TLIAW: Failed Miserably

Japhy

Banned
silver badgers

i no what u mean but this sounds adorable

Yup.

Good TL! So I'm guessing France and Germany eat up most of Britain and Italy's African colonies, but I think that South Africa would go independent or be puppeted by Germany. Maybe Ethiopia has decided to take advantage of Italy's fall (if it's happned yet) ;).

Ethiopia was British. The POD here is back in in 1870, things went differently. I just regret I don't have the ability to make a map to show how the scramble for colonies went differently.

And yes, with Britain playing the role of post WWI Germany, it's going to lose its colonies.

Ethiopia was British. The POD here is back in in 1870, things went differently. I just regret I don't have the ability to make a map to show how the scramble for colonies went differently.

And yes, with Britain playing the role of post WWI Germany, it's going to lose its colonies.

Huh :confused: How did that happen?

Anyway with enough chaos and the utter defeat of Britian, I imagine that Ethiopia would revolt, and if the Germans were smart they'd let them have Eritrea as well. Or if they liked Ethiopians, they would give them Southern Somolia (since I think France would take the north.) and maybe Southern Sudan too. Either way, a good opertunity for Ethiopia to spread its wings.

Well, shit.

You knew I'd turn up eventually, thank you for being so patient and apologies for my own tardiness. As expected, this is a nuggety treat.

'Chancellor Kapp' was the latest of many things to make me go 'heeeeeheeeee' while reading. There's just so much hear. Capper's tankers, the Bottomley scene and his Huns In High Places (probably the highlight so far), and of course the plausible (with a far-back POD) GreatWarPunk invasion of the south coast. I really, really like this, mate. Please keep it going.

The shape of BritNazism will be great fun, it could be Bottomley but it also could not. For a Yank, you have a good grasp of what makes Britain British. I don't think it'll turn up here, but one of my favourite 'mumby pls' moments in an old document was reading that Sassoon once wrote to Wilfred Owen that Bernard Shaw (IIRC) had written to him and encouraged him to become 'the Lenin of the Packlestone Hunt', at which point my trousers appeared to remove themselves and I awoke several hours later in policy custody. Like I say, I don't think that'll happen here (the Sassoon bit, not my trousers) but you're conjuring with similar magic.

I greatly look forward to more, particularly if you plan to take this all the way up to *1945. I've always found 'Britain split like Germany' analogues a bit silly, because geography means it's just very unlikely that would happen. Britain split like Korea, however, sort of makes sense, but still doesn't really.

Still, when the hacking, wheezing Bill Wedgwood gives his last Parkinson's-addled wireless broadcast as the shells of the Republique Populaire fall on Croydon (I spotted her in the narrative, don't think I didn't) I will be in the front row with popcorn.

Fantastic stuff here Japhy, I'd say 'pulpy' due to the nature of the invasion literature of OTL being realised if everything wasn't so literal. Boer concentration camps trump 'Wooden Decks' from the Jimmy Stewart vignette, the former actually took place. Looking forward to more, my only real quibble is that 'President Wilson' as a player is going to be confusing to some readers after Horace Wilson assumes direct control of The Third Empire.

Roaring in my skin, these keks, they are too real.

Japhy

Banned
Huh :confused: How did that happen?

The same way it happened across Africa.

There was a lot of British Interest in the 1870s about Ethiopia,as there was for most places European countries ever invaded. The whole map of Africa would by the time of this war look drastically different.

Anyway with enough chaos and the utter defeat of Britian, I imagine that Ethiopia would revolt, and if the Germans were smart they'd let them have Eritrea as well. Or if they liked Ethiopians, they would give them Southern Somolia (since I think France would take the north.) and maybe Southern Sudan too. Either way, a good opertunity for Ethiopia to spread its wings.

Not even Wilson's 14 Points gave a damn about Decolonization in Africa. Unfortunately, the only question that's going to be considered by the Entente powers are resources, prestige and white settlement. The people being subjected to the colonialism wouldn't have a place at the table, short of something revolutionary happening.

Ooh, two updates in a row! Interesting to see Germany and France's plans for the world -- and what will become of a Britain laid low.

