TL-191: Yankee Joe - Uniforms, Weapons, and Vehicles of the U.S. Armed Forces

It looks like a fun one to ride for sure! To be fair I don't think the US Army would adopt this as its primary scout car as it is in those photos. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the "jeep" could take on a shape different to that of our own jeep. This is just one idea for an alternative design that has the same specs as the real jeep OTL... it just looks funky XD

What I like about this design is its low profile. Perhaps a slightly larger design that could accommodate a mounted machine gun, doors, and other bells and whistles might fit the bill for a US Army TL-191 scout car.
What about the CSA? Would they have adopted it?

What about the CSA? Would they have adopted it?

Hm. A utility vehicle with 4-wheel drive? Yes, absolutely, I think the Confederates would adopt a vehicle like this, same as the United States. My belief is that, in spite of their best efforts, both the Yankees and Confederates just end up making things with eerily similar specs. Perhaps when it comes to the idea of the "jeep" they'd both make something that would be pretty much the same vehicle. They be different countries, but they all still think like "Americans".

Would the Confederates call their 4-wheel drive vehicle a "jeep" though? Probably not. I believe the United States would, but the Confederates would all it something else.

Hm. A utility vehicle with 4-wheel drive? Yes, absolutely, I think the Confederates would adopt a vehicle like this, same as the United States. My belief is that, in spite of their best efforts, both the Yankees and Confederates just end up making things with eerily similar specs. Perhaps when it comes to the idea of the "jeep" they'd both make something that would be pretty much the same vehicle. They be different countries, but they all still think like "Americans".

Would the Confederates call their 4-wheel drive vehicle a "jeep" though? Probably not. I believe the United States would, but the Confederates would all it something else.
I believe the name "Jeep" came from a "Popeye" character, it was a dog-like animal that made a sound that sounded like jeep so that's what Popeye named him.

Jeep was a fourth dimensional dog like animal that would say jeep and could go anywhere. Since the Jeep could go practilly anywhere it was named after him.

Drive to the East

Page 367, Hardcover

"The chassis hadn't changed much. The engine was of similar design to the old one, but put out an extra fifty horsepower. That was all to the good, because the new barrel was heavier, and needed the extra muscle to shove it around. Almost all the weight gain came from the new turret. It was bigger than the old one. Its armor was thicker and better sloped. And it had been upgunned. Instead of a 37mm-an inch and a half to a gunner-it now carried a 60mm piece-a little less than two and a half inches.

I call upon the power of @cortz#9 to make a graphic for the US's second Second Great War barrel.

Drive to the East

Page 367, Hardcover

"The chassis hadn't changed much. The engine was of similar design to the old one, but put out an extra fifty horsepower. That was all to the good, because the new barrel was heavier, and needed the extra muscle to shove it around. Almost all the weight gain came from the new turret. It was bigger than the old one. Its armor was thicker and better sloped. And it had been upgunned. Instead of a 37mm-an inch and a half to a gunner-it now carried a 60mm piece-a little less than two and a half inches.

I call upon the power of @cortz#9 to make a graphic for the US's second Second Great War barrel.
OK I can do one more. This is the best description of the Union barrel I've seen so far, it doesn't tell a lot but it sounds like it not a very large tank, er uh, I mean barrel.
60mm IIRC is similar to the British 6pdr. Interesting because that's the same caliber I used on several Confederate barrels over at the Featherston's Finest thread.

Last edited:
Drive to the East

Page 367, Hardcover

OK here's my latest take on the Union medium barrel. I used an M36 tank hull because it had decent sloped armour and used a vertical volute spring suspension like most of the US OTL tanks in WWII usedand I would think the Union in TL-191 would use the same.
The turret came from a T-34-76, I added a cannon and gun mantel from a SdKfz. 234, its close to a 6mm and had the right look and also added a 50 cal. MG. I also added a stowage rack to the turret again because most US tanks had them.

M36 Jackal-34.png

The turret here is big enough to take a bigger gun (75mm) at a later date, a concept the Union could have gotten from the Germans.

OK here's my latest take on the Union medium barrel. I used an M36 tank hull because it had decent sloped armour and used a vertical volute spring suspension like most of the US OTL tanks in WWII usedand I would think the Union in TL-191 would use the same.
The turret came from a T-34-76, I added a cannon and gun mantel from a SdKfz. 234, its close to a 6mm and had the right look and also added a 50 cal. MG. I also added a stowage rack to the turret again because most US tanks had them.

The turret here is big enough to take a bigger gun (75mm) at a later date, a concept the Union could have gotten from the Germans.

Oh, I like this one actually! It looks like a proper contender to the Confedeate Coyote. Looks like a mid to late war variant too. This is a good look into US tanks based on the info in the book!

Oh, I like this one actually! It looks like a proper contender to the Confedeate Coyote. Looks like a mid to late war variant too. This is a good look into US tanks based on the info in the book!
Caliber of the guns for both barrels would be the same more or less but the US barrel' gun has a longer barrel and would shoot a higher velocity round and this would give it better penetration than the Coyote's gun.

Caliber of the guns for both barrels would be the same more or less but the US barrel' gun has a longer barrel and would shoot a higher velocity round and this would give it better penetration than the Coyote's gun.

So this is still the Custer right? Just up gunned?

Yep. Pound says that the US army engineers worked on the Custer to make it better and let it have a chance against the new CS barrels.

