourish and the Western Med basin is intergrated in the spanish economy.
c) Ownership of the Southern Netherlands attracted conflict for centuries. So, the Low Countries conflict produced more conflict with France and additional costs of having for decades garrisons in Rhineland. One could argue that Magreb will attract conflict with the Ottoman Empire, but it can be that much worse from OTL.
d) Juan Pelayo's fleet organization may pay dividents. If somebody has the idea to send galleons early on in the Med, it can be a nasty suprise for the Turks. In OTL, a squadron of 5 galleons in 1616 handily defeated a fleet of 55 galleys. The 22 galleons of the Spanish armada along with the >200 Holy League galleys of Lepanto have the potential to completely dominate the sea, especially with the TTL somewhat weaker Ottoman navy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cape_Celidonia

e) If in a ATL war of the Holy League the Venetian domain is maintained then naval manpower of the Duchy of Archipelago, Crete and Cyprus won't be available for the Ottomans. When added to the lack of naval manpower from Algeria and Tunisia, then the naval might of the Ottoman Empire will be far smaller than OTL. As an example, in Lepanto, 25 out of 216 Ottoman galleys were from Algeria and Tripoli, while Greek Islanders from the Archipelago and Rhodes provided the rowers for many of the rest.

Lastly, one note for the Magreb demographics. Give it 4 centuries and by 1900 everything north of the Atlas mountains will have an overwhelming christian majority, not just a sizeable minority, with parts being not much different demographically than Andalusia or Sicily. The Iberian peninsula and South Italy, were the loins of Europe for centuries. In fact, I believe that only South Italy may produce a christian North Africa on its own with this POD. To the south italians are added also North Italians according to the author. Moreover, parts of the Crown of Aragon such as the hilly Old Aragon are a natural source of settlers. To these we have to add any Castillians and soldier land-grants. So the settler sources are here.

Furthermore, the low intensity conflict with raids and counter-raids with the occasional major campaign of the regular army will produce vast devastation over the decades and centuries. The pale of settlement will continously expand and grab the most productive agricultural regions. Once this has been achieved, then the Atlas highlands and the Sahara cannot sustain a large muslim population. In any case, the Spanish won't have to deal with millions of muslim subjects: in 1820 there were about 1,5 million muslims in the whole of Algeria. In the 16th century with a state of perpetual warfare and punitive expeditions I think they would be quite fewer.

There I expect all the farming region as shown in the link below to be majority christian.
http://www.fao.org/3/y1860e/y1860e08.jpg

Spain may find in Magreb a valuable source of grain, a source that it is not controlled by foreign (read Dutch) merchants. For the Algerian colonial economy check this link https://e-archivo.uc3m.es/bitstream...ravall-laura-tesis.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

The integration of the Spanish-Magreb-South Italian economy will result in a much richer West Med. Lastly, the Spanish Mare Nostrum will result in a much stronger geopolitical situation vis-a-vis to France, the Italian states, Papacy and the Ottoman Empire.

Btw, did the Ottoman-Venetian War of 1537-1540 happen already? If not then the Venetians still hold Monemvasia and Nafplion in the Peloponnese. In OTL the warlike Maniots in the Peloponnese were hoping for the Holy League to invade the peninsula after Lepanto. However, no follow-up was attempted resulting in the Ottoman control of the Aegean Sea.

All of this is very useful information, and an insightful perspective, thank you :)

You raise good points about Spanish North Africa. The only reason I have been expressing doubts about the extent of Spanish conquest or settlement in the Maghreb is because I want to avoid an immersion-breaking Spain-wank, although you have proven that Spain is in a much, much better situation in the Western Mediterranean than IOTL. I have been made aware of the Maghreb's value as a grain supplier when researching the Gharb region of Morocco, apparently the Moroccan Sus and Algerian Kabylia also were producing surplus grain during this period. I wonder, though, how many of the Spanish will be determined in settling these regions personally when there are other colonies in the Americas or elsewhere that they could go to where they won't have to contend with a hostile Muslim populace. Right now, much of the farming in Spanish North Africa is still undertaken by the Moors, although under the supervision of the encomienda system (known as doações in Portuguese). There are sure to be at least some conversions to Christianity taking place among these "mouros da paz," as well as among the Muslim inhabitants of the Spanish-controlled cities and the Muslim auxiliaries serving the Spanish military, and I'm sure there are also a significant number of Spaniards who will be settling in North Africa due to the closeness of North Africa compared to the Americas and also due to the monarchy's generous aid to those willing to settle the region.

