USS Montana class Battleship
In the years following the First Great War, the Union had curtailed the construction of Capital Ships. However, with the Pacific War, the Union Naval Armaments Board had made the decision to design a new generation of battleships. Which these ships were to implement not only the improvements made over the years, but also the lessons learned from the Pacific War. The battleships that ended up being designed were to be fast battleships, so that they could accompany the fleet carriers so that could escort them. In 1936, the Navy would award the construct of five of these new battleships to the Fore River, Bethlehem Steel, and New York shipyards to construct these ships. They were named the USS Montana, Massachusetts, Washington, Michigan, and Vermont, with the Montana being launched in 1939 and being commissioned in late 1940. At the time of the start of the 2nd Great War, only the Montana and Washington were completed as the Massachusetts and the rest of the class were being fitted out. The USS Washington would hunt and successfully sink the CSS Jefferson Davis in late 1941 off the coast of New Jersey with the older battleship USS Pennsylvania. The Washington alongside with her sisterships the Massachusetts and the Montana would sink the Confederate Battlecruiser Stuart and British Battleship King George V off the coast of Bermuda in September of 1943. The USS Montana would also sink the Confederate Cruiser CSS Alabama in June of 1942 somewhere miles of the coast of the Union controlled coast. The USS Michigan was damaged by Confederate Navy Frogmen while providing fire support for Union Marines in Haiti in the Autumn of 1943 and spent five months in repairs as a result. In the final months of the war, these battleship would provide gun fire support for Union Marines in operations across the Caribbean. During this time, the USS Washington and her battlefleet would also sink three Confederate destroyers and two frigates while operating in the Straits of Florida on June 1st, 1944, which would prove to be the last naval action of the war. The Washington along with her sisterships, the USS Massachusetts and USS Vermont and a number of smaller Union warships would sail into the anchorage of Tampa Bay to accept the surrender of the remaining Confederate fleet there. In the present day, two of the ships, the USS Washington and USS Massachusetts are both currently preserved as museum ships.
CSS Shark class Fleet Submarine = Same as the OTL Royal Navy T class Submarine
In late 1938, the Admiralty would authorize the construction of 15 subs of a new class for it's Blue Water Submarine Force. Weighing in 1,290 tons surfaced and 1,560 tons submerged and has 6 bow torpedo tubes and 4 external torpedo tubes. The first boat in the class, the CSS Shark, was launched in April of 1939 and commissioned in August of that year. The last boat of the first group, the CSS Sailfish, would be commissioned into service in January of 1940. The following month, the Admiralty would order 20 more boat in the class, which would be the 2nd group of the class. This was known as the Tarpon group after the first boat of it, the CSS Tarpon. Throughout the war, these ships would prove to be a problem to the Union Navy, either launching torpedo attacks on Union ships and also laying mines in Union controlled waters. Of all of the 35 boats constructed, only the CSS Shark, Dolphin, and Marlin survived the war, with the Shark and Marlin being transferred to the Texan Navy and the Dolphin being retained by the Union Navy as a training submarine until 1951, when it was sold to ship breakers in Baltimore.
CSS Barracuda class Large Fleet Submarine
Throughout the 1920s, the Confederate Admiralty was throwing around ideas for large fleet submarines, which were submarines that could operation deep in the Atlantic for long periods. In 1929, the final design, Project 227, was made, with six forward torpedo tubes, four rear torpedo tubes, two deck guns and two 37mm AA guns. In all, two boats would be ordered and laid down in December of 1929 and the first boat, the CSS Barracuda, was commissioned in June of 1931, followed by the CSS Wahoo in the following month. By the beginning of the 2nd Great War, the two submarines would operating off the coast of New Jersey and New York, laying sea mines and attacking enemy shipping. However, the Wahoo would be lost off the coast of New Jersey on September 11th, 1941 to Union Coastal Patrol Aircraft, which attacked it and sunk it with depth charges, kill all aboard. A month later, the CSS Barracuda would sink the Union tanker, SS Lake Huron and cargo ships, SS Oregon City and SS Harvard off the coast of Long Island and the Armed Trawler, USS Pawnee. In March of 1942, while operating off the coast of the Maine, would strike a naval mine and sink with all hands.