I have to wonder if Celtic mysticism might not play a role -- play up Arthur and the Welsh to contrast with the wretched Saxon and Franco-Norman invaders.

Canada will obviously drift into Yankee orbit -- Australia and New Zealand are wild cards.

Hope the Boers get their due vengeance against the khakies...

Not even Wilson's 14 Points gave a damn about Decolonization in Africa. Unfortunately, the only question that's going to be considered by the Entente powers are resources, prestige and white settlement. The people being subjected to the colonialism wouldn't have a place at the table, short of something revolutionary happening.

I did say if they were smart :p. But would the Germans go to the trouble of putting down an Ethiopian revolt or something? Becuase I think that's how it would go down. Can you give us a general idea of what the Africa looks like?

Gods dammit! I get my subscription list down to a manageable level and decide not to add any more until at least one of the current ones has finished and you go and write this!

I hope you'll take the following in the way it is meant too:

With the way you had written this, I thought you were British.
The feel, the grasp of, as Meadow puts it, what makes Britain British while stretching and perverting this is excellent.
I'm thoroughly looking forward to following this arc. Thank you.

Japhy

Banned
All these comments and I utterly failed to follow up last night with another update, sorry folks, the Fiancee needed help with some stuff and the next two scenes were not typed. Hopefully this weekend.

Well, shit.

You knew I'd turn up eventually, thank you for being so patient and apologies for my own tardiness. As expected, this is a nuggety treat.

'Chancellor Kapp' was the latest of many things to make me go 'heeeeeheeeee' while reading. There's just so much hear. Capper's tankers, the Bottomley scene and his Huns In High Places (probably the highlight so far), and of course the plausible (with a far-back POD) GreatWarPunk invasion of the south coast. I really, really like this, mate. Please keep it going.

I figured after I'd pestered you enough trying to figure out details for the plan here that you'd at least tell me that I am a disgrace to British political TLs and that these nandos were uncheeky. Your support is thus a pleasant surprise, and very welcome. It'll certainly keep going, if only because my interest in Interwar Germany is keeping my mind going though literally dozens of PODs I've played with for over a decade, and its just so damned fun to do a translation of it to another country. To not shit on anyone else who have done amazingly fun "Britain as Equatorial Kundu" TLs, I've always felt that those projects, by sticking too closely to their second country that they miss the real point, which should be to see how things can work without destroying the nature of the first country. Hell I'm already planning to do this with China when this one is eventually done.

The shape of BritNazism will be great fun, it could be Bottomley but it also could not. For a Yank, you have a good grasp of what makes Britain British. I don't think it'll turn up here, but one of my favourite 'mumby pls' moments in an old document was reading that Sassoon once wrote to Wilfred Owen that Bernard Shaw (IIRC) had written to him and encouraged him to become 'the Lenin of the Packlestone Hunt', at which point my trousers appeared to remove themselves and I awoke several hours later in policy custody. Like I say, I don't think that'll happen here (the Sassoon bit, not my trousers) but you're conjuring with similar magic.

Holy shit I'd lose my pants too over that. Thats utterly insane. In exchange all I can offer are some historical ironies from Weimar, but damn. BritNazism is I hope going to be an interesting thing to create. But its worth noting that the Nazis went though several forms, just under Little Mister Hysterical Blindness, so be prepared for me to take that to weird places. It wont be Bottomley though, Bottomley though will have a longer role to play, akin to a certain German Newspaperman of the far right who got involved in political things, and thus will at least be on the stage with Britnazism at times.

I greatly look forward to more, particularly if you plan to take this all the way up to *1945. I've always found 'Britain split like Germany' analogues a bit silly, because geography means it's just very unlikely that would happen. Britain split like Korea, however, sort of makes sense, but still doesn't really.

Still, when the hacking, wheezing Bill Wedgwood gives his last Parkinson's-addled wireless broadcast as the shells of the Republique Populaire fall on Croydon (I spotted her in the narrative, don't think I didn't) I will be in the front row with popcorn.

Roaring in my skin, these keks, they are too real.

I'll admit I had originally only intended to take this to the "January 1933" moment which probably wouldn't have been then. That said I also thought this was going to be a "Here's 1918, two, three, 1921, 1924, 1927, and that's my weekend!" type deal (Note to self: Never pretend I can do that again). If the interest continues, I don't think there's any reason not to go up to the bloody end. Or at least to do some Epilogue stuff there.

