The Wrong Path: An Alternate History Timeline

Hello, all, and welcome to my first ever alternate history thread!

...Yay.

You can practically tell how excited I am.

I'll tell the prologue of the story in the next post, but for now, I'm going to discuss the premise of this story. In it, Thomas Jefferson, who served in the Second Continental Congress, became separated from the rest of the Congress as they fled Philadelphia and escaped to Baltimore to avoid the British invasion force taking the city, and subsequently ended up at George Washington's army's encampment.

This thread will try to answer that question, or at least, my interpretation of the answer. So, let's embark on what I can only assume to be something that will get extremely confusing halfway through and have a lackluster ending!

How entertainment was meant to be made!

Prologue: The Part Before The First Part
As the man rode across the fading path in what could arguably be a morning with weather that reflected the man's mood, he could only repeat one thought through his head: Why didn't I stick closer to the main group?

It should have been simple: they had made it out of Philadelphia with more than enough time to get ahead of British General William Howe's forces before they entered the city. From there, they would just continue travelling until they reached the city of Baltimore, and would wait out the occupation forces so that they could return to Philadelphia once more unopposed.

At least, that was the plan. But if the war had taught the solitary lone figure now riding across what he was certain was the wrong path anything, it was that life frankly couldn't care less about plans. And so, that was how it was, the figure riding through the brisk morning, switching his thoughts between either how he will ever find the path again, then to what might be awaiting him upon the path, and then back to the former, stuck between a competition engulfing these two thoughts, like two drunken brawlers trading blows, never letting up, and never surrendering, each so intoxicated that either neither noticed the blows being swung, or were far too drunk to care.

It was in this state of imbalance that had engulfed him so much, that he had become oblivious to his surroundings, letting his trusty steed guide him across the unfamiliar terrain. It was probably why he was so shocked from the sudden gunshot that he fell off his horse. "No, wait! Come Back!" The man screamed at his horse as it galloped away in terror, although to be truthful he probably should have been far more concerned about the gunshot than his mode of transportation. He was so concerned about the horse, in fact, that he completely forgot about the gunshot until his horse was far away from his reach, and a voice called out to him, causing him to jump once more.

"Friend or foe?" the voice called out.

"That depends on who's asking," the man replied.

"Reuben Compton," replied the voice again with the hint of a squeaky undertone to it, causing the man to believe him to be no more older than 16. "Private in the Continental Army serving under General Washington."

"General Washington?" the man whispered under his breath with astonishment. I must be farther from the road to Baltimore than I realized, he thought.

"Now, who are you?" Private Compton's voice asked again, breaking the man's train of thought.

"Thomas Jefferson," the man replied, "Delegate to the Continental Congress."

"Thomas Jefferson?" Private Compton said, and as the words lingered in the air, he came into view, holding his rifle by his side. "I thought you were supposed to be in Philadelphia?"

"The city was taken by the British." Compton's face twisted into a mixed expression of anger and concern at the sound of that. Jefferson ignored the change in facial features, and continued with, "We made it out before they entered it, and were heading to Baltimore, but I got separated along the way. Truth be told, for the last day, I hadn't a clue where I was heading."

For what Jefferson guessed was ten seconds of time, Private Compton remained silent, staring down, clearly thinking of what to do next. Suddenly, like being rudely awakened from a sleep-like trance, he looked up with a look of certainty, and stated that General Washington would like to hear of this. Thus, Private Compton, who, in all honesty, felt an immense of responsibility weigh in on his shoulders, led Thomas Jefferson to the main encampment of the Continental Army, to where he knew General Washington was most likely to be found. Before long, they reached the main encampment, and began to pass fellow soldiers attending to their duties for the day. Some looked up, and recognizing Thomas Jefferson, put on a look of surprise and watched as the two men passed; others feigned ignorance, and upon gazing at the passing duo, looked back down and continued their work, not realizing the man that they had in their presence; most didn't even bother to look up, instead opting to continue with their work, and not trouble themselves with the affairs of others.

