To Grasp the Heavens

But, what about tsunamis? If I were near the coast in California, I'd still be evacuating. Same thing if I were in Peru or Chile, which your map shows as being safe, or anywhere else in the Pacific (or for that matter Indian) Oceans.

I'm waiting with baited breath for more.

There are certainly plenty of evacuations of low-lying areas. Not sure about South America, other than maybe a few very exposed areas, although I know they (now) have tsunami warning zones in areas of Chile. However, it's at least a thousand miles from any impacts, and those would be very oblique.
The literature (such as it is) on impact-generated tsunamis seems to suggest that is far enough away to keep it to <40' waves for any impact that isn't going to cause bigger problem anyway - i.e. not much worse than a severe storm.

That being said, I'd be finding a hill.

The literature (such as it is) on impact-generated tsunamis seems to suggest that is far enough away to keep it to <40' waves for any impact that isn't going to cause bigger problem anyway - i.e. not much worse than a severe storm.
Wouldn't that depend hugely on the size of the meteorites, though?

I must have forgotten to 'watch' this, or accidentally double-clicked it.

This has been very interesting indeed. A plausible and hard-science asteroid interception problem was both an excellent read and a learning opportunity.

I note that this comet has not been given a name?
Thank you, I'm trying to keep it on the right side of ridiculous.

The Comet.
It has a numerical designation, but I don't think I've mentioned it yet.
Unimaginative, but non-scary, and it's not as if anyone is going to mistake it for another one.:)

While the crew of HMS Victorious would indubitably be lionized in the UK, would Australians be more critical due to the initial attack mission not bringing a 100% success and the resultant tons of debris falling onto Australasia.

Personally, I would think that Indonesia is in the most trouble. Large population centres in islands, most of which have large littorals, many poor areas and inferior infrastructure and emergency funds compared to New Zealand, Australia or even Malaysia.
I think you have a point. The scale of Victorious' success is orders of magnitude beyond what the rest of the world has achieved, but even 99+% wasn't enough, although that wasn't the crew's fault. Glorious tradition of heroic partial failure ... or the men who allowed everyone else to save the world? We'll see...

Vietnam, some of the Philippines and much of coastal China also fit that description. Not encouraging, although I can see the Chinese being slightly better organised than in many places.

Very much so, but they have intercepted and destroyed everything over about 40-50m diameter. Hopefully.
Ah yes. We hope. ;)
Unimaginative, but non-scary, and it's not as if anyone is going to mistake it for another one.:)
I suppose it'll get a name afterwards, once they see whether it'd better be called "Doomsday" or just "The Destroyer". Or, I guess, the Malay / Chinese / Tagalog equivalents.

Ah yes. We hope. ;)

I suppose it'll get a name afterwards, once they see whether it'd better be called "Doomsday" or just "The Destroyer". Or, I guess, the Malay / Chinese / Tagalog equivalents.
I think people will simply call it “THE COMET” or they language equivalent mostly because it makes it unique in psychological sense, and also because if no other name was given to it before that what people would have been using as a name in conversation and the media. Ie Here are the latest news about the comet” or “ Y aquí las últimas noticias del Cometa”

Surely it has enough nicknames in common use already, with the question being which one to pick?

Given how the concept has proven itself most dramatically in two separate ways, might we be seeing a follow-up to the 'V-ship' design in the not too distant future? Perhaps even expanded into a roughly cross-shaped design that can put itself into a spin to generate centrifugal gravity to make greatly extended missions more comfortable? The next class would logically be a W-ship, and I believe the most prestigious name is currently available.

Surely it has enough nicknames in common use already, with the question being which one to pick?

Given how the concept has proven itself most dramatically in two separate ways, might we be seeing a follow-up to the 'V-ship' design in the not too distant future? Perhaps even expanded into a roughly cross-shaped design that can put itself into a spin to generate centrifugal gravity to make greatly extended missions more comfortable? The next class would logically be a W-ship, and I believe the most prestigious name is currently available.

X-shaped ships would be more difficult to shield against radiation from the drive. The simplest way of providing artificial gravity would be to spin a linear ship end over end - the drive and fuel tanks acting as a balance mass for the Hab.
Regarding follow-ons, as you say, the use of and need for capable spacecraft has been well demonstrated, so I'm sure the survivors will get around to it eventually.

Fireworks Night
There are many strange spectator events; cheese rolling, wife carrying ... golf.
Nuclear orbital bombardment must rank as the most unusual, and by far the most spectacular.

Nine days ago, the ghostly glowing ball of dust had become the largest object visible in the sky. Day by day, it continued to grow, and after the detonation of the Deep Space Interceptors, it became even brighter, and impossible to ignore. It is visible across more than half the world, day or night, shining brighter than the Moon. By the time the impacts are due, depending on where you are, it fills the entire sky and turns night into a peculiarly cold, silver daylight.

Shortly after the last of the Pebbles exploded, 406 Minuteman missiles roared out of their silos across the USA and tilted over to head west. A few minutes later, 98 Trident D5 missiles were blasted out of their launch tubes from on board five US Navy submarines, three of which were sitting on the surface near the Hawaiian Islands, the other two off Alaska. Two of the Tridents had failed to fire, and another lost control shortly after staging, while the rest headed for their targets at carefully selected locations in the middle of nowhere. Spectacular though the results would be, the submarines did not wait around to watch. Once they had fired off their missiles, their Captains were under orders to dive, as a thousand feet of water would protect them from all but the largest of impacts.

Operation Dropkick is the last line of defence, and it is a rather crude one. Although these weapons are powerful ICBMs, their performance is still low in comparison to an orbital rocket. When they were designed, they needed to throw their payloads to the near-orbital speeds that are required to coast a quarter of the way around the world. Today, they are being asked to do something very different, to launch their warheads towards precisely defined positions in space, usually at as high an altitude as can be achieved.