The Spanish will - at some point - realize that their real advantage over the Ottomans lies in not in a superior number of galleys but in their superior firepower (something they and the rest of Europe realized IOTL). Since Spain ITTL is going to be taking naval supremacy more seriously, expect the Mediterranean (and elsewhere) to see an earlier, more prominent entry of Spanish galleons bristling with cannons. However, as for Venice, I don't think they're going to be too lucky once relations with the Ottomans begin to (inevitably) deteriorate. The Venetian-Ottoman War of 1537-1540 has not happened, mostly due to Venice and the Turks entering into a friendly arrangement (which mostly involves the Venetians kowtowing to the High Porte and providing the Turks with trade discounts and occasional naval support), so if the Ottomans are going to kick the Venetians out of the Eastern Mediterranean entirely, they're going to have a lot of work to do (since the Venetians currently control Nafplion and Monemvasia, as you said, along with Crete, Cyprus, the Duchy of the Archipelago, the Ionian Islands, and also Rhodes ITTL).

formion

Banned
I wonder, though, how many of the Spanish will be determined in settling these regions personally when there are other colonies in the Americas or elsewhere that they could go to where they won't have to contend with a hostile Muslim populace.

Well I think that it will depend on two major factors: If the Aragonese are restricted to settle in the Americas, at least during the first decades and cost of immigration. Granted, I am talking about the 19th century, a lot of Spanish and Italians settled in Algeria and Tunisia even though countries such as the USA and Argentina were the "promising lands" of the era. Sicily and Naples are prime sources of rural poor that cannot afford the voyage to the Americas and/or nobles with no vested interests that are willing to sponsor immigration overseas. Perhaps the same can be with areas of the Crown of Aragon.

With the POD so early and with such dominance of the seaboard, it is not a spanish wank. For example, after 4 centuries of Ottoman rule in the Balkans, the muslim population was something like 25-30% the vast majority of whom were converts and not Anatolian Turks settlers. The catholic orders were histortically much more successful and organized in proselytism. If you combine this factor with the settlers, the more active attitude of the Spanish Crown (vis a vis the Sublime Porte) in conversion and the fact that the area is a warzone instead of a stable empire, then it makes absolute sense to have an overwhelming christian majority.

If you really want to make a spanish dominated globe, have a basque or portuguese colony in Newfoundland... :D

since the Venetians currently control Nafplion and Monemvasia, as you said, along with Crete, Cyprus, the Duchy of the Archipelago, the Ionian Islands, and also Rhodes ITTL

That's a lot of naval-savvy manpower. In every age (before steam) the policy makers understood the value of seamen and fishermen as a manpower source. Just to deny them to the enemy is valuable. If anything you can find such notions from Thucydides to Mahan. When added to the loss of the Barbary pirates, it seems that the Mediterranean is in the process of becoming a spanish lake.

Continue the great work !

