Trastamara TL

Good work Condottiero:)

To Gonzaga: No mate in Argentina??:eek:

Condottiero has made an interesting TL although some of the butterflies could not like some of my friends (argentineans, no mate! horrible! horrible!:D )

Not just the argentinians... People in all Plata Basin could not consider this TL a worthy world to live. :D

Great work! I'm really enjoying to read this TL. But I woul like to do two little comments:

1) I believe the area of OTL Paraguay should be in the territory of the Vicekingdom of La Plata, instead remains in the Captaincy of Amazonia. It's a territory only acessable by the rivers of the Plata Basin. Oh, and you have NO jesuits in Paraguay, among the Guaranis?:eek: The culture of Southern Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina e Paraguay is completely changed! People will not speak "Che", or drink "mate":D !

2) Actually, in the area of the jesuitic mission in the Amazon there were no Tupis. The Tupis were living near the Brazilian Coast. In the region that you show in the map there were several different tribes. Maybe a good name could be Manaós, the tribe that originated the name of the Amazonas State capital, Manaus.
1) Oooops, I am afraid that as there were no rivers on the map I made a mistake.
I'll have to enter a butterfly to change the mate issue, that is serious...

:D
2) I'll rename it to Manaos and create a Tupi one. I took the location from a NG map and probably changed the situation a bit...

Why not? Although a united Spanish Empire will probably survive in the end, the Plata region is going to be a mayor industrial area.

Yes, I know, and I liked it... I'm just joking about the "mate" situation... It's like imagine the British without tea...:D