CSS Croaker class Large Fleet Submarine
Following the commissioning of the Barracuda class of large fleet submarines, the Admiralty would order a modified version of the class to be designed. In 1934, the design, Project 1134a, would be ordered with 6 boats. In May of 1936, the CSS Croaker was launched and was commissioned in October of 1936, which was followed by the CSS Angelfish, Salmon, Flounder, and Trumpetfish would enter service, with the final planned member of the class, the CSS Minnow being completed to a modified design. Throughout the war, the class was used in many roles, from attacking enemy ships, mine laying, and even being used for supplying Confederate Forces in Haiti. The CSS Salmon would notably sink the Union submarine USS Gato with her deck guns in a duel with that sub on July 16th, 1942 in the Atlantic near Bermuda. The Flounder on September 17th, 1943 would attempt to torpedo the Union carrier USS Enterprise, but was sunk by it's destroyer escort, the USS Samuel B. Roberts. At war's end, only the CSS Salmon would survive when it was surrendered at the main Confederate submarine base at Fort Lauderdale Florida. It was eventually sold for scrap metal in Miami in April of 1945. During the war, the CSS Salmon and Trumpetfish would be used to carry Confederate Frogmen in August of 1942 to make attacks on docked Union ships at port.
CSS Minnow, Aircraft Submarine
During it's construction, the Admiralty would order that the CSS Minnow be built to a modified design, which was to be an aircraft carrying submarine with a stowage for an airplane and a ramp for the plane to take off from. After it's commissioning in 1937, the CSS Minnow would be used to test the concept of an aircraft carrier submarine, in which they would prove successful. However, the CSS Minnow would remain the only aircraft submarine in Confederate Service as Featherson prevented the construction of more aircraft carrying subs. During the war, the Minnow would use her Hughes V-36 Seal scout plane to scout out enemy convoys for Confederate submarines. In August of 1943, the Minnow would be ordered to converted into a cargo submarine with her Seal scout plane and the launch ramp be removed. Until October of that year, the Minnow would be used to transport crucial supplies to Confederate Forces in Haiti. Then on October 14th, while running on the surface near Cuba and returning to it's home base of Fort Lauderdale, the Minnow was attacked by Union Navy fighter bombers and was sunk, with ten of her crew members being rescued by the frigate CSS McCoy. The Minnow's V-36 Seal was eventually found by the Union Army in a warehouse in Florida in September of 1944, and is now preserved at the Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, Ohio.
CSS Catfish class Fleet Submarine
In the early 1930s, the Confederate Admiralty would design a new class of fleet submarines for it's fleet, which consisted of four front and two rear torpedo tubes, and a single deck gun. The boats would be constructed from 1931 to 1934 in two batches of 25 each. Two boats would be lost before the war, with the CSS Guppy being lost due to mysterious circumstances off of Cuba in 1939 and the CSS Porcupinefish being declared a constructive loss following an explosion in the forward torpedo room in May of 1937 in Guantanamo, Cuba. Following an extensive investigation, it was determined that the explosion was used by human error. Throughout the war, the class would serve in the roles of both ship hunting and as mine layers. The most famous member of the class, the CSS Drum under the Skipper John Reynolds, sank 200,000 tons of Union shipping, which the CSS Drum proved be the top scoring Confederate sub of the war. It was ultimately captured at Fort Lauderdale in 1944 and was sunk as target practice by the Union Navy in 1946. In all, two more of the class, the CSS Ling and CSS Cobia would also survive the war, and were both transferred to the Texan Navy where they served until 1957, when they were scrapped in Brownsville. The Confederacy would also built 10 more ships of the class for the Mexican Navy, which served until the late 1950s.
CSS Bonefish class Submarine
After the First Great War, the Confederacy would be banned from owning submarines for it's navy. However in the early 1920s, the Confederate Admiralty would begin considering on getting new submarines for it's navy. The Confederacy would also construct some submarines for the navies of China, Siam, and Venezuela under a 3rd Party Company in Portugal. The ultimate design chosen was pretty much identical to the class built for the Royal Siamese Navy, with four forward and one rear torpedo tubes and a single deck gun. Four of these new boats for the CSN would be built in Portugal and four more built at the Mobile Naval Arsenal. While under construction, the cash strapped Confederate Navy would sell two of the submarines to the Greek Navy, which would serve in the Royal Hellenic Navy until the late 1940s. The first boat, CSS Bonefish would be launched at Lisbon in 1927 and be commissioned in 1928, and the remainder of the class would be completed in 1928. The class serve the frontline Confederate Submarine Fleet until 1938 when they were re delegated to service as training submarines. In the training role, the submarines would operate out of Mobile in the Gulf of Mexico until 1944 when they were evacuated to Tampa when the Union Army approached the city. Following the war, four of the submarines would be scrapped at Mobile while the rest were disposed as target practice by the Union Navy in the Atlantic in 1945.