40. The Great Turkish War - Part II: The One-Eyed Sultan
~ The Great Turkish War ~
Part II:
- The One-Eyed Sultan -

MehmetIII.png

Mehmet III

"I who am the Sultan of Sultans,
the sovereign of sovereigns,
the dispenser of crowns to the monarchs on the face of the earth,
the shadow of God over the Earth,
the Sultan and sovereign lord of the Mediterranean Sea and of the Black Sea, of Rumelia and of Anatolia, of Karamania, of the land of Romans, of Dhulkadria, of Diyarbakir, of Kurdistan, of Azerbaijan, of Persia, of Damascus, of Aleppo, of Cairo, of Mecca, of Medina, of Jerusalem, of all Arabia, of Yemen and of many other lands which my noble forefathers and my glorious ancestors (may God light up their tombs!) conquered by the force of their arms and which my August Majesty has made subject to my radiant sword and my victorious blade,
I, Sultan Mehmet Khan,
son of Sultan Musa Khan,
son of Sultan Selim Khan:

To thee who art Philippus, son of Carolus, king of the province of Austria...”​

The words with which Mehmet III addressed Philipp II in 1560 made clear the sultan’s regard for the office inherited by the newly crowned Holy Roman Emperor. The letter came at a moment of serious tension: Ottoman soldiers were present in the kingdom of Hungary, having invaded from Belgrade in 1558 and had already seized and were garrisoning a number of towns. Around the time of the battle of Darmstadt in 1554, the very name of Charles V had begun to carry an aura of dread in the courts of his rivals, and the High Porte was uncharacteristically (if understandably) trepidatious in its decision to finally re-invade Hungary. This uneasiness subsided when word arrived that the Iron Kaiser had breathed his last in 1560, emboldening Mehmet III to express his intentions more openly and more brashly.

The difficulty in maintaining supply lines across the Pannonian Basin (and the closeness of the region to Vienna) had been sufficiently emphasized during the past invasions, and consequently Mehmet III was uninterested in a full annexation of Hungary. What the sultan instead desired was a solution to the Habsburg problem that was long-term enough to allow the High Porte to divert much-needed resources to more pressing theatres - namely North Africa and the Mediterranean - where the Ottoman state could gather up the loyalties of the nearby Sunni princes and thereby bring the full weight of Islam to bear on the heavily divided Christians. With Belgrade in Turkish hands, the Danubian frontier was well-protected geographically - all that remained was to break the Hungarian and German spirit and force House of Habsburg to kneel before the Sultan of Sultans. Nothing less than an overwhelming strike at the heart of Hungary would suffice.

Mehmet III offered Philipp II something the latter desperately needed: a lasting peace between them and their subjects. Mehmet III promised a withdrawal across the Danube aso long as Philipp II could submit to his humble terms: an annual tribute of 400,000 ducats, along with 100 boys and 100 girls of good health, and the permanent withdrawal of Imperial and Hungarian garrisons from Bácspalánka, Újvidék, Eszék, Arad, Déva, Vajdahunyad, and Vukovár. If Philipp II found the yearly surrender of 200 Christian youths to Konstantiniyye to be intolerable, the Sultan was willing to alternatively accept 600,000 ducats a year. Needless to say, Philipp II was insulted by such outrageous terms, and ordered his scribe to inform Mehmet III that the Sultan would sooner be cut down on the Hungarian plain than be allowed to pry a single coin from the Imperial coffers. This was all very well for Mehmet III, who anticipated Philipp II’s rejection. The Shadow of Allah upon the earth began to move, and the earth shook with the approach of more than one hundred thousand of his soldiers, thundering onward under the red banners of Osman Gazi.

- Selbstmord durch Schulden -

Philipp&Philippine.png

Philipp II von Habsburg & Philippine Welser

The Kaiser, meanwhile, was scrambling to rake together the funds to raise his own troops and buy over the cooperation of hundreds of quarreling princes. The news of the intensification of the Ottoman invasion of Hungary had first found its way to George Zápolya (the pretender John Zápolya’s brother, who had been given a prestigious position on the newly formed command council of the Hungarian Royal Army by Charles V): the Hungarian scouting parties in the desolate no-man’s land of Temesköz reported in December of 1559 that a massive reinforcement - larger than they had ever seen before - was assembling outside the walls of Belgrade and Pancsova. Zápolya requested a meeting with Johann Karl, Philipp II’s younger brother and his Reichsvikar in the lands of the Bohemian Crown and representative in the Hungarian Diet. After convening with Zápolya, Johann Karl immediately sent a messenger to Philipp II, who found the Kaiser at Reims, where he was in the midst of overwhelming exasperation over the quickly unraveling peace talks with the French.