NEW IDEOLOGIES

1801 Envoyees of Scotland visit the Russian court in Kyrilgrad, and sign a treaty of cooperation in the Indian Ocean. Both nations plan to attack the ottomans and to divide India between them.
1802 Padraig O'Shea invents bleaching powder in Ireland.
Some problems in the colony of New Argyle with Bantu tribes, make king Bruce VI to forget his plans for India. The Tsar Svietislav I decides to make an attemp to gain a port in the Baltic and attacks Prussia by surprise.
1803 Sweden and Germany aid Prussia to resist the Russians. But the allies will only stop them with a terrible price.
The population of the United Provinces grows enormously thanks to the cultivation of Potatoes.
Domingo Gómes Rosiñol publishes his theories on the separation of powers following the works of Luis de Molina.
1805 Debate in Spain over the convenience of extending the Reduction system. The Cortes fearing that the King might use them to limit their power propose to upgrade Captaincies to Vicekingdoms and to convert the reductions in Captaincies except those in Africa and the ones that protect the northern border in the Americas.
Svietislav licks his wounds and makes a fast offensive in the Caucasus that surprises his ottoman "allies". The Sultan presents a formal complaint.
1806 Emperor Hidoshi Kamakura orders the creation of new shipyards and weapon factories in order to increase the expansion in Asia and specially in the Americas.
The Scottish are ready now. An small incident is used by king Bruce to attack ottoman India. The Ottomans ask the Russians for help but the only answer is that they will change help for lands around the Caspian sea, the Sultan, enraged, declares war on Russia and asks the Tibetans for help.
1807 Russian victories in Aqtau, Gyzylgaya and Nebitdag that puts in Russian hands most of the Caspian coasts. However the ottomans use cleverly the muslim population in India and the Scottish have to retreat south and ask Spain and Ireland for help.
Miguel III asks the Cortes about it but the proposal of help is rejected as the commercial outposts in Ottoman India could be in danger.
1808 Scotland sues for peace and it must cede some territories in India.
The ottomans concentrate against the Russians, but they are defeated soundly again in Herat and the Tibetans lose Amritsar and their king in the battle.
1809 Russian forces take Masshad where Svietislav proclaims that he will free Jerusalem and the Holy Land.
The ideas of Gómes Rosiñol are accepted by the Spanish Cortes leading to the creation of four independent powers: Legislative, that creates the laws; Executive, that use the laws to rule; Judicial, that make sure the laws are obeyed; and Royal, that moderates and looks for the independence of the other powers.
1810 Russian victory in Torkaman, the Ottomans raise an army in Ucrania and invade Russian territory in Europe.
Crisis in the Scottish government. King Bruce has to abdicate and his son Edward is crowned. He will start a non-beligerant policy.
Both armies face each other in several inconclusive battles in Delhi and Baranesi. The turks seem to have gained the support of the local islamic noblemen, but the russians have the help of the hindu population.
1811-1812 (OTL New Madrid) Earthquakes in the westernmost limits of irish territories in North America. The territory is sparsely populated and loses are minimal. Although some indian tribes see it as a sign of the anger of their gods for the presence of the red haired men.
1812 The Russian army is almost destroyed in Tehran. The ottomans advance again and recover Masshad.
1815 Mount Tambora eruption in Indonesia.
Discovery of the vaccines by Juan Márquez Castro in Salamanca.
1816 Lower temperatures due to the ashes of Mount Tambora eruption and heavier rains cause a terrible famine in the United Provinces and some other european regions. Thousands of dutchmen migrate to the Free Republic of Mali while the HRE colonies of New Flanders receive population from the East of Europe and the Balkans.
Miguel III of Spain dies and his son Enrique V is crowned. His wife is a Chinese princess and his sister Blanca is married to the Chinese Imperial heir.
Tsar Svietislav I and the Ottoman Sultan Beyecid die in June (only with a week of difference), their heirs Alexander II and Otman sign a peace treaty that consolidates the possitions: the turks cede around the Caspian sea but they gain control of most of India.
1819 News of the discovery of gold in the Austral Lands reach Europe.Thousands of immigrants from Tuscany, Savoy and England mass in European ports.
Alexander II declares war to Sweden trying to get access to the Baltics. The german allies of the swedes do not arrive on time and the Swedish army is destroyed in Riga. The King Charles VII dies in battle, leaving a heir of five years old. The Russian troops occupy most of the Baltic possessions of Sweden and prepare to invade Finland.
The first political parties appear in the Spanish Cortes when the most liberal representatives gather in the Progress Alliance. Soon there will be a Conservative Faction, a Traditionalist and a Liberal one.
1821 Border clashes between Japanese and Chinese troops, that soon escalates to a full war. The Japanese have more innovative tactics and better equipment, but the discipline and superior numbers of the chinese allow them to push back the Japanese and restore the Middle Empire borders. However the strain of the war creates some unrest in some areas of China and movements like the White Lotus and the Red Hats reappear.
Sweden sues for peace having to cede most of Finland to the Russians, it is a most humilliating peace that forces the abdication of the Swedish king. Sven I is crowned new king.
Russia provides with weapons to the Ethiopian Empire.
1822 Galunggung (Indonesia) Earthquake causing thousands of deaths in both ottoman and Spanish possesions in the area.
Several Chinese ports are bombed, occupied and sacked by the Japanese navy. The Chinese Emperor requires Spanish help, and King Enrique V soon declares war on Japan.
Peter MacDermott publishes his works on Capital, exploitation and the war of classes.
1823 The Spanish fleet destroys the Japanese in the battle of Nagasaki. The shipyards are destroyed and the spanish fleet then heads to the Chinese coast where it helps the chinese army to recover lost ports. However this causes new unrest in China that is not revealed by the Ministers to the Emperor.
