The ULTIMATE Modern OTL Map Challenge

Thande

Donor
At least, I think so.

Here it is: in this thread, post maps of the world, or of individual continents, which show things as they actually are. Not as the United Nations or governments say they are, but the real de facto situation.

Quite easy in the case of Europe, for example (add in Abkhazia, South Ossetia, Transnistria, etc.) as those disputed states have well-known borders. But what about the difficult regions, like Africa? How would the world look if our maps really showed the areas controlled by various rebel groups or pretender states?

Remember to give any map posted here a specific date. If you prefer, you can also post maps of a past date, providing it's a fairly recent one (say, after 1995) if that means you can collect more accurate data of the different disputed territories.

Good luck!

Thande

Donor
No interest in this? I admit it's daunting, but come on, I know we have some suitable maps of Europe at least already floating around the forum.

Valdemar II

Banned
No interest in this? I admit it's daunting, but come on, I know we have some suitable maps of Europe at least already floating around the forum.

I think the problem is that few people has a idea of how Africa really look at that level.

Krall

Banned
As far as I know, this is what the world looks like.

1939.gif

Pkmatrix

Monthly Donor

It's a great idea, I just don't know where to begin! :eek: I suppose I should start with the easy ones...

Pkmatrix

Monthly Donor
With Africa, rather than look at the whole continent at once it may be best to split it up into smaller regions or perhaps look at each country individually? The Americas, Europe, and Australia should be easy... I don't think I know enough about most of Asia to make a good attempt at it.

I think this is a really good idea! Perhaps a list of places that need to be on a map?

Off the top of my head:

Europe

Abkhazia
South Ossetia
Nagorno-Karabakh
Kosovo
North Kosovo
Transnistria
Turkish Cyprus

Africa

Galmudug
Maakhir
Puntland
Somaliland
Western Sahara

Asia

Bangsamoro
Eelam
Palestine

That's for starters - any others?

Last edited:
Here's my version:
allnationsiwdfh8.png

Europe
Abkhazia
Chechnya
Spanish Basque Country
South Ossetia
Transnistria
Turkish North Cyprus

Africa
Cabinda
Galmudug
Maakhir
Northern Ivory Coast
Ogaden
Puntland
Sahrawi
Somali Clans
Somaliland
Southern Sudan
Egyptian-Sudanese Border

Asia
Assam
Iraqi Kurdistan
Kashmir

Last edited:
I think this is a really good idea! Perhaps a list of places that need to be on a map?

Off the top of my head:

Europe

Abkhazia
South Ossetia
Nagorno-Karabakh
Kosovo
North Kosovo
Transnistria
Turkish Cyprus

Africa

Galmudug
Maakhir
Puntland
Somaliland
Western Sahara

Asia

Bangsamoro
Eelam
Palestine

That's for starters - any others?

don't forget the Republika Sprska!

what about Taliban enclaves in Afghanistan?

Also the DRC: I strongly doubt Kinsasha actually controls all the territory to its name, but I'm not sure if anyone knows what a map would actually look like.

Thande

Donor
Also the DRC: I strongly doubt Kinsasha actually controls all the territory to its name, but I'm not sure if anyone knows what a map would actually look like.
I read in the Economist that Rwandan militias (not actually associated with the Rwandan state) control the entire northeastern third of the DR Congo. Only just over one third of the DRC's theoretical territory, in the west, is actually ruled from Kinshasa.

Is anyone able to find information regarding who really controls what in Iraq? I'm aware that Kurdistan is Kurdish-controlled, but what about the Mehdi army etc?

Thande

Donor
I like it so far, although I think some disputed states are a bit small for the usual-sized world map. Good work on DR Congo, though. I find it's utterly impossible to understand accounts of the Congo conflicts if you look at a normal map instead of one like yours, which actually shows it how it is :rolleyes:

EDIT: is Ogaden really that broken off from Addis Ababa's control?