Had the House of Hapsburg been less ambitious, or - more importantly - not so intensely assailed on all sides during the 16th century, they easily could have been the wealthiest potentates in the Western world. The Hapsburgs could for the most part hoist all of their elaborate machinations with the exceptional tax revenue extracted from their affluent vassals in the Low Countries, as well as on the many silver and copper mines of Tyrol, Bohemia, and the Carpathian Mountains. In fact, before the treasure fleets began rolling in from Spanish America, the lands held by the Hapsburgs made them the most silver-rich family in Europe. However, 12 years of war with the League of Fulda and 20 years of war with France, numerous invasions and raids from the Ottoman Turks, countless popular rebellions, and, of course, the massive payoffs that were needed to keep the Imperial crown in Hapsburg hands had all placed a tremendous weight on the Imperial treasury during the reign of Charles V, who, by the time of his death, had left a floating debt of 9 million ducats, with a repayment obligation of 20 million ducats. During Charles V’s later years this debt had led to an increasing reliance on the Fugger and Welser banking families, who were rewarded with a plethora of aristocratic titles in exchange for their loans. The Welsers in particular attained the capstone of their influence over the Emperor with the betrothal of Franz Welser’s daughter, Philippine, to Charles V’s eldest son, Philipp - although their marriage was partly due to the insistence of Philipp, who from a young age was taken with Philippine, a woman renowned for her intelligence and beauty.

Fuggers.png

Anton Fugger burning banknotes to get a point across to Charles V

The institution of the Gemeiner Pfennig (Common Penny) at the Diet of Mühlhausen mollified the Hapsburgs’ creditors and ensured that the Imperial treasury would sidestep certain financial disaster, but Philipp II was still limited in its use. The Gemeiner Pfennig was a bitter pill for both the Imperial princes and the Imperial cities, and - even after the emperor’s decisive victory and display of might at Darmstadt in 1554 - would never have tolerated its passage unless serious concessions were made. The concession that was made would place the disbursement of the Gemeiner Pfennig under the absolute supervision of the Reichkreisrat - a council of individuals elected to represent each of the Imperial circles. Of the 9 Imperial circles, the Hapsburgs could only rely on 4 at most to consistently fall in line with their objectives. To make matters worse, the League of Fulda’s “Unbesiegte Fürsten” (“undefeated princes”) - Wilhelm III of Jülich-Cleves-Berg and Ernst I of Brunswick-Lüneburg - were invariably chosen to represent their respective Imperial circles, and used this authority to subvert Hapsburg dominance in whatever way they could (without openly challenging the emperor, of course).

In order to maintain the Protestant-Catholic concord that was reached at the Diet of Mühlhausen, Philipp would have to ensure that the leading Protestant princes of the Empire made good on their gestures of support in the inevitable conflict against the Turk. Securing the military assistance of these Protestant princes was vitally important for both the defense of Hungary and for the continuation of inter-confessional peace in Germany. This importance was not lost on Philipp in the months following the news from Johann Karl. As he was hesitant to swell the loathsome debt hovering over his court and was constrained by his overbearing creditors in regards to when and where he could spend his money, Philipp knew that he would never come close to numerically matching Mehmet III’s armies unless he could see to it that the powerholders of the Holy Roman Empire all pulled together.

Philipp, the Landgrave of Hesse, as one of the most prominent defenders of Protestantism in the Empire and the former guardian of Johann Albrecht Meyer, was the most symbolically important prince to persuade. Deciding to make use of the weight of imperial presence, Philipp personally rode to the landgrave’s hunting lodge in the Habichtswald to guarantee his support. Philipp of Hesse gradually came around, and pledged to send his son, Wilhelm, to Vienna in the Spring. Philipp needed to make more tangible overtures to secure his old Protestant allies, particularly the esteemed commander Maurice of Saxony, to whom Philipp had to relinquish the Silesian enclave of Schwiebus and a protectorate over the Imperial cities of Goslar and Nordhausen.