The position of the Earth and the time of day at which the impacts would occur mean that only half of the world is directly threatened, centred over the Pacific Ocean. At this late stage, there is no chance of intercepting everything that is going to hit, so some months ago, the world's nuclear-armed nations all quietly decided to use their arsenals to protect themselves, or their allies, or in the case of Russia, those who were able to pay for protection.
The most dangerous objects would be in the “walls” of the shell of material that had previously been hit by the Pebbles. These walls are not solid, and their edges are not precisely defined, but radar plots and statistical analysis suggest that any remaining “B class” fragments (loosely, pieces over 20m in diameter) are most likely to be found in a region that is a few thousand miles thick. As the orbits of the comet debris and the Earth intersect, there would be two distinct periods of maximum danger, separated by about 14 minutes, and each lasting about 2-3 minutes.

Unlike the carefully controlled DSI and Pebble interceptions, the ICBMs’ warheads could not be actively guided towards a specific target, and there is nothing more than radar and time fusing to detonate them. In the days and months leading up to March 1st, Dropkick and its Anglo-Australian, Russian, French and Chinese sister operations were touted as mankind’s "fourth line of defence". In truth, they were always going to have a very limited objective. Even though some of the rockets carried lighter loads than were normal, the limited performance of the missiles means that none of the weapons would reach higher than 6,000 miles above the Earth.

The publicly stated objective of Dropkick is to try to ensure that there is a clear path (or rather, a path that is free of large objects) through the walls of the shell. Ideally, this would be at least 8,000 miles wide, the same as the Earth, and would allow the entire planet to pass through a “hole” in the debris field. In practice, there are nowhere near enough warheads to achieve this, and the fallout consequences would be unthinkable even if there had.
These last-ditch interceptions would occur no more than two minutes before the fragments would hit the planet, and it is widely understood that the objective is not to stop them hitting, but to break up any larger objects into small pieces that will burn up before they hit the ground. What is not widely understood is that the areas that are being “protected” are very small.

The Pebble interceptions occurred out in space at a similar distance to the orbit of the Moon, about an hour-and-a-half before impact. After those detonations, there would be no time to track anything else, and it would not be possible to realign hundreds of ICBM guidance programs within those last few minutes. No realistic effort could be made to ensure that warheads would be targeted at zones of maximum debris density, all that could be done is to set up a barrage to try to protect key sites.

In the case of Dropkick, the zones that the warheads would attempt to clear were lines extending up along the vector of the comet's approach from the exposed cities on America's western seaboard, San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego. Although two others would be just about above the horizon at the start of the critical 15 minutes, Portland would have to take its chances, and where would Las Vegas be without taking a gamble? The risk of impact for these two was very low, and it was thought more important to try to protect the isolated regional hubs of Anchorage and Honolulu.
Contrary to widespread belief, no attempt was being made to protect any other part of the US.

On the other side of the world, it is believed that vast amounts of money had changed hands. The Russian and Chinese equivalent of Dropkick certainly had a humanitarian intent, but it is believed to have benefitted a huge number of people along the way. Both the American government and the Western financial sector are understood to have conspired with officials from both nations to ensure that it was in a lot of influential people’s interests to launch a Russian strike to defend foreign territory.
Strategically, the Americans had one eye on the future; the USA would be firing off the majority of her ICBM force, and it would therefore be in American interests to see Russia expend a significant faction of its nuclear arsenal too.
The Russian and Chinese missiles were leaving their pads, silos, and a Russian submarine, to attempt to provide protection to Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong. Thanks to an undisclosed “loan guarantee package” to Russia from the Japanese government, Tokyo, Osaka and Kobe would also be shielded by three groups of blasts, courtesy of 116 SS-18 missiles.

The weakest, but perhaps the most noble attempt at a defensive barrage is put up by the Marine Nationale, and French sailors deploy 143 warheads from on board the submarines Foudroyant and Tonnant, stationed near Singapore and Melbourne. France herself is not threatened directly, and it was decided that there was no practical defence possible for France’s tiny overseas territories in the Pacific. To be critical of the operation, the relatively small number of low-yield warheads were spread too thinly to offer a comprehensive defence, but for two of the region’s largest cities, it was better than nothing, while the French nation could feel that “every effort is being made”.

In terms of the number of warheads, Operation Wicketkeeper is the smallest of the five last-ditch defence plans. However, individually the warheads were much more powerful than any of the others, and they had one other slight advantage. Four Kraken missiles are launched from on board the partially-complete V-Ship HMS Vindictive, as her orbit carried her over the far side of the planet.
Even though they are not multi-stage ICBMs, the advantage of being launched from orbit meant that the Krakens could reach higher altitudes than the ground-based missiles. With the few extra seconds of interception time that the extra altitude allowed, the 40 warheads could be deployed and detonated in a different sequence. Instead of trying to create a line of near-simultaneous explosions, the program is timed to explode a pair of 1.2Mt bombs every five seconds. The Krakens’ MIRV buses had been programmed to spread the warheads to create a ripple of nuclear detonations, with each successive pair at a slightly lower altitude than the last. Any comet fragments on the relevant approach vector would have to fly through the residual debris and heat pulses from all previous explosions, before being "hit" by a new pair of bombs that are timed for each successive part of the stream. It is hoped that this approach will form a localised version of the “Kessler Syndrome”, a zone of dense debris left over from previously shattered objects, helping to break up any subsequent inbound fragments before they hit the atmosphere. The higher-altitude interception will allow more time for any fragments to break up, further helping to compensate for the small number of bombs that are being used.
With only 40 warheads available, this tactic would only cover the "near" side of the shell of comet debris, and so at 19:30UTC, the final launch of this last line of defence took place from Rainbow Beach. The first stage core of a Delta Star rocket (which had started its life as a Black Anvil missile in the 1970s) had been fitted with the last available Kraken missile instead of its upper stage. Originally intended for a V-Ship, the missile was instead launched directly at the "far" side of the shell, its ten warheads acting as Sydney's final line of defence. At best, it would only provide a partial protection, and as with all the bombardment weapons, the warheads would have to traverse part of the debris field before they reached the zone where they were programmed to detonate. In this case, the lift-off was delayed for as long as they could to allow some of the smaller debris to pass. These pieces would burn up in the atmosphere, but at 72km/s in the vacuum of space, they could be lethal to a satellite or warhead.
It was a probably a forlorn hope, but it was worth a try. Estimates of the density of material close to Earth at this point varied between one particle per 4-10 million cubic metres. That doesn’t sound like much, but at that rate, the MIRV bus could expect to be hit by something once for every 500-1,000km of movement through the field, or approximately once every ten seconds. The busses were built to be tough, and the micro-meteoroid armour on this particular weapon had been improved, but nothing is known of the missile or its warheads from about two minutes after launch. No-one ever confirmed any detonations had taken place. The launch crews had stayed at their posts until the last minute, but once the rocket was away, it was time to take cover. For these “far” side interceptions, it was the same story all over the world.