"How ghastly," Compton heard Jefferson whisper under his breath, and followed his gaze to the infirmary, where men were being treated for many a wound sustained from battle just two weeks earlier at Brandywine.

At a loss for words, Compton just muttered, "Well, that's war for you," and continued along his way towards what he suspected to be the area where General Washington was. Meanwhile, Jefferson was left speechless towards Private Compton's dismissal of the anguish the men at the infirmary were certainly experiencing, if their ghostly moans were any indication towards their current state of distress. When we finish this war, Jefferson thought, we won't let our nation become as corrupt to the point of allowing this to happen. I'll make sure of that.

At long last, the figure of George Washington could be seen discussing matters with another, equally imposing figure, whom Private Compton immediately recognized as Benedict Arnold. As they walked toward General Washington, Jefferson could hear him tell Arnold, "And be sure that the men get adequate food for tonight."

"But we're low on supply as it is-" Arnold began before being cut off by Washington. "Well then, make do."

While Washington said this in a calm and poised manner, his facial expression showed that of a different story, and as such, Arnold learned to quickly shut up and carry out the orders, albeit not without some outward anger. With the matter finished, Washington turned his attention to the sound of men approaching him.

"General Washington, sir," Compton said. "I found this man travelling by himself on horseback."

Washington was about to speak, when he was stopped before any sounds had the opportunity to escape his mouth. "Well, I'll be..." Washington said, cutting himself off. "Thomas Jefferson!"

"Hello, General!" Jefferson said in a cheery mood. "Seems like fate decrees we meet again."

"That it does, my friend. Although, I wish it was under better circumstances. Currently, I am busy. You should be too," Washington said, coming to a sudden realization. "Shouldn't you be in Philadelphia?"

And so, Jefferson regaled Washington with his tale of everything that had transpired withing the last day.

After Jefferson finished his rather lengthy story, Washington thought for a split second before responding. "Mmm," was all he said, beforecontinuing with, "Well, I could probably provide you with a horse in a few days, no more than a week. Would you be open to that?"

Jefferson was about to respond that he'd be willing to wait out that time, but then suddenly stopped himself, as he remembered the men that were suffering from the infirmary, some of whom could still be audible when their pain acted up, even from this distance. He remembered how all of those men were suffering at great lengths for their army, fighting for the nation and bleeding, sometimes dying, for the belief of the nation and its ideals. Meanwhile, where was he? He was sitting in a comfortable chair, drinking delicious tea and smoking herbal medicines, and having elegant discussions with fellow philosophers and diplomats, at the same time as other men were dying and suffering on the battlefield. Jefferson mulled this over in his head, and thought for what seemed to him like a long time, but what was in reality was only a few seconds. And so, Jefferson felt confident in the next words that he spoke.

"No, I won't be open to that." Washington looked surprise, and before he could speak, Jefferson stopped him, "Because I will not be heading to Baltimore."

Washington showed surprise. "Oh?" he remarked. "And why is that?"

"Because I will be joining the army," Jefferson said. "And I hope that I'll be allowed to work under you, General."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you all for reading the prologue of my alternate history. Before I continue, I would like to state that this series will play on the butterfly effect. I'm not saying that because a mosquito bit a random homeless man, Hitler won World War II, but I will use the butterfly effect to a sensible and logical direction. Also, I will post once every week on every Sunday, and will respond to comments every day. I will appreciate any and all feedback given, and will enjoy interacting with you all.

Hope you have fun!

Vuu

Banned
Ominous name? Check
Americans? Check

This gunna be a What Madness Is This 2: Electric Boogaloo, no?

Well, this certainly holds promise! If Jefferson dies in battle, then the future of the US hangs in the balance, seemingly able to change in a moment’s notice. If Jefferson survives and becomes a veteran, he might become more Federalist, haunted by the suffering of his fellow soldiers and seeing how Congress fails to give ample supplies.

All in all, great start! Please continue in all earnest!

Well, this certainly holds promise! If Jefferson dies in battle, then the future of the US hangs in the balance, seemingly able to change in a moment’s notice. If Jefferson survives and becomes a veteran, he might become more Federalist, haunted by the suffering of his fellow soldiers and seeing how Congress fails to give ample supplies.