The Catholic princes were much easier to rally: Philipp II’s brother-in-law Albrecht V, duke of Bavaria, Wolfgang, Elector of the Palatinate, Julius, the son of Heinrich V, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg, and Philibert, Margrave of Baden-Baden, and Adriano I, Duke of Savoy all arrived in Vienna with their retinues and soldiery by June, without Philipp ever needing to request their help. By August, the scions of the House of Hapsburg had assembled in Vienna - Philipp II was joined by his brothers Johann Karl and Maximilian (Philipp’s Reichsvikar in Flanders), and also by his cousins, Ferdinand’s sons Karl (Landkomtur of the bailiwick of Austria) and Cardinal Heinrich (bishop of Brixen and Konstanz). After nearly 7 months of maddening labor, Philipp had managed to assemble more than 75,000 troops in Vienna, to which was added another 15,000 after his large army had lumbered down the Danube to Pressburg in October. He was running out of time however - as soon as he had arrived in Pressburg, Mehmet III was approaching the royal city of Buda.

Buda.png

- A félszemű ördög -

The ease with which the Ottomans entered the Pannonian Basin during their 1526-1529 and 1535-1541 invasions had terrified the Hungarian populace and convinced Charles V to improve the fortifications of the vulnerable Alföld, re-fortifying Kecskemét, Pécs, Kiskunfélegyháza, Szekszárd, Szabadka, Szeged, Kiskunhalas, Zombor, Csongrád, Szolnok, Eszék, Szentes, Arad, and Baja. Charles V was prudent to order the construction of additional fortifications, but even these improvements underestimated the expertise of the Ottomans in siege warfare, which they handled with an unmatched ingenuity and ferocity. Beginning in late March of 1560, the Turks blasted through Eszék, Arad, Zombor, and Szabadka in a matter of weeks, and moved to encircle the war council in Szeged. István Dobó, head of the council, had to hold the city with only 8,000 Hungarians men-at-arms (the kingdom’s only year-round standing army) against 134,000 Turks, Slavs, and Tatars under Mehmet III.

The sheer size of the Ottoman army and Mehmet’s decision to assault Szeged rather than to immediately follow the Danube up to Buda led Philipp II and the Hungarian war council to believe that Mehmet intended to methodically and permanently subdue every inch of the Pannonian Basin, just as his father had done in Egypt and the Levant. In reality, the sack of Buda was Mehmet’s only goal in this campaign, and the siege of Szeged was meant merely to remove a threat to his army’s supply lines. While busy in Germany, Philipp kept a line of communication to Szeged, where he directed whatever arms, armor, soldiers, and funds he could spare, keeping in frequent contact with István Dobó in order to remind him of the absolute seriousness of Szeged’s defense and to urge him not to lose heart. Whatever Dobó took from Philipp’s letters, he served his king honorably, refusing Mehmet’s generous terms for his surrender and miraculously holding out against the sultan for nearly two months. When the Ottomans finally captured Dobó after breaching the city’s defenses, Mehmet requested that he be brought to his tent, where the sultan personally decapitated the Hungarian general.

After making short work of the defenses of Baja and Szekszárd, Mehmet encamped along the Danube near Paks to prepare for the winter and to amass further reinforcement in order to counter the impending arrival of Philipp II’s sizeable army. When Philipp II and his princely cohorts finally neared Buda in late February of 1561, Mehmet III had already been settled in before its walls for two weeks. While stationed in Vác, Philipp’s outriders reported that the sultan commanded a force of nearly 134,000. The desperation of besieged Buda and the solemn spirit of crusade within Philipp’s camp forbade any further tarrying.