1824 Treaty of Seoul by which the Japanese pay an indemnization to the Chinese Empire, reduce their fleet and cede some territories in the NE of Asia.
1825 The first railway lines are built in Mexico. Soon they will spread all over the Americas.
The coal mining becomes one of the leading economic activities.
Japan decides to expand in the Americas and reaches an agreement with China to divide their areas in Asia.*
Ethiopian Emperor Salomon dies heirless, in his last will he appoints as his heir to Alexander II.
1826 Alexander II signs a Non-aggresion treaty with Scotland and Spain, declares war on the Ottomans and sends an army to Ethiopia and the East coast of Africa in order to take possesion of Salomon's legacy.
The theories of MacDemott are condemned by the Pope and declared as an Evil for Humankind by the University of Salamanca.
1829 The first European railway lines in Spain and North of Africa.
The industrialisation of the peninsular territories of the Spanish crown accelerates.
Alexander II defeats the ottomans in Somalia and makes Ethiopy to recover its prestige.
Conservatives control the Spanish Cortes leading to a protectionist policy that hinders foreign trade.
1832 Celullar Theory is published by Magnus Gudruson in Copenhagen.
Classmaterialistic ideas reach Mali. The Free Republic starts an intense cooperation with Japan and the Orroman Empire.
1835 Clijtens van Abdalah, a trader that after living for twelve years in Japan is impressed by some of MacDermott's ideas, publishes "Spartan Republic" where he combines the classmaterialistic ideas with Bushido and an idealistic view of ancient Sparta.
1836 The first railway lines in Ireland, the HRE, the German Empire and Savoy.
Historical Materialism theories by Jan van der Veelt, that continues MacDermott's ideas, are published in Amsterdam. They achieve a great success in Aquitanie were they mix with nationalism.
In an internal memo the main spanish universities and the Cortes express king Enrique V their concern about the consequences of Macdermottism or Classmaterialism.
1840 The first railway lines in Scotland, China, Japan and Sweden.
Construction of the first Analytical Machine (an OTL Babbage computer) by Carlos Díaz Mejías of the Lisbon University.
Don Luis González de Valdelobos from the Moral and Ethical School of Salamanca publishes his works calling for a humanization of labour in the mines.
The Classmaterialistic spreads in Eastern Europe where in six months seizes power in Bohemia, Silesia, Prusia and causes revolts in Eastern Germany (Poland), Hungary, Denmark, Sweden and Russia.
Germany, Russia, the HRE, Hungary, Denmark and Sweden form the Traditional alliance against the classmaterialists.
Liberals have the opportunity of forming government in Spain in cooperation with the Progress Alliance.
1841 Classmaterialists revolutions seize power in the United Provinces, Aquitanie and fail, although causing civil conflicts in England, the HRE, nort of Germany, Savoy and Genoa. The Papal possessions in Avignon are taken by the Classmaterialists. The Papal palace is sacked and burned to the ground. Thousands of paintings, sculptures and documentation are lost. After that the "Santa Sindone" kept in the Savoyan capital Turin is sent to Rome.
Ottoman agents cooperate with the rebels while pressing the Russians.
1842 New revolutions in Ucraine and Walachia that expel the ottomans that are forced to join the Traditional Alliance.
Classmaterialism starts to mix with nationalistic and antisemitic ideas. Intense progroms in classmaterialist areas cause the migration of jews to the more peaceful Southern Europe and to Palestine in the Ottoman Empire.
The Spanish crown creates special policial forces to detect and neutralize classmaterialistic cells while preparing an army in the north. By the end of the year Spain invades Aquitanie and Savoy in order to help the king of Savoy against the revolutionaries.
1845 The first Ocean going steamships built in Oport shipyards. The requirements of steel in China allows the rediscovery of a method of removing impurities by blowing air through molten iron (OTL Bessemer process).
Some classmaterialistic cells appear in Tuscany but they are imprisoned and the movement fails.
The Japanese continue their expansion in America reaching the Indian Reductions. In order ot allow a better defense the reductions are grouped in a single protectorade, the Indian Confederation, with the king of Spain as head of State. Similar agreements are made with australian aborigins and in Kongo.
The Swedish king is hanged by the Classmaterialistic revolutionaries that seize power in Sweden.
1847 Aquitanie and Savoy are liberated by Spanish forces, the revolutionaries are put in concentration camps, although some of them manage to flee to Orleans, Irish Brittany, England and the HRE.
Irish colonists feel threatened by the Indian Confederation and create militias.
Treaty between Siam and Japan for cooperation and trade.
The Pope renounces to the territories in Avignon in exchange for the "Santa Sindone" and the Bahamas.
Classmaterialism consolidates in Silesia, Bohemia, Hungria, Podolia, Lithuania, Prussia, Sweden, Walachia, the United Provinces, Montenegro and Ucraine.
One Sudanese Chieftain proclaims himself as Mahdi and starts an expansion movement with the idea of liberating the world for Islam.
1849 Chinese innovations to produce steel are copied by Japan and Spain.
After some minor battles between the Indian Confederation, Enrique V complaints to his cousin the Irish King, Padraig II of Trastamara, that sends an army to New Cork. But the colonists rebel and ask for more lands.
1850 Classmaterialism is abandoned in Mali and Spartanism becomes the dominant ideology. Thousands of classmaterialists that arrive to the Free Republic are converted to the Spartanian theories, although part of them keep their ideas in secret.
Japan, Scotland and Mali start building their first Ocean going steamships.
Mahdist clashes with russian troops in Ethiopia.
Divission of the world in three blocks as for their preferred hot-drink: China, Russia, Japan, Scotland and Ireland consume massive ammounts of tea, the Ottoman Empire Scandinavia, and Central Europe are coffee consumers; while southern Europe, England and Spanish Empire prefer yerba-mate.