The sentiment that “every effort must be made” was perhaps the real motive for this last set of operations. No-one could measure whether any of these pinpoint defence strategies made any difference, as they all were too busy taking shelter. There is even uncertainty as to how many bombs went off, how many rockets failed, and how many warheads were destroyed or damaged by debris before they could explode. No doubt someone, someday, will find the remains of a few unexploded Hydrogen bombs at the bottom of the Pacific.

To those who dared to watch, the initial sequence of Dropkick blasts would be one of the most awe-inspiring sights anyone has ever witnessed. The low angle of approach of the debris towards the US mainland means that these explosions are at lower altitude than any of the others, and any observers who remained on the west coast saw a series of thousand-mile-long dotted lines of brilliant thermonuclear fire suddenly appear suspended in the skies over the Pacific.

Meanwhile, nature’s unstoppable fireworks display had begun.

The first shooting stars were seen over Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea at 18:48.

...Spectacular though the results would be, the submarines did not wait around to watch. Once they had fired off their missiles, their Captains were under orders to dive, as a thousand feet of water would protect them from all but the largest of impacts....

Is that actually right? I would think that anything that is substantially massive after going through the atmosphere would behave (energetically though not radiologically) like a surface thermonuclear burst of appropriate megatonnage, set off on the surface of the ocean. So, the major threat to a submarine would be shock waves in the water. These would initially be hemispherical until the radius reached the depth of wherever the impact was, at which point the shock would evolve into a cylinder--from that point on, the peak pressure of the wave front would fall not with the inverse square of the distance from the center but inverse linear.

So, a submerged sub is going to experience something that on a very fast time scale would look and feel like a sudden jump in pressure on one side, moving around the hull to eventually match that high pressure on the other side--while it lasts this differential pressure causes a surge acceleration sideways. After that the sub is uniformly being compressed by the higher pressure which falls off exponentially and eventually becomes a cavitating suck--this is the longer time scale experience, and the speed of sound in water is much faster than in air, so basically people would observe an instant vise-like crush.

But a sub on the surface is going to experience the wave as a sudden upward slam. Actually trying to visualize how this works is a bit confusing. If we just declared, as some kind of mathematical action at a distance thing, that the water pressure surges from a bit over 1 atmosphere to some number like 10 or 20 atm, there ought to be an upward surge due to the fact that the air is not pressurized beyond normal ambient. But local pressure must be the outcome of pressures surrounding a given test volume, some combination of their static pressures and the acceleration of masses flowing into the test volume and out of it. For a test volume deep under the surface, there is no place for material to flow faster than the speed-of-sound shock wave moves, so it is a simple matter of a wave of higher pressure. Near the surface though material that would be behind the shock wave front would already be surging upward, and its dynamic motion ought to lower the new pressure (Venturi effect) while the water is physically shooting upward in a spectacular hump wave. Hmm, I suppose the upward velocity of the surface water takes time to build up so the location of the surface at the wave front is still sea level datum, and its relative velocity is still zero, so the pressure appears in full as a step function increase in static pressure?

In any event, here the pressure takes the form of a one-sided vector force on the hull that lifts the submarine up above sea level--I imagine that as the water surrounding picks up speed the net pressure upward plummets rapidly and the wave of water shooting up peaks at a fairly modest height, then the water falls down again--to account for the extra volume of water contained in this hump wave, I suppose there is a net outward flow that transfers some fraction of the water into a traveling outward component of the wave, leaving the basin within the shock wave a tiny bit depressed on average below sea level datum.

So basically instead of being crushed (or not, if the hull is strong enough) at depth, the sub is rapidly batted upward and then falls down again--behind the shock front the sea surface is agitated into an oscillating wave so the shaking continues, but with diminishing amplitude.

So now the question is, for a given impact at a given distance, is the sub better off diving down to avoid being shaken, versus having a net surge peak pressure greater than its crush strength, at which point its hull would be cracked and it would crumple? The deeper the sub goes, the less shaken it will be by the surface up-down surge effect, but the higher the pre-surge pressure will be--the surge pressure adds to the pressure due to depth, so the critical overpressure magnitude that will kill the sub is less and less at deeper depth.