CSS Spearfish class Submarine
The Confederate Admiralty would order 30 submarines in a new class as part of their Modernization Plan of 1936. These boats were to be equipped with six forward and two aft torpedo tubes and a single deck gun on the conning tower. The first 10 boats would be laid down at the United Steel Shipyard in New Orleans in the spring of 1937 while more would be laid down at the Mobile Naval Arsenal and the Charleston Electric Boat Company shipyard in Charleston in the summer of that year. The first boat, CSS Spearfish, would be launched on August 9th, 1937 and would be commissioned in December of that year. The final boats would be commissioned into the fleet in the Spring of 1938. In July of 1937, the Admiralty would order 25 more boats of the class, which the first boats would be launched in May of 1938 and be commissioned later that year. Like with all Confederate Fleet Submarines during the war, the Spearfish class would be used for many different uses and saw plenty of service. In 1938, the Mobile Shipyard would constructed 10 of the boats for the Mexican Navy and 10 for the Siamese Navy, and in late 1940, Venezuela, Chile, Spain, and Persia each would also order 10 of these boats from the Confederacy, but when war began, would be impressed into the Confederate Navy. During the war, the class would be the only Oceangoing Submarine to be built beyond August 2nd, 1942 as these boats were the cheapest and easiest to construct, as a result, 59 of the boats would be constructed and commissioned as the D-2 subclass. A total of 144 of the boats would be used by the Confederacy during the 2nd Great War, which many of the survivors would be used by the Union Navy as training vessels all the way up to the early 1960s. The CSS Lionfish would be notable as to being destroyed by the Union sub USS Sturgeon near the coast of Long Island in November of 1943 in the only instance of underwater sub on sub battle in Naval History. Today only two of them survive to this day, one in Siam and one in Jacksonville Florida, the ex CSS D-31.
CSS Tyrannosaurus, Cruiser Submarine = OTL Surcouf Cruiser Submarine
In the early 1930s, the Confederate Admiralty would have a fascination of constructing so-called "Underwater Cruisers" and "Underwater Battleships." So much so, that they would order from the United Steel Shipyard in 1932 a large sized submarine of the Project 1446 specification. That specification called for the submarine to be armed with two 8' guns, 6 forward and four rear torpedo tubes, and to also feature a hanger for an airplane. The Admiralty decided that the naming convention for Cruiser Submarines to be of Dinosaur names, thus breaking from the tradition of naming subs after fish. When launched in 1934, the boat would be named the CSS Tyrannosaurus and was commissioned in March of 1936. The scout plane was originally a modified Talbot T-31 scout plane, but in 1937, would be replaced by a Hughes V-36 Seal scout plane. Despite seeing significant use throughout the war and sinking 39 Union ships, only two of them would be sunk by the CSS Tyrannosaurus' guns, they were merchant ship SS Columbia off Long Island in 1942 and the minesweeper USS Tornado in the Bahamas in 1941. The Tyrannosaurus would ultimately be surrendered at Tampa Bay in 1944, and was thoroughly examined by the USN until was sold for scrap in 1947.
CSS Spinosaurus class Cruiser Submarine
After the commissioning of the CSS Tyrannosaurus, the Admiralty would begin design studies for a potential follow on design. The final design would consist of six forward and four rear torpedo tubes, but it's most powerful weapons were to be dual mount 8' gun turrets. The first boat was laid down on September 7th, 1938 and five more would be laid down afterwards. In April of 1941, the CSS Spinosaurus would be launched, which was followed by the CSS Triceratops, Brontosaurus, and Allosaurus being launched, while two others had their construction slowed down and finally suspended in August of 1942. Only the CSS Spinosaurus would commissioned as it was originally designed while it's sisterships would be modified into Supply Submarines during their construction (though the Triceratops and Allosaurus were completed. During the Spinosaurus' career, the boat only sank three enemy vessels, two merchant ships and one destroyer escort, the USS Mueller, with one of the merchant ships being sunk by it's 8' guns. Then in April of 1943, the Spinosaurus was re-designated as a gunnery training vessel. During the fight for the island of Haiti, both the Triceratops and the Allosaurus were used to re-supply Confederate forces on the island, and the Triceratops would be sunk by the Union destroyer USS Edson on August 26th, 1943. The Allosaurus was also lost when it was destroyed in a Union bombing raid of the Submarine Base at Fort Lauderdale on March 28th, 1944 while being restocked to resupply Confederate forces in Cuba. The CSS Spinosaurus would be scuttled by her crew at the Port of Houston on April 30th, 1944 as Union troops and Texan rebels approached the city, and was raised in 1945 and subsequently broken up. The two incomplete hulls would be broken up on there slipways after the war in Mobile. The incomplete CSS Brontosaurus would also be broken up after being inspected by the Union Navy in 1947 at Mobile Alabama.
