The Union Forever: A TL

And how about these for the Compact powers?

Compact Roundels.png

Asia-Pacific War: The War Widens Feb 1977
The War Widens

February 1977

attachment.php

Flag of the Republic of Venezuela​

Venezuela joins the War

In the first six months of fighting, the Calcutta Compact had undoubtedly made considerable gains in Asia and the Pacific. Believing that the British Commonwealth would soon be forced to sue for peace, Venezuelan dictator Vicente Saturnino decided that the time was right to join the other corporatist powers and settle the longstanding boundary dispute with neighboring British Guyana. On February 3, Venezuelan troops crossed their eastern frontier. Luckily for the Commonwealth, intelligence delivered by a mole in the Venezuelan Navy had alerted the British two days earlier. The Dominion’s government and small defense force managed to put up only token resistance before fleeing to Barbados on February 7. Following the quick conquest of British Guyana, Saturnino turned his attention to the nearby island of Trinidad. Located less than seven miles from the Venezuelan coast, it was imperative that the British colony of Trinidad was seized in order to stop Commonwealth aircraft from utilizing the island’s runways. On February 10, four regiments of Venezuelan paratroopers landed on the outskirts of the colonial capital of Port-of-Spain. For the first few hours, it looked as if the Commonwealth defenders aided by local volunteers might be able to hold the city. However, after Venezuelan reinforcements stormed ashore later that day Governor General Evander Shepard ordered the surrender to spare further bloodshed.

Operation Halberd

In mid-February, the Commonwealth War Council held a series of meetings in London to address the deteriorating military situation. With the war having spread to the Caribbean, and what appeared to be impending disaster in India, Malaya, and Papua it was clear to all that something dramatic would have to be done and soon. Commonwealth Chief of Staff Field Marshal Silas Michaelson presented Operation Halberd as a dramatic way to end the war in their favor. Halberd entailed using Britain’s nuclear arsenal, which had expanded exponentially since the start of the conflict. Over a 3 hour period between 80-95 nuclear weapons would be employed against the military and industrial centers of the Compact powers. It was hoped, that by using overwhelming force the corporatists would be unable to mount a coordinated response with their own chemical and biological weapons. Field Marshal Michelson estimated that military and civilian casualties would range anywhere from eight to twelve million. While some reluctantly favored the plan as the only sure way to win the war, the proposal was ultimately rejected. Besides the ethical and diplomatic issues raised, Michaelson could not guarantee that Japan and India would be unable to retaliate with biological weapons, a major concern in Madras, New Zealand, and Australia. With Operation Halberd ruled out, it was decided to pursue the only other option that might lead to victory, bringing China into the war.

Cape Town Conference

The Commonwealth had made repeated overtures to the Technate of China since the start of the conflict to no avail. By February of 1977 however the situation had become so dire that they were willing to give almost anything for China to join the fight. Meeting in a clandestine location in the South African city of Cape Town, representatives from the Technate, Portugal, and the British Commonwealth discussed terms that would bring China into the fray. After three days of tense negotiations, a deal was struck on February 21 with the following articles.

1)The Technate of China would declare war on Japan, India, Vietnam, Laos, Kampuchea, and Venezuela no later than March 1, 1977.
2)Neither China, Portugal, nor any member of the Commonwealth would negotiate a separate peace.
3)Formosa and Hainan would be returned to China.
4)Vietnam, Laos, Kampuchea, and the Korean Peninsula would fall into China’s sphere of influence.
5)Within four years of the end of hostilities Hong Kong and Macau would be ceded to China for what the Technate deemed “a fair price.”

Although steep, the Commonwealth realized they had little choice but to accept. Upon hearing the offer, Chief Executive Heng is reported to have remarked, “What took them so long?” On February 28, China officially entered the war and a new and more deadly chapter in the conflict began.

attachment.php

The belligerents as of 1 March, 1977​

Last edited:
I was really glad when I got to "rejected" in Halberd. Holy shit.