All in all, great start! Please continue in all earnest!
I'm glad you agree! It's going to be fun to see what you guys think about the story I'm creating! Also, I want you to know how hard I'm currently trying not to spoil anything right now in this post :).

Chapter 1: Losing Your Grip
When Thomas Jefferson entered the United States Continental Army in the winter of 1776, he saw first hand the destruction that the British Army was capable of inflicting on the US Military. He was, to put it bluntly, shocked at the amount of men that were suffering for a war that could mean the life or death of many important figures in America, including that of Jefferson himself. Furthermore, he was not only appalled, but angered at the lack of adequate supplies and funding that the Continental Congress was giving to the Army. As an aide to Jefferson recalled, "He watched with fiery eyes and a face set in the figure of Death itself whenever he was near the infirmary ... It got worse after every battle. Many of us were often scared to go near him when he was in that state."

As such, it is often said that Jefferson fought vigorously when it came to procuring funding for the Continental Army, and at times even beat General Washington in how stubborn he was when dealing with detractors in the Continental Congress who argued for funds to go to other tasks that they felt more important. Among these detractors, John Adams quickly became the leader of the group, and Jefferson came to greatly resent having to work with the man, going so far as to say "Adams is an idiotic, self-absorbed man who would not know what end of the rifle the gunpowder left." Despite opposition in the Continental Congress, Jefferson often won many supporters to his cause, garnering respect among both his men and the delegates to the Congress for his refusal to resolve on any measure involving adequate funding being sent to the Army, earning him the nickname "Tough Tom". This fiery nature in his procuring for funding impressed Washington so much that by the time the War of Independence had ended, Jefferson had been promoted to colonel, and had become a trusted adviser and close friend of George Washington.

Jefferson served all across the United States, first getting his real taste of war after George Washington decided to cross the Delaware and engage the British at the Battles of Trenton and Princeton. Only a captain at the time, Jefferson was only briefed about the plans at the last minute, and though he was irritated at not being informed sooner, he understood why he was not a part of the plan and instead focused on getting his men ready. At the Battle of Trenton Jefferson served with his men at the front line alongside Washington , leading the charge against the Hessian militia, and later doing the same at the Battle of Princeton against the British. Both of these actions gained respect from both the generals serving alongside Washington, Washington himself, and the men who served under Jefferson. After the battles, Jefferson was invited to help engage in the planning for the army's actions and movements, and remained a trusted adviser for the duration of war.

Despite attempts by members of the Congress to convince Jefferson to return to Philadelphia after the British abandoned the city in pursuit of Washington and the Continental Army, he refused, famously stating, "As long as this war continues, and the men fighting for our liberty continue to suffer for our cause while we refused to repay their kindness with the most basic of rations, I will remain here, recording the atrocities I witness, and fighting for their cause." And fight Jefferson did. When Philadelphia was lost again to the British in September of 1777 and Washington set up camp at Valley Forge to repel the effects of winter, Jefferson was appalled at the lack of adequate supplies sent to the Army, and thus ruthlessly attacked the members of Congress, calling them "Cowards and traitors who do not understand what it means to win a war." While such statements angered Adams and his followers, they were successful in directing attention to the upkeep of the army, and caused Congress to divert its attention to establishing a consistent supply line to Valley Forge and supplying some winter clothing to the soldiers stationed there. While casualties were still high, being estimated at around 1,500 men who perished as a result of the conditions at the encampment, Jefferson was hailed as a hero for fighting for the soldiers' cause.

The Continental Army continued to fight, with Jefferson gaining more and more praise for his actions, and by the time Washington had moved his army to Morristown, New Jersey, to lodge the men during the winter of 1779, Jefferson had been promoted to the position of Colonel in the Continental Army. Shortly after this, Washington and his advisers had discovered the shocking revelation that Benedict Arnold, who was a General in the Continental Army, had been supplying the British with information on the Army's movements, strength, and supplies. Arnold was upset with the Continental Congress' refusal to supply him and his army with supplies and funds, and became infuriated when he discovered that the Congress was supplying Washington's army with funds and supplies thanks to the efforts of Jefferson while at the same time refusing to supply his army with anything to aid them in battle. After this, and reports that Congress was in the process of negotiating the French to join the war on the side of the American Revolutionaries, Arnold decided to begin supplying the British with information about the Continental Army in return for both funds for his army and funds for his personal life.

