Two G3 'battlecruisers' instead of HMS Nelson, HMS Rodney and HMS Tiger (PoD 4pm 14/12/1921).

You also mentioned that there are lots of "hints" that the G3s would've had I names -- could you please expand on what those hints are? What leads you to that conclusion?

The common theory is that the G3's would either be the St George and the St Andrew or the Invincible and Indomitable, I don't think there's ever been anything official.

The common theory is that the G3's would either be the St George and the St Andrew or the Invincible and Indomitable, I don't think there's ever been anything official.

There's no way they would've been the St.'s, I'm not sure where that rumor originated. IMO the most likely names would have been the 3 cancelled admiral class + Nelson -- OTL NelRod are a pretty good clue. But @Navigator specifically said he knew of hints that suggested I naming conventions instead, and I'd love a rundown on what those are

There's no way they would've been the St.'s, I'm not sure where that rumor originated. IMO the most likely names would have been the 3 cancelled admiral class + Nelson -- OTL NelRod are a pretty good clue. But @Navigator specifically said he knew of hints that suggested I naming conventions instead, and I'd love a rundown on what those are

I thought I read somewhere that the Saints names were attached to the proposed N3 battleships. Though, given the N3s never left paper, that may have been a flight of fancy.

I thought I read somewhere that the Saints names were attached to the proposed N3 battleships. Though, given the N3s never left paper, that may have been a flight of fancy.
That was my understanding. The four G3s would have been the new I-class, and the N3s named for the saints of the British Isles

St George (England)
St Andrew (Scotland)
St Patrick (Ireland)
St David (Wales)

Regards,

Could always go with Britannia, Caledonia, Hibernia and Cambria.

The first three are all 1st Rate Ship of the Line names from the Revolutionary/Napoleonic wars. Cambria(n) was a 24pdr Heavy Frigate.

Those sound like the names for Cunard passenger-liners.
Britannia and Hibernia have been used as Battleship Names. They were part of the King Edward VII class (The Wobbly Eight)

HMS Caledonia was the name of an ironclad and is the name of the RN base at Rosyth

HMS Cambria is the Royal Navy Reserve unit in Cardiff

I just mentioned that because historically Cunard passenger-liner names end in -ia (While White Star passenger-liner ship names ended in -ic).