Neither Philipp nor Mehmet truly desired a set piece battle, but the unusual circumstances now forced both armies into an engagement of apocalyptic proportion. As a flat-out withdrawal from Buda would render either entire campaign an expensive waste of time, both emperors decided that the infidel was to be confronted directly, and Philipp moved his army south while Mehmet ordered his army on the west bank of the Danube into a defensive arrangement. The Imperial army did not, however, approach from the west bank of the Danube and proceed under the protection of the fortifications of Buda, but instead moved down the east bank with unexpected speed, keeping a distance from Pest as well. Under the impression that Philipp was trying to take the sultan’s camp by surprise, Rüstem Pasha, the grand vizier, convinced Mehmet III to withdraw whatever forces he could across the Danube to draw up a line against the cascading Germans. What Philipp and the Imperial leadership had actually elected to do was simply take the field without fully probing the layout of the Ottoman army, not to force a pitched battle right away.

Lerchenfeld.png

The Battle of Lerchenfeld/Rákos

Clashing on the old marshaling field of Rákos, the Imperial army gained the momentum when a large regiment of light deli cavalry attempted to circle around the field and descend on Philipp’s rearguard, but were intercepted and dispersed by heavy Hungarian lancers, who then drove straight into a now unprotected line of yaya peasant infantry. The odds reversed when a cavalry charge led by Albrecht V of Bavaria and Albrecht II of Brandenburg-Kulmbach veered too close to the banks of the Danube, bringing it within range of a line of Ottoman artillery on the west side. Their attention drawn to the bicephalous eagle of the Imperial banners, the Ottoman cannons turned away from the walls of Buda and opened fire, sending the Imperial cavalry into a frenzy. A company of timariots noticed the disruption and moved to flank their opponents, which in turn rallied the fleeing Ottoman infantry to re-enter the fray. The morale of the Imperial cavalry wavered, and ultimately fell to pieces when Albrecht V was unhorsed by a Turkish lance. The opening provided by the retreat of the Bavarian and Franconian cavalry was misleading, however: the Ottomans spilling through stretched their army further alongside the Danube, while also blocking the assistance of their own artillery and bringing themselves within range of the late-arriving Imperial cannons. With the Ottomans’ west flank suddenly setting itself up thinly the Danube and with most of the Ottoman artillery still in position around the southern and western walls of Buda, Maurice of Saxony advised Philipp to focus as much of his resources on Mehmet III’s east flank in order to keep a proper distance from the feared Turkish cannons and also to more fully force the sultan’s back against the river.

Karl, Philipp II’s cousin, and Emanuele, the Avís-Trastámara Duke of Calabria, volunteered to lead the first westward charge, and Philipp II and Maurice of Saxony followed them closely. Disarray now eagerly consumed both armies, but Philipp had managed a slight advantage, which now sent hundreds of Ottoman soldiers fleeing into the river. Mehmet III discreetly ferried himself and his baggage across the Danube to the southwest, and then ordered a general retreat over the river. While there were a small number of boats capable of ferrying the withdrawing troops, the Ottomans only had one narrow pontoon bridge available, which was destroyed on Mehmet III’s order when his forces on the east bank became completely encircled. After overwhelming the Turkish garrison in the city of Pest, the Imperial and Ottoman armies exchanged potshots across the Danube as the battle entered a standoff. To the surprise of Philipp II and the exhausted defenders of Buda, the Ottomans began to clear out their trenches and pack up their tents, moving southward. The Imperial army cautiously began to assemble its own pontoon bridge and cross the river in order to reinforce the city. They awaited the Ottoman army to reposition itself and return to battle, but Mehmet’s withdrawal continued and the Turks did not return. The Ottomans made one detour to Kecskemét - which they sacked mercilessly - and then carried on towards Belgrade.