Since it is impossible to track the remaining fragments hitting Earth and one can only hope that all objects above a certain size have already been diverted or broken down, the location at which remaining large fragments hit the surface--mostly ocean--is essentially random. Another way to put it-the nearest fragment impact site to a sub is random. All the fragments are impacting at nearly the same speed, so the variable is the mass--that is, the concentrated mass at sea impact, accounting for erosion by the atmosphere. Erosion by the atmosphere by the way does not magically eliminate the destructive potentials of the eroded mass completely--instead it makes for an accumulated kaboom in the atmosphere--but I am assuming a submarine, even one parked on the surface, can endure the overpressure in air--anyway such shocks will be traveling at the speed of sound in air not water; after experiencing the water shock the sub has warning if it survived that to dive a little deeper below the air shock. Which will propagate along the surface but be largely reflected by the water, only a fraction will raise the water pressure and that will have been incorporated already in the previous water shock wave.

Anyway it should be possible to predict the spectrum of impacts, counting a certain probability per unit area that a given range by size of impacts will happen there. There should be a maximum size determined by prior success in deflecting or breaking down largest observed potential impactors, and a minimum size of zero with a finite probability due to "zero" surface impactors having been a given finite size before striking the atmosphere, and between these I suppose the probability curve rises from zero very sharply to a peak for the smallest impactors, and falls down exponentially to a "shoulder" at the maximum size the grid of human defense activity sets, whence it fall straight down to zero again. In other words we have a section of a curve following some inverse power function snipped out by the two gates of atmospheric erosion on the small side and human selective concentration of fire on the big side. In the worst case the probability of impactor mass is falling linearly so that we expect the average size to be halfway between the biggest and smallest, and if the curve spans a broader range it will be skewed toward zero, which is good.

Then, it is a question of finding a balance between the peak shock pressure at depth versus the severity of damage one expects at the surface from being shaken in rapid up-down motion. My intuition suggests to me a submarine is a pretty strong structure and if the crew are strapped in, they can take a rather severe shaking--the limit would be human endurance of acceleration rather than the sub being broken by the shaking, and even if a sub near the surface is snapped by something that human bodies strapped in could survive, if the sub is near the surface the crew members might survive by swimming to the surface, if they have air supply (scuba gear) and life rafts. This latter thing is pretty marginal and dubious but maybe the math indicates a range of contingency where it is worth supplying the crew with these things--but if the math shows that anything that breaks the sub by being shaken will kill the crew anyway there is no point. Whereas the deeper the sub goes, the higher the ambient normal pressure is before the shock wave, which cuts into the size of a pressure surge the crew can take.

It seems obvious to me that one definitely does not want to be actually on the surface, but on the other hand the shaking due to the free surface being surged up and down is going to fall off rapidly with depth, whereas the shallower the dive, the more margin the hull has to endure crushing surges of pressure. Every hundred feet they go down adds another atmosphere of pressure; going down 1000 feet burdens the hull with 10 atmospheres overpressure. How deep the balance point is between minimizing shaking versus minimizing the probability of being crushed depends on the crush pressure of the hull design. Modern boomer subs are designed to dive pretty deep to minimize the chances of being detected and tracked, to be sure.

So the subs should definitely dive, but 1000 feet seems pretty deep to me, whereas the danger of being destroyed by surface surging is something I think they can ride out pretty well, so intuitively they would be better advised to dive to a much shallower depth.

Speaking of depth and shallowness, the kill radius of a given impactor is lower the deeper the average ocean depth within that radius is.

So, as much as possible you want the boomer subs to be located in the deepest parts of the ocean compatible with positioning them for firing to protect those corridors. They should shift away from seamounts or plateaux and favor deeper abyss.

A predictable number of them will be unlucky and too near an impact to survive, but the rest ought to ride it out pretty well. After all the debris is being spread out over pretty much the entire Pacific Ocean.

The same math that predicts the most likely range of impactors to pose the worst threat to the subs also allows prediction of the worst likely shore surges of water to threaten the coasts, allowing for planning of optimum location of shelters for shore populations who cannot be evacuated to distant zones. Coasts are going to be devastated, but people on high ground, in shelter against the most probable air blasts, will be able to survive and come down to rebuild. The probability of an impactor coming right down on their shelter or near enough to blast them to death is not zero, but these tragedies should be rare; the major target is open ocean water, not land, outside of places like Australia anyway. And Antarctica--this might conceivably shake some serious tonnage of coastal ice into the water, but the majority of coastal glaciation that is likely to be broken loose is already floating anyway, so that won't change sea level--indeed by cutting loose much of the current fringe of shelf ice, the net sea level might decline for some years after the event since it will take time for the land glaciers to surge back out to sea. Since a certain amount of sea shelf ice is always breaking loose while more ice formerly over land flows out to float on water and displace it, yet the sea level is maintained pretty close to constant, presumably the same volume of water is being sequestered by snowing down in solid form on Antartica and removed from the budget of liquid water in the hydrosphere. That will presumably go on while there might be a hiatus in Antarctic ice flowing out over the sea shore for a while, so levels might drop a bit.

Of course God knows if there is going to be a major impact on global climate, and there certainly ought to be some weird weather for a time; each sea impact will vaporize a lot of water into the atmosphere. I think the top size impactor left over after all the diversion attempts has been reduced far below the spectacular impactors featured in Lucifer's Hammer which created "craters" in the sea, including genuine no-scare-quotes white hot seabed craters as well as vaporizing thousands of cubic kilometers of seawater outright, dumping yet more geysers of water vapor as the sea water cascades down onto the hot seabed crater surfaces to be flash-evaporated, each one producing a whirlwind monster storm and dumping vast quantities of rain over any landmasses nearby. At a guess most impactors will not punch through the sea though of course the shock wave will pound craters into the sea bed--but not white-hot ones; the volume of sea water instantly vaporized will be orders of magnitude less than "Hot Fudge Tuesdae." Still, it will be seriously rainy all around the Pacific Rim for some time to come, after the surge waves have come and gone scouring the coasts. I do think most of the rain will fall back directly into the Pacific and Indian oceans, but there will be trouble, make no mistake.

