The Union Forever: A TL

The Great War: Neutral Nations 1907
The Neutrals

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

Kitchener-Britons.jpg

Recruitment poster for the expanding British Army

With the outbreak of war in the autumn of 1907 the United Kingdom, the greatest industrial and naval power in Europe, declared its neutrality and watched uneasily on the Entente powers aggression. Great Britain’s policy towards Europe had always been to maintain a balance of power, in other words not letting one country dominate the continent. Imperial France however, with its declaration of war on Prussia, was beginning to challenge this notion.

In a sense, the current disposition of many in Britain was an inversion of their policy 50 years ago. During the Crimean War (1853-1856), the United Kingdom fought with France and the Ottoman Empire against Russia whom they saw as a serious threat to their south Asian possessions. Furthermore, there were several British policy makers at the time who feared that rapidly industrializing Prussia would challenge Britain in a naval arms race. By the early 20th century however, the geo-political situation was very different. Anglo-French relations had been souring for decades as the French Empire had industrialized and expanded at an alarming pace. Russia had also liberalized into a functioning constitutional monarchy and focused its attentions away from British India, two things which greatly improved Russo-British relations.

In short, as 1908 approached anti-Entente sentiments in the United Kingdom were on the rise. Large segments of the British public felt a since of kinship with what they viewed as Protestant Prussia’s heroic stand against Napoleonic aggression. The French blockade of Russia and Prussia in the North Sea was also causing considerable tensions as the Royal Navy was uneasy about France’s presence in its home waters. In light of these developments and the ongoing guerrilla war in the Boer Republics, Britain in late 1907 began to greatly expand its navy and army.

Kingdom of Spain

A deeply conservative monarchy, the Kingdom of Spain at the start of the war favored the largely catholic Entente. The sorry state of the Spanish military and the few foreseeable gains for entering the war however, kept Spain neutral.

Kingdom of Portugal

Following the lead of its chief ally the United Kingdom, Portugal maintained in 1907 a pro-Alliance neutrality.

Kingdom of Belgium

Its independence and perpetual neutrality being guaranteed by the 1839 Treaty of London, Belgium maintains a very strict neutrality in order to stay out of the war.

Kingdom of the Netherlands

An important Prussian trading partner, the Netherlands favors the Alliance but is careful to not upset the French.

Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Situated dangerously close to some of the most intense fighting of the war, the tiny country of Luxembourg was desperate to stay out of the fighting. Luxembourg however, was unsuccessful in getting other neutral nations such as the United Kingdom, Belgium or the Netherlands in signing a defensive agreement to officially guarantee the small Duchy’s independence.[1]

United Kingdom of Sweden and Norway

Although despite having some irredentist claims against Russia, the United Kingdom of Sweden and Norway favored the Alliance. This was mostly due to Prussia being an important export market for Swedish iron, a commodity that was desperately needed in the Prussian war effort.

Kingdom of Denmark

Christian_IX_of_Denmark.jpg

Christian IX
King of Denmark

Having lost the southern provinces of Schleswig and Holstein to Prussia in 1864, the Kingdom of Denmark resents their powerful southern neighbor. At the start of the war, Napoleon IV offered the return of those provinces if Denmark would enter the war against the Alliance. However, the aging King Christian IX refused the offer, stating that the “current disparity of forces does not lend itself to Denmark joining the war at this time.”

Persian Empire

Having been ruled by the Qajar dynasty since 1794, the Persian Empire deeply resents the encroaching powers of Imperial Russia and Britain. Furthermore having suffered territorial loses to Russia in the 1880’s Persia is seriously contemplating joining the war against the Alliance.

China

Although both the Imperial and Republican factions in China are officially neutral, the ongoing conflict between Russia and Japan in Manchuria has severely strained the already abysmal Sino-Japanese and Sino-Russian relations. Clashes between Chinese elements and Russian and Japanese forces are not uncommon but both sides are two distracted by the Chinese Civil War and the Great War respectively to become heavily engaged.

