The Union Forever: A TL

Sorry for the lack of updates y'all. Work has been absolutely brutal. I have been thinking about a possible flag of emblem for the League of American Republics. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Sorry for the lack of updates y'all. Work has been absolutely brutal. I have been thinking about a possible flag of emblem for the League of American Republics. Does anybody have any suggestions?

A globe, centred on the Americas, surrounded by a laurel wreath and as many stars as there are member states.

A globe, centred on the Americas, surrounded by a laurel wreath and as many stars as there are member states.

On a blue field, with white stars/globe/wreath?

Stars might come across as too US-centric. What about 4 pointed stars?
Unless several other American republics also use 5 pointed stars in their flags.

Unless several other American republics also use 5 pointed stars in their flags.

Well, those that did were inspired by the US, so maybe 4-pointed stars would work. Or maybe Commonwealth-esque rays around the globe?

Well it is the Republic of the America's, but other members also use the stars so it makes sense to me for them to be included.

I think Ares idea would work the best, have the American hemisphere just put proudly on the globe in a laurel wreath surrounded by stars for the number of member states.

Well, those that did were inspired by the US, so maybe 4-pointed stars would work. Or maybe Commonwealth-esque rays around the globe?

Well it is the Republic of the America's, but other members also use the stars so it makes sense to me for them to be included.

I think Ares idea would work the best, have the American hemisphere just put proudly on the globe in a laurel wreath surrounded by stars for the number of member states.

Good suggestions. I was messing around with this. thoughts?

LAR Flag.png

1973: Foreign Developments

Foreign Developments

1973 saw Chief Executive Heng began the arduous process of remaking China into a Technocratic state. The new bureaucracy began massive reforms promoting education starting with an ambitious program of universal literacy by 1985. Although technically legal, religion was heavily discouraged as “backwards and unscientific.” However, the new regime did promote what would become known as Techno-Confucianism which stressed order, loyalty to the government, learning, and meritocracy. After a purge of old regime loyalists, the Chinese military also began an extensive modernization process. Concerning foreign relations, the Technate of China remained deliberately ambiguous seeking technical experts and investment from North America and Europe while at the same time trying hard not to antagonize its historical adversaries such as Japan and Russia.[*]

In July, the general election for the Russian Duma saw a coalition of leftwing and pro-autonomist Soyuznyy parities finally oust the conservative Motherland Party after 27 years in power. Empress Elizabeth II abided by the people’s choice despite pleas from certain groups including some in the military to invalidate the election results. Demyan Matveev, the new Prime Minister, promised a “massive restructuring of the Empire” a declaration that set traditional elements on edge. [*]

On August 17, the British colony of Nigeria was granted Dominion status with King Edward VIII presiding over the official ceremony in the capital city of Lagos. As one of the most diverse and populous territories in Africa, many experts worried that tensions between the Muslim north and Christian south would tear the new nation apart. As such, the newly installed Prime Minister Joseph Ukiwe led a unity government composed of equal parts of Christians and Muslims in the hopes of warding off future division. [*]

With Japan already riding high after its resent triumph over Siam, it scored another impressive success in September when it concluded a formal alliance with the United Republic of India. Known in the West as the Calcutta Compact after the city in which the treaty was signed, the agreement joined Japan, India, Vietnam, Kampuchea, and Laos in a mutual defense pact. The effects of the treaty were apparent almost immediately when India began to more aggressively press its claims against neighboring Bengal. The compact also greatly alarmed Japan and India’s rivals in the region especially Persia and the British Commonwealth who saw it as a boldfaced move to upset the existing balance of power. [*]

In November, representatives from every nation with a claim on territory in Antarctica met in the Spanish city of Barcelona to argue their case. After weeks of negotiations and backroom deals an agreement was finally reached. The result was the 1973 Antarctic Treaty which divided the continent between twelve countries. Australia received the largest portion followed by Japan and South Africa. While some proposed that the continent should be demilitarized, opposition by the Japanese and Germans ultimate blocked this measure. While most found the treaty an amicably solution to a long standing problem, not every country was pleased as France’s claims dating to before the Great War were resoundingly ignored the by the other powers.

Antartic map.png

Last edited:
Hopefully great powers don't ruin enviromnent of Antarctic.

And situation in Southern Asia is very tense. Hopefully area can avoid total war.

Indeed, between the Calcutta Compact and China embracing a Technocratic government (which I don't believe to be a good thing, frankly) I get an itchy feeling about the future of Asia. Here's hoping somebody (the British and/or the Americans, for my vote) sticks around to push the Calcuttans' s**t in if they get out of line or overly expansionistic in the future.

I forget, but what does the Soyuznyy party's platform outline? I don't seem to recall their being mentioned before as a force in politics but I could just be misremembering things. Also, I'm glad to see that Nigeria has a thought-out plan for hopefully avoiding ethno-religious strife between the Muslims and Christians.

Great update, MacGregor!

I'm not sure that Antarctica could successfully be partitioned (with there being many competing interests).