Drive to the East

Page 368, Hardcover

"The US hadn't done that. And so, instead of proper Mark 2, the United States had to make do with Mark 1.5, more or less."

Yep. Pound says that the US army engineers worked on the Custer to make it better and let it have a chance against the new CS barrels.

Drive to the East

Page 368, Hardcover

"The US hadn't done that. And so, instead of proper Mark 2, the United States had to make do with Mark 1.5, more or less."
Yeah it sounds more like they upgraded the tank with a more powerful engine and a bigger turret. Kind of like the early Sherman and the Jumbo Sherman. An improved tank but not a new tank.

@cortz#9 - So I managed to find as many United States vehicles you did in order to get a better idea of how many potential designs we had. Wanted to make a summary list for all of them.

Here they are so far. Part 1 of the list.

United States Utility/Transport Vehicles: 1941-1944

US 4x4.gif

^^^ --- Truck, 1/4 ton, 4x4, Command Reconnaissance -- Billys MB, "Jeep"

MAV4 AM 2.png

^^^ --- Carrier, Personnel, Motorized Armored Vehicle No. 4 --- MAV4

* --- We should give these two vehicles names! The scout car I just called "Jeep" since I assumed this would be TL-191's US version of the Jeep. The MAV4 has no name.

@cortz#9 - Part 2 of the list!

* --- We may need to give these tanks names and proper designations for each model. The Confederate tanks that were made had clear designations and names and had a good progression tree. May need to update and clarify on certain designs to figure out what came first. Still good designs! I also really like the idea caring wracks behind the turrets of the tanks.

United States Armored Fighting Vehicles (Barrels/Tanks): 1941-1944

M1 Scout Car 37mm.png

^^^ --- B1 Scout Tank, 37mm gun

B7 Custer 75mm 2 MG.png

^^^ --- B7 Medium Tank, "Custer", 75mm gun

B7 Gen. Custer long 75mm "Armstrong".png

^^^ --- B7 Medium Tank, "Armstrong", long-barrel 75mm gun

M36 Jackal-34.png

^^^ --- B7 Medium Tank, "Custer" 60mm gun

M10_Ersatz_Panzer Roosevelt "Teddy".png

^^^ --- No designation, "Roosevelt/'Teddy'", caliber gun unknown

MS7 Roosevelt "Teddy".png

^^^ --- MS-7 (designation unclear), "Roosevelt/'Teddy'", 105mm gun

United States Armored Fighting Vehicles (Barrel-Busters/Tank-Destroyers): 1941-1944

M24 TD 7.5 KwK 42.png

^^^ --- Gun Motor Carriage, M24, 7.5cm KwK 42 L/70 gun

M36 88mm TD.png

^^^ --- Gun Motor Carriage, M36, 88mm gun

M40-Nashorn.png

^^^ --- Gun Motor Carriage, M40 (designation unclear), 88mm gun

Last edited:
@cortz#9 - Part 2 of the list!

* --- We may need to give these tanks names and proper designations for each model. The Confederate tanks that were made had clear designations and names and had a good progression tree. May need to update and clarify on certain designs to figure out what came first. Still good designs! I also really like the idea caring wracks behind the turrets of the tanks.

United States Armored Fighting Vehicles (Barrels/Tanks): 1941-1944

View attachment 436081

^^^ --- B1 Scout Tank, 37mm gun

View attachment 436082

^^^ --- B7 Medium Tank, "Custer", 75mm gun

View attachment 436083

^^^ --- B7 Medium Tank, "Armstrong", long-barrel 75mm gun

View attachment 436084

^^^ --- B7 Medium Tank, "Custer" 60mm gun

View attachment 436085

^^^ --- No designation, "Roosevelt/'Teddy'", caliber gun unknown

View attachment 436086

^^^ --- MS-7 (designation unclear), "Roosevelt/'Teddy'", 105mm gun

United States Armored Fighting Vehicles (Barrel-Busters/Tank-Destroyers): 1941-1944

View attachment 436088

^^^ --- Gun Motor Carriage, M24, 7.5cm KwK 42 L/70 gun

View attachment 436089

^^^ --- Gun Motor Carriage, M36, 88mm gun

View attachment 436095

^^^ --- Gun Motor Carriage, M40 (designation unclear), 88mm gun
I unfortunately didn't draw up these designs in a chronological order like I did over at the Featherston's Finest thread. Let me give it some thought and maybe draw up a new light barrel and I'll try to put up a chronological order of US barrels as they entered service.
As for names, you guys can come up with some suggestions.

I unfortunately didn't draw up these designs in a chronological order like I did over at the Featherston's Finest thread. Let me give it some thought and maybe draw up a new light barrel and I'll try to put up a chronological order of US barrels as they entered service.
As for names, you guys can come up with some suggestions.

Understood. Well, I'll be looking forward to the clarification and new designs you can come up with! I'm especially excited to see any Custer designs, the direct rival to the Coyote!

OK here are the Union barrels in order of their entering service from top to bottom.

8E9F8uu.png

I left out some of the barrels I posted, like the ones I did for TL's and some that I felt didn't fit in logically with the other barrels.
Will be posting Union Self Propelled Anti-Barrel Vehicles (tank destroyers) next.

Union SPABV's in order of their entering service from top to bottom.

BXI89iR.png

I plan on doing some other specialty AFV's like anti-aircraft and amphibious barrels when time permits.
The SPABV's could use some names if anyone would like take a shot at them, I would suggest something other than the name of soldiers for better clarity.