The United States of America

American Secretary of State William McKinley and Secretary or War Theodore Roosevelt

From the start of the conflict the United States has maintained a firm pro-Alliance stance. The reasons for this are several fold. First, the United States dislikes France’s encroachment in the New World as seen in the Panama Canal and France’s alliances with Brazil and Colombia. Secondly, the United States has an enormous German, Russian, and Italian immigrant community. Thirdly, the constitutional monarchies of the Alliance are perceived to be more democratic than the more authoritarian and imperialistic Entente powers. Finally France, having declared war on Prussia first, is viewed as the aggressor and a warmonger.

Although at the start of the war a clear majority of Americans favored neutrality, the Republican administration or President Robert T. Lincoln began increasing America’s readiness for war. The military buildup of the past few years was accelerated over the objections of the more isolationist Democratic party. Secretary of State McKinley and Secretary of War Roosevelt, both staunch Francophobes, also began making plans to put pressure on France to end the war. Furthermore, thousands of Americans, many of German extraction, joined the von Stueben Brigade to fight against France on the German Front.

Empire of Brazil

France’s most important ally in South America, the Empire of Brazil maintained a decidedly pro-Entente stance towards the war. Although at the start of the war Empress Isabela I turned down a request from Napoleon IV for Brazil to join the war, Brazil continued to provide France with large quantities of raw materials and agricultural products. Both of which were desperately needed for the French war effort.

[1] ITTL there was no Treaty of London (1867), Luxembourg has maintained an uneasy independence based largely on a 1869 bilateral agreement between the French Empire and the Kingdom of Prussia to have Luxembourg serve as a buffer state.

Last edited:
China

Although both the Imperial and Republican factions in China are officially neutral, the ongoing conflict between Russia and Japan in Manchuria has severely strained the already abysmal Sino-Japanese and Sino-Soviet relations. Clashes between Chinese elements and Russian and Japanese forces are not uncommon but both sides are two distracted by the Chinese Civil War and the Great War respectively to become heavily engaged.

:confused:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you meant Sino-Russian relations.

Quick question: how's Argentina faring?

At this point of time, it should have a comparable economy to the US (and a similar situation, receiving immigrants, etc,), and is thus important to consider.

Although the United States is as stated a pro-Alliance nation, I still don't know if I can see the US getting involved in this one, unless of course a Lusitania sized incident occurs. I could however see them acting as a very firm peace negotiator, eventually scaring the Entente with entering the war on the side of the Alliance in order to secure a reasonable peace, where it can voice its opinion about the post-war world.

United Kingdom of Sweden and Norway

Although despite having some irredentist claims against Russia, the United Kingdom of Sweden and Norway favored the Alliance. This was mostly due to Prussia being an important export market for Swedish iron, a commodity that was desperately needed in the Prussian war effort.
The Norwegian element would be quite likely to follow the lead of the the United Kingdom, as well - which, of course, in this TL means pro-Alliance neutrality, so in this matter there should be little Swedish/Norwegian foreign policy tension.

Random question, but how is La Argentina doing in this era? Is it anywhere near the minor economic power it became as per OTL (American and European immigration and investment made it 10th in the world on the eve of the Depression), or has this vastly different Europe kept investment and immigration lower, making it play second fiddle to Brazil even more so? Just saying, I'd imagine a dismayed-with-the-French America would begin to take interest in it as a nice counterweight to Brazil.

Last edited:
How about the Eurasian Alliance? or maybe the Eurasian Powers?

The PRI alliance is mostly european based and Russia has territory in asia, so... why not? any other ideas or suggestions? I agree that we do need a better name :D

They are fighting against Napoleonic France. What about the Coalition?