CSS William W. J. Kelly class Destroyer
In 1938, the Confederate Admiralty would order the construction of a class of ocean going destroyers meant to accompany the planned Jefferson Davis class Battleships deep into the Atlantic. The said class (Project 644) was to have 10 ships in it, which the armament was to be three dual mount turrets of automatic 5' guns, two quad tubed torpedo launchers, and numerous small caliber AA guns. The first four ships would be laid down at the Charleston Electric Boat Company on August 1, 1938, two more would be laid down at Norfolk on September 4, 1938, and the last four laid down at the Mobile Naval Arsenal on September 10, 1938. The first ship, CSS William W. J. Kelly was launched on June 19th, 1940 and commissioned on July 26th, 1941, the other members of the class would be the Rourke, James A. Peterson, and Paul S. Kinsley from Charleston, the CSS Thompson and Robert M. Jackson from Norfolk, and finally Xavier C. LePoint, Cox, Garcia, and Timothy W. Brown from Mobile. Throughout the war, the class would see heavy use, and only two of the ships, CSS Thompson and CSS Rourke would survive the war, with the remainder being lost during the war either to enemy action, friendly fire (as was the case with the CSS Garcia when she was sunk by Confederate Air Force Asskickers in late 1943), or were damaged beyond repair (CSS Cox and Robert M. Jackson would both be damaged during the Superbombing of Charleston, which both of them would be abandoned and eventually be scuttled in 1945.) The CSS Thompson would be retained by the US Navy as the USS Thompson and used until 1954 as a training vessel. While the CSS Rourke was awarded to Texas and renamed the Crockett, which served with the Texan Navy until 1962, when she was donated for preservation as a Museum Ship in Houston, and is now the only surviving Confederate surface warship.
CSS R. J. Vickers class Destroyer
Around the same time as Project 644 was being considered for construction, the Admiralty would authorize the construction of the 14 ships belonging to a class of destroyers that were designed for operations in the Caribbean. The ships were to constructed at both the United Steel Shipyard and the Galveston Shipyard. The class was to be built to the specification of Project 455, which was to be armed with three single mount 5' guns, two triple torpedo tubes, one 40mm AA gun, and two 20mm AA guns. The first ship, CSS R. J. Vickers, was launched on April 9th, 1940 and was commissioned on March 29th, 1941. When the 2nd Great War commenced, three ships of the class, the Vickers, Onslow, and William T. Glassell would be completed, the Glassell was at New Orleans whereas the other two members were at the Bahamas. The CSS Onslow would be lost at the Bahamas when she struck a naval mine near Chub Cay while carrying some Marines to secure the island. The other ships of the class would be the Richard S. Smith, Morris, Rawlings, Terry M. Dorlitz, Howard Kiss, Hammond, Truxtun, Thomas B. Huger, Randall L. Lowell, James P. Anderson, and Edward Hubbard. The ships would see service throughout the war, many of them would be sent out to the Atlantic, an area of where they were not designed to operate in. All of them would be lost during the war, the Edward Hubbard and Thomas B. Huger would both be lost on June 1st, 1944 in the last surface engagement of the war.
CSS Eagle class Destroyer
In 1935, the Confederate Admiralty would 8 destroyers under the Project 606 specification, which was similar in all respects to the British D & E class destroyers* that were being constructed at the time. The original armament of the destroyers were three single mount 5' guns, two triple mount torpedo launchers, one 25mm AA gun, and four 13mm AA machine guns, the armament would be upgraded during before and during the war. In addition to the 8 ships being built for the Confederacy, 4 ships would additionally be constructed for the Imperial Mexican Navy starting in 1936. The first ship would launched in May of 1937 as the CSS Eagle, which it's sisterships would the Hawk, Falcon, Vulture, Condor, Buzzard, Osprey, and Kingfisher, all of the ships would be commissioned into the fleet by June of 1939. In March of 1941, the CSS Hawk and CSS Condor would be modified to carry mine laying equipment as they were reclassified as Minelaying Destroyers. These two ships would go on to lay mine in the water around Norfolk, Virginia and also along the coastlines of Delaware, Virginia, the Bahamas, North Carolina, and South Carolina. The other destroyers would serve in various operations during the war, such the invasion of the Bahamas and Bermuda. From October of 1942 onwards, the CSS Falcon would be posted to Tampa, Florida where it protected the harbor until war's end. The CSS Falcon, Hawk, and Osprey would be the only members of the class to survive the war. Which the Falcon would be scrapped in Delaware in late 1944 whereas the Hawk and Osprey would both be used to clear mines in the American Coastal Waters as part of the Confederate Mine Clearing Force from late 1944 to the summer of 1947. Afterwards, both of them would be sold to shipbreakers in Mobile Alabama.