Trastamara TL 1850.png

The world by 1850

For the second half new ideologies appear in the world.

Liberal Democracy based on the ideas of the School of Salamanca seems to take roots in the Hispanic Monarchy. It will probably be exported to other Trastamara territories like Ireland, England, Orleans or China.

The Classmatherialism will probably be erradicated from Aquitanie and Savoy but it seems to have taken grip of Northern and Eastern Europe.

Another totalitarian ideology is appearing: the Spartakianism will be the ruling ideology of the Free Republic of Mali and probably of Japan and Russia.

Finally as the decomposition of the Ottoman Empire seems inevitable, integrist movements like mahdism could have a chance...

Any ideas? Comments?

Mundo1850 l.png

Looking at your map it seems you've little idea how things looked in OTL eastern Europe - your borders look completly implausible; not mentioning you seem to lack a lot of geographical knowledge of that region. I'll show you why:
black - Carpatian Mountains
green - river Prypeć swamps (you cannot move armies there - it was called "The Pińsk Sea" for a reason)
red - OTL Polish language borders of XVII-XIX C.

Personally, I think you need to move Germany border more east (up to the red line)

Trastamara TL 1750_show.PNG

Now, about map of 1850:
First - I think you didn't quite explain where new countries in eastern Europe came from
Second - colors as in 1750 map, plus:
1. Blue - OTL borders of Podolia - what you showed as Podolia is, in fact, Mazovia
2. Pink - borders of OTL Lithuania between 1569 and 1772/1793. What you showed as Lithuania is completly implausible - you need ASB for those borders...

... same for Silesian borders.

Trastamara TL 1850_show.PNG

Looking at your map it seems you've little idea how things looked in OTL eastern Europe - your borders look completly implausible; not mentioning you seem to lack a lot of geographical knowledge of that region. I'll show you why:
black - Carpatian Mountains
green - river Prypeć swamps (you cannot move armies there - it was called "The Pińsk Sea" for a reason)
red - OTL Polish language borders of XVII-XIX C.

Personally, I think you need to move Germany border more east (up to the red line)

Thank you for your comments. I was thinking in some division of Poland between the Germans and the Russians, probably what you mention about the Prypec marshes is a good reason to have a more easterner border...

Now, about map of 1850:
First - I think you didn't quite explain where new countries in eastern Europe came from
Second - colors as in 1750 map, plus:
1. Blue - OTL borders of Podolia - what you showed as Podolia is, in fact, Mazovia
2. Pink - borders of OTL Lithuania between 1569 and 1772/1793. What you showed as Lithuania is completly implausible - you need ASB for those borders...

... same for Silesian borders.

OK. I'll expand that part as well.

I thought I had taken the wrong map and it was the wrong name. They are quite unfamiliar to me... I'll change Podolia.

As for Silesia, it does not have OTL borders. And both Silesia and Lithuania are really buffer states, probably I could change Lithuania's name...

Concerning ASBish border changes how would you define: move 200 km to the west one nation after one war. And you have Poland after ww II!!

Last edited:
Hello Condottiero. Only write you that it has liked me a lot this uchronia and that expect that you update it very prompt.