Una diferente ‘Plus Ultra’ - the Avís-Trastámara Kings of All Spain and the Indies (Updated 11/7)

With the rulers of England and the Netherlands being Catholic currently, we have also seemingly avoided the OTL religious rivalry they shared with the Iberian powers, which was in many ways a major contributing factor to the death knell of the Catholic mission in early 17th century Japan. The shared religious confession that TTL's English and Dutch have with the Spanish is going to be a multiplier on the spread of Catholicism, and such unity obviously won't damage the image of Christianity the way the inter-confessional strife of OTL did.
Despite the religious "unity" between the likeliest colonial powers at this time, there's still going to political and regional rivalries to contend with. The Spanish and Portuguese of our timeline were as zealously devoted to promoting Catholicism as the unified Spanish are here, so it could be worth noting that if the Japanese start receiving French, English, Dutch, and German merchants all confessing the same faith but not trying so hard to evangelize like the Spanish, they could be more receptive to the more secular nature of the later merchants.

Despite the religious "unity" between the likeliest colonial powers at this time, there's still going to political and regional rivalries to contend with. The Spanish and Portuguese of our timeline were as zealously devoted to promoting Catholicism as the unified Spanish are here, so it could be worth noting that if the Japanese start receiving French, English, Dutch, and German merchants all confessing the same faith but not trying so hard to evangelize like the Spanish, they could be more receptive to the more secular nature of the later merchants.

You're right. The Spanish are definitely going to be ruled out as preferred European trade partner by the more anti-Christian leaning daimyos (which are probably going to constitute a plurality of the daimyos) once another European power shows up in the neighborhood. Additionally, the thalassocratic nature of the Spanish Empire and its involvement in East Asia are going to make Spain and the dominant power in Japan natural rivals later on. However, the militant religious approach and superior power base in East Asia compared to other European powers early on are going to make Spain the best friend of Japan's Christian daimyos.

Another thing to consider is that the Catholicism of TTL's England and Netherlands puts more pressure on the Japanese to tolerate Christianity. While the English and Dutch will probably win out over the Spanish in the Japanese trade due to their less vigorous zeal for proselytization, they're going to have a serious objection to the kind of violent persecution that the Japanese Christian populace was subjected to IOTL. Whereas the Dutch actually encouraged the extirpation of Catholics IOTL (even by violent means), the Catholic English and Dutch would probably avoid trade with the Japanese if they knew Christian converts were given the death penalty. For the Europeans, Japan is simply too distant and doesn't have quite enough valuable trade goods compared to other places in East Asia to justify trading with them when they enforce such objectionable laws.

The Netherlands and England remaining Catholic is still weird lol
Honestly the circumstances that precipitated Protestant dominance in England and the Netherlands are so peculiar and unique that them staying Catholic seems to be the most normal thing that could happen from the perspective of the 16th century

Honestly the circumstances that precipitated Protestant dominance in England and the Netherlands are so peculiar and unique that them staying Catholic seems to be the most normal thing that could happen from the perspective of the 16th century
I know but still lol. Btw does that mean the Netherlands have remained Habsburg and HRE ITTL?

The Netherlands and England remaining Catholic is still weird lol
Also given how we perceive Protestantism nowadays, with its distinct Anglican and Calvinist sects and the way those sects have affected history and English and Dutch culture, it can be hard to imagine England and the Netherlands remaining Catholic, because the way we perceive Catholicism nowadays is also heavily influenced by the dominant Spanish and Italian flavoring, combined with the lack of very much Northern European cultural input post-1530.

English Catholicism and Dutch Catholicism before the Reformation were just as uniquely English and Dutch as Anglicanism or Dutch Calvinism. Their Catholic trajectory ITTL is going to produce a religious culture that is therefore not only very different from the Protestant culture they developed IOTL, but also very different from the Hispano-Italian Catholic culture most people associate with Catholicism.

Last edited:
I know but still lol. Btw does that mean the Netherlands have remained Habsburg and HRE ITTL?
They've remained under Habsburg rule so far (we're at 1580 now, more or less), but they're still having some serious issues with political autonomy and religious division

They've remained under Habsburg rule so far (we're at 1580 now, more or less), but they're still having some serious issues with political autonomy and religious division
If they remain under the Habsburgs and HRE, that means that any Dutch colonization efforts will have the manpower of Germany behind it, that's a great change indeed.

If they remain under the Habsburgs and HRE, that means that any Dutch colonization efforts will have the manpower of Germany behind it, that's a great change indeed.
I don't think that would necessarily be how it goes. The Dutch may try to keep their colonies to themselves, in order to both maintain their autonomy and keep their colonies fundamentally Dutch possessions. Calling in Germans undermines that, makes it so they're not necessarily possessions of the Netherlands but possession of the Habsburgs. I wouldn't be suprised if that's what kicks off some sort of conflict between the Dutch and Habsburgs, with the Habsburgs trying to establish more direct control over what is nominally their colonial posessions and the Dutch revolting to keep their slice of the east indian trade under their direct control

I don't think that would necessarily be how it goes. The Dutch may try to keep their colonies to themselves, in order to both maintain their autonomy and keep their colonies fundamentally Dutch possessions. Calling in Germans undermines that, makes it so they're not necessarily possessions of the Netherlands but possession of the Habsburgs. I wouldn't be suprised if that's what kicks off some sort of conflict between the Dutch and Habsburgs, with the Habsburgs trying to establish more direct control over what is nominally their colonial posessions and the Dutch revolting to keep their slice of the east indian trade under their direct control
I mean the Netherlands are ruled by the Habsburgs and more people to help populate them can't be hard. NGL, but the Dutch are fucked revolting against the HRE compared to Spain.

Iberian South Africa having OTL Brazil like demographics and culture is still fascinating me. Especially given the possibility for it to grow really fricking huge and swallow up as far north as Congo, thereby unironically including the lands of Portugal's Pink Map.

Really interested on the Spanish impact on East Asia in TTL. Even on OTL it was some wild stuff: "A last alliance of Ottoman-backed Moro warriors and Japanese waka pirates trying to fend off the thousand nations of the Spanish Empire"

But also one of the things I am most excited about is how Catholicism will evolve in TTL. As the Spanish, Dutch and English are Catholic it might lead to the Jesuit victory over the dominicans in the Chinese Rites Controversy, which by itself might lead to a Chinese and (maybe) Japanese influenced Catholicism to spread on those respective nations.
Who knows, it might even lead to a Chinese and Japanese Rites in communion with Rome, but different than the common Tridentine Roman Rite, just like how the Eastern Catholics have their own Rites, and England has its own Sarum Rite.

Just imagine some Catholic miko/shrine maidens.

If the colonies already have a good Castilian or Portuguese base, perhaps the Spanish will open these colonies to the rest of Europe. For example, I imagine that Portuguese South Africa would have a population of between 250 to 300 million while New Spain between 200 to 250 million and Rio de la Plata between 140 to 180 million in modern times.

If the colonies already have a good Castilian or Portuguese base, perhaps the Spanish will open these colonies to the rest of Europe. For example, I imagine that Portuguese South Africa would have a population of between 250 to 300 million while New Spain between 200 to 250 million and Rio de la Plata between 140 to 180 million in modern times.
If Aragon/Spain keeps southern Italy I can see them opening up to colonists from there

I love this timeline. One feature I love is how you really consider the distance problem. Spain is so far away their actors are largely independent and have little oversight, sometimes this works out for the crown but usually it creates a headache. Bravo sir, bravo.

Thank you very much :)

How much of the Americas can the Lusophones colonize?

Probably just Brazil, most Portuguese attention is in Africa and Asia. We do get a Portuguese settler colony in South Africa for what it's worth.

Sad. I hope that we have a Lusophone Australia with all of this stronger Portuguese Indonesian presence.
Imagine a Southern Hemisphere where Brazil, South Africa and Australia speak Portuguese :hushedface::hushedface:

I could see Western Australia and/or the NT being colonized by the Portuguese, but NSW, Victoria, Tasmania and New Zealand are more questionable. With that said having Spain/Portugal colonize New Zealand would certainly be interesting, considering that they're exact antipodes.

Well, for what's worth TTL, leaving on aside America, the S. Africa settlement, even if it'd be up to the OP decision, but I think that Portuguese S. A. colony would have good chances, IMO, to turn (on importance terms for the Lusophony) in a second Brazil. Given that it would expand and eventually, with the pass of the time, 'd probable to link with/absorb, the OTL Portuguese Eastern Africa. Also, TTL the Miguelinas Ilhas (Philippines), are under Portuguese jurisdiction/colonization, so I'd guess that if TTL events would develop as OTL, then they may be end as part of the Lusophony.

If well, given the mentioned Japanese and Indian population contributions/collaboration,to the conquest and settlement of the archipielago, I'd guess that if the quoted would be the norm, that the Miguelinas, Colonial ruling class might be (n terms of ethnic diversity and composition, more closer to TTL Malacca ruled Portuguese Maritime Southeast Asian territories. Also, if so, I'd expect that would be possible that the Portuguese Language variant, that might eventually develop there, could have some very interesting linguistic features.

Apart from a more Lusophone area, I would like a larger Spanish expansion in North America. Perhaps a surviving Axacan expedition could lead to the colonization of the Virginia area. It would be interesting to see how it develops and how it affects possible English settlements in North America.

The Spanish, even with Portugal attached and competent rulership, can only expand so far. Beside, I think @Torbald stated early in the TL that France was going to colonize the American Southeast. Still looking forward to seeing how his version of a French Southeast would differ from my own.

so I hope they at least keep the Southwest and Louisiana. Perhaps if things go well, the English and French will kill each other as they expand into North America.

That could help the Spanish hold the Southwest and maybe even expand into Oregon, hopefully of course.
They also said that Brazil would be smaller, that means a larger La Plata, perhaps eating up the south of Brazil.

Throwing in my two cents, Portuguese Brazil will probably go a lot less far in this timeline.

Reason why is that historically, Brazil was an absolute sideshow for Portuguese colonization early on. It's prominence only grew once Portugal was effectively shut out of the Indian Ocean and Malayan trade. Then the focus shifted to Brazil, and when Brazil was lost the last ditch effort was given to the African Colonies.

The reason why is relatively obvious. While part of Malaya and to a lesser extent India were primitive, the infastructure, wealth, and trade opportunities were infinitely superior to the economic virgin earth of Brazil. (Yes people lived there, but a few hundred thousand extremely seperated substinence farmers and hunter gatherers are only a step above nothing). Certainly Brazil had opportunity, but not in the short term.

A person could become immediately rich either by becoming the lord of thousands of already well organized and productive indians from the conquered empires in Spanish territory, or they could ply the Malacan trade and earn their fortune. Becoming rich in Brazil would entail building an agricultural estate while finding labor to work it, either the sparse native population or imported slaves. That could and did work, but it was a process of generations. Descendents in a century or two would be fantastically rich and locally important, but an individual would be working hard in relative obscurity compared to the metropole their whole life.

It's also true that a lot more fortunes were lost in the East than in Brazil, most wealthy traders did not create shipping empires that outlived them for centuries, while aristocrats in Brazil are arguably still around.

The point being, that as long as there is much greater short term opportunity in India and East Asia, and Sulafrica (south africa) exists as a classical 'settler-colonial' area that is still integrated into the trade routes to the East, Brazil will remain an absolute backwater, and the least focused and populated of Portugal's official colonies under Tordesillas.

In an interesting Historical parallel though, I belive Sulafrica will take the place of Brazil, in terms of importance to Portugal. Torbald already mentioned that it racially resemble Brazil, which I'll note has tens of millions of Portugeuse descendants. While Sulafrica's population will probably not reach the 200 million of Brazil. A 'greate Sulafrica' which is settler colonial between the Zambia and the Cape could easily hold over 100 million people, many of them European descendants. My guess would be that Sulafrica and Brazil will end up having similar populations, but quite different demographics.

One future interaction I predict is that a lot of Portuguese in Asia will 'retire' with their fortune in Sulafrica. As once they want to settle down, it will be a nearby, civilized, and thoroughly Lusitanian location, where they can actually afford large tracks of lands and noble status and estates. It will be much easier to set yourself and your descendents up as a landowner and aristocrat in Sulafrica, rather than in the metropole itself where you'd have to compete with extremely rich and powerful European nobles with centuries of seniority.

While I'm sure a few of the most succesful will be able to break into the Iberian nobililty, the vast majority will have to content themselves with tracts of land in the colonies, and the place along the Asian trade routes that will have the most land, be the most European, and most 'comfortable and civilized' for an Iberian will be Sulafrica.

Much of Brazil is likely going to be colonised by Castile (IE the parts that belong to them per Tordeisillas)

Depending on how overstretched Spain is and how much it cares, the French might also successfully colonise norther Brazil and Guiana with so much Iberian attention on the more lucrative East Indies

Interesting post. Do you think Brazil will end up whiter or blacker than Sulafrica?

Would it be possible that due to its status as a Portuguese backwater, Brazil ends up orbiting Castilla?
With Portugal with its objective in Asia, while Castile in America. I think it would be possible for Brazil to approach the Spanish colonies, especially a larger version of La Plata.
It's an interesting view of things with Brazil ending up being much more Spanish because of Portuguese neglect.

Some of you may remember in Portuguese America update (posted more than 5 years ago o_O), only 5,000 Portuguese settled in Brazil from 1500-1530 (with 7,500 heading eastward instead), and 35,000 migrated to Brazil from 1535-1600. To give you an idea of what this means for TTL's Brazil, let's look at the numbers. Following the OTL growth rate of Brazil's population - from 15,000 to 100,000 in 50 years (1550-1600) - which is about 4% (which obviously accounts for immigration), I'm estimating the Brazilian population ITTL to be about 64,000 by 1600, so considerably lower than IOTL. I have also seen other sources estimating OTL's Brazilian population numbered as low as 45,000 in 1600. Since the OTL Brazilian population tripled from 1600 to 1700 (from 100,000 to 300,000), I can't see TTL's Brazilian population being higher than around 192,000 in 1700. This puts TTL's Brazilian population between Guatemala and Cuba, and is almost negligent compared to the OTL population of New Spain in 1700, numbering 4.5 million.

The treaty of Tordesillas/Toredsilhas intended to hand the Americas to the Castilians and Africa+Asia to the Portuguese, so - given that the PoD of Miguel da Paz's survival and the consequent inevitability of an Iberian Union happened before the discovery of Brazil - the presence of Brazil on Portugal's side of the meridian is seen as more of a weird coincidence ITTL, as opposed to being treated as an opportune loophole IOTL. IMO, Iberian colonization of Brazil is basically unavoidable during the 16th century - even against foreign intervention. Due to the obvious pathway along the West African coast leading to the easy route provided by the equatorial currents, the Iberians really can't even avoid discovering Brazil, and pressing claims there comes naturally due to its brazilwood, its ideal sugar plantation biomes, and its geography offering a promontory by which to command the South Atlantic.

However, the Portuguese in this century aren't caught up on notions of romantic nationalism (yet) and preserving the Portuguese language and culture through some settler colonialism in the Americas or Oceania. What they are concerned about (or at least what the Portuguese elite and middle class are concerned about) is keeping their monopoly over the African and Asian trade, so Africa and Asia have a stronger pull on Portuguese immigration ITTL than Brazil does (precisely because of Brazil's lack of development and the ignorance of precious minerals there at the moment, as @A_simple_pilgrim noted). Spanish North Africa is also another obvious destination for Portuguese immigration, due to the (rapidly disappearing) Portuguese monopoly there and (just as importantly) the short and considerably less dangerous travel distance to get there compared to South America or elsewhere. The Castilian colonies - while also legally a Castilian monopoly - are of course part of the same dynastic union as Portugal and consequently are going to receive a lot of Portuguese immigrants, which is something that actually occurred in surprising numbers IOTL when Castile and Portugal were separate (I've read that as many as 100,000 Portuguese found their way to Spanish America during the 16th century IOTL). I'm not saying Portuguese patriotism or distrust of the Castilians aren't both potent factors during this period, but most - or at least a plurality - of the Portuguese in the 16th century simply aren't that concerned about their culture and the other distinct cultures of the Iberian Peninsula peacefully dissolving and coalescing over centuries into some greater High Spanish culture. Or they at least feel like such a development is out of their hands.

Keep in mind that TTL's Iberian Union happened under the leadership of the Portuguese Avis - giving the Spanish monarchy a distictly Portuguese direction early on - and Lisbon is shaping up to be the united Spanish kingdom's most important port. So expect TTL's Spain to be experiencing some significant Lusitanization too.

Last edited:
Thank you very much :)

Some of you may remember in Portuguese America update (posted more than 5 years ago o_O), only 5,000 Portuguese settled in Brazil from 1500-1530 (with 7,500 heading eastward instead), and 35,000 migrated to Brazil from 1535-1600. To give you an idea of what this means for TTL's Brazil, let's look at the numbers. Following the OTL growth rate of Brazil's population - from 15,000 to 100,000 in 50 years (1550-1600) - which is about 4% (which obviously accounts for immigration), I'm estimating the Brazilian population ITTL to be about 64,000 by 1600, so considerably lower than IOTL. I have also seen other sources estimating OTL's Brazilian population numbered as low as 45,000 in 1600. Since the OTL Brazilian population tripled from 1600 to 1700 (from 100,000 to 300,000), I can't see TTL's Brazilian population being higher than around 192,000 in 1700. This puts TTL's Brazilian population between Guatemala and Cuba, and is almost negligent compared to the OTL population of New Spain in 1700, numbering 4.5 million.

The treaty of Tordesillas/Toredsilhas intended to hand the Americas to the Castilians and Africa+Asia to the Portuguese, so - given that the PoD of Miguel da Paz's survival and the consequent inevitability of an Iberian Union happened before the discovery of Brazil - the presence of Brazil on Portugal's side of the meridian is seen as more of a weird coincidence ITTL, as opposed to being treated as an opportune loophole IOTL. IMO, Iberian colonization of Brazil is basically unavoidable during the 16th century - even against foreign intervention. Due to the obvious pathway along the West African coast leading to the easy route provided by the equatorial currents, the Iberians really can't even avoid discovering Brazil, and pressing claims there comes naturally due to its brazilwood, its ideal sugar plantation biomes, and its geography offering a promontory by which to command the South Atlantic.

However, the Portuguese in this century aren't caught up on notions of romantic nationalism (yet) and preserving the Portuguese language and culture through some settler colonialism in the Americas or Oceania. What they are concerned about (or at least what the Portuguese elite and middle class are concerned about) is keeping their monopoly over the African and Asian trade, so Africa and Asia have a stronger pull on Portuguese immigration ITTL than Brazil does (precisely because of Brazil's lack of development and the ignorance of precious minerals there at the moment, as @A_simple_pilgrim noted). Spanish North Africa is also another obvious destination for Portuguese immigration, due to the (rapidly disappearing) Portuguese monopoly there and (just as importantly) the short and considerably less dangerous travel distance to get there compared to South America or elsewhere. The Castilian colonies - while also legally a Castilian monopoly - are of course part of the same dynastic union as Portugal and consequently are going to receive a lot of Portuguese immigrants, which is something that actually occurred in surprising numbers IOTL when Castile and Portugal were separate (I've read that as many as 100,000 Portuguese found their way to Spanish America during the 16th century IOTL). I'm not saying Portuguese patriotism or distrust of the Castilians aren't both potent factors during this period, but most - or at least a plurality - of the Portuguese in the 16th century simply aren't that concerned about their culture and the other distinct cultures of the Iberian Peninsula peacefully dissolving and coalescing over centuries into some greater High Spanish culture. Or they at least feel like such a development is out of their hands.
In other words, it’s Portuguese South Africa that’s this timeline’s Brazil while this timeline’s Brazil is a kind of backwater colony?

The French will be very interested in Equinoctial then.

In other words, it’s Portuguese South Africa that’s this timeline’s Brazil while this timeline’s Brazil is a kind of backwater colony?

The French will be very interested in Equinoctial then.
More like TTL's Brazil is basically similar to OTL Cuba + Santo Domingo in terms of population levels and importance to the metropole, and TTL's South Africa is a weird amalgam of OTL Angola/Mozambique and the OTL Dutch Cape Colony.

When the Japanese Warring States period comes up I wonder if Spain will be involved in supporting anyone that’s willing to Christianize the land.
Ah mmm that already it's ending. That started in 1450s and ended in 1610s.

*looks at the Imjin War and the tercio-style tactics of Sengoku Japan*

Eh. I'd say they're more of a threat than you'd expect.
*looking the massification of firearms inside the Japanese armies and the rotatory volley made by Nobunaga*

bdc.jfif

EOjzXaDU0AIOska.jpg:large

EOjzXaGUwAAutxj