I'll repeat my bastardization of Twain in regards to Bill Wedgewood going down in flames: "Allohistory doesn't repeat itself, it rhymes!"

And on Croydon having a bad time, between the potential of my kid sister spending a semester there in a year, and the fact it shows up in Every. Damn. British. TL., which I've always assumed was your doing, I figured "Hey, why not?" Traditions must be maintained. And everything can't happen in Whitehall, Whitechapel, and Limehouse (I need to learn more places in London).

Ooh, two updates in a row! Interesting to see Germany and France's plans for the world -- and what will become of a Britain laid low.

I have to wonder if Celtic mysticism might not play a role -- play up Arthur and the Welsh to contrast with the wretched Saxon and Franco-Norman invaders.

Canada will obviously drift into Yankee orbit -- Australia and New Zealand are wild cards.

Hope the Boers get their due vengeance against the khakies...

I mean its worth pointing out that the reactionary right in Germany was not really a United force until after Hitler actually assumed power, I'd argue not until the Night of the Long Knives really. All sorts of ideals can appear and pop up in the various movements in the short and long term, I'd assume a bit of Celtic or Anglo-Saxon nostalgia, which there is a bit of a history of in the UK (See: Civil War/Commonwealth era writings about how the UK was far more egalitarian, law-based and democratic before 1066 no matter what was actually the case) so I'd watch the space.

The British Dominions are in for an interesting time certainly, especially considering the more open view of their legal statuses at this point in time. Canada and Newfoundland are probably bound to be tied in a certain direction though, South Africa another, and New Zealand, Australia and West Australia in others, either together or separately. The big question is going to be their own politics, the UKs (obviously) and the diplomatic stances and internal politics of other players in the world.

Based on the fact that some argued at the time that the Dominions weren't really countries, and with Jan Smuts in the UK government at the moment and Billy Hughes IOTL wartime service in London, I will do an update or two for a Commonwealth round up when the time for it comes, being as this thing is very clearly past any TLIAD timeframe now.

I did say if they were smart :p. But would the Germans go to the trouble of putting down an Ethiopian revolt or something? Becuase I think that's how it would go down. Can you give us a general idea of what the Africa looks like?

Any trouble is (Most likely) going to be on par with the post-war troubles that shook colonial empires in the 1930s. Between Syria or the Rif and South African Riots. Unfortunately they're not the ones who will have much of a chance in actually creating a real change.

I mean in General, as noted Angola reaches out to Katanga, the British are in Ethiopia, Egypt leans more towards actually being a country than actually being a colony, the Ottomans still were in Libya, British Kenya is actually a rather small colony smushed between British territory in IOTL Somalia and a larger German East Africa. Uganda is French. Namibia is part of South Africa, and the British South Africa Company/Cecil Rhodes did less well than IOTL, in part due to some Lender Starr Jameson related shenanigans diverting attention. The Belgian Congo IOTL here was colonized on both sides of the river by the French, as it struck be as a suitably Second Empire sort of thing to dash into an "Anti-Slavery/Humanitarian" colony and thus start the scramble, the death toll was probably comparable to Leopold. In turn the Germans did a bit better in Cameroon and Togo, both of which are generally bigger. Beyond that, and yes, admittedly thats quite a lot, things are generally akin to IOTL, with a few tweaks on borders to different mountain ranges and rivers

The main difference being that the UK has a lot more colonial territory to be potentially divided.

[Obvious Statement Intensifies]

Yes, yes they do. As for "potentially" get ready for Britain Não é Em País Pequeno

I'm an Anglophile I swear!

I wonder how long it would take before Germany and France begin trading shots :D

After the war they just fought, actual shots are going to be far down the road if they even happen. Its worth noting that the British and French didn't always see eye to eye after the war IOTL either, though admittedly their problems were, far, far less than this.

Gods dammit! I get my subscription list down to a manageable level and decide not to add any more until at least one of the current ones has finished and you go and write this!

I hope you'll take the following in the way it is meant too:

With the way you had written this, I thought you were British.
The feel, the grasp of, as Meadow puts it, what makes Britain British while stretching and perverting this is excellent.
I'm thoroughly looking forward to following this arc. Thank you.

