TL-191: After the End

Is there a fictional analog of Charles Holst, during and after his time as president? Mainly as a villainous satire, like say FE: Homelander from the Boys eventually becoming somewhat of an analogue for Trump.

For those newer viewers, here's the rundown who Holst is, or gonna be:

And for the Dixie Mafia Scandal:

There were various works of fiction that featured antagonistic characters that were derived from Holst after the fall of his administration. These fictional depictions of Holst varied in artistic quality.

One of the better received fictional portrayals of the Holst administration and the Dixie Mafia Scandal was Pond Republic, an animated American Fantasy dystopian film that was written and directed by Abner Aitken and released in 2030.

The setting of the Pond Republic was a pond inhabited by anthropomorphic animals, which is gradually taken over by a cruel snapping turtle demagogue with assistance from a shadowy army of vipers. The tone and ending of Pond Republic has some similarities to Animal Farm from our world.

Last edited:
Chung Ju-yung doesn’t exist in TTL.

-
The reconstruction of Gyeongbokgung palace began in 1984, and was not completed until 2036 in TTL.
In the same vein, how does the Republic of Korea in this timeline compare to OTL South Korea in term of economy, HDI, and soft power. Furthermore, do Chaebols exist ITTL Korea, and if so, are they as influential as they are IOTL?

I would be very interested to read a biography of your character Doctor Lucas Braga and Admiral Okada Harouka.

Can I just ask if the Horatio Hornblower series of novels by C. S. Forester might have been written in this universe, or a counterpart.

I would be very interested to read a biography of your character Doctor Lucas Braga and Admiral Okada Harouka.

Can I just ask if the Horatio Hornblower series of novels by C. S. Forester might have been written in this universe, or a counterpart.

Okada Haruka was born in Tokyo in 1892. He attended and graduated from the Imperial Japanese Naval Academy prior the beginning of the First Great War.

Okada served in the Imperial Japanese Navy during the First Great War, and survived the Battle of the Three Navies in 1916. Okada continued to rise in the ranks of the Imperial Japanese Navy during the Interwar period, and fought in the Pacific War against the United States during the early 1930s.

Okada also served in the Second Great War, first in the Japanese naval actions against the United States, and later in the Japanese offensives against the British Empire in Southeast Asia towards the end of the war. After the end of the Second Great War, Okada rose to the highest ranks of the Imperial Japanese Navy, and was an admiral beginning in 1955.

Okada Haruka never had favorable views of the United States. However, he developed a wariness of the United States during his decades of active military service. He believed that the United States was the most dangerous enemy that the Japanese Empire faced. Unlike many high ranking Japanese military leaders, who dismissed the US because of the ultimate outcomes for Japan in the two Great Wars and the early 1930s Pacific War, Okada believed that the United States, with its former enemies in North America defeated, would use its full military and industrial power in a future war with Japan. Okada believed that war with the United States should be avoided, and that the Japanese Empire should focus on consolidating its control over the Co-Prosperity Sphere.

By the 1950s, Admiral Okada had also came to view the continuing Japanese war of conquest in China as a waste of resources. This, and Okada’s opposition to waging an offensive war against the United States, put him directly at odds with the Japanese military commanders who made up the Universal Victory faction, as well as Japanese military officers who belonged to even more fanatical secret societies. During the 1950s, Okada did come to occupy an influential position along the highest ranking Japanese naval officers. Okada gradually became more and more embroiled in strategic and ideological arguments, as well as disputes over resources, between the Imperial Japanese Army and Imperial Japanese Navy that would eventually end in open fighting between the two military branches in the Japanese Civil War during the Fourth Pacific War.

Admiral Okada, in spite of his opposition to continuing the war in China and launching an offensive war against the United States, was not a pacifist. Had Okada come to power in 1966 as Japan’s prime minister instead of General Ishii Yamada, he would have attempted a grand strategy of isolating the United States by undermining and breaking apart the postwar US-German anti-proliferation alliance. Okada also believed that the Japanese Empire should have pursued a diplomatic strategy of undermining and breaking apart the Independence Movement, with the goal of gaining Bharat as a military ally.

Admiral Okada quickly became the strongest opponent among the highest ranking Japanese military officers to the regime of Ishii Yamada. In late 1967, as Ishii argued forcefully for an offensive war against the United States and the CDS in response the isolation of Japan following the beginning of the Second Chinese Revolution, Okada initially succeeded in preventing a decision in favour of war. This opposition to General Ishii collapsed after Admiral Okada was severely wounded in an attempted assassination by ultra-nationalists supportive of Ishii, though, as historians later discovered, not on Ishii’s direct orders. Okada, recuperating from his wounds, resigned from his military position, and was effectively confined to house arrest.