Overall though I think with the ample warning people got the death rate will be remarkably low and mostly a matter of a few unlucky shelters and submarines being too close to impactors to survive; also there will be fringe cases of both taking serious damage that leaves some dead, some alive and a lot of injury. But the vast majority should pull through and face a difficult but survivable time of reconstruction.

The political fallout will depend on how willing the undamaged nations and regions are to help the damaged recover, versus taking advantage to secure permanent gains at their expense. It is possible to combine both, and human gratitude is a notoriously unstable thing to rely on too!

There were descriptions of the USA defending its own lands, Japan purchasing defense from the former soviets and an Australian-Anglo-French combined defense of Australia's more inhabited areas. I am fairly confident that the latter also covered New Zealand to an extent, but from the looks of things, New Guinea, Indonesia, the Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand and a lot of small islands are left essentially with no further protection.

Is that actually right? I would think that anything that is substantially massive after going through the atmosphere would behave (energetically though not radiologically) like a surface thermonuclear burst of appropriate megatonnage, set off on the surface of the ocean. So, the major threat to a submarine would be shock waves in the water. These would initially be hemispherical until the radius reached the depth of wherever the impact was, at which point the shock would evolve into a cylinder--from that point on, the peak pressure of the wave front would fall not with the inverse square of the distance from the center but inverse linear.
-I’ve left myself a lot of wiggle room with the phrase “largest impacts”. For some strange reason, there isn’t much research available on the effects of meteorite-impact shockwaves on submarines. There’s a research thesis for someone!
However, there are other resources, for instance:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2009RG000308/full#
which present the results of models, including pressure propagation through the water, although they are focussing on higher pressures.
So, a submerged sub is going to experience something that on a very fast time scale would look and feel like a sudden jump in pressure on one side, moving around the hull to eventually match that high pressure on the other side--while it lasts this differential pressure causes a surge acceleration sideways. After that the sub is uniformly being compressed by the higher pressure which falls off exponentially and eventually becomes a cavitating suck--this is the longer time scale experience, and the speed of sound in water is much faster than in air, so basically people would observe an instant vise-like crush.

But a sub on the surface is going to experience the wave as a sudden upward slam. Actually trying to visualize how this works is a bit confusing. If we just declared, as some kind of mathematical action at a distance thing, that the water pressure surges from a bit over 1 atmosphere to some number like 10 or 20 atm, there ought to be an upward surge due to the fact that the air is not pressurized beyond normal ambient. But local pressure must be the outcome of pressures surrounding a given test volume, some combination of their static pressures and the acceleration of masses flowing into the test volume and out of it. For a test volume deep under the surface, there is no place for material to flow faster than the speed-of-sound shock wave moves, so it is a simple matter of a wave of higher pressure. Near the surface though material that would be behind the shock wave front would already be surging upward, and its dynamic motion ought to lower the new pressure (Venturi effect) while the water is physically shooting upward in a spectacular hump wave. Hmm, I suppose the upward velocity of the surface water takes time to build up so the location of the surface at the wave front is still sea level datum, and its relative velocity is still zero, so the pressure appears in full as a step function increase in static pressure?

In any event, here the pressure takes the form of a one-sided vector force on the hull that lifts the submarine up above sea level--I imagine that as the water surrounding picks up speed the net pressure upward plummets rapidly and the wave of water shooting up peaks at a fairly modest height, then the water falls down again--to account for the extra volume of water contained in this hump wave, I suppose there is a net outward flow that transfers some fraction of the water into a traveling outward component of the wave, leaving the basin within the shock wave a tiny bit depressed on average below sea level datum.
-What the paper above points out is that if the sub is anywhere close to the impact site, it will be flattened – shock pressures are likely to be in the thousands of atmospheres. However, shock pressure decay away from the impact site is very rapid, so something that is 100 impactor-diameters away will receive only a bar or two from a likely impact at 30km/s (everything is slowed by the atmosphere – albeit to varying degrees).
Even if there are follow on effects such as reflected shocks from the ocean floor, the water shockwave from a 30m impactor is probably fairly harmless to a submerged sub if it is more than a mile or two from the impact.

On the surface, the impact creates a wall of water, punched out from the water crater that is formed, and that appears to be at least a few impactor-diameters high. In addition if the sub is just a mile away it will be hit by winds of several hundred miles and hour. It might survive a ~300’ wave and 400mph winds, but I suspect capsize or being flung partly into the air is a more likely outcome.

More distant impacts are still going to produce large waves, potentially breaking, and I can’t see a surfaced sub coping well with those. I assume someone has studied that in far greater detail, but subs generally have fairly poor stability, so my concern would again be capsize.

rog1703-fig-0008.png

Note that is for a 1km-wide impactor (credit - from the above paper).
However the effects scale relatively well. In the deep sea, the smaller impacts (30-80m) I am talking about would not punch a hole down to the ocean floor.

So basically instead of being crushed (or not, if the hull is strong enough) at depth, the sub is rapidly batted upward and then falls down again--behind the shock front the sea surface is agitated into an oscillating wave so the shaking continues, but with diminishing amplitude.

So now the question is, for a given impact at a given distance, is the sub better off diving down to avoid being shaken, versus having a net surge peak pressure greater than its crush strength, at which point its hull would be cracked and it would crumple? The deeper the sub goes, the less shaken it will be by the surface up-down surge effect, but the higher the pre-surge pressure will be--the surge pressure adds to the pressure due to depth, so the critical overpressure magnitude that will kill the sub is less and less at deeper depth.