I suspect that there would probably be "blocks" of countries that support each others claims and not the claims of other nations (with a few exceptions), there would be a lot of overlap between various "block claims".

(IIRC The United Kingdom, France, Norway, Australia, and New Zealand all recognize each others claims, but don't recognize Argentina or Chile's claim)

Also, what is the rationale for the Denmark-Iceland claim?

I see your point on Antarctica. However ITTL most nations agree to tone down their claims in return for having their claims recognized by the other powers. As mentioned not everyone is happy with the treaty as the French, Italian, and Russian claims (albeit extremely weak ones) are not recognized by the other powers. In return the Turin Pact, Orthodox Council, and several other nations refuse to recognize the 1973 Antarctic Treaty.

Denmark-Iceland's claim goes back to 1906 when Danish explorer Nikolaus Theodor Svendsen led the first expedition to the South Pole.

Indeed, between the Calcutta Compact and China embracing a Technocratic government (which I don't believe to be a good thing, frankly) I get an itchy feeling about the future of Asia. Here's hoping somebody (the British and/or the Americans, for my vote) sticks around to push the Calcuttans' s**t in if they get out of line or overly expansionistic in the future.

I forget, but what does the Soyuznyy party's platform outline? I don't seem to recall their being mentioned before as a force in politics but I could just be misremembering things. Also, I'm glad to see that Nigeria has a thought-out plan for hopefully avoiding ethno-religious strife between the Muslims and Christians.

Great update, MacGregor!

The Soyuznyy or "confederate" parties want more autonomy for their ethnic group or region from the central government in St. Petersburg.

Profile: Robert Gould Shaw
Here is another contribution:

Robert Gould Shaw (1837-1912)

Born to a wealthy abolitionist family in Boston October 10, 1837 Shaw's family moved to New York when he was young. He was educated in Switzerland and what is now Germany before going to Harvard. After graduating from Harvard in 1859 Shaw to work for his father. When the Civil War broke out Shaw first joined the 7th New York Militia before being commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the 2nd Massachusetts infantry. Shaw served with the 2nd Mass. Inf. until December 1862 when he was asked to serve as the second in command of the 32nd Massachusetts, an all African-American regiment. After thinking about it, Shaw accepted. By the end of the war he was in command of the regiment. After the war Shaw went back to work for his father before going to work on his own in Massachusetts with his wife Anne, in 1868. When the war with Spain broke out Shaw volunteered immediately and was given command of the 24th (Colored) Infantry Regiment. After the wound that cost him the use of his right arm, Shaw went back to business. However in 1881 Shaw was tapped by the Republican Machine to run for the Senate. Shaw accepted and became one of the greatest politicians America has ever known. Shaw was instrumental in passing the 14th and 15th amendments. Civil Rights for all was his passion and one that was passed to his children, Abraham Lincoln Shaw, Harriet Beecher Shaw and Benjamin Franklin Shaw. Robert Gould Shaw died July 18, 1912 at the age of 74.

Last edited:
Some pre-POD born people that I don't think have been done:

Dmitri Mendeleev
Louis Pasteur
Thomas Edison
Alexander Graham Bell
Andrew Carnegie
JP Morgan
George Westinghouse
Karl Benz
Mark Twain
William Gladstone

Here is another contribution:

Robert Gould Shaw (1837-1912)

Born to a wealthy abolitionist family in Boston October 10, 1837 Shaw's family moved to New York when he was young. He was educated in Switzerland and what is now Germany before going to Harvard. After graduating from Harvard in 1859 Shaw into worked for his father. When the Civil War broke out Shaw first joined the 7th New York Militia before being commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the 2nd Massachusetts infantry. Shaw served with the 2nd Mass. Inf. until December 1862 when he was asked to serve as the second in command of the 32nd Massachusetts, an all African-American regiment. After thinking about it, Shaw accepted. By the end of the war he was in command of the regiment. After the war Shaw went back to work for his father before going to work on his own in Massachusetts with his wife Anne, in 1868. When the war with Spain broke out Shaw volunteered immediately and was given command of the 24th (Colored) Infantry Regiment. After the wound that cost him the use of his right arm, Shaw went back to business. However in 1881 Shaw was tapped by the Republican Machine to run for the Senate. Shaw accepted and became one of the greatest politicians America has ever known. Shaw was instrumental in passing the 14th and 15th amendments. Civil Rights for all was his passion and one that was passed to his children, Abraham Lincoln Shaw, Harriet Beecher Shaw and Benjamin Franklin Shaw. Robert Gould Shaw died July 18, 1912 at the age of 74.

Thanks Rick007! I was hoping someone would do Robert Gould Shaw. Off the top of my head I don't see any reason why this couldn't be cannon. Keep them coming.

Some pre-POD born people that I don't think have been done:

Dmitri Mendeleev
Louis Pasteur
Thomas Edison
Alexander Graham Bell
Andrew Carnegie
JP Morgan
George Westinghouse
Karl Benz
Mark Twain
William Gladstone

Indeed, I would love read some submissions.