SiegeOfBuda.png

The Christian army could hardly believe its triumph over the warriors of Islam, but the reality of their success was much bleaker than it first appeared. Buda and most of Hungary may have been saved, but the relief of the city came only with serious sacrifice. The Turks may have significantly outnumbered the army of Philipp II, but most of Mehmet’s troops were either at the walls of Buda itself or elsewhere foraging supplies and garrisoning other Hungarian towns, and therefore were not present for the deciding battle on the banks of the Danube. While the Ottoman army suffered heavy losses, many of the casualties came from their Slavic auxiliaries - most of whom, ironically, were Christian. Notably, of the 8,000 janissaries deployed, only 1,500 were slain, wounded, or taken prisoner despite bearing the brunt of the Imperial assault while guarding Mehmet’s retreat. In a combination of desperation and crusading fervor, the Imperial army had paid little attention to its own losses as it pushed the Turks back, and consequently lost a comparable (and possibly larger) share of its troops. Albrecht V, Duke of Bavaria, and Julius, the son of Heinrich V, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg, had both been cut down on the field, which was worrying for Philipp II: Albrecht had been one of the Hapsburg’s most vigorous Catholic allies and now left his duchy to his 13 year old son, and Heinrich V - virtually the last prominent Catholic prince in Northern Germany - was now deprived of his only heir. What was more, the Ottomans had made off with their trump card: Philipp’s brother Maximilian, who had been captured after leading a cavalry charge too deep into a company of retreating janissaries.

Less than one month after the defense of Buda, an imperial envoy rode into Mehmet’s camp outside of Zombor at full tilt. The sultan was said to have greeted the man with an enigmatic smile, fully aware of why he had arrived and satisfied that he had achieved his goal in Hungary. As the word spread that the great One-Eyed Sultan had been heroically repulsed by the Holy Roman Emperor, princes and bishops near and far ordered the singing of Te Deum’s while crowds jubilantly celebrated in the streets of Vienna, Rome, and Naples. All were equally dumbstruck when word arrived that Philipp II would now be paying the Sultan an annual tribute of 100,000 ducats in exchange for a ten-year peace treaty and the return of his brother. With the House of Hapsburg humbled by Mehmet III, the inhabitants of Southern Italy crossed themselves in fear as the High Porte turned its gaze to the west.

- O Espadarte Preto -

The treaty of 1535 may have been observed in Europe, but, in the lawless waters of the Indian Ocean, the violent struggle between the Spanish and Ottoman empires carried on without interruption. After gaining access to the Red Sea - and therefore to the Indian Ocean - with the downfall of the Mamluk Sultanate, the Ottomans began probing the region at once, reaching out to the local Islamic states as soon as it could. The Ottomans were too late to offer any aid to the Sultanate of Adal in its perennial struggle against Ethiopia, nor to the city of Harar - which had been seized by the Ethiopians and forced to pay tribute - and the port of Zeila - which had been sacked by the Portuguese navy twice. Spain, meanwhile, had successfully gained the trust and partnership of the Ethiopian emperor, Dawit II, after providing him with assistance in developing the port of Massawa and pushing back a Somali invasion with 7 ships and 400 Portuguese musketeers under Cristóvão da Gama. However, Ottoman emissaries and small shipments of arms and artillery still made their way to the seafaring Somalis, and East Africa soon became another battleground between the Spaniards and Turks - whether directly or by proxy.

Of greater concern to the Spanish was the Ottoman takeover of Mamluk Egypt. The port of as-Suways - while marginal - could easily be developed into a major shipyard, against which the Portuguese were already stretched too thin to withstand. Although the Turks needed to ship massive quantities of building material overseas to Egypt and then overland across the Isthmus of Suez in order to deploy a fleet in the Red Sea, this distance was insignificant compared to that which the Portuguese needed to cover. The resources available to the Ottomans for shipbuilding were also vastly superior. The construction and manning of a warship in the 16th century was a highly expensive undertaking, but the Ottoman Empire was truly fortunate in its possession of the Balkans, which supplied a profusion of lumber, iron, pitch, and, of course, slaves - all of which was fed ravenously into the foundries and maritime facilities on the waterfront of Konstantiniyye, unleashing galley upon galley to terrorize the Mediterranean. In contrast, it was not uncommon for the construction of Spanish-made vessels to require shipments of pinewood from as far away as Scotland or Poland.