Since it is impossible to track the remaining fragments hitting Earth and one can only hope that all objects above a certain size have already been diverted or broken down, the location at which remaining large fragments hit the surface--mostly ocean--is essentially random. Another way to put it-the nearest fragment impact site to a sub is random. All the fragments are impacting at nearly the same speed, so the variable is the mass--that is, the concentrated mass at sea impact, accounting for erosion by the atmosphere. Erosion by the atmosphere by the way does not magically eliminate the destructive potentials of the eroded mass completely--instead it makes for an accumulated kaboom in the atmosphere--but I am assuming a submarine, even one parked on the surface, can endure the overpressure in air--anyway such shocks will be traveling at the speed of sound in air not water; after experiencing the water shock the sub has warning if it survived that to dive a little deeper below the air shock. Which will propagate along the surface but be largely reflected by the water, only a fraction will raise the water pressure and that will have been incorporated already in the previous water shock wave.

Anyway it should be possible to predict the spectrum of impacts, counting a certain probability per unit area that a given range by size of impacts will happen there. There should be a maximum size determined by prior success in deflecting or breaking down largest observed potential impactors, and a minimum size of zero with a finite probability due to "zero" surface impactors having been a given finite size before striking the atmosphere, and between these I suppose the probability curve rises from zero very sharply to a peak for the smallest impactors, and falls down exponentially to a "shoulder" at the maximum size the grid of human defense activity sets, whence it fall straight down to zero again. In other words we have a section of a curve following some inverse power function snipped out by the two gates of atmospheric erosion on the small side and human selective concentration of fire on the big side. In the worst case the probability of impactor mass is falling linearly so that we expect the average size to be halfway between the biggest and smallest, and if the curve spans a broader range it will be skewed toward zero, which is good.
-Exactly what they are went for - ignore the small stuff, try to disperse or deflect the big bits.
I model the curve skewed a long way towards zero – obviously there will be billions of times more sand-size fragments than house-size ones, but here it is to the extent that most of the residual mass is made up of the smaller pieces, once the five huge fragments (that are going to miss) are accounted for. That is not to say that these semi-dangerous 10-30m pieces are uncommon, but it would be a very unlucky sub that is hit.
Then, it is a question of finding a balance between the peak shock pressure at depth versus the severity of damage one expects at the surface from being shaken in rapid up-down motion. My intuition suggests to me a submarine is a pretty strong structure and if the crew are strapped in, they can take a rather severe shaking--the limit would be human endurance of acceleration rather than the sub being broken by the shaking, and even if a sub near the surface is snapped by something that human bodies strapped in could survive, if the sub is near the surface the crew members might survive by swimming to the surface, if they have air supply (scuba gear) and life rafts. This latter thing is pretty marginal and dubious but maybe the math indicates a range of contingency where it is worth supplying the crew with these things--but if the math shows that anything that breaks the sub by being shaken will kill the crew anyway there is no point. Whereas the deeper the sub goes, the higher the ambient normal pressure is before the shock wave, which cuts into the size of a pressure surge the crew can take.

It seems obvious to me that one definitely does not want to be actually on the surface, but on the other hand the shaking due to the free surface being surged up and down is going to fall off rapidly with depth, whereas the shallower the dive, the more margin the hull has to endure crushing surges of pressure. Every hundred feet they go down adds another atmosphere of pressure; going down 1000 feet burdens the hull with 10 atmospheres overpressure. How deep the balance point is between minimizing shaking versus minimizing the probability of being crushed depends on the crush pressure of the hull design. Modern boomer subs are designed to dive pretty deep to minimize the chances of being detected and tracked, to be sure.

So the subs should definitely dive, but 1000 feet seems pretty deep to me, whereas the danger of being destroyed by surface surging is something I think they can ride out pretty well, so intuitively they would be better advised to dive to a much shallower depth.
-In the zone where it is likely to matter, seemingly the pressure shock decays more quickly than depth pressure increases (as the third power of impactor diameter/depth), so roughly speaking deeper=safer (btw. water pressure goes up by 1atm for every 33’). I picked 1000’ as it's a nice round number, and I’d hope they can go a good deal deeper than that, allowing for the necessary margin as you suggest.

Speaking of depth and shallowness, the kill radius of a given impactor is lower the deeper the average ocean depth within that radius is.

So, as much as possible you want the boomer subs to be located in the deepest parts of the ocean compatible with positioning them for firing to protect those corridors. They should shift away from seamounts or plateaux and favor deeper abyss.
-Definitely, they wouldn’t be right up against the coast. For Alaska and Honolulu, that can be made to work to their advantage, as the objects to be intercepted will be coming in at an angle (i.e. not vertically), so the subs can be located in deep water uprange, and have a better shot at their targets.
A predictable number of them will be unlucky and too near an impact to survive, but the rest ought to ride it out pretty well. After all the debris is being spread out over pretty much the entire Pacific Ocean.

The same math that predicts the most likely range of impactors to pose the worst threat to the subs also allows prediction of the worst likely shore surges of water to threaten the coasts, allowing for planning of optimum location of shelters for shore populations who cannot be evacuated to distant zones. Coasts are going to be devastated, but people on high ground, in shelter against the most probable air blasts, will be able to survive and come down to rebuild. The probability of an impactor coming right down on their shelter or near enough to blast them to death is not zero, but these tragedies should be rare; the major target is open ocean water, not land, outside of places like Australia anyway. And Antarctica--this might conceivably shake some serious tonnage of coastal ice into the water, but the majority of coastal glaciation that is likely to be broken loose is already floating anyway, so that won't change sea level--indeed by cutting loose much of the current fringe of shelf ice, the net sea level might decline for some years after the event since it will take time for the land glaciers to surge back out to sea. Since a certain amount of sea shelf ice is always breaking loose while more ice formerly over land flows out to float on water and displace it, yet the sea level is maintained pretty close to constant, presumably the same volume of water is being sequestered by snowing down in solid form on Antartica and removed from the budget of liquid water in the hydrosphere. That will presumably go on while there might be a hiatus in Antarctic ice flowing out over the sea shore for a while, so levels might drop a bit.

