The Unusual Powers idea threads

This thread is devoted to gain/flush out ideas for my timeline. The Timeline is about the rise of 6 Unusual Powers that didn't play a huge role in OTL.

The nations I currently have lined up are Greece, Syria-Iraq, and a united Scandinavia.

But I need help with the other 3 nations, a POD for each, and ideas in which to take the timeline. You help would be greatly appreciated. Remember anything is possible.

Korea? I think Korea has a decent amount of unexploited potential if it could break free of the influence of China and Japan. Alternatively, some sort of unified southeast Asia (under the Khmer Empire?).

Any surviving italian nation that attain power status without that leading to an italian unification!

Most intresting scenarios a peripheric italian state, with vaste colonial holing outside Europe, opposing a united Italy.

Most likely are Genova, Venice, Sicily, Sardinia

Perhaps a Malacca that managed to fend off the Portuguese in 1511 and later on grows to become a major power rivalling the likes of China and the European nations?

One of the West African states could be good. Mali, Asanti etc.
Or maybe Oman or Zanzibar could have an Indian ocean trading empire.

Valdemar II

Banned
Saxony, Navarra, Toulouse, Arles, Bavaria and Cologne all had the potential for being more important players, but failed for different reasons.

Saxony had the potential to become the major power of North Germany, but instead ended up as a road bump for the poorer Brandenburg. Bavaria was until the 30 Years War one of the most develop states of Germany, and made enourmous inherience later on, but in 1789 it described as poor and undeveloped compared to neighbouring Austria, even through in population it may very well have as big as Prussia. Cologne was a major territorial state in North West Germany, but ended it existants with a whimper.
Navarra, Toulouse and Arles could at different time have developed into strong national states in Southen France but they all failed.

How's about a Scotland that doesn't attempt the Darien Scheme?

Darien knocked the bottom out of our system and sent us into the slide towards ungovernability that ended up with the Union, but that doesn't mean our system before Darien was an effective one. We were politically, diplomatically, economically at a massive disadvantage, and our successes of the 18th C were in a British context (we were a society with far more educated people than we had opportunity, and swiftly started colonising everywhere from America to the City).

Without Darien, we would be able, if we were lucky, to continue being an agrarian, manipulated backwater.

Susano

Banned
Saxony had the potential to become the major power of North Germany, but instead ended up as a road bump for the poorer Brandenburg.
Yeah, that is really the most straight forwards case. Saxony really was THE richest state in Germany, due to the aptly named Ore Mountains (who were really choke full of every imaginable natural ressource) and later due to the procellaine manufacture as well. But while Brandenburg-Prussia had an unbelivable string of outstanding or at least sufficiently competent rulers, Saxony saw a nearly as unbelievable string of really wasteful, pompous and generally incompetent rulers, who even managed to get rich Saxony deeply indebted. With different rulers very easy to change...

Bavaria was until the 30 Years War one of the most develop states of Germany, and made enourmous inherience later on, but in 1789 it described as poor and undeveloped compared to neighbouring Austria, even through in population it may very well have as big as Prussia.
Hm, but Bavaria did catch up very well in the Napoleonic period. Certainly later on , during the German Confederation, when Austria stayed out of the Customs Union to protect its underdeveloped economy, Bavaria happily particpated... but yes, much of that is due to Monteglas' reforms (he really is one of the most underappreciated and unknown "great men" in history).

Cologne was a major territorial state in North West Germany, but ended it existants with a whimper.
A narrow stretch along the rhine, the Wetsphalian rump duchy and the Vest Recklinghausen do not a "major territorial state" make! Cologne was powerful during the Middle Ages, when its Archbishop played a major part in imperial politics, but in the Early Modern Ages, and as just another principality (if an electorate) it wasnt a major power. Its main claim to fame was repeatedly betraying the Empire and allying with France...

Great ideas.

I think i can make something work with Portugal and Southeast asia. As for Oman it too far away for me to work with ( their rise would cause some many ripples it would be ridiculous)

Also I need some help for some POD for these nations.

I was thinking for Greece that Lord Byron lives longer and becomes it King leading to a stronger Greece.

As for German nations they will not be one of the feature nations but one of these could rise to power as Scandinavia destroys Prussia (this is only idea)

Tell me what you guys think