I can certainly sympathize with the issues of an overloaded subscription list, though I do appreciate being added to it.

As with Meadow it means a lot to be credited for trying to keep this all British, so thank you. It means a lot to a poor Yankee who's never been further East than the Maine coast.

And all of that aside, for everyone: It really does mean a lot that a timeline to get this kind of support and feedback. If there's anything wrong with anything, please mock and rip it apart, but I'm just glad everyone is reading. I'm going to bed now, but there's quite a few more pages in my notebook I've been scratching out at work, including more scenes with our two ideologically chosen POVs and soon, with a few more.

Last edited:

Japhy

Banned
Really like the way this is going—keep it up! :)

Thankee. It always amazes me people like my work.

We need a map of the post war world.

Technically the war isn't over yet and, while I wish I could make one, it's not going to actually be nessessary, because this isnt going to be a world wide TL.

Authors Note: I have my Britler, who is from what I can tell an original selection, but I've written his introduction three times now.

Last edited:

Japhy

Banned
Part IX: Pasewalk Hospital

He was an irregular man. And he looked it.

Ewen Cameron Bruce brooded in the way only a Scot born in craggy, rough, and desolate Highlands of Gloucestershire could. He brooded as he walked his odd, near-dragoon like gait with an automatic revolver slung low under his right hip, like some American cowboy, more akin to a dusty open street in a Western than a British Army camp.

He didn’t carry the walking stick or riding crop that were the traditional signs of an officer in the British Army. Though he hadn’t served in a Scottish unit for the better half of the decade and an army resignation his uniforms stitching was all in the style of the Scottish regiments. Like many officers who’d served on the front and learned the hard way, he wore no rank insignia, only a few decoration tabs, the Royal Tank Corps unit patch and the pilots wings he’d earned in 1915. No cord tied his revolver to his belt. And to top it all off somewhere he’d picked up a Glengarry, now worn at a jaunty angle. To just build on all of it, there wasn’t even a bat-man in sight.

In another time he’d be dragged in front of a Colonel, or Brigadier, or General for this sort of disregard for regulation. But those times were long passed.

And so, he swaggered on, narrow eyes taking everything in, as he walked though Hounslow Heath, though company upon company --- even his own --- working to salvage and repair from the remnants of the Tank Force that had once so proudly led the assault towards Lemberg just a few years before, the steel sword that had almost, but not quite turned the tide a few dozen miles to the south. Now as he watched there was nothing but burnt out hulks and cordite-burnt scrap.

In another time it would have his job, as commander of one of the RTC’s devilishly important Salvage Companies to be there with the men, helping weld and bolt on plate, slice off that which was damaged, take apart engines and scrounge up parts and oil. Lift heavy things for others and help fetch things for others still, as only an officer in a Salvage Company would do, without regard for rank and only a care for skill and getting this job or that done. But this was not the time for such efforts either.

And so, as he worked his way across the former aerodrome past hangers and rows of tanks and tankettes, the tents and the men either working or drilling or simply lying about, he was also the perfect image of an officer. His back was straight, his jawline clear of any hint of stubble, his hair was perfectly combed and dressed, without a single strand out of place. He had polished his own boots, and made sure his uniform was perfectly pressed from the cuffs of his pants to the fold of his collar. His tie was as perfectly done as the rest, though in another iota of rebellion, he had done it in the Plattsburgh style.

And as he always did, he made sure that the sewn up sleeve, where his left arm had once been was all straight lines and crisp creases, without a hint of the pins and stitches that kept it folded and tightly packed near the remains of his shoulder.

The day was grey, overcast, there had been rain in the morning and if the phantom pains on his left side were any warning, there would be more in the evening. The end result of all of it being the annoyance of itches and twitches that weren’t there, and the fact that he had to take a moment scraping his boots of the mud before he went into the clapboard command office.