Upon this revelation, the members of Washington's aides and advisers unanimously decided to attempt to apprehend Arnold. However, he had managed to escape, and Washington could only manage to capture his co-conspirator, Major John Andre. While Washington wanted him to be court-martialed and hanged, Jefferson instead advocated to attempt to use him as a means to an end, that is, as a way to get to Arnold. Jefferson proposed offering Major Andre an opportunity to avoid being executed for espionage, and instead suggested offering only life imprisonment for his crimes in return for disclosing the location of Arnold. While Washington was reluctant to the idea of letting a traitor escape with an easy punishment, he realized the intelligence behind this maneuver, and so after some convincing by Jefferson and his supporters, Washington agreed to the plan. Major Andre, however, was reluctant to betray his close friend, Benedict Arnold, and so initially refused to disclose any information. However, after being reminded of the alternatives that were available to him in place of revealing Arnold's hiding place, Andre, fearful of the punishment he might endure, agreed to disclose this information, and as a result, Benedict Arnold was captured on September 22nd, 1780, and was swiftly found guilty of treason and executed by hanging on December 1st, 1780, his last words being, "I die a traitor, my greatest regret." Andre, in turn, spent the rest of his life in prison, before dying of dysentery on October 2nd, 1800, his last words being, "May God forgive me, for Benedict will not." For their actions in apprehending Arnold, both Washington and Jefferson gained praise across the country, and were each awarded a hastily-created medal by the Continental Congress for their actions.

After Arnold's execution, Jefferson accompanied Washington to Yorktown to engage in the last major British army stationed in the city, led by Charles Cornwallis. Jefferson was ecstatic to finally see and end to this British force, for not only will it mean a final end to the war, but it will also mean that his men will no longer have to suffer through the supply shortages and diseases that clung in almost every encampment of the Continental Army. The battle started on September 28th, 1781, with George Washington and Comte de Rochambeau leading the Continental Army and the French Expeditionary Force, respectively, while a French fleet blockaded the British from escaping the town by sea. After preparations were made, the two armies began to bombard the trench positions established by the British just outside of the city. While both Washington and de Rochambeau wanted to bombard the city itself, Jefferson argued profusely against this, declaring that there will be no citizens put at risk while the city was prevented from gathering supplies in the first place. His passionate and fiery arguments and rhetoric was later reflected on by de Rochambeau, who reminisced, "Jefferson was perhaps the single most honorable and passionate man serving in the entirety of the Continental Army. This alone earned him my respect in the first days of the siege." Although both generals knew that doing so will prolong the siege, they were eventually won over by Jefferson, and agreed to not allow a single cannon shot to purposefully hit the city.

Thus, on October 10th, the bombardment on the British positions began, and continued well into the early hours of the morning the next day. The siege lasted for the entirety of the month, as Cornwallis attempted to hold out and escape via sea, only to be stopped by the French fleet blockading the town. Although the British trenches were weakened tremendously by the bombardments, the city remained largely unscathed, and as such, Cornwallis believed that he could hold out until a British fleet arrived that was able to beat out the French fleet. However, no fleet came, and as the end of October drew near, Cornwallis became informed that the city was beginning to run out of supplies while at the same time the British trenches were taking the worst bombardments yet felt in the siege. After converging with his military advisers, Cornwallis realized that the battle was lost, and on October 29th, he sent out an envoy to discuss the prospect of surrender with George Washington. Washington accepted the surrender, and October 31st, 1781, the bombardment stopped, and Cornwallis left the city to surrender his army to Washington, deciding to personally do so as a symbolic gesture of recognizing the refusal of the Continental Army to bombard the city itself.

