TL-191: After the End

Since anime very likely doesn't emerge, do things like Chinese or Korean animations on things like their own legends, Journey to the West, etc gain more popularity?

Animation in TTL could certainly be described as a global phenomenon, with many different national styles and forms, including in China and Korea by 2021.

One thing to keep in mind is that animation as a whole, around the world, was never viewed as a medium primarily aimed at children. In TTL, by 2021, animation, both 2D and digital, is simply considered another form to adopt for general audiences.

I will throw this out there: what path did the comic book industry take TTL? There were direct references to Superman and his Confederate counterpart, Hyperman, in the Turtledove books so the medium had a similar early history to OTL. With that in mind I thought I would ask what happened to the following companies ITTL.

National Periodical/DC Comics
Timely/Atlas Comics (AKA Marvel)
EC Comics
Fawcett Publications
Quality Comics

Superman does exist, but there are differences to the character to backstory and powers. For one, this version of Superman is somewhat overpowered compared to our world: imagine Kal-El from our world with Bruce Wayne’s level of strategic genius.

In this world, Superman as a popular character went through somewhat of a slump that lasted until the 1970s. The revival of the character’s popularity ironically occurred when the new writer for the character was able to secure rights to the Hyperman character from the US Bureau of Reconciliation and Reunion (which held the copyright for Hyperman following the character being banned by the US military authorities in 1944). Hyperman was reinvented as Superman’s (very Southern) arch nemesis, at a time when American Nihilism was approaching its cultural apogee.

As for other notable US superhero characters, the closest analogue to Wonder Woman in this world was actually inspired by Sylvia Enos taking revenge against Roger Kimball. Imagine a character with Wonder Woman’s super strength, Salina Kyle’s morality, and a Sweeney Todd-level obsession with revenge. This is how you get Scarlet Shrike.

There is also an equivalent to Captain America, down to the fictional character being an Irish-American from a New York working class background, but whose frail physical constitution is reversed by a super-soldier serum. However, imagine a version of Captain America in which the serum is not only not lost, but is applied to other “worthy” soldiers, and where Captain America never vanished, but went on to command the entire US military. That’s how you wind up with General Union, the unstoppable War Machine.

There never was an equivalent to our world’s Batman. There is a popular superhero who’s also also a lone, urban vigilante, but he’s closer to our world’s Rorschach (though without that character’s psychosis). Whatever else Bloodstain is, he is most certainly not a millionaire philanthropist by day.

The comics industry as a whole had a different history as a whole compared to our world. There was never an equivalent to OTL’s 1950s moral scare, which meant there was no real equivalent to the Comics Code Authority. This meant, for example, that there was a greater latitude for writers to include social themes in storylines, including the origins of many villains.

As of 2020, there are more superhero movies analogous to our world’s Joker, Brightburn, Hancock, and Chronicle instead of the MCU.
I asked David a similar question and this is what I got.

So what's a general overview of life in the USA, as well as Germany and other ISC countries? (Btw I mean life for the average citizen in the major countries of TTL.)

I asked David a similar question and this is what I got.
Thanks, I have still yet to read the thread in its entirety (a daunting task) so I appreciate it. I was actually expecting the Wonder Woman equivalent to take more cues from Germanic/Nordic mythology--though have a super-strong female equivalent to the Punisher works as well.

With that in mind I do wonder if there were counterparts to heroes like the Justice Society of America existed TTL, and if there was a similar superhero revival in the late 1950s-early 1960s.

So what's a general overview of life in the USA, as well as Germany and other ISC countries? (Btw I mean life for the average citizen in the major countries of TTL.)

In 2021, the life of the average citizen in each of the great powers has been affected by the Great Housing Crash.

In general, to use the USA as an example, life for the average person depends of course on the economic prosperity of the city or region in question, as well as what kind of job that they have.

Sorry if this was asked already but was Louis XIX forced to abdicate by the Germans or did the French overthrow the monarchy themselves after the war ended?

Sorry if this was asked already but was Louis XIX forced to abdicate by the Germans or did the French overthrow the monarchy themselves after the war ended?
No, that hasn't been asked; but the closest answer to that is that there's a provisional 4th Republic at the beginning of the thread. IMO, I think it's most likely the former.

I will throw this out there: what path did the comic book industry take TTL? There were direct references to Superman and his Confederate counterpart, Hyperman, in the Turtledove books so the medium had a similar early history to OTL. With that in mind I thought I would ask what happened to the following companies ITTL.

National Periodical/DC Comics
Timely/Atlas Comics (AKA Marvel)
EC Comics
Fawcett Publications
Quality Comics

The analogue to DC Comics in TTL is National Comics. In 2021, National Comics holds the rights to the characters Superman, Hyperman, and Scarlet Shrike.

The analogue to Marvel in TTL is Atlas Comics. In 2021, Atlas Comics holds the rights to the character General Union, the Unstoppable War Machine. Atlas Comics also holds the rights to the character Bloodstain, after buying out the independent comic/magazine publishing company Zenith.

EC Comics, Fawcett Publications, and Quality Comics did not exist in TTL. However, there were a range of US comics publishing houses during the Second Great War era that published everything from science fiction to Westerns to mysteries to superhero comic lines.

Last edited:

For the purposes of TTL, it was the French who removed the monarchy and established a Fourth Republic after the end of the Second Great War.

The Germans never would have allowed that dynasty to continue to rule, and make their position clear to the French delegation during initial ceasefire talks.

How are the superbombings remembered in the various nations that were hit? Do the British and French have attitudes toward superbombs like OTL Japan toward nukes?

The superbombings that ended the Second Great War are remembered with horror in all countries that were hit.

The postwar attitudes in France and the United Kingdom towards superbombs are analogous to attitudes in OTL post-WWII Japan towards nuclear weapons.

David, if you were to write a character-pov version of TTL kicking off in 1945, where would you set the characters?

It depends. A Turtledove-style sequel story based on TTL set immediately after the end of the Second Great War could, for instance, use Cassius Madison, Armstrong Grimes, Flora Blackford, and Irving Morrell as POV characters.

A Turtledove-style story set a generation later in TTL, during the time of the Fourth Pacific War, could use Cassius Madison, Karen Driver, Armstrong Grimes, Mildred Morrell-Quigley, and Morgan Reynolds as POV characters.

What became of:

W. T. Cosgrave
Agatha Christie
Enoch Powell
Matthias Sindler
Charles Lightoller
Benjamin Gimbert
James Nightall
George Ivatt
Leo Amery

Have the any of the home nations won a tournament? And is Cricket as prominent as OTL?

In TTL, cricket is primarily popular in Bharat, the United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand. By 2021, Bharat is the center of the cricket world.

Which tournament were you referring to?