The Talleyrand Plan

As King of North Italy- turn to the family of the First one - I believe Louis Bonaparte [ex-King of Holland] is still alive.

Francesco is just reaping what he sowed. I'm looking forward to see who will get the crown (I would frankly prefer a republic, but can understand that it would be too contentious, placed in the heartland of Norther Italy, and bordering Lombardy, Venetia and what remains of the papal states).
Just a couple of minor nitpicks:
  • it's "Parmesan", and not "Parman". Just like the cheese with the same name, which comes from Parma
  • I suggested "Cis-Padania", same as the republic created in 1796: the lands south of the Po river.. "Padania" would describe all the Po river basin, i.e. include also Piedmont, Lombardy and all Venetia west of the Adige. Quite a claim, isn't it?
I'm surprised that the pope is completely silent at this stage. Did he keep Umbria, or was his territory limited to Latium only?
Another thing: the newly-created stated borders with Two Sicilies too on the Adriatic. Another open sore: I would say that Ferdinand is also quite unhappy.

In OTL, a number of powers participated in the suppression of the 1830-34 insurrections. In TTL, France is with the good guys, and also Britain is starting to make ripples. Austria has been slapped on the wrist 9and it might have been much worse - maybe it will be much worse in the close future :D ).
Spain too sent a couple of regiments to support the pope, as Naples did. I would expect Spanish troops to be sent to Rome in TTL too. A papacy which feels betrayed by France, and let down by Austria: so it turns for support to the Bourbons.

Thanks for all those points. I'm grateful for help on Italy- my expertise is Belgium and France so a lot of this TL has come to be outside my immediate knowledge!

You're right, Cispadania is a better name. I might leave Francis as calling himself King of Padania for now, suits his egotism! But I'll make it Cispadania when it gets a new regime.

The papacy will turn to Spain I think, good point. The Pope has kept Umbria, yes- only Romagna has gone. Austria is going to be turning inwards for a bit now, and the focus events are going to shift north.

@DuQuense: thanks for the tip, but Louis-Philippe won't be having any truck with Bonapartes, unless he can appropriate them for his own interests (e.g. repatriating Napoleon's remains).

By the 23rd, the game was up. Parmesan troops were in Modena, Bolognese troops had rebelled, and Francis was on the run. Carlo Felice of Sardinia finally died not long after, after a lingering death, and Carlo Alberto was finally in power in title as well as deed. Padania (or as Austria and Sardinia insisted, Cispadania or Modena-Romagna) was not in anarchy however- Marshal Gerard declared martial law and was for the most part obeyed.

The powers that be knew that a remedy had to be found, and Leopold of Antwerp was the host of a meeting to start thrashing out some ideas. The major battle was between Prussian Prime Minister Count Lottum on one hand and Lafitte and British foreign minister Palmerston on the other, but the latter two triumphed. An agreement was reached, and machinations began, but were not revelaed until later.

But what of Francis? He couldn't go to Austria, the Papal States, Britain, Sardinia...eventually, on the 11th March, he was seen boarding a ship at Viareggio in Tuscany. Thus went Francis unto his exile, in Spain. It wasn't perfect, but it was better than being strung up by rebels.

On behalf on Louis-Philippe, Marshal Gerard took full control of the major cities and proclaimed that the country was now the Kingdom of Cispadania, and that it had a new king, agreed upon by the Great Powers, Prince Ferdinand of Oldenburg, who would take power as King Ferdinand I of Cispadania. Even better, Ferdinand and his wife Caroline were meeting with Italian liberals in France to draw up a constitution (accepting a consitution had been part of the deal to become king, even if he hadn't wanted one). He would be on his way in coming weeks. Symbolically, the new capital would not be Modena- it would be Bologna.

Much as with Otto of Greece, Ferdinand was under no obligation to become Catholic. However, there were different reasons for this. Cispadania's pioneering constitution decreed that, amongst other things, there was total freedom of religion.

Frederick Ferdinand of Oldenburg? an unexpected choice, I admit. and wiki is not very informative about him, besides the fact that he died childless. Unfortunately he's already married (assuming the fault is with his wife), so there is not even the chance of a different marriage. You must have your reasons, though.

Btw, Ancona is not in Romagna, but is the main city and port of the Marche (which I assume were also lost by the pope): from the Rubicone river along the Adriatic coast down to the Two Sicilies' border. Good deep port, and in OTL the main naval base in the Adriatic after unification. I guess it will be the case also for Cispadania. Good idea to move the capital to Bologna.

Frederick Ferdinand of Oldenburg? an unexpected choice, I admit. and wiki is not very informative about him, besides the fact that he died childless. Unfortunately he's already married (assuming the fault is with his wife), so there is not even the chance of a different marriage. You must have your reasons, though.

Btw, Ancona is not in Romagna, but is the main city and port of the Marche (which I assume were also lost by the pope): from the Rubicone river along the Adriatic coast down to the Two Sicilies' border. Good deep port, and in OTL the main naval base in the Adriatic after unification. I guess it will be the case also for Cispadania. Good idea to move the capital to Bologna.

Oops, my bad on Ancona! I think I did mention it earlier in the grand scheme of things so I hope we can just assume the Pope lost it! :) Didn't know it bordered the Two Sicilies- that could be useful later.