After the defeat of Cornwallis at Yorktown, the British Parliament decided that the war against the United States was lost, and as such, entered negotiations. Jefferson resigned as a colonel in the Continental Army in order to aid the Continental Congress in negotiations with the British. It was not until September 3rd, 1783, that the Treaty of Paris was formally signed, bringing an end to the American War of Independence, that the Continental Army under George Washington disbanded, and General George resigned his position as General of the Continental Army.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so, this update on the story has come to an end. I'd like to apologize for not posting an update yesterday, as I'm in the process of moving and packing up took longer than what I expected. Because of this, I have decided to post weekly updates of the story every Saturday instead, so that if I can not post anything, I'll have Sunday to fall back on. Also, feel free to discuss how you thought the story would have gone, as I'm curious to hear different possible deviations than what I went for. For now, I'll see you all next Saturday!

Last edited:
I like this--a very different take on the American revolution. One minor nit: Major Andre could not be charged or executed for treason, as he is not a citizen, but a British soldier. He could be, and historically was, executed for espionage.
This flows well--looking forward to seeing where you take it. A great first timeline!

Interesting... War will definitely change his view on politics, especially on the power of the government. Will he team up with a certain fellow veteran who refuses to throw away his shot?

I like this--a very different take on the American revolution. One minor nit: Major Andre could not be charged or executed for treason, as he is not a citizen, but a British soldier. He could be, and historically was, executed for espionage.
This flows well--looking forward to seeing where you take it. A great first timeline!
Whoops, sorry! Fixed it.

Chapter 2: A Brave New World
Upon the signing of the Treaty of Paris in 1783, celebrations across the Thirteen Colonies broke out once word reached the New World of the negotiation's success. The eight long years of pain and suffering, of loss and grief, of blood, sweat, and tears, had proven to be worth the end result. Now, after a rather long and tumultuous war that saw over 160,000 casualties on both sides, the war had officially ended, and the Colonies have gained the right to their independence and the ability to now experience an era of freedom and safety. Truly, the United States of America was a resounding success.

Now that the war was over, the Articles of Confederation, which was a document approved by all thirteen states as a means to govern the United States during the War of Independence, were officially adapted and implemented as a way to govern the newly formed nation. Although many had high hopes for the Continental Congress, the Articles of Confederation soon dashed those hopes. Because of the Articles, the Federal Government had no real power. The nation had no standing national military, no way to levy taxes on the states for the government, and no way for the Federal government's laws to have any effect on the states and the people. States had their militia, which were ineffective even by themselves, and each had their own tariffs that were constantly adjusted and dismantled in order to compete with one another. The nation was, in many ways, at war with itself, and could not survive for much longer in the current state.

The problems with the new nation came to a head in 1786, when a disgruntled war veteran named Daniel Shays, tired of the economic policies being issued by the merchants and tax collectors of Massachusetts, began to lead a rebellion against the government of the state. The rebellion quickly enveloped the rural portions of Massachusetts, and subsequently also began to spread to the more urban portions of the state. Although the unrest was quickly subdued within the year, it characterized and brought to attention the many problems that the Articles of Confederation had. Thus, a number of prominent politicians, chief among them being Alexander Hamilton, called for a Constitutional Convention to be held in order to amend the Articles of Confederation. Soon, the delegates of the Continental Congress responded, and from May 25th to September 17th, the Constitutional Convention occurred in Philadelphia in an attempt to recognize and act on the problems and faults of the Articles of Confederation.

Within the first week of the Convention, nearly all of the delegates decided that instead of amending the Articles of Confederation, they should rescind the Articles and replace them with a new legal body that would dictate the structure of the Federal Government. Almost immediately, the Virginia delegation, in part to arriving before the other delegations of different states, wrote a draft of the proposed Constitution, which became known as the Virginia Plan. The main proponent of the plan was James Madison, who drafted most of the proposal. The plan called for the separation of the Federal government into three separate branches: the Executive Branch, the Legislative Branch, and the Judicial Branch, and also proposed to split the Legislative Branch into a bicameral legislature. While the original Virginia Plan called for the split to resemble that of an upper and lower house system, the Virginia delegation eventually conceded, and agreed upon the Connecticut Compromise, where one legislative body would allow a uniform amount of delegates allowed for each state (the Senate), while another would modify the delegates allowed for each state based on the population of each state (House of Representatives). While Thomas Jefferson initially wanted more restrictions on the Executive Branch than what was alluded to in the plan, he conceded and decided to completely support the proposed structure of the Federal government.