Of course God knows if there is going to be a major impact on global climate, and there certainly ought to be some weird weather for a time; each sea impact will vaporize a lot of water into the atmosphere. I think the top size impactor left over after all the diversion attempts has been reduced far below the spectacular impactors featured in Lucifer's Hammer which created "craters" in the sea, including genuine no-scare-quotes white hot seabed craters as well as vaporizing thousands of cubic kilometers of seawater outright, dumping yet more geysers of water vapor as the sea water cascades down onto the hot seabed crater surfaces to be flash-evaporated, each one producing a whirlwind monster storm and dumping vast quantities of rain over any landmasses nearby. At a guess most impactors will not punch through the sea though of course the shock wave will pound craters into the sea bed--but not white-hot ones; the volume of sea water instantly vaporized will be orders of magnitude less than "Hot Fudge Tuesdae." Still, it will be seriously rainy all around the Pacific Rim for some time to come, after the surge waves have come and gone scouring the coasts. I do think most of the rain will fall back directly into the Pacific and Indian oceans, but there will be trouble, make no mistake.
-I suspect Antarctica would become an interesting place to search for fragments of comet, and might pose a risk from icefall/landslide generate tsunamis.

There’s some interesting stuff in that paper of sub-sea craters. Apparently they’re quite difficult to create, as they tend to be eroded instantly by the water sloshing back, and the sea is pretty good at absorbing the shock in the first place. If you go into it in slightly greater depth (no pun intended), you will see I am making some assumptions about the shock pressure decay when I was talking about the subs – the paper focusses on shocks that will shatter or change the structure of rocks – i.e. Megabars – not the hundred bar or so needed to crush a sub.

Lots of stuff – seawater, comet debris, dust, ash, soot – is going to be injected into the atmosphere one way or another, so there will certainly be effects on the climate.
Overall though I think with the ample warning people got the death rate will be remarkably low and mostly a matter of a few unlucky shelters and submarines being too close to impactors to survive; also there will be fringe cases of both taking serious damage that leaves some dead, some alive and a lot of injury. But the vast majority should pull through and face a difficult but survivable time of reconstruction.

The political fallout will depend on how willing the undamaged nations and regions are to help the damaged recover, versus taking advantage to secure permanent gains at their expense. It is possible to combine both, and human gratitude is a notoriously unstable thing to rely on too!

...and will they be able to?

The Snowball is Mightier than The Bomb

Statistical analysis suggests that there are about two million lumps of ice and rock, somewhere between the size of cars and trucks, scattered throughout the debris field of the comet. About 60,000 of these would be on a collision course with Earth, and every single one of them would have a kinetic energy greater than the early atomic weapons.
However, the world is not facing 60,000 Nagasakis. These smaller objects would be crushed as they entered the atmosphere, and the kinetic heating would then result in an explosion. Some would produce little more than a flash, while the studier ones might survive to detonate at a low enough altitude to produce a noticeable bang. What is left would be dust, and a selection of bullet and shell-sized fragments that will decelerate from orbital speeds long before they reach the surface. These fragments are the reason that people need to take shelter; major impacts could still be lethal, but there is no need to risk being killed by a cosmic golf ball.

At the larger scale, opinions are divided over what to do during the period when the impacts were due. To more than half of the Earth's population, it isn't directly a problem. Anyone living in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, most of Russia and South America, or the Central and Eastern parts of North America could not be hit by anything, as the bulk of the Earth would shield them. Those living near the horizon of the impact zone might see a great number of shooting stars before and after the peak, as the world turned on its axis, but the small objects in the comet’s coma would be of no direct threat.

In many places, of course, there isn't much control; people would do whatever they wished, as weak or poor governments could neither help them nor stop them. In better organised or richer nations, there are two dominant lines of thought. The first is to try to provide everyone with as much information as possible, and to try to keep going for as long as they can. The other is to shut down just about everything and to ride out the storm.
Many nations that were in the firing line preferred to keep going; radio and TV would stay on the air as long as possible, either trying to entertain or by providing practical advice right up to the last minute. There could be no serious attempt to provide live news; even if transmissions were possible (and scientists said they wouldn’t be), events would happen very quickly and there is the risk that ad-hoc reports will only create confusion. Even in the best case, communications and power will be disrupted for hours or days after the impacts, and so most of those hardy, or foolhardy, souls who try to record the event, do so only for the sake of history.

Areas surrounding the cities that are being “shielded” by the various nuclear bombardment operations are the exception. Here, interference and electromagnetic effects would make broadcasts impossible, and there is the risk of damage to other infrastructure. It is considered safer to shut down, and about an hour before the blasts, communications systems were closed down and power was lost as electrical grids were broken up. In the months leading up to the impact, there had been a strong (although probably shock-induced) desire to try to maintain normality for as long as possible. However, high-risk facilities such as nuclear power plants and oil refineries had been shut down some days or weeks earlier, while large scale efforts had been made to distribute stocks of fuel and food from central depots to local areas, where they would be immediately useful and less easily destroyed by a single event.

Away from the impact zone, the opposite view prevailed. Across most of Europe, the Americas and the Near East, broadcasters switched off, or transmitted only music after about 1800UTC. Most ended their programmes with a prayer or a reading, although there were occasional attempts to lighten the mood with fatalistic humour, most famously the BBC's final TV news bulletin, which concluded by reading out the most recent transmission from the crew of the Victorious, still drifting through the black depths of space.

"Wish you were here. Good Luck."

