The Union Forever: A TL

The battle for Hainan is brutal. Many in the Japanese government are starting to view the war as unwinnable. The problem is that the terms for peace are to high. Most Japanese policy makers couldn't stomach giving up Formosa, much less Korea. So the war will drag on unless a compromise can be reached.
I think that would be vice versa, by this time Formosa should practically be a home island, while Korea is more of an imperial possession. So I think they'd give up Korea far sooner than Formosa

I think that would be vice versa, by this time Formosa should practically be a home island, while Korea is more of an imperial possession. So I think they'd give up Korea far sooner than Formosa

Independent Korea has more national security implications, though. It's an old fear in Japan that a hostile Korea (and boy, they're liable to be hostile) could be a springboard for an invasion. Think Britain and the Channel ports in WWI.

Independent Korea has more national security implications, though. It's an old fear in Japan that a hostile Korea (and boy, they're liable to be hostile) could be a springboard for an invasion. Think Britain and the Channel ports in WWI.
That may be true, but National Security can be overridden fairly easily, yes they really, really don't want a hostile Korea, but still I think they'd rather lose that than something that would almost be part of the metropole by the late 70's

And Japan, assuming they aren't totally occupied in this war, isn't going to have to fear invasion for very long, they should be getting nukes really soon, as in I'm surprised they didn't have them before the war soon

That may be true, but National Security can be overridden fairly easily, yes they really, really don't want a hostile Korea, but still I think they'd rather lose that than something that would almost be part of the metropole by the late 70's

And Japan, assuming they aren't totally occupied in this war, isn't going to have to fear invasion for very long, they should be getting nukes really soon, as in I'm surprised they didn't have them before the war soon

Good points guys. Concerning Formosa and Korea. While Formosa is more heavily Japanese than Korea is, the Korean Peninsula is considered more valuable due to its size, population, and the security issues mentioned above.

On nukes, nuclear technology is years behind our TL and Japan has lagged behind. In their defense they thought the current war would be over in six to nine months and that nukes wouldn't be needed. They are currently working on developing nuclear weapons which is one reason why the Allies want to defeat them decisively so they don't have to worry about a nuclear armed vengeful Japan.

Asia-Pacific War: India Jan-Jun 1979
Victory in India

January-June, 1979

Battle of Calcutta

As the former capital of the British Raj and India’s chief eastern port with some 8,900,000 inhabitants, Calcutta’s importance was self-evident. Having slogged their way through Assam and Bengal, the Chinese Technate was determined to capture the city at any cost. Beginning on January 4, Technate forces under General Ming Bai Du made an armored thrust well to the north in an attempt to surround the city. In response, Indian General Saral Narang successfully contested the crossing of the Ganges River at Farakka, where a missile strike disabled one of the Technate’s pontoon bridges. However, the Chinese soon broke through at other points including a daring crossing of the Padma River at Rajshahi made under murderous artillery and automatic weapons fire. Over the next three months, the Chinese slowly strangled the city until house to house fighting began in the impoverished outskirts. Although by no means the largest engagement of the war, the battle of Calcutta would prove one of the most vicious as 450,000 Chinese soldiers grappled with over 300,000 Indian defenders in a life and death struggle. When the city finally fell on May 28, the Hooghly River that runs through the city was reported to literally run red with blood as soldiers and civilians fleeing the fighting were indiscriminately killed by Technate helicopters. With Calcutta captured the entire eastern front for the URI collapsed with only a handful of depleted units to contest any further advance along the Gangetic Plain.

Invasion of the Punjab

Pressed hard on other fronts, Indian General Kshitij Patil did his best to contain the Persian offensive despite crippling shortages in ammunition, fuel, and reinforcements. Further complicating matters for Patil, the largely Muslim population of the states of Sindh, South Punjab, and West Punjab were rising up in open rebellion against the perceived wrongs committed by the Nanda regime. After a brief pause to consolidate their overstretched supply lines, the Persians resumed their push eastwards in mid-February. Despite several URI victories at places like Khangarh and Rajanpur, the Persians inevitable gained ground. By the end of May, the URI had lost control of Multan, Sukkur, and Bahawalpur. On June 1, an overly ambitious attempt to capture Lahore failed after the Persians foolishly underestimated its defenses. The final battle of the campaign came to a successful end on June 16, when Karachi finally surrendered. Fittingly, General Patil’s last transmission to his superiors before being captured read simply “the Indus is lost.”

Fall of Ēkatā Śahara

With the Indians fully engaged in the east and west, Field Marshal Marion Fitzpatrick decided to continue his drive north towards the URI capital. Named Operation Guillotine because of its goal to “cut the head of the serpent,” Fitzpatrick hoped that by capturing Ēkatā Śahara “Unity City”, the war in India would effectively be over. Formerly known as Nagpur, Ēkatā Śahara was the showpiece of Harshad Nanda’s India. As such, Nanda personally took command of its defense, ringing the city in trenches, anti-cataphract ditches, and landmines. The battle would rage for 84 days, as Commonwealth forces methodically cleared the capital’s defensive belts. As the final push to capture the city center began on June 18, Harsad Nanda was killed when a Madrasian aircraft dropped an OP-19 “bunker buster” bomb on his underground headquarters. The city capitulated the following morning as jubilant Commonwealth troops toppled a bronze statue of Nanda in Unity Square in what was at the time the most watched television broadcast in history.