George Washington, who was convinced to accompany the Virginia delegation to the Congress, was unanimously elected to become the Congress' president, and came to hold much sway over the Congress' actions. This proved especially useful for the supporters of the Virginia Plan, as Washington was a strong supporter of the proposed legislation and would often speak in favor of it. He was often said to speak out for the legislation, even when the other propositions for the Federal structure were presenting, and would often compare the other potential plans to the Virginia Plan. In James Madison's diary, he wrote later on in life upon hearing of Washington's death that "He was a tremendous help to us during the meetings of the Convention. If it weren't for him, we [the Convention] would have taken many more long and cumbersome months to argue and criticize the different plans that we each proposed." While there were many who adamantly opposed the proposed legislation, eventually all of the delegates came to be swayed over to Washington's support, and as a result, after nearly four months of debating between the delegates, and concessions between the different delegations, the Virginia Plan was unanimously passed and implemented as the United States Constitution. Later on, the first ten amendments to the Constitution, which became known as the Bill of Rights, were added in order to address the concerns of the Anti-Federalists, and were ratified in 1791.

After the debate ceased, and the Convention disbanded, it was decided to hold the first national election of the United States. When it was discussed over who would run for such an important position, a number of delegates came forward and attempted to elevate themselves above the others, the chief one being John Adams. However, many favored George Washington, citing his strong behavior in the Convention, and his honor that had one over many of his peers. Thus, after intense lobbying, George Washington agreed to run for the position of President of the United States. Due to his high popularity and string of successes in the War of Independence, George Washington was unanimously elected as president of the United States during the winter of 1788-1789.
1789_large.png

Credit to the website 270towin.com for the image.

Washington- 69
Others-35
John Adams-34

Washington immediately began to assemble his cabinet. Because John Adams earned the second-highest electoral votes, with a total of 34 votes, he became vice-president under George Washington. For the position of Secretary of State, Washington had a number of options, and while John Jay was a prominent politician whom Adams expressed support for, Washington decided to offer the position to his old adviser and close friend, Thomas Jefferson, but not without some opposition from Adams. For the position of Secretary of the Treasury, he decided to hand over the position to Alexander Hamilton. He allowed Henry Knox to retain his position as the Secretary of War, and gave the position of Attorney General to Edmund Randolph. With his cabinet established, Washington could now oversee the United States of America as the First President of the United States.

Half of 1789 passed by uneventfully, and many events were not noteworthy. The first major decision facing Washington was the Tariff Act of 1789, which would establish tariffs as the main way for the Federal Government to receive funding. Being a supporter of the act, Washington signed it into law shortly after it passed Congress. Shortly thereafter, in September, Washington had made his choices for the chief justices of the judicial branch of the Federal Government. Washington offered the position of Chief Justice to John Jay; Jay, desiring a position on the Supreme Court, eagerly accepted. For the positions of Associate Justices, Washington would later nominate John Rutledge, William Cushing, James Wilson, John Blair, and James Irdell. By 1790, all had been sworn in to serve on the Supreme Court.

Later in 1790, Washington would witness the Compromise of 1790, which was established between the Northern and Southern delegates as a compromise on many issues, such as the United States' capital, its economic policy, and other things that were opposed by either the North or the South. Washington expressed support for the establishment of the capital on the Potomac River prior to the Compromise being created, and, as such, the Residence Act of 1790 established the United States Capitol as being on the Potomac River, and gave Washington the power of determining where the permanent seat of government would be. Washington visited the site for the Capitol in January of 1791, and announced his decision on January 24th.