Okada collapsed into despair after the beginning of the Fourth Pacific War, and the devastating setbacks that the Japanese military experienced at the hands of the United States and the CDS. Okada also became deeply fatalistic, and prevented naval officers from launching a coup against Ishii following the first of what proved to be two US nuclear attacks against Unit 731 in early 1968.

Later in 1968, after the successful US-Russian invasion of Mongolia and the joint US-CDS invasion of Japanese-held West Papua, several high ranking Japanese military commanders and civilian officials plotted to orchestrate a coup against General Ishii with the goal of replacing him with Admiral Okada, though without Okada’s knowledge. General Ishii, upon learning of this plot, used it as an excuse to launch a purge of the entire Japanese military high command and civilian bureaucracy that he imagined was conspiring against him. In early July 1968, Admiral Okada was among those who were murdered by the allies of General Ishii in what would later be remembered as the Days of the Butterfly Swords.

After the end of the Fourth Pacific War and the ascent of the Syndicalist regime, the family of Okada Haruka were among those who were exiled by the Japanese Worker’s Republic to the Republic of Ezo.

Last edited:
Is a biography of Marshal Ferdinand Foch, the Supreme Commander of the allied forces during the First World War, possible? I had a scenario in the works with Foch launching a Coup d'etat against the French Government after the defeat of France in said War.

I was also wondering if you have some ideas for an alternate fate for Clarence Potter, preferably one which doesn't involve a painful execution at the hands of the U.S.. Is the idea of Potter running for the C.S. Presidency against a certain General Fulgencio Batista, who runs as a Whig, an interesting one in your mind?

Is a biography of Marshal Ferdinand Foch, the Supreme Commander of the allied forces during the First World War, possible? I had a scenario in the works with Foch launching a Coup d'etat against the French Government after the defeat of France in said War.

I was also wondering if you have some ideas for an alternate fate for Clarence Potter, preferably one which doesn't involve a painful execution at the hands of the U.S.. Is the idea of Potter running for the C.S. Presidency against a certain General Fulgencio Batista, who runs as a Whig, an interesting one in your mind?

Ferdinand Foch was born before the POD of the TL-191 series. His life was generally similar to that of his counterpart from our world until the First Great War. In 1916, Foch was blamed for the failure of a French offensive on the Western Front that was attempted during the Battle of Verdun. He was demoted and transferred to Algeria, where he remained until the end of the war in 1917. Foch resigned from the French military in 1919. He died in Paris in 1930.

-
I think that in order for Clarence Potter to be a plausible political leader of the CSA in the TL-191 series, you would have to change his backstory and the setting of the series to the point where the Freedom Party never comes to power. Potter, from what I remember of the series, seemed to be someone who was more comfortable working behind the scenes in the Confederate government, rather than as someone interested in holding power himself.

Ferdinand Foch was born before the POD of the TL-191 series. His life was generally similar to that of his counterpart from our world until the First Great War. In 1916, Foch was blamed for the failure of a French offensive on the Western Front that was attempted during the Battle of Verdun. He was demoted and transferred to Algeria, where he remained until the end of the war in 1917. Foch resigned from the French military in 1919. He died in Paris in 1930.

-
I think that in order for Clarence Potter to be a plausible political leader of the CSA in the TL-191 series, you would have to change his backstory and the setting of the series to the point where the Freedom Party never comes to power. Potter, from what I remember of the series, seemed to be someone who was more comfortable working behind the scenes in the Confederate government, rather than as someone interested in holding power himself.
I have a few thoughts already regarding how to stop the Freedom Party from coming about [or, at least, be consigned to a footnote in history] already, with a point of divergence during the First Great War.

Featherston could probably stay on in the Army after that conflict, but could become significant later on.

Do you have any thoughts on how the C.S. Supreme Court might have functioned compared to its Federal counterpart?

What's Chile like in 2024?
The maps show Chile owning the Falklands, what are they like under Chilean rule?
Are there equivalents of Augusto Pinochet and Salvador Allende?