* = Similar to the OTL G&H class Destroyer
CSS John Y. Beall class Destroyer
In 1932 following a debate within the Admiralty, it was decided to construct two different classes of destroyers with 10 ship for each class. One of them, was Project 27, which was to be armed with 5 single mount 5' guns, two triple mount torpedo tubes, and several smaller caliber AA guns. The first ships would be laid down at the Mobile Naval Arsenal in September of 1932 with the first ships being launched in July of 1935, and first commissioning in 1937. The class members were the John Y. Beall, Johnathan R. Walsh, Tuner Ashby, Douglas H. Cooper, Melvin P. Dickerson, Herman Cumming, Alfred K. Powers, Robert R. Carter, Emerson, and Judah P. Benjamin. Throughout their careers, the ships would serve with the Confederate Atlantic Fleet, in which they would battle the Union Navy during the Battle of the Atlantic throughout the war. The sole surviving member of the class was the CSS Robert R. Carter, which was captured with the other Confederate Ships at Tampa Bay at war's end. It was used by the Confederate Mine Clearing Force as a minesweeper tender until June of 1947, when it was ultimately sold for scrapping in Delaware.
CSS George E. Pickett class Flotilla Leader
In 1932, the Confederate Admiralty would order into construction the Flotilla Leader class following the Project 1233 specification. The armament included 4 single mount 5' guns, two triple mount torpedo tubes, three 25mm AA guns, and four 13mm AA machine guns. The first ship, the CSS George E. Pickett would be launched on December 29th, 1934 and would be commissioned on November 30th, 1936. It's sisterships would be the Clifton R. Beckingridge, Franklin A. Gutterborough, Albert Pike, John H. Kelly, and Thomas S. Schofield. Like the John Y. Beall class, these were ships that were intended to serve in the Atlantic alongside larger Confederate Warships. One ship would be constructed for the Imperial Mexican Navy starting in 1934 and delivered in 1938, but as a Large Destroyer. Sometime during the summer of 1940, all of the ships in the class were reclassified as destroyers. Throughout the war, the ships would see service and would be upgraded. A depiction of the CSS George E. Pickett shown here shows her following her February of 1943 refit, which had one of her torpedo launchers removed, her AA capacity increased, and also equipped with new anti-submarine radar. The same ship would be notable for single handedly taking one the Union light cruiser USS Detroit and causing severe damage to the cruiser. Ultimately, the CSS G.E. Pickett would be captured at Tampa Bay at War's end along with her sistership the J. H. Kelly, and they would both be scrapped at Mobile in the late 1940s.
CSS Tucker class Destroyer = Same as the OTL Wicher class Destroyer of the Polish Navy
Following the First Great War, the Confederate Destroyer Fleet would be reduced to 13 ships to meet the terms of the Treaty of Philadelphia of 1918. During the 1920s, the Confederate Admiralty would be making designs for a new generation of destroyers for it's fleet. The ultimate destroyer design would Project 438, which was similar in design and specification to the French Bourrasque class Destroyer. Construction of these destroyers would begin in May of 1929 with a total of 12 ship being ordered, 5 each being constructed at the United Steel Shipyard and the Mobile Naval Arsenal, the remainder being constructed at the Galveston Shipbuilding Company, a subsidiary of the Tredegar Steel Works. The first ship, the CSS Tucker, would be launched on April 1st, 1931 and be commissioned on July 4th, 1932. The following ships would be the Powell, Horace L. Hunley, James P. Simms, John Thatcher, Thomas D. Squire, Kingston, Andersen, William Steele, Glenn, Rodger Sanders, Ezra L. Lawson, and Arnold J. Holmes. In addition, the Confederacy would also build 5 of these ships for the Mexican Navy and two for the Brazilian Navy. During the 2nd Great War, 6 of the ships within the class would operate as escorts for merchant ships to defend against Union submarines while the other half would serve in offensive operations. In June of 1942 while operating off the coast of Delaware, three of the ships, the Andersen, Glenn, and James P. Simms would be lost as a result of both miscommunication and general confusion while they sailed in heavy fog, which resulted them in being ingloriously destroyed by Confederate Sea Mines. Later that month, the CSS Powell would be sunk alongside the CSS Alabama by the Union Battleship USS Montana. The remaining ships would all eventually be destroyed in the last weeks of the war while defending the coastal cities of Wilmington, New Orleans, and Mobile from advancing Union forces.