Nearly all the faces inside were foreign ones to him. “Old man” Hugh Elles had died on the field in Italy late the year before. The other of the “Old Breed”, Fuller was probably starving in some prison camp in Siberia, if he wasn’t dead already. And “Young” Basil in turn was in some mass grave much closer, having been trapped in a busted Mark V he’d somehow convinced Capper to let him lead in the last good hours of the war. Most everyone else who was ever about in the Corps Staff were dead, wounded, ‘interned’, or missing. But Capper, old Stone Age was still there, standing at the table with the maps, that bloated walrus mustache still in place.

Not knowing anyone, and not giving much of a damn, Bruce didn’t bother introducing himself or announcing his presence. None of these men should even be here. Not a one of them would fill the shoes of any of the men we’ve lost he sneered to himself as he passed the sort of men who always rose to staff positions, on account of never bothering to do anything worthwhile before hand, that including the General himself.

Capper heard him coming over and glanced only for a minute before going back to drawing hatchmarks and writing tallies on maps. He was immediately dismissive. “Yes, yes Major, at ease, I know.”

The Salvage Man with his Military Cross didn’t see much point in saluting as such, and instead simply moved his remaining arm behind his back. He at least refrained from speaking first.

“One of the lads here,” the General waved limply at the room behind him “forwarded your report to the War Office. Seems to have made it up to Smuts’ own desk.” He reached for a green pencil and began to color in another series of diagonal lines through the empty fields and villages of Southern England. The major took that in, and knowing just what the lines must before felt disgust when he realized that quite a few of them were north of the metropolis. But he still said nothing, and showed no sign of his fuming nature.

“Unfortunately, while you were quite enthusiastic about the whole thing, you weren’t able to identify who ambushed your laager the first night in London. As such, it is the opinion of the War Minister, and the Prime Minister and probably the King for that matter, that we can’t start taking Socialist Party members hostage and shooting ten for every man you lost that night. I know, that that must be a bit shocking for you.”

“That damned Boer and those Germans might want to pretend, but I know who damned well attacked me that night. They were as red as wild Indians, and their aim and rate were too good, they were revolutionary deserters.”

“Can’t imagine deserters being worth too much with a rifle.” The General said stage-quietly to himself more than anyone.

And,” Bruce continued, “they had armbands on, several of my men and myself caught glimpses. The only thing missing was them singing the damned Internationale.”

“Yet none of the corpses you recovered had armbands---”

“They stripped them from the corpses.”

“Or for that matter, were Army Deserters.”

“No, just easy-living draft dodgers.”

“I hardly think taking up arms in the name of high treason counts as easy living, Major.”

Bruce was furious, and unable to stop as he felt his face begin to burn a bright red. The ‘Huns in High Places’ certainly had more than enough help from men such as this.

“I demand justice for my men.”

“And they will have it, an investigation --- as you know --- is already underway. Just as they are for any of the abuses we suffered. The guilty parties will inevitably be brought in.”

“That will only matter if the government has any interest in finishing these traitors.”

Stone Age paused for a moment at that, and finally put the pencil down, looking back at the junior man. “I’m going to keep pretending I don’t know what you’re meaning is with all of this Bottomleyite garbage, Major.”

“If you wish to deny my patriotism, Sir.”

Stone Age finally seemed to drop the dismissive attitude at last with that. “‘If I wish to deny…’ Why you little, you little, Ceylonese, tin-pot, would-be, failed, Satrap. This country is falling apart, starving, facing the likes of imbecile messiahs and a goddamned Popular Front and you’re going to act as if we’re[/]... as if I’m the disloyal one here. You’re calling for outright murder. You’re no better than the Huns and the Goths with that monstrosity of a plan. My God do you even know what this war was about?”

“It doesn’t matter what it was about. What matters is we’ve been sabotaged, betrayed, and left out to dry by plenty at home when we should have been winning on the continent. As any true lover of his country would have seen from the moment we were abandoned by His Majesty’s Dear cousin.” He offered the phrase in a false German accent.

“You cabalists,” The General snarled himself now, nearly shouting, forcing men who’d been pretending not to pay attention or actually focusing on their work --- as unlikely as Bruce found the latter --- to start turning towards this joust in the back of the drafty building. “You think I don’t know what you have in mind Major? Fine, go do it! Raise your own little band of brigands and myrmidons, one of these…” He paused for a moment, his old face twisted in disgust as he said the words “‘Auxiliary Units’, play the Black Hundred. And just wait, for when the Army is on its feet again. We’ll line you up with the rest of them as deserters and pirates. Or simply toss you in jails for the rest of your lives. I can’t stop you, I don’t have the means. But you and your friends all better know that your little plans won't work. That the British Army is not some South American militia you can replace with charisma and loot and stolen coin. It has survived worse than this and it will survive the likes of you.