Another important part of the Compromise of 1790 would be the method of acquiring funding for the Federal government and paying off the debt of the United States accumulated during the War of Independence. Washington supported Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton's plan, which came to be referred to as the Hamiltonian Economic Program, and wished to see it implemented. Despite his support for the system, however, Washington refused to campaign for the program, believing that he would be extending his powers as president if he did, and as such, held his tongue on the issue. The economic plan eventually passed when Hamilton agreed to the Compromise of 1790, which greatly pleased Washington.

Later, in response to the Whiskey Act, which increased taxes on whiskey production and ingredients, the Whiskey Rebellion sprung up across West Pennsylvania, and began to wreak havoc across that section of the state. In response, Washington ordered the militias of Pennsylvania, Virginia, and several other states to band together to combat the growing rebellion. The militias soon formed a force of roughly 12,000 men, and Washington took control of the army and rode out to end the insurrection. Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton and Secretary of State Thomas Jefferson, who both served under Washington during the American War of Independence, rode out with Washington in order to quell the rebellion, and they all met in Harrisburg where the army was being assembled. Afterwards, the army marched out to where the rebel force was gathered, and managed to crush the uprising in a decisive blow.

Thomas Jefferson advocated for a more lenient approach in regards to the rebellion, asking for only the leaders of the uprising to be punished and for the soldiers to be given pardons, while Alexander Hamilton advocated for a harsh punishment regarding all those that had participated in the act. While Washington greatly respected Hamilton and the positions that he took, he instead sided with Jefferson, agreeing to only punish the leaders of the rebellion and not those that served in the rebel army. While this incited some opposition from Hamilton, Washington would not be dismayed, and issued a pardon of the rebellion members who were not prominent leaders of the insurgency.

The end of the rebellion greatly increased Washington's approval rating, and showed to many that the Federal Laws were the laws of the land, and that the United States government would not allow military dissidence of any sort when it came to the laws that it passed. Many people were also happy with the leniency that was shown to the members of the rebellion, and interpreted it as the United States recognizing the concerns of the farmers, and subsequently the common man. As a result, any doubt still besieging this new form of the Federal government had largely disappeared within a relatively short amount of time. Recognizing the success that was putting down the Whiskey Rebellion, and growing accustomed to the life of the presidency, George Washington decided to run for a second-term, writing letters to his Cabinet members informing them of his decision.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thomas Jefferson continued to stare down at the piece of paper that was sitting on his desk. He must have bore the appearance of an eerie shadow-like figure, barely moving, elbows on the table, hands holding one another, positioned by his mouth, and a face of anger and rage, only twitching just for a moment, like he was reacting to an argument that only he could see and hear. He scarcely moved, and were it not for his methodical blinking and the slow, rhythmic rising and falling of his chest as he breathed, one would have easily mistaken him for a statue bearing a strikingly-similar appearance to that of a man. It was now three in the morning. Jefferson had been sitting there for a good three hours at this point. He had yet to move; he hadn't even allowed his eyes to wander from the paper.

Off in the distance of the building that was temporarily housing the Department of State, Jefferson heard a sort of klack-klack sound that resembled a man running. This didn't worry Jefferson. He had a strong guess as to who it would be. After five seconds of this sound repeating on an endless loop, like the disc of a record player that was continuously stuck on one specific part of a song, Jefferson heard a knock on his office door. Standing up in a silent manner, the only sound made being that of the chair pushed back to make room for his lift into the air, Jefferson walked to the door and opened it. Standing in front of the doorway was James Madison, wearing an odd combination of a simple undershirt and a coat, neither of which matched in color. He was panting, standing upright in a dignified manner, as if he was trying to have some form of composure remain, arms straight and hands down to his waist, and a pigment of pink spread out across his face.

"Thomas!" Madison cried at once, a look of concern on his face. "My God, you look terrible! Have you slept?"

"Worry about that later, James," Jefferson said roughly, turning back to his desk as he spoke. He didn't mean for it to out in a way that expressed irritation, but, frankly, he was far past that. He didn't have time for his friends' well-justified concerns, even if he could feel his body on the verge of shutting down. This was far too important to allow for that.