CSS Coyote class Light Destroyer
In the years following the First Great War, the Admiralty was working on breaching the Naval Armaments Treaty forced upon it by the Union. One of the first warships to be built for the Confederate Navy was the Coyote class, which was based off of Late-War destroyer designs. The design called for two 4 inch main guns with two 3.7 inch guns to either side of the side, two 75mm M1915 AA guns, four 7.7mm AA machine-guns, and two twin torpedo launchers. By 1928, all 6 ships of the class, Coyote, Wolf, Jackal, Bear, Ferret, and Fox would all be commissioned. These ships would be reclassified as Light Destroyers upon the commissioning of the first ships of the Tucker class Destroyer in 1932. For most of the 2nd Great War, these destroyers would serve to protect and patrol the entrances of important harbors from Union submarines and motor torpedo boats. In 1944, these ships would make a futile effort to defend Confederate Waters from the much superior Union Navy. At war's end, two of the ships, the CSS Fox and CSS Ferret would survive the war, and would both be sold to scrap in 1945 to breakers in Galveston, Texas.
CSS Wrigley class Torpedo Boat
Following the First Great War and the Scuttling of the Confederate High Seas Fleet in the Bahamas, their destroyer fleet would be drastically be reduced in size. In planning in building it up again, the Confederate Admiralty would order the construction of 6 six ships following the Project 56 specification, was essentially a development of Wartime designs. The armament was to be two 95mm deck guns, a 75mm AA gun, four 7.7mm AA machine guns, and two dual torpedo launchers. Construction would start on this class in 1925 and the first ship would be launched in April of 1926 and commissioned in May of 1927. The ships in the class would the Wrigley, Allen Thomas, Joseph L. Hogg, George McPeak, Peter M. Davis, and Andrew Jones, and the ships would be classified as Torpedo Boats rather than as Destroyers. By late 1940, the Admiralty was considering of retiring them from service and disposing of them, but the outbreak of war would prevent this. During the war, these ships would be used to defend Confederate ports from attacks by Union submarines, and in the waning days of the Confederacy's existence, would be used in the desperate final defense of the country. After the end of the war, the Wrigley, George McPeak, and the Allen Thomas would be used as minesweeper by the Confederate Mine Clearing Force until June of 1947. In late 1947, the three old Torpedo Ships would be sold to ship breakers in Mobile Alabama.
D-1 class Destroyer
The Confederate Admiralty would authorize the construction of 16 ships of the D class of Destroyers in 1904. The original armament for the ships was a 3.7 inch main gun, a 75mm deck gun, and three dual torpedo launchers. During the First Great War, the class would see extensive service in the war, with the loss of 5 ships of the class to Union warships and one being sunk by a Sea Mine off the coast of Virginia. After war's end, the Confederacy would be allowed to retain 8 of the ships for it's navy. By the early 1930s, the ships would be withdrawn to secondary duties, such as harbor patrol, gunnery training, and guardship, evem the CSS D-4 was converted into a controlled target ship. When the 2nd Great War began in 1941, 5 of these ships would remain, and would be used as harbor patrol ships at Confederate ports. When the war ended, these would be broken up for scrap.
Ohio-class (1915) Ohio, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, Connecticut (First US battleships to be armed with 16-inch guns)
Vermont-class (1916) Vermont, Indiana, Kansas, Nevada (built in response to the Royal Navy's "Super" Dreadnoughts and the French Lyon-class)
Post-GW1 construction would be curtailed by Socialist government cuts to defense spending, and several of the older battleships such as the Washington, Oregon and Delaware would be scrapped. USS New Jersey, the first Battlecruiser of the US navy, was initially to be converted into an Aircraft Carrier, to be named USS Vindication, but this program was cut after the USS Remembrance was commissioned and the hull was scrapped after languishing in political limbo for several years. Her sisters, USS Colorado and USS Missouri, never progressed beyond their keels and were likewise scrapped.