“If you say so, General. Goodbye.” And with that he left as he arrived, without a salute or a care for decorum. He didn’t need it now.

He was furious as he headed back to his personal tent. His mind swirled, they’d turned down his plan, but he’d know that weak men like that, the donkeys who’d led the lions of this army to defeat and surrender when victory was so close… That men like that were always going to come short to doing what was necessary.

But even the hostages plan was pushed back in his mind, heading towards the oblivion filled with broken coolies in his plantation days, or the day to day charnel houses of the front.

Stone Age it was clear knew more than him, knew about whatever these Auxiliary Units were, and thought he was a part of whomever was forming them. He wasn’t, hadn’t heard a damned thing about them. They sounded like deserters. Or perhaps like an elite force. Driven men, ready to turn the tide against the deserters, the sherkers and these Socialists and Huns.

If I’m going to be tarred as a member, they ought to be at least. He thought. And if they weren’t, well, the country needed a force like that in this hour.

By the time he got back to his tent, he had a list, most of his company was on it, and a few fellow officers. That was far from enough, but it would be enough for a start.

-----------------
As always, thoughts, comments, and criticism are more than welcome.

Also for those of you wondering: Yes he's a real historical figure, notable for serving with the RTC in Russia during the Civil War, where the took the city-that-would-become Stalingrad with one tank for the Whites (Briefly) and for his service in the IOTL Black and Tans who were the unpleasant British Equivalent to the Freikorps let loose in Ireland. An exceptionally dry, if source-heavy and interesting read of his life can be found here. Between the accusations of murder, the wanderlust for war, and the whole being a one-armed stickup man in Ireland and being the type to give the Black and Tans their reputation, I reserve the right to cite him as a pretty clear prototypical fascist goon, not very different from the types seen in the loser countries of WWI.

Last edited:
So, the heroe of Tsaritsyn has joined the game.

I wonder about the whereabouts of Percy Toplis... If he's still alive, he must be having the time of his life, with or without a monocle... ;)

So are the Aux Units a Freikorps or a Stahlhelm (they don't seem ideological enough to be the Sturmabteilung)?

Wonder what happened to T.E Lawrence...

Japhy

Banned
So are the Aux Units a Freikorps or a Stahlhelm (they don't seem ideological enough to be the Sturmabteilung)?

Freikorps. The Stahlhelm wasn't really a factor in anything until after the "Revolution" was over, same is true of the SA. Both can trace a lot of their heritage back to the Freikorps though, so these Auxiliary Units, quasi-legal(-ish) break away formations being set up on political loyalty basses and which will be filled with men who view themselves as elite, and with civilian volunteers will play far closer to the ur-paramilitary group. There will be shenanigans to be had. When the powderkeg of British Politics (Have I made it clear enough how unstable things are? Legit question) goes off, its going to be unpleasant with these types.

That said the SA comparison is probably a good one to toss out. I don't know if anyone has caught on to the section titles but they're a brief little guide to what the sections are vaguely rhyming with in Weimar. In case I'm being too clever for myself or not clever enough: Bruce here is our Britler. Enjoy him while he's around.

Wonder what happened to T.E Lawrence...

Can't say I had any plans for him.

Faeelin

Banned
I feel like America should be somewhere in all of this, if only seizing what remains of the British Empire in the western hemisphere. The Kaiser seems the sort to decide "oh yea, Bermuda. That's ours now."

Japhy

Banned
I feel like America should be somewhere in all of this, if only seizing what remains of the British Empire in the western hemisphere. The Kaiser seems the sort to decide "oh yea, Bermuda. That's ours now."

Hard to get yourself to the table at a peace conference when you were never in the war. That said, its worth noting that the Kaiser can fantasize all he wants, even without a Franco-Prussian War to trigger it, there's going to be some sort of Grant Corollary that will inevitably come up.