In the same vein, how does the Republic of Korea in this timeline compare to OTL South Korea in term of economy, HDI, and soft power. Furthermore, do Chaebols exist ITTL Korea, and if so, are they as influential as they are IOTL?
It wouldn't surprise me if Korean culture was more influenced by Japan in this timeline due to the longer occupation, especially if they tried to Japanonize the Koreans. As for soft power it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of their dramas in this timeline were focused on the Japanese occupation.

I have a few thoughts already regarding how to stop the Freedom Party from coming about [or, at least, be consigned to a footnote in history] already, with a point of divergence during the First Great War.

Featherston could probably stay on in the Army after that conflict, but could become significant later on.

Do you have any thoughts on how the C.S. Supreme Court might have functioned compared to its Federal counterpart?

I haven’t given a lot of thought to how the CSA would have developed in the TL-191 universe without the ascent of the Freedom Party or the Second Great War. I’m not optimistic on the potential alternative outcomes for the CSA, given how Turtledove portrayed the Confederacy during the First Great War and the immediate postwar years.

By 2024, the Republic of Korea is economically prosperous, though its economy is somewhat more austere compared to our world because of lower levels of foreign trade and higher levels of defence spending compared to OTL. Korea did benefit economically from trade and investment from China and the United States in the decades following the end of the Fourth Pacific War.

The HDI of the Republic of Korea is analogous to the HDI of South Korea by 2021 in OTL.

There are businesses in Korea that are analogous to the chaebols from our world, though with higher levels of influence from the government compared to OTL.

By 2024, Korean films and television shows are popular abroad, especially in East Asia. However, nothing analogous to K-pop has yet emerged.

Korea is a staunch military and diplomatic ally of the United States through the Compact of Democratic States. By 2024, the US-CDS military presence in Korea is primarily concerned with the Ecological Union.

What's Chile like in 2024?
The maps show Chile owning the Falklands, what are they like under Chilean rule?
Are there equivalents of Augusto Pinochet and Salvador Allende?

By 2024, the Republic of Chile is one of the most economically prosperous nations in South America. The HDI of Chile by 2024 is analogous to the HDI of Spain by 2021 in OTL. Chile is also somewhat larger territorially compared to our world as a legacy of the First Great War, and also gained the Falkland Islands and South Georgia with US support after the end of the Second Great War. Chile maintains territorial claims in Antarctica that are also supported by the US. The Falklands and South Georgia both have a Chilean military presence.

By 2024, Chile remains a close military and diplomatic ally of the United States through the Compact of Democratic States. After the end of the Second Great War, Chile maintained a large military because of its continuing rivalry with Argentina and wariness of the Empire of Brazil. The diplomatic ties between Chile and Brazil improved after the founding the Council of the Western Hemisphere, though the ties between Chile and Argentina remain cold because of continued border disagreements.

There were no analogous in Chile to Salvador Allende or Augusto Pinochet in TTL. Chile, unlike in our world, did not experience rule by a military dictatorship in the late 20th Century.

Could we get a breakdown of the current monarchs of the rest of the eastern states?I believe what hadn't been covered yet is the Kingdom of Belarus, the Kingdom of Lithuania, the Grand Duchy of Latvia, the Kingdom of Finland and the Grand Duchy of Estonia

Who was the last surviving War of American Secession veteran in TTL? When did that soldier die?

Same with the other North American Wars?

What is the fate of Albert Woolson (last verified American Civil War veteran, died in 1956) and Walter Williams (last claimed American Civil War veteran, died in 1959) in TTL?

Last edited:
Would a counterpart to Henry Ford [or someone similar] exist in this version of the TL 191 universe, and, if so, what would that person be doing?

How would Karl Marx and his philosophy probably be remembered in TL ~ 191 without Stalin, Mao and Lenin forever tarnishing his reputation in the eyes of the West?

Last edited:
Would a counterpart to Henry Ford [or someone similar] exist in this version of the TL 191 universe, and, if so, what would that person be doing?

How would Karl Marx and his philosophy probably be remembered in TL ~ 191 without Stalin, Mao and Lenin forever tarnishing his reputation in the eyes of the West?
If I remember correctly, Ford is mentioned as an American automotive company in the books, as is Chevrolet, so both still exist ITTL. Henry Ford himself was born less than nine months after the POD so a direct analogue of him exists in this world.

Last edited:
I am not sure if this has been asked or covered before, but have you given any though on what the hosts / champions of the FIFA World Cup look like in TTL (and what the reach of FIFA is in TTL).
Same for Olympic hosts and the IOC?