"Well," Madison said, hesitating as he spotted a half-empty bottle of brandy sitting on Jefferson's desk, "What has you so concerned? Surely, it must be something important."

Jefferson walked to his desk, and grabbing the paper and the brandy at the same time, walked back to Madison and gave him the letter. "Read this," he said.

Madison's eyes began to quickly scan the letter as Jefferson turned once more and leaned forward on his desk. Madison began to read faster and faster, a look of concern sprouting on his face. After half a minute has passed, Madison lowered the letter and looked at Jefferson. "It might not be that bad, Tom," Madison said carefully, like he was negotiating with a man pointing a gun at his head.

Immediately, Jefferson threw the bottle of brandy to the floor. It shattered as he turned towards Madison, anger in his eyes, sweat pouring down his face, the color of which had turned to a sharp red within seconds. Any composure left inside of him had vanished in an instant.

"HOW COULD IT NOT BE ANY WORSE!!!" Jefferson shrieked at an octave that was borderline ear-splitting. Madison flinched as Jefferson screamed this. "Does he not realize what he's doing?!" Jefferson yelled once more, lowering his voice by a margin, though not a substantially big one. "Does he not realize what this will spawn!? What monsters this would inevitably create?! What atrocities this would certainly orchestrate!?"

Madison could see that Jefferson was on the verge of tears. Almost at once, a mix of concern and fear began to wage a mighty war in Madison, striking one-another like two giant waves, equal in all danger and destruction imaginable, before mixing into what can only be described accurately as an empathetic terror.

"You're overreacting," Madison said, being cautious with the words he chose. "President Washington would have good reasoning to do this. And besides, it's not like he would abuse the system-"

"Yes, but someone else will!" Jefferson cut Madison short, now using a voice of despair and hopelessness. He began to slouch and looked as if he was about to faint. Madison, concerned, rushed to his friend's side and helped him back into his chair. Jefferson looked the part of a broken man; he played the part of one, too.

Jefferson took some time to regain his composure before uttering, sadness and shame in his voice, but for what Madison could not tell, "There will always be a man who will abuse his power. We saw it in the war; King George had sent us through hell and back just so he could get a few extra pounds in his pathetic purse."

Tears were now visibly falling down Jefferson's face. Madison positioned himself to sit on the desk, placing a hand on Jefferson's shoulder at the same time. Jefferson looked up at his friend, a look of hope, for something, anything, placed on his grief-stricken face. "You could attempt to convince Washington otherwise-"

"No, I can't." Jefferson said, sounding and feeling tired. "The damned fool would never listen to me; certainly not when I'm stuck in this state."

Madison saw that his friend needed comfort, something that would help him out of his depressed phase, but he either couldn't come up with anything or the words refused to leave his mouth. He knew Jefferson needed a slimmer of hope to reach his depressed heart, but he couldn't think of anything that would give him that. Hell, even he was beginning to feel the same anguish that Jefferson was going through. He tried to speak, but his throat became tight and hoarse; the words were now stuck in his throat, trying to jam themselves out all at once. The feeling was beginning to suffocate him, although he could still easily breathe if he truly wanted to. After five minutes in this state, he resigned himself to stare down at the floor, woe taking over his features, forcing his back to slowly arch and his shoulders to slowly raise themselves.

They stayed like that for a good half an hour, both wanting to speak but neither one daring to break the silence. Finally, after spending the time staring at an empty space in the room, still beholding a look of despair on his face, but now mixing into the features a look of purpose, Jefferson broke the silence, his voice close to being a simple mutter, still hoarse from his outburst earlier. "I know what I must do," Jefferson uttered. Madison looked up at his friend, concern and distress trapped in his eyes. "But I scarce know if I have the strength to do it."

Jefferson in '93? This will be interesting. It will definitely defeat the tradition of a two-term strategy. How're his policies? Are they the same as OTL or more federalist?

What do you mean?

He means that he'd like a little bit of info on what's going on during this TL. You don't have to, but it's best that you answer questions given by your readers to better inform them. At least enough to satisfy their curiosity and not too much as to spoil everything.