The Union Forever: A TL

The Germans are first? Dang it. Well, this should be interesting. I'm looking forward to the first American in space (from Georgia!).

Another Atkinson government? No surprise there. He seems to be off to a good start. But, unfortunately, the rule of Westminster politics will probably apply: Oppositions don't win, Governments lose.

Early high speed rail, I see. Thinks are looking good in Russia: true modernization rather than Soviet imitations of Western innovations OTL. It would be interesting to see how high speed rail will develop in the US, whether private or public.

Europe is getting rather tense. Still, this three-way miniature cold war should get interesting over next decade.

Brazil might pose a problem to the United State, being yet another crisis in America's backyard. This ultimately depends on how the new regime will act toward the US. Further complications in South America might embolden the Japanese into further "incursions" in Asia.

Yes, in some ways things in Russia are going better than OTL. However they are beginning to see the non Russian minorities becoming more restless.

Interesting, how militant is Brazils new government?

The new Brazilian government is not especially militant persay, it is just a much stronger supporter of the military than its predecessor. However, it is pretty clear that as of right now the military is deciding who rules and who stays.

Is there a map of the world for TTL?

There is newest map:

The Union Forever.PNG

Last edited:
Well, as long as Poland becomes independent, I'm cool.:cool:

Just wondering, how is going with Danis and Polis minorities in Germany.

The Danish and Polish minorities inside of the German Empire are doing well although instances of discrimination (mainly against Poles) aren't uncommon. By the 1960s most are pretty well assimilated into German culture. Politically they generally favor the Social Democrats due to their advocacy for greater government decentralization. Ofcourse their are small underground groups which want full indepedence, but these lack widespread support.

Last edited:
Here is a teaser regarding a future update. A campaign poster for the National Unity Party (Rāṣṭrīya ēkatā pārṭī or REP). Special thanks to traveller76 and all the help he is providing. Enjoy!

REP propaganda.png

Here is a teaser regarding a future update. A campaign poster for the National Unity Party (Rāṣṭrīya ēkatā pārṭī or REP). Special thanks to traveller76 and all the help he is providing. Enjoy!

Indian unity? I don't think it will happen, but it will provide headaches for the West for decades....

I can't wait.:D

Exciting. If the Indian Government plays its cards right, some of the Princely States could be reincorporated, though whether Madras takes an active stance against this remains to be seen.

1966: Domestic Developments

Domestic Developments

Retrieving Melton's capsule from the Pacific

In February, the Coca-Cola Company unveiled the world’s first mass distributed diet soda called Zero-Cal. Although originally intended to fit a niche market of athletes and dieters, Zero-Cal eventually spawned an entire family of diet sodas. Coke’s chief rivals Moxie Beverages and Cariba Cola would release their own diet soft-drinks a few years later.

On May 2, United States Army Air Force pilot Major Walter K. Melton of Georgia became the second man in space and the first man to orbit the earth after splashing down safely near Micronesia.

In Stein v. Rapides Parish School Board the Supreme Court ruled six to five that government sanctioned prayer was permitted in American public schools allowing that it was not “religion specific” and “strictly voluntary.” Unsurprisingly controversy revolving around prayer in public schools would continue for decades.

In August, Pope Pius X made the first papal visit to the United States. His much anticipated tour made stops in Boston, New York City, Santo Domingo, Havana, Halleckville, and San Francisco where he was received by enthusiastic crowds of American Catholics.

In the 1966 midterm elections the Democrats were able to regain the House of Representatives due to a weak economic recovery and unhappiness over the coup in Brazil. The Senate remained in the hands of the Republicans.

As part of America’s ongoing folk music revival, Will Taffey’s single “Take Me Home, Country Roads” climbed to number one on American music charts in November of 1966. Most music critics praised the song and viewed it as a welcome respite to the Futuro dominated airwaves.

Last edited:

Domestic Developments

Retrieving Melton's capsule from the Pacific

• In February, the Coca-Cola Company unveiled the world’s first mass distributed diet soda called Zero-Cal. Although originally intended to fit a niche market of athletes and dieters, Zero-Cal eventually spawned an entire family of diet sodas. Coke’s chief rivals Moxie Cola and Cariba Cola would release their own diet soft-drinks a few years later.
  • On May 2, United States Army Air Force pilot Major Walter K. Melton of Georgia became the first man to orbit the earth after splashing down safely near Micronesia.
  • In Stein v. Rapides Parish School Board the Supreme Court ruled six to five that government sanctioned prayer was permitted in American public schools allowing that it was “non-religion specific” and “strictly voluntary.” Unsurprisingly controversy revolving around prayer in public schools would continue for decades.
  • In August, Pope Pius X made the first papal visit to the United States. His much anticipated tour made stops in Boston, New York City, Santo Domingo, Havana, Halleckville, and San Francisco where he was received by enthusiastic crowds of American Catholics.
  • In the 1966 midterm elections the Democrats were able to regain the House of Representatives due to a weak economic recovery and unhappiness over the coup in Brazil. The Senate remained in the hands of the Republicans.
  • As part of America’s ongoing folk music revival, Will Taffey’s single “Take Me Home, Country Roads” climbed to number one on American music charts in November of 1966. Most music critics praised the song and viewed it as a welcome respite to the Futuro dominated airwaves.
What's Halleckville?

Nice update, MacG! My thoughts:

-Zero-Cal, eh? I'm glad to see Coke managed to survive the butterfly net (along with Moxie, apparently), although I'm not too sure what "Caribe Cola" is, perhaps a Malta equivalent? And even though I'm not sure if Pepsi sticks around, please tell me that something similar to Cheerwine and Crystal Pepsi make their appearances :D

-I'm glad to see the first orbit went well with Mr. Melton. Something that just occurred to me, is that with all that territory in the South Pacific I'd imagine that recovery of American spacecraft may well be less problematic (what with water landings generally being easier and safer than dry-land ones). Plus, being nearer the equator should make for greater ease in sending up large payloads compared to OTL.

-You used my fact-file entry! :D See folks, make a contribution and you will end up seeing it in-canon, if accepted.

-What of the situation in Brazil lately, still less-than-stable I assume!

Keep up the great work, Mac!

J049A.png

Can somebody make a map for the TL using this format? It would be an enormous help. Dont worry about internal borders.

Last edited:
^ I could make a Union Forever map in that format. I think I already made one for 1950 and 1925. I'll make to find them and spruce them up.