Two Lucky Princes: A TL

SavoyTruffle said:
The Auld Alliance now holds stronger here than in OTL, since in OTL Scotland eventually fell within the English sphere.

Speaking of the Auld Alliance... How are the Scots doing currently?
And what about France?

What happens to the Dutch Revolution? What becomes of William of Orange in his service to the Hapsburgs? Apologies if this has been asked before >_>

Speaking of the Auld Alliance... How are the Scots doing currently?
And what about France?

They've done well, actually. Their initial success, while not exactly outweighing James IV's death, means that they get at worst a white peace with England. France... it's doing well especially on the colonial front, but expect all hell to break loose in half a century.

What happens to the Dutch Revolution? What becomes of William of Orange in his service to the Hapsburgs? Apologies if this has been asked before >_>

Butterflied away; since the Habsburgs won't go native in Spain they'll be closer to the Dutch culturally.

How about religiously? Won't the Reformation have any effects?

Of course, it will. OTL Calvinism appealed to the mostly urban, mercantile classes of the Low Countries, so I doubt French Zwingliism won't be considerably weaker there.

Though since the Habsburgs are more pragmatic (more like Charles V) and less "fanatical"(less like OTL Philip II) TTL, they could be tolerated grudgingly.

Of course, it will. OTL Calvinism appealed to the mostly urban, mercantile classes of the Low Countries, so I doubt French Zwingliism won't be considerably weaker there.

Though since the Habsburgs are more pragmatic (more like Charles V) and less "fanatical"(less like OTL Philip II) TTL, they could be tolerated grudgingly.

Charles V was more pragmatic than Philip II, but Charles V wasn't as pragmatic as his brother Ferdinand. IOTL Charles V was a convinced and devout catholic, he wanted a council long before the OTL council of Trent.
One of the reasons why the Pope hesitated to do so, is that the Pope also feared the power of OTL Charles V; protestant nobles made Charles position in the empire weaker, something the Pope didn't mind from a political point of view, but obviously the Pope did have religious concerns. With a weaker emperor, there might have been an earlier Catholic response and reforms, which could lead to a smaller religious conflict.

Furthermore he outlawed Luther, but OTOH it didn't stop him from making alliances with protestant rulers if he needed to.
ITTL Charles isn't as powerful, but IMHO he would certainly support the Counter Reformation in his domains.

Finally regarding Philip II and the Low Countries, the initial problem wasn't that Philip was fanatical, in fact he was a devout catholic and serious ruler, but he and The Low Countries didn't 'understand' eachother.

Last edited:
Charles V was more pragmatic than Philip II, but Charles V wasn't as pragmatic as his brother Ferdinand. IOTL Charles V was a convinced and devout catholic, he wanted a council long before the OTL council of Trent.
One of the reasons why the Pope hesitated to do so, is that the Pope also feared the power of OTL Charles V; protestant nobles made Charles position in the empire weaker, something the Pope didn't mind from a political point of view , but obviously the Pope did have religious concerns. With a weaker emperor, there might have been an earlier Catholic response.

Furthermore he outlawed Luther, but OTOH it didn't stop him from making alliances with protestant rulers if he needed to.
ITTL Charles isn't as powerful, but IMHO he would certainly support the Counter Reformation in his domains.

Definitely. Burgundy will be supporting the Counter Reformation. Though I still think that the Eighty Years War won't really happen TTL.

Should I also make a spinoff thread for this? And what should I cover next?

Perhaps in the same format as mine or do an independent story centered around one character? I desired on doing something like the latter based on a Mesticoti mercenary for hire who lands in Morocco or something. But that's me.

Perhaps in the same format as mine or do an independent story centered around one character? I desired on doing something like the latter based on a Mesticoti mercenary for hire who lands in Morocco or something. But that's me.

Yeah, I'm thinking of letting other members create stories and the like.

Also, I'm thinking of something the Medicis will do... ;)

Yeah, I'm thinking of letting other members create stories and the like.

Also, I'm thinking of something the Medicis will do... ;)

What happened of Lorenzo of Urbino ITTL? Originally, he was married a Madeleine de la Tour d'Auvergne, and died of syphilis. They were the parents of Catherine de Medici. He would certainly be an interesting character if he survives and has heirs. He might be able to hold unto Urbino while retaking Florence.

What happened of Lorenzo of Urbino ITTL? Originally, he was married a Madeleine de la Tour d'Auvergne, and died of syphilis. They were the parents of Catherine de Medici. He would certainly be an interesting character if he survives and has heirs. He might be able to hold unto Urbino while retaking Florence.

Since he was but a child at the POD, I'm gonna assume he lives longer at the very least.

For my 1000th post... Domestic Issues!

The Nobles' Revolt of 1533

Though on the surface Miguel I of Iberia's reign was successful (and the historical consensus does agree with this), his reign also had its share of pitfalls. Notable for this was the Nobles' Revolt of 1533. But first we must study the causes of the revolt before we discuss it.

In order to increase the wealth of his kingdom, as well as ensuring that control of Iberia would not fall into the hands of incompetent, squabbling nobles, Miguel had increased the powers of the three component crowns of Iberia (Aragon, Castile, and Portugal). Though it was to ultimately prove a weakness in the future in times of more incompetent monarchs, it was to prove beneficial for Iberia then. Though the nobles raised protests, especially at Cortes sessions, Miguel knew that he had an ace up his sleeve: the military.

Miguel's personal command of the soldiers, as well as the good pay they received (augmented by New World gold, no doubt), made him popular among the military faction. Some more military-inclined nobles were also impressed by his showing in the war with France. However, a considerable number of the nobility was increasingly discontent with the increased powers of the Iberian crowns, as well as the further restrictions placed on serfdom. It was thus a powder keg waiting for a fuse that illustrated the conditions in Iberia.

After the failure of the Moroccan campaign, Miguel returned to Iberia, further seeking reforms. The Cortes grew more obstinate as time passed, to the point where after a rather heated meeting, the King was forced to dismiss it.

Thus, a group of nobles led by Don Alcazar[1] set off their plot. They had sent in a letter of protest to the king, demanding he restore the rights they had previously enjoyed. Miguel stood firm, and thus Alcazar and his associates announced their open rebellion against the King.

It was to be Miguel's biggest test of his reign up to that point.

[1]Made up.