Armistice

News of Nanda’s death spread like wildfire throughout the URI. His appointed successor Shrinivas Dev Korrapati, the secretary general of the Internal Security Commission the URI’s feared secret police, announced on June 20 that the war would continue “until the last drop of Indian blood.” Fortunately for India, Korrapati would not get his wish. On June 22, Korrapati was deposed by a group of Indian officers led by Colonel Adjeet Gadhavi, who rightly understood that the war was lost. The following day, the URI flag was lowered over Delhi’s Red Fort and the tricolor swastika banner of the Indian Republic was raised. An armistice with the Allied Powers went into effect at noon on June 24, ending nearly three years of bloody conflict on the subcontinent.

attachment.php

United Republic of India
1968-1979​

Last edited:
And the war finally grinds to an end in India, with a bloody final battle of Calcutta and a a rather "Iraqi Freedom"-esque ending to Nanda and his cronies. I'd hesitate to even ponder the body count from this war, it's likely to be pretty high all told (at a minimum I figure something like the OTL Iran-Iraq War in death toll). Of course, now the Chinese Technate will have their pound of flesh to enjoy as per their agreement with the Commonwealth, who I imagine may end up with buyer's remorse after it's all said and done...then again, they had to have known what they were signing up for. At least the war's done with, and the Subcontinent can hopefully go back to being peaceful. Also, Persia seems to have made some big gains in the West, I wonder how much they'll hold on to as conquered territory?

Great update, Mac!

Last edited:
The war ain't over yet. Mighty Japan and puny Venezuela have to be dealt with. I don't see how you defeat Japan without the "bomb"...unless you let the Chinese invade. That's about the only nation that can afford and might be willing to pay the cost in blood to defeat Japan in the Home Islands...

Peace with India let much Commonwealth troops free against Japan and Venezuela. Venezuela might surrend soon but Japan is surely harder piece. Will be intresting to see what in India will happen.

And death toll with soldiers and civilians during Commonwealth-Pact war will be very soon. Surely one bloodiest war on 20th century. I could imagine that being almost so high as Great War of TTL.

I have to say Mac, you do have an interesting talent, this is probably the only time I've ever been happy to read about a swastika decked flag being raised in victory :p

The war now goes into its final stages. Japan is somewhat easy to defeat (absent the fanatic militant cult) as you achieve air and sea superiority, blockade and bomb the nation until either internal revolt topples the regime or they ask for an armistice. Japan's leaders seem more canny here so the Kobuyashi party might retain power if they are clever enough.

Good, as always Mac. A fitting end for "Fascist" India.

However, I think the worst is yet to come. The Commonwealth may have been able to subdue India, but Japan will be much harder to defeat. An invasion of the Japanese islands will be bloody, and draining on the allies. Things should get very interesting from here.

Victory at last! Now to Japan, and I think like OTL WW2 it may very well take a nuclear bomb to shock the Japanese into a full and final surrender.

Glad to see they didn't have to fight until the last drop of Indian blood.

Now that the UK/Commonwealth can focus on Japan and Venezuela maybe the US won't have to get involved.

Judging by Calcutta, Technate presence in part of India will be unpleasant.
The Commonwealth needs to prop up democracy in rump India.

And the war finally grinds to an end in India, with a bloody final battle of Calcutta and a a rather "Iraqi Freedom"-esque ending to Nanda and his cronies. I'd hesitate to even ponder the body count from this war, it's likely to be pretty high all told (at a minimum I figure something like the OTL Iran-Iraq War in death toll). Of course, now the Chinese Technate will have their pound of flesh to enjoy as per their agreement with the Commonwealth, who I imagine may end up with buyer's remorse after it's all said and done...then again, they had to have known what they were signing up for. At least the war's done with, and the Subcontinent can hopefully go back to being peaceful. Also, Persia seems to have made some big gains in the West, I wonder how much they'll hold on to as conquered territory?

Great update, Mac!

Good comments. We will have to wait and see how much "buyers remorse" the Commonwealth has with the Chinese.

Does anybody else want to speculate on what the casualties would likely be for the Indian theater?

"Beep-beep-beep-beeeeep!"

The war ain't over yet. Mighty Japan and puny Venezuela have to be dealt with. I don't see how you defeat Japan without the "bomb"...unless you let the Chinese invade. That's about the only nation that can afford and might be willing to pay the cost in blood to defeat Japan in the Home Islands...

Peace with India let much Commonwealth troops free against Japan and Venezuela. Venezuela might surrend soon but Japan is surely harder piece. Will be intresting to see what in India will happen.

And death toll with soldiers and civilians during Commonwealth-Pact war will be very soon. Surely one bloodiest war on 20th century. I could imagine that being almost so high as Great War of TTL.

I have to say Mac, you do have an interesting talent, this is probably the only time I've ever been happy to read about a swastika decked flag being raised in victory :p

The war now goes into its final stages. Japan is somewhat easy to defeat (absent the fanatic militant cult) as you achieve air and sea superiority, blockade and bomb the nation until either internal revolt topples the regime or they ask for an armistice. Japan's leaders seem more canny here so the Kobuyashi party might retain power if they are clever enough.

Good, as always Mac. A fitting end for "Fascist" India.

However, I think the worst is yet to come. The Commonwealth may have been able to subdue India, but Japan will be much harder to defeat. An invasion of the Japanese islands will be bloody, and draining on the allies. Things should get very interesting from here.

Victory at last! Now to Japan, and I think like OTL WW2 it may very well take a nuclear bomb to shock the Japanese into a full and final surrender.

Thanks everyone. Good comments on Japan. Sounds like a number of y'all think that nukes would need to be used. How long could Japan probably last under a blockade?