These four men are the only human beings who will not be physically affected in any way by the events of the next hours. The missile launch crew on board Vindictive had abandoned ship as soon as they fired their missiles, to make a hurried re-entry on board a NASA Ares capsule that was equipped to splash down in the relative safety of the Atlantic. The crews of the Russian and American space stations had returned to Earth several weeks ago, and to reduce the amount of long-lived orbital debris that would be present after the event, the 400-ton Freedom and the 100-ton Mir had been de-orbited over the Pacific. Both stations were nearing the end of their useful lives, and even the most optimistic of thinkers agreed that manned orbital space research is unlikely to be a priority for some time.

At 18:43, contact is lost with the first of many geostationary satellites, presumably due to the impact of dust from the leading areas of the cloud. Over the next seventeen minutes, the losses spread around the ring of spacecraft in high Earth orbit, as the field of debris whips past the planet at 72km/s. By the time of the first known ground impact at 19:36, the presence, or more often the absence, of housekeeping signals confirms that there are only a handful of comsats still functioning. Very few were still in active service, as a plan is underway to try to preserve as many as possible. Most have been placed into low-power storage modes, and where practical, solar arrays and spacecraft bodies have been orientated to present the smallest possible cross-section towards the oncoming debris. The second part of the plan is less optimism and more realism; all the satellites have been moved out of geostationary orbit by boosting them to a slightly higher altitude. This should ensure that, if they are hit and then break up, the valuable stationary orbits will not be ruined by debris.

Recordings or video of any of the significant events of the next half-hour are rare, as the fireballs generated by impacts or atmospheric explosions had something else in common with a nuclear blast - they ionised air and created electromagnetic interference that would knock out electronic equipment, as well as the lines and power grids that ran it. The best records we have are usually in the form of film, some shot remotely, or by those who were brave enough to remain unprotected.

Although by no means the largest impact that was witnessed, one of the best recorded is undoubtedly that of the object which hit the coast of California at 19:52:46. The very shallow angle of the impact (the US West Coast was very nearly "over the horizon") undoubtedly limited the scale of the destruction, but film of the event shows the fragment bursting at high altitude over the Pacific as it streaked down through the atmosphere. What was left hit the town of Oceanside at not less than 50km/s, a figure that can readily be calculated from the frame rate of the horrifyingly beautiful silent film taken from a hill many miles to the Southeast.
The oblique impact kicked up a jet of white-hot debris which can be seen arcing across the sky in the film, and chunks of rock were blasted out with such force that they were found hundreds of miles inland, in a trail that stretched into Arizona. Standing just over 40 miles away, the cameraman survived the event, but later said that he had to dive for cover in the face of the intense heat radiating from the impact fireball and the arc of glowing debris. The film ends when the camera is knocked over by the shockwave a few minutes later; from his position hiding behind a nearby rock, the lucky man remembers two distinct shocks, one from the impact and the other from the airburst. Several smaller bangs preceding and following it, presumably from explosions or reflected shocks generated as the meteorite broke up in the atmosphere. With an estimated impact energy of between 22 and 25 Megatons, he was far enough away to escape without injury. Thousands more were not so lucky.

In common with the rest of the hemisphere, the towns scattered along coast of south Australia experienced a rain of “micro-impacts” in the minutes before eight o’clock. Anyone unwise enough to be out looking north would have seen the flash and the rising cloud of dust and plasma that was blasted out by a colossal impact, retrospectively identified from optical and radar records as fragment B-1823. Either this, or an unknown object that must have hit the northern Pacific a few minutes later, is the largest impact recorded that night. The Witjira Crater (named for the nearby national park, which was later extended to include it) makes the Grand Canyon seem small. In fact, the Grand Canyon is much bigger, but the smooth curve of the crater walls leading up to the slightly ragged edge of the 400' high rim makes Witjira seem even more impressive. The certain knowledge that this vast bowl was created in a fraction of a second, rather than over millions of years no doubt also influences visitors.
In the years since, it has been demonstrated that 1997/Z9 (as it was retrospectively catalogued, even though it is universally known as "The Comet") was a complex object, an odd hybrid of comet and asteroid that was clearly several different bodies that had come together over the aeons. Some parts seem to have been relatively solid rocky or carbonaceous material, but the whole object was only weakly gravitationally bound (which is the reason why Victorious' Krakens blew it to pieces). B-1823 was clearly one of the stronger, denser pieces, as traces of heavier elements were found deposited at Witjira, undoubtedly brought there by a body that was more like an asteroid than a fluffy snowball comet. At two miles wide and nearly 2000’ deep (as seen from the rim), the explosion that created Witjira must have been in the equivalent of at least 300 Megatons. The airburst that was generated as the object entered the atmosphere and began to break up was probably about that powerful too, and the double explosions were heard across the Australian continent. Mercifully, thanks to its remote location, there were only thirty-two deaths as a direct result of the impact.

Whether the last-ditch operations such as Dropkick and Wicketkeeper made any difference remains one of the great questions of history. None of the thirteen cities that were under the nuclear umbrella were destroyed by comet fragments. However, the density of these types of large surface impact was too low and too poorly recorded to form any meaningful conclusion, while radar data on the final stages of the comet’s approach is both limited and confused.

No-one will ever know exactly what happened to a handful of isolated communities; seven separate coral atolls in the Pacific were found wiped bare, presumably by displacement waves kicked up by nearby impacts.
Meanwhile, billions of frightened people started to come out of their shelters, to see what was left of their world.

Last edited:
I did a Nukemap with the estimate of 25 megatons, and over 222,000 people die and 278,000 more are injured with a surface blast; this is with the current number of people residing there today...

I'll just say this: if it had impacted about 40-50 miles to the northwest of Oceanside, millions would have died, since it would have hit LA. It's still California's worst natural disaster, though...

Wonder what else happened...

Wow.

A short update, but you said this's a space-focused TL - and even so, it's powerful.

I've got relatives in Vista, just outside Oceanside; it looks like they might have survived... but wow; a chilling demonstration that even places just on the edge of the blast hemisphere could very well be devastated.