Second Great War era
With the Increase in militant rhetoric and the rise of right-wing governments in the CSA and Europe, the US Navy was forced to evaluate its battlefleet in the 1930's and found it desperately wanting. With their newest battleships already 20 years old and another war with Japan at their door, the Fleet began a crash program to modernize their aging vessels and construct new models.
California-class (1939) California, Montana, West Virginia, Maryland (built as part of the "New Model Navy" program in response to British and French buildup)
Idaho-class (1941) Idaho, Nebraska, Wyoming, Rhode Island (built in response to reports of Japanese "Super Battleships," armed with 18-inch guns)
New Mexico-class (1942) New Mexico, Missouri, Colorado (name taken from scrapped battlecruiser, First Battleships designed with a Carrier task force in mind)
a Prototype design for a new USS Oregon armed with German-designed 20-inch guns was proposed, but the lack of large battleship engagements and the end of the war saw the design shelved.
With the end of the Second Great War and the fall of the CSA, the US would downscale its Battleship fleet massively, as its domain as the primary superpower in the western hemisphere left it with few challengers. Many of the GW1 era warships would be scrapped or sold, with the Indiana and Kansas being sold to Chile and Nevada to Brazil. Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Maine would become museum ships in their respective states, while the foremast and a trio of main guns from the USS New York would be erected as a memorial to fallen sailors in New York City. Many cities would clamor for memorial guns from the ships, and a number of city squares would soon be adorned with anchors, light guns, compass towers or masts from the old vessels. Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa would suffer a slightly more inglorious fate, being used as part of Superbomb tests in the South Pacific alongside most of the Confederate Navy. To the credit of the US builders, the ships resolutely refused to sink despite being struck by 3 bomb blasts, while many of their CSA counterparts succumbed after only one.
USS Dakota, a hero of both Great Wars, would become something of an Ambassadorial ship, touring the US and her allied states in the aftermath of the war. She would become the first US Warship to enter Charleston, South Carolina after its return to the Union, where the renunciation of secession would be signed by the state governing commission. The Ship's banner from the Battle of the Three Navies would be raised over Fort Sumpter by an honor guard of Colored personnel specially selected from each branch of the US military and overseen by Irving Morrell.
After swinging around Cape Horn and another visit to Pearl Harbor, where she would be anchored alongside the brand-new USS Colorado, She would deliver a team from San Francisco to Panama to make the first surveys for a canal, before, in 1947, settling into a permanent dry dock in Boston Harbor alongside the Frigate USS Constitution.
As for the story of the ship, I will not bother writing it out as it was already explained.
USS Sandwich Islands class
In the early 1930s prior to the Pacific War, the Union Navy was permitted by treaty to construct 4 new aircraft carriers. Two of the ships were ordered to be built at around 17,000 displacement and were laid down in 1931 at Bethlehem Shipyards and were named the USS Sandwich Islands and USS Ranger respectively, both ships would both be completed and commissioned in late 1934. During the 2nd Great War, both ships would be used to engage the navies of Britain, the Confederacy, and France, with the Sandwich Islands being notably drawn away from Bermuda when the joint Anglo-Confederate forces invaded it. Following which, the USS Sandwich Islands would be deployed The Ranger would be used to ferry aircraft in support of operations against the Confederacy in the Caribbean. After war's end, both ships would be decommissioned and would be scrapped in Delaware in the late 1940s.
USS Bonhomme Richard class = OTL Yorktown Class
As the Sandwich Islands class carriers were being constructed in 1933, proposals for a follow on class were being thrown around, with the intentions of implementing the lessons learned from the Pacific War. The final design that was selected was to weigh in at around 25,000 tons fully loaded. The first two ships, USS Bonhomme Richard and USS Enterprise would both ordered in 1934 at the New York Naval Yard and the first ship, the Bonhomme Richard would be commissioned in 1937, and the Enterprise, in 1938. In addition, another ship, the USS Hornet, would be laid down in 1939 as it was seen that war was on the horizon, and would be commissioned in September of 1941. When war broke out in 1941, both ships would be at port in Boston, Massachusetts, and would be deployed to counter any threat to Central Power shipping in the Atlantic. The USS Bonhomme Richard would be notable as her torpedo bombers would damage the Confederate Battleship CSS Jefferson Davis in a way which severely reduced her speed, which would ultimately doom the Davis. Following the loss of the USS Remembrance, both the Bonhomme Richard and the Hornet would be redeployed to the Pacific to deal with the Japanese in early 1942, there, they would engage the Japanese until 1943 when Japan switched sides (though the Bonhomme Richard would be lost to the Japanese Navy in late 1942.) The Enterprise in September of 1943 would use her aircraft to engage enemy warships in the area of Bermuda, they would destroy the cruisers HMS Surrey and CSS Jacksonville, 3 Confederate and 1 British destroyers, and a Confederate fleet refueling ship named the CSS Taino. Following the Bermuda campaign, both the Hornet and Enterprise would provide air support for Union operations in the Caribbean region and the Atlantic coastal regions of the Confederacy. Following war's end, both ships would be used as training vessels until 1952 when they were decommissioned, with the Enterprise being preserved as a museum ship in Plymouth Massachusetts while the Hornet was sold for scrap in 1958.