Anyway, is it really that steep a price to pay? From what I can see the only thing the UK and Portugal are losing are Macau and Hong Kong; everything else is coming from the supposed losers. I suppose they might count the loss of SE Asia in their sphere of influence as a price they pay.

Also,

On February 28, China officially entered the war and a new and more deadly chapter in the conflict began.

methinks this means bio/chem weapons are indeed to follow.

Anyway, is it really that steep a price to pay? From what I can see the only thing the UK and Portugal are losing are Macau and Hong Kong; everything else is coming from the supposed losers. I suppose they might count the loss of SE Asia in their sphere of influence as a price they pay.

Also,

Good god what a mess. :(

Also,

It does remove all foreign influence from China proper. Both countries lose a base in China, which hurts Portugal a lot more than Britain. A friendly China that has the east and south buffered would look north and west toward Russia, which would push them farther into the Commonwealth's camp.

I do note Burma does not fall into China's influence, though.

This might wake Portugal up, though, and actually have them work harder at keeping their colonies. East Timor suddenly becomes that much more vital. I wonder if they'll manage to integrate the half of the island or their African colonies. No matter who wins in India, I think Portugal loses Goa.

Hrm. What would happen to Japanese Malay Peninsula if it is lost? Returned to Siam/added to Malaya/split along ethnic lines?

Good that they decided that not use nuclear weapons. I am bit surprised that Commonwealth decided ask help of China nor United States. But probably USA join on some point to the war.

Both countries lose a base in China, which hurts Portugal a lot more than Britain.

I mean what did they think China would ask for first from the UK and Portugal? I mean their recognized hegemony in East Asia is there to sweeten the pot since China has them by the balls, but of course they're going to want China Proper back.

Good that they decided that not use nuclear weapons. I am bit surprised that Commonwealth decided ask help of China nor United States. But probably USA join on some point to the war.

The USA will have to be attacked; what could the Commonwealth offer the US that would make the Americans want to go to war?

The USA will have to be attacked; what could the Commonwealth offer the US that would make the Americans want to go to war?

Nothing directly that I can tell. The US would love to topple Venezuela's government (at least I imagine as such) and cut Japan back so US Micronesia and the Philippines aren't as threatened. There's no Pacific cession that would be worth it on its own.

Although, they might jump in if bio/chems are used by either side, if only so the enemy (whichever one it may be) might be defeated quicker. The potential lives saved might be worth it. And even then, that would be a stretch for an untested president to pull off.

80-95 weap--:eek::eek:

Damn! Glad Halberd got rejected; bio-weapons retaliation would be no picnic either! :(

Welp, the Technate's in, with its population and hopefully a decent tech / manufacturing base to get weapons production geared up. I wonder when they'll realize they're the Commonwealth's meat shield in the Asian theater?

And does the USA have anything like Lend-Lease going with the Commonwealth?

80-95 weap--:eek::eek:

Damn! Glad Halberd got rejected; bio-weapons retaliation would be no picnic either! :(

Welp, the Technate's in, with its population and hopefully a decent tech / manufacturing base to get weapons production geared up. I wonder when they'll realize they're the Commonwealth's meat shield in the Asian theater?

And does the USA have anything like Lend-Lease going with the Commonwealth?

They probably realize they are the meat shield, which is why they demand basically hegemony over East Asia. They probably worry more about Japanese war planes than Indian armies though.

What's the national anthem of the United States ITTL?

The Battle Cry of Freedom and there is its lyrics:

Yes we'll rally round the flag, boys, we'll rally once again,
Shouting the battle cry of freedom,
We will rally from the Southland, we'll gather from the North,
Shouting the battle cry of freedom!

(Chorus)

The Union forever! Hurrah, boys, hurrah!
Down with the tyrants, and up with the stars;
While we rally round the flag, boys, rally once again,

We are springing to the call with a million freemen more,
And we'll fill our vacant ranks of our brothers gone before,
Chorus
We will welcome to our numbers the loyal, true and brave,
And although he may be poor, not a man shall be a slave,