These Fair Shores: The Commonwealth of New England

hAPx5Sj.png
I'm sure it's completely logical, just curious, what made you change the OTL date format (mmddyy) to ddmmyy/ yymmdd?

so like South Africa's Bantustans OTL
Not quite. The bantustans were a fiction, created by a settler state elite in a bargain with corrupt collaborators. The independent political entities of North America were not spun-off as a facade of racial harmony, but are the original independent indigenous societies that staved off the onslaught from encroaching Whites by tooth, sword, spear, and rifle. They were ultimately compelled to come to an agreement with the United States in exchange for peace, and now have to rely on Cincinnati as a benefactor as no other country recognizes them, but at the end of the day these are separate nations.
I'm sure it's completely logical, just curious, what made you change the OTL date format (mmddyy) to ddmmyy/ yymmdd?
To be clear, I am not the author of the timeline, just one of the developers and a liaison with ah.com
All credit goes to Ashley, known here as @CosmicAsh, as well as other contributors and developers on our team.

France’s population is quite a bit larger than IOTL. Is this due to migration? Less of a demographic slump in the 19th century?
I presume being a (former) leading global power rivaling the British Empire does things to a country.
I'd ask the same about the baltics
looks like the estonian population is around 3 times higher than OTL
Estonia didn't have 50 years of Soviet occupation and a resulting post-Soviet era population drop to deal with ITTL.

The Republic of Louisiana was going really swell until Napoleon deserted the cause taking his Imperial Guard with him, and combined with anemic British support the cause collapsed fairly quickly. Louisiana was de-recognized in the later Treaty of Lisbon with the United States. Texan independence never really got any steam and collapsed even quicker then Louisiana.

This is the correct answer. The movements pretty much petered out and died once they were seen as being "Pro-British" in a sense.

Maybe this is just me coping, but I don't think the flooding would be that bad unless parts of Iraq and Vietnam suddenly started subsiding. Plus Micronesia and Tuvalu miraculously appear to be intact.

Source data that I've found seemed to indicate that this is what would happen. I'd be more than happy to cite this. I believe it was a US Government website.

Great map - especially interested in the Italian states, given some earlier tidbits about (northern) Italy being conservative to a frightening degree; Corsica/Sardinia would be interesting, too.

Thank you! After this current Americas pivot, we will be turning to a more general pivot. I expect content on Africa and Europe to dominate 2024.

France’s population is quite a bit larger than IOTL. Is this due to migration? Less of a demographic slump in the 19th century?

Less migration out, no demographic slump, and a return of Frenchmen from other European countries (Prussia, Italy, ect) once the GCW ended.

I'd ask the same about the baltics
looks like the estonian population is around 3 times higher than OTL

No Soviet occupation, peaceful independence in the 1940s, robust demographic growth, economic development, support from international trade. A whole host of reasons.

So now Hamilton is not the name of the capital but of the federal district ?

Cincinnati has always been Cincinnati. The city name has been unchanged, and Hamilton has always been the federal district (incidentally, it's from Hamilton County, itself a homage to Alexander Hamilton). The name was never changed.

so like South Africa's Bantustans OTL

Not at all. Bantustans didn't really exist and were forced there by the government. IPEs and other indigenous entities have absolute legal, political, and economic control over their domains. There's no U.S. Government official breathing down their neck or making decisions for them. They are only bound to the United States by shared national defence, and the fact that they consider themselves to be "American" as well. If it weren't for the defence aspect, the shared economic aspects, and foreign recognition of these entities, they would be independent on the map.

The United States adopted it along with the metric system at the same time. This United States was much closer with revolutionary France and the later French Empire, so adopting the "French rules" of time and measurements and weights was a logical step to remove itself from the Imperial units the British use (to this day!)

by the way, why these Native States did non have foreign recognition?
They've never sought it out. There's no need for them to engage in international diplomacy, or international commerce. Their territories are split up in many instances, and their people aren't monoethnically indigenous. They consider themselves American, they are autonomous to the highest degree, have a collective security pact, access to free movement, and a special status to govern themselves how they see fit. There's no reason for them to engage with it.

Canada, the closest to all of them, has no interest in recognising the sovereignty of the indigenous people because of their own internal problems. Russia isn't going to care too much about a landlocked indigenous country on the great plains. Dinetah has no real need to do anything about it, they are left alone and that's what matters. California further has no need to engage in any official diplomacy, they can do everything they need to do with a couple letters and a phone call with the officials on the other side of the border. If they wanted, it's pretty likely they'd be able to get full independence, but still remain in an economic and defensive union with the United States. Which would achieve... not much of anything except a use of time and valuable resources.

Less migration out, no demographic slump, and a return of Frenchmen from other European countries (Prussia, Italy, ect) once the GCW ended.
How was the demographic slump avoided? I know it happened IOTL but I'm unsure as to why it happened (and IIRC there's no real consensus between historians, don't quote me on that though) and I'm interested in hearing your interpretation as to why said slump occurred

Also, how are the Armenians doing? Seeing as they do not seem to have a state of their own