With fewer than 10,000 Spaniards to be found anywhere from Boa Esperança to Malaca, the Spanish presence in the Indian Ocean was also chronically undermanned and could only be expanded with severe logistical difficulty. These Spaniards ground their teeth at the thought that, had they simply elected to travel west instead of east, at this point they could easily have been living the good life on a Brazilian plantation, spending their days getting drunk on cachaça and enjoying the company of a dozen or so African and Indio concubines. Instead, as fate would have it, they had chosen to insert themselves into the crowded, complicated, conflictual world of the Orient, where they were bound to remain by duty to God and country, to continue fighting the good fight against impossible odds with almost nonexistent resources. A Portuguese campaign ravaged the Ottoman-held ports of Jeddah, Hala’ib, and el-Qoseir, but by the 1560s the Ottoman presence in the Red Sea had grown too large for the Portuguese to stamp out, and as-Suways became the sizeable naval base that they feared it would. Control of Aden became critically important, and needed as large a garrison as it could hold, supported by special shipments of fruit from Moçambique and Sofala, rice from Malabar, and wine from Portugal (sometimes from the budding vineyards of Boa Esperança). The Portuguese likewise invested in fortifying and garrisoning the port of Massawa in order to safeguard their connection with Ethiopia.

Aden.png

Aden

A bizarre stroke of fate confounded the Ottoman entry into the Indian Ocean early on, however. When the sharif of Mecca, Abu Numayy II, offered his fealty to Mehmet III, the Portuguese reached out to the sharif’s youngest son, Hasan, and promised him a massive reward if he smuggled the Abbasid Caliph and the relics of Muhammad to the port of Jeddah. In 1551, Hasan - keen on living a life of luxury beyond the reach of his father and older brother - narrowly made it out of Mecca with Caliph Al-Musta'in II just before a 15,000 man Turkish army entered the city and took full control of the sharifate. Mehmet may have gained the holy cities of Mecca and Medina, but the titular caliph and Muhammad’s relics were now en route to the port of Aden. A personal letter from Sultan Mehmet very quickly found its way to the commander of Portuguese Aden, António de Noronha, warning him that Aden would be put to siege and no quarter would be given to any Spaniard if Al-Musta'in II and his possessions were not immediately relinquished. João de Castro, viceroy of the Estado da Índia, made the momentous decision to hand over Al-Musta'in II and his sons to the delegate of none other than Tahmasp I - Shah of Persia. Against all odds, the sword and mantle of Muhammad and the living Sunni caliph were swiped yet again from Ottoman capture, and had instead found their way into the hands of the Shia Safavid dynasty.

Afonso de Albuquerque's dream of a seemingly paradoxical Hispano-Persian-Ethiopian alliance had finally begun to be realized, although military cooperation between the three regional powers was still very meager. Yet even on the far side of the globe were relations unfolding and lessons being learned that would have an effect on the conflict in the Mediterranean. For one, what the intermittent naval warfare in the Indian Ocean did teach the Spaniards was that - if properly used - they possessed a major advantage in their multi-decked sailing ships. The superiority of the galleon over the galley and galiot, and of overwhelming firepower over older strategies had become more and more obvious to the Portuguese in Asia after countless battles with the local seafarers. Nicknamed by wokou sailors as the “black swordfish,” the galleon was virtually unassailable in most encounters, and came to be feared and avoided. With the Turks sinking Spain’s Italian mercenary galleys faster than they could be replaced, the Spanish monarchy would need to call up its galleons to replace them.

Galleon.png

The black swordfish

Last edited:
I found very interesting and perhaps, even if at the larger term, with more deeply consequences first the seemingly imminent tactical change in the Mediterranean with seems that soon introduction and use of fleets with mainly galleons and last but not least the Philip II marriage with this ATL wife...besides for the dynasty for the future of the Empire itself...

Last edited: