Two Lucky Princes: A TL

Something that got me thinking...

Since England and Iberia won't be religious (and political) enemies from this point on (except for one war down the line), it's possible that we won't have a Black Legend like we have OTL.

We might have a légende noire TTL, though... ;)

Hmm, I guess the Portuguese are pretty much in charge of Colonialism, which mean much trading expeditions, and not so many Conquistadors. Plantation colonies would probably still flourish, perhaps sooner with the Portuguese invovled in Spanish colonies in the Caribbean, they have experience from Sao Tomé and Madeira after all.

Hmm, I guess the Portuguese are pretty much in charge of Colonialism, which mean much trading expeditions, and not so many Conquistadors. Plantation colonies would probably still flourish, perhaps sooner with the Portuguese invovled in Spanish colonies in the Caribbean, they have experience from Sao Tomé and Madeira after all.

Portugal keeps the Indian trade alive, Castile conquers Columbia for Iberia and the Church, and Aragon keeps Iberia in European matters via its Mediterranean possessions.

Tensions in Wallachia​

Though Wallachia had become an Ottoman vassal state, in many ways it was still independent. Not a few of its rulers were acting independently of Istanbul, and in fact, it allied with Hungary against the Ottomans. Though Hungary was defeated at Mohacs, and Wallachia was once more forced to pay tribute to the Padishah, the seeds of freedom were planted.

The Wallachian boyars soon rallied around the noble Radu of Afumati, and with a secret alliance with Louis II of Bohemia-Hungary, Radu was in a position to increase his power. He defeated a rival for the Wallachian throne, only noted as Mehmed-bey, and proceeded to build up his army.

He had appointed a noble named Petru as a general for the Wallachian army, answering only to Radu himself. He also authorized a secret arms trade with Hungary, and passed increasing reforms for the military.

It is thus no surprise that when Hungary began their raids into Ottoman Hungary, Wallachia and Transylvania supported Louis II.

Dealing with Revolts[1]​

As the nobles decided that the increased duties I have imposed upon the Crowns are not in their interests, they have decided to take up arms against my person. I must be strong; it is only my heritage that is holding Castile, Aragon, and Portugal together. I must ensure that this heritage is further strengthened for my son Manuel; I hope that by my death he will inherit a more united kingdom.

The soldiers are more loyal to me than I expected. Perhaps the land reforms I have decreed have worked well? Perhaps the thought of wealth in the New World and India entices them to join the army? Whatever the case, I do have an advantage against the nobles. They may have the armored knights with them, but I have an increasingly disciplined force under my command.

My marshal Don Gonzalo[2] is a very loyal man. He has reported to me that at least ten thousand men would be available for me to command against the disloyal lords. Should this prove insufficient ten thousand more men are suitable as reinforcements. I still have the support of the Andalusians, ironically, the nobles are more powerful in Castilla la Vieja and Porto.

I am tired; but I am young. I still have many years ahead should God will it.

-Miguel

[1]Excerpt from the diaries of King Miguel I of Iberia.
[2]Fictional...

UPDATE!

The Livonian War[1]​

The Livonian War was a conflict that would ultimately cement Poland-Lithuania's status as the great power of Eastern Europe, as well as allow the Principality of Muscovy (later the Tsardom of Russia) to gain further control of the Baltic. Let us examine first the geopolitical environment that led to the clash of the two Eastern Powers.

By the 16th century, the Livonian Order, a branch of the Teutonic Order, was isolated particularly after the annexation of East Prussia by Poland. By the 15th century, the Order had been subsumed by its neighbors, where it had continued its power struggles with and against the bishops and the Hanseatic cities. Muscovy-Russia was a rising power, gaining the allegiance of the smaller Russian states, as well as besting the Republic of Novgorod. However, it had failed to defeat the Khanates of Astrakhan and Sibir, ensuring it would expand easily to the east. Poland-Lithuania, on the other hand, was the result of the Union of Krewo, a prenuptial agreement created by Jogaila (later Władysław II Jagiełło), Grand Duke of Lithuania, before his marriage to Jadwiga of Poland. Though the union was carried intermittently over the years, by the 16th century the Jagiełłons had effectively kept the union intact (and later on they would further consolidate their rule, though not without opposition from the szlachta).

The Livonians decided that Poland was the bigger threat, especially after its conquest of Prussia, and thus looked to Muscovy for aid. They had signed a defensive alliance with the new Grand Prince Ivan IV, where both parties agreed to come to the defense of either when attacked. Upon receiving the news, Sigismund of Poland decided to bide his time, until he could find a suitable time to attack.

Livonia by this point became rich through the Baltic trade, and Sigismund realized that he could increase Poland's wealth (as well as his personal power) through claiming its lands. Ivan IV, too, had his designs on the Confederation, though his defensive pact with the Confederation meant that he would have a higher standing with them if he stood as its protector.

Thus when Muscovite troops came into the Livonian Confederation, to protect from a possible Polish attack (despite protests from the Livonians), Sigismund found a golden opportunity. In May of 1534 he declared war on the Livonian Confederation and the Principality of Muscovy.

[1]Occurs earlier than in OTL as Ivan IV decides to look west.