The PRI alliance is mostly european based and Russia has territory in asia, so... why not? any other ideas or suggestions? I agree that we do need a better name :D

Why not name it for a town where a treaty or such is signed for them like the Warsaw Pact? OK I know a trying to be a little funny.:D

Seriously, if you discount the fact that Italy is southern europe you could call them the Eastern Alliance. Since the 2 senior powers are basically in the eastern european area that might work.

Quick question: how's Argentina faring?

At this point of time, it should have a comparable economy to the US (and a similar situation, receiving immigrants, etc,), and is thus important to consider.

Random question, but how is La Argentina doing in this era? Is it anywhere near the minor economic power it became as per OTL (American and European immigration and investment made it 10th in the world on the eve of the Depression), or has this vastly different Europe kept investment and immigration lower, making it play second fiddle to Brazil even more so? Just saying, I'd imagine a dismayed-with-the-French America begin to take interest in it as a nice counterweight to Brazil.

The Argentine Republic is the second most powerful state in South America. Argentina has experienced considerable economic growth in recent decades and is pretty much where it is in OTL. The Argentine government is highly suspicious of their Brazilian neighbors, and their French allies, and view themselves as the regions legitimate republican leader. As such Argentina maintains close relations with the United Kingdom and to a lesser extent the United States of America. Since the outbreak of the war Argentina has been preparing itself incase Brazil decides to take advantage of the distraction in Europe and launch a war in South America.

argentina-flag.gif

Flag of the Argentine Republic

Last edited by a moderator:
They are fighting against Napoleonic France. What about the Coalition?

Why not name it for a town where a treaty or such is signed for them like the Warsaw Pact? OK I know a trying to be a little funny.:D

Seriously, if you discount the fact that Italy is southern europe you could call them the Eastern Alliance. Since the 2 senior powers are basically in the eastern european area that might work.

maybe we could collect suggestions for names and put it to a vote? a poll perhaps, if that's possible

Great War Generals?

Hey Everyone,
As we are getting deeper and deeper into the TL’s Great War I would like to put out a request for who you think should be the generals/admirals in the belligerent and neutral power’s militaries. Keep in mind that it should not include anyone who was born after the POD (1862), but can include anyone who might have died in OTL between 1862 and 1907 (A 72 year old Charles Gordon perhaps?). Please include name, country, possible position, and whether this person would be beneficial or harmful to that country’s war effort. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!
MacGregor

For France you could probably have Castelnau, Franchet d'Esperey, Foch as the most important French generals
Maybe you should take a look at some writers who could be more fascinated by the army in a Bonapartist France
If you need more informations about France just let me know
Cheers and thank you for this TL

Agreed. Whoever lost in TTL WWI would want major payback...

Just caught up with the TL. Good stuff, MacGregor.

My thoughts on the China situation: as several posters said before, the Han Chinese identity was too strong for China to balkanize. An independent Xinjiang and Tibet is possible, seeing that they're Ugyhur and Tibetian (oh, and Mongolia, too). A puppet Manchukuo-type state in the northeast, controlled by either Russia or Japan, may be possible as well. The rest would be a united country, regardless of what type of government it may have (not constitutional monarchy - the average Chinese hated the Manchus by this point; not republic - since Sun Yat-sen was never born)...

As for TTL WWI, I would root for a Prussian-Russian-Italy victory, for no other reason than "I don't want the French to win" ;)

Also, I think if TTL Entente keep on winning, the Brits might pull off some sort of deal with the Boers and then jump on the French, to protect the balance of power?

Marc A

P.S. The "post-POD people were never born ITTL" rule really, IMHO, ruined the possibilities of abuse (say, Adolf Hitler escaped the French onslaught and signed-up for the Germany Army, and became a war hero through kicking a lot of French asses :D)
P.P.S. Will there be an AEF after America got involved in WWI?
P.P.P.S. I might have missed it, but what happened to Canada? :p

Good comments on China. At this time i can not answer your question whether America will send a AEF if it enters the war. Canada is very much like OTL Canada and is a Dominion in the British Empire.