USS Oriskany class = Similar to the USS Wasp of OTL with a shortened funnel
In 1937, the United States Navy foresaw that another war was on it's way, in part, the Navy would draw up specifications for a new class of aircraft carriers. The planned displacement was to be between 18,000 to 20,000 tons fully loaded and two ships, the USS Oriskany and USS Wasp would be ordered and laid down in December of 1937 at the newly expanded shipyards of Halifax and at the New York Naval Shipyard. The Oriskany would be the completed in February of 1941 which was followed by the Wasp in June of the same year. With the outbreak of hostilities, the Oriskany would be deployed on anti-submarine operations off the coast of Long Island while the Wasp was made the flagship of the Union 9th Fleet, which took part in Operations in the North Atlantic to counter potential British supply runs to Canadian insurgents. In this role, the Wasp would prove to be successful, sinking two British blockade runners and capturing another, and would play a role in the hunt for the Confederate raider CSS Texas. In early December, the Oriskany was preparing to set sail for the Pacific when it was mined by Confederate Navy Frogmen, which caused damage to her hull which resulted in her being out of action for 6 months. Instead, the USS Wasp would be sent to the Pacific along with the Bonhomme Richard and Hornet. The Wasp would remain in the Pacific until late 1943 when she was ordered back into the Atlantic to assist with the Union Navy. Meanwhile, following her repairs, the USS Oriskany would take part in operations against the Entente Naval Forces, in which her air units would sink the French Battleship Normandie, the cruisers HMS Leander, Argonaut, and Tourville, and 2 Confederate, 1 French, and 2 British destroyers. However on February 18th, 1944, the submarine HMS Trident would torpedo the USS Oriskany and cause significant damage to the ship, as a result, the Oriskany would be scuttled in the Northern Atlantic. After returning to the Atlantic, the USS Wasp would see action against the Argentine Navy, in which her aircraft would destroy a Argentine destroyer and bombard Argentine installations. Her air complement would also attack British forces in Africa as part of assistance to the German forces there. After war's end, the USS Wasp would be put into reserve at Puget Sound in Washington in late 1944, to which she would remain there until she was struck in 1953. The former Wasp would eventually be sold for breaking in 1956.
USS Benjamin Franklin class = OTL Essex class
In 1939, the US Navy would begin plans for a follow-on design for the Benhomme Richard class, the new design would also incorporate design elements from the Oriskany class, the total planned weight was to be 34,000 tons fully loaded. The first two ships of the class, USS Benjamin Franklin and USS Yorktown would both be laid down in March of 1940 in Halifax and would be launched in the summer of 1941 and commissioned in January of 1942. The USS Benjamin Franklin would be deployed to the Pacific to deal with the Japanese while the Yorktown would be deployed in the Atlantic. During the war five more ships of the class, the USS Remembrance, Ticonderoga, Valley Forge, Lubbock, and Princeton would be commissioned between 1942-1944, with four more being completed after war's end, the USS Intrepid, Saratoga, Randolph, and Mitchell. For several decades following the end of the 2nd Great War, the Benjamin Franklin class would serve as the backbone of the US Navy Aircraft Carrier force. In the present day, two of the ships, USS Remembrance and USS Yorktown are both currently preserved a museum ships. The notable actions of the class included the USS Yorktown and USS Ticonderoga both taking part in the retaking of Bermuda and playing a role in the destruction of the CSS Stuart, HMS King George V, and their battlegroup. The USS Remembrance would also have a big role in the war as she provided Naval Air Support for the landings in Haiti and in Cuba and would also be one of the Union Navy ships to sail into Tampa Bay at War's End.