Two Lucky Princes: A TL

Arthur I of England died on March 11, 1533. His son Henry succeeded him as Henry VIII. Though he was initially known as "the Fair Prince", he was to be later known by a more sinister epithet: "the Great Inquisitor"...
I presume Uncle Henry has been a strong influence on our new king?

Reconciliation​

As Charles V emerged from the Saxon War victorious (though its long-term effects were to undo what he had won), he could now turn his attention to his other thorn in the side. Louis II of Bohemia and Hungary, as King of Bohemia, was nominally a vassal of the Holy Roman Emperor. Realizing that any aggressive action would make him look worse off, and his army was tired and hungry. He had the army return home, and instead dealt with Louis diplomatically.

Though Louis II was rather hostile towards Charles, he preferred the Emperor to the Saxons. He also realized that any further attempt to antagonize Charles was doomed to failure, and might weaken his position as leader of the League of the Free.

It was thus in a tense environment that Emperor Charles V and King Louis II met, in order to settle their differences. Charles wanted Louis to swear fealty to him as the King of Bohemia, though obviously not as the King of Hungary. Louis would agree on the condition that he be allowed to continue to lead the League of the Free, as well as guaranteeing religious freedom in his own lands. The Treaty of Teschen, after the place where the two met, was soon signed in early 1533.

Though this would ensure peace between Burgundy and Bohemia at the moment, the two giants of the Holy Roman Empire would have to clash in the future...

Great update. Good to see Louis II standing up to Charles. :D Show him that he doesn't have a deformed chin like him and his entire family (...and his wife).

Great update. Good to see Louis II standing up to Charles. :D Show him that he doesn't have a deformed chin like him and his entire family (...and his wife).

Of course, Louis' sons aren't gonna be as lucky with regards to the chins, but hey, you can't win them all.

And I can safely say Burgundy and Bohemia will be on opposing sides in the Second French War of Succession. Now which sides those are, I'll leave you guessing. ;)

Of course, Louis' sons aren't gonna be as lucky with regards to the chins, but hey, you can't win them all.

And I can safely say Burgundy and Bohemia will be on opposing sides in the Second French War of Succession. Now which sides those are, I'll leave you guessing. ;)

Why must you make my Jagiellions so ugly! :mad: Offset that by a marriage to a Frenchwoman. They're sexy, just look at Francois' sister. :p:D

I can't wait! Those chins must die!

Why must you make my Jagiellions so ugly! :mad: Offset that by a marriage to a Frenchwoman. They're sexy, just look at Francois' sister. :p:D

I can't wait! Those chins must die!

Oh, Louis isn't planning on marrying any of his sons to Habsburgs anytime soon. Sure, he's publicly reconciled with Charles, but he's still very much independent.

Well IIRC the Habsburgs inherited their Habsburg lip from a Mazovian Piast princess, but IOTL the marriages between the Austrian and Spanish branches caused it to take an extreme form.

I hope you didn't mind my honest opinion on the Habsburgs and the Austrian and Burgundian lands? Anyway I still like this TL and I find the current developments interesting.

Last edited:
Well IIRC the Habsburgs inherited their Habsburg lip from a Mazovian Piast princess, but IOTL the marriages between the Austrian and Spanish branches caused it to take an extreme form.

I hope you didn't mind my honest opinion on the Habsburgs and the Austrian and Burgundian lands? Anyway I still like this TL and I find the current developments interesting.

I don't mind; criticisms are always necessary for a better TL.

So, anything you want to see an update on?

I see.

The Great Inquisitor​

Henry VIII was not his father. This is a fact that we will come back to, many times over as we examine the life of one of England's most controversial kings.

Henry VIII was born in 1506, the eldest son of Arthur I of England and his consort Catherine of Aragon. Though he did not meet his maternal grandparents, the Catholic Monarchs, he was nevertheless intrigued by them, something that would shape his life in a certain direction. Another notable influence on the Prince of Wales was his uncle, Henry Duke of York, who would become a cardinal the year Henry ascended the throne.

Henry served in his father's army during the war with France and Scotland, performing well against the Scottish forces as part of the English counterattack. This cemented Henry's popularity in England, not to mention his rather fair looks. He had his mother's hair and his father's face, and was a rather tall youth. Thus, he came to be called "the Fair Prince" as Prince of Wales.

When his father died in 1533, young Henry was seen as an idealistic man, with ideas similar to his father. But as has been said before, he was not his father. Influenced by his uncle's ecclesiastical background, as well as seeing Zwingliism as a threat to England's power, he inaugurated the English Inquisition. Its objective was to ensure that England remained true to the faith, something that did not go unrewarded as Henry was granted the title of Defender of the Faith in 1540.

The methods of the Inquisition were at first subtle - it only asked a family if it went to church regularly, if they had received the Sacraments, and the like. As increasing numbers of Zwingliists fled the Empire and Denmark, however, Zwingliism began to take root in England. Henry also realized that an influx of foreigners whose religion was tantamount to heresy would not be good for public order, and thus he gave the Inquisition more free rein in dealing with Zwingliists.

It was thus a good time in England if you were faithful to the Mother Church, and an increasingly worse time if you were influenced by Zwingliist ideas...