As for Ferdinand- he's only been married for three years at this point, so it's not necessarily a given that he'll be childless. I mean, obviously either he or Caroline WAS possibly sterile I presume, but people will assume that they won't be at this point in time. He'll adopt an heir if he doesn't have a child. But seeing as how neither the English, German or Danish wikis give me any indication as to why they never had a child, and I can't find any info elsewhere, it's probably not too much of a liberty to allow them a child. It's going to have some interesting butterflies if it's a boy (if it's a girl, the OTL Danish succession will doubtless continue, the daughter remaining queen of Cispadania).

In Britain, the return of so many volunteers from the International Brigade gave renewed vigour to the movement for the Reform Act. Earl Grey pleaded for the passage of the Reform Act on its 2nd attempt, but it was defeated in the Lords. William IV was deeply unimpressed with the Tories, and was concerned that the presence of so many agitated men could do no good unless they were calmed down-after all, that many arm-strained men on the streets, leading mobs, was a scary thought. He warned Wellington, considered Tory leader in Parliament, that he would either dissolve Parliament or pack the Lords with Whig peers. Wellington refused to back down. Meanwhile, in the famous "Days of April", there was violence across the country as working men and bourgeoisie alike attacked symbols of power, notably at Derby and Nottingham.

On the 14th April, William selected a new group of peers, partly on Grey's advice. Some of them were deliberately antagonistic choices (especially the fiery Henry Hunt, MP for Preston, and famously Wellington's enemy at Peterloo). Now Grey could go ahead and try the act again. And he did so. It passed the Commons, then the Lords. And once it was done, Grey announced a General Election for mid-June. Wellington had been finally broken. And Britain had a new franchise.

The news spread like wildfire. This, and the new constitution in Cispadania, became an inspiration to liberals across Europe. All eyes were on the Cispadanian elections in late April.

These elections were intriguing and went off successfully. The new Prime Minister was the liberal activist Manfredo Fanti, a native of Romagna. His Cabinet included several people not originally from the region, who had come to fight and had been handed immediate citizenship. Prime amongst these was the Pole Josef Chlopicki, who became Interior Minister, displaying an impressive command of Italian after nearly a year of being there.

On the 14th April, William selected a new group of peers, partly on Grey's advice. Some of them were deliberately antagonistic choices (especially the fiery Henry Hunt, MP for Preston, and famously Wellington's enemy at Peterloo). Now Grey could go ahead and try the act again. And he did so. It passed the Commons, then the Lords. And once it was done, Grey announced a General Election for mid-June. Wellington had been finally broken. And Britain had a new franchise.

:eek: ouch :eek: keep it up :)

Great post, steve. I love how things are developing, both in Italy and in Europe (btw, is not also the case of mentioning that the duke of Brunswick has been replaced by his brother, who grants the constitution? it happened in OTL, and it is quite in line with TTL).

I've a couple of nitpicks, though (hope you don't mind):
  • Manfredo Fanti, born in 1806, and just recently licensed by the military academy, looks a bit young to become prime minister. Put him in the government, by all means, but not as premier. Minister for Public Works?
  • May I suggest Enrico Misley? a solicitor born in Modena, part and parcel of the conspiracy set up by Francesco IV, and friend of Ciro Menotti. Same as many of the liberals of this time, his image is a bit tarnished by his frequentations of the duke. However he has two major advantages: he's well known in Paris (where he resided for a few years, to canvas for the revolution) and London; and he's a mason, which in this time and age is another big plus. He should be forty-ish at this time, so young but not too much for a premiership
  • General Chlopicki is a good choice. Maybe I'd have seen him better as Minister of War, rather than Minister of Interior. It's a matter of opinions.

I'll forgive another minor POD to give Ferdinand and Caroline a heir or two. Maybe the Italian climate will be more agreable to the new queen, maybe Ferdinand will be excited by the new crown :D

Well done for the events in GB. Never liked Wellington too much as a politician. The Iron Duke, by all means :mad:

Great post, steve. I love how things are developing, both in Italy and in Europe (btw, is not also the case of mentioning that the duke of Brunswick has been replaced by his brother, who grants the constitution? it happened in OTL, and it is quite in line with TTL).

I've a couple of nitpicks, though (hope you don't mind):
  • Manfredo Fanti, born in 1806, and just recently licensed by the military academy, looks a bit young to become prime minister. Put him in the government, by all means, but not as premier. Minister for Public Works?
  • May I suggest Enrico Misley? a solicitor born in Modena, part and parcel of the conspiracy set up by Francesco IV, and friend of Ciro Menotti. Same as many of the liberals of this time, his image is a bit tarnished by his frequentations of the duke. However he has two major advantages: he's well known in Paris (where he resided for a few years, to canvas for the revolution) and London; and he's a mason, which in this time and age is another big plus. He should be forty-ish at this time, so young but not too much for a premiership
  • General Chlopicki is a good choice. Maybe I'd have seen him better as Minister of War, rather than Minister of Interior. It's a matter of opinions.
I'll forgive another minor POD to give Ferdinand and Caroline a heir or two. Maybe the Italian climate will be more agreable to the new queen, maybe Ferdinand will be excited by the new crown :D

Well done for the events in GB. Never liked Wellington too much as a politician. The Iron Duke, by all means :mad:

Thanks very much! I'll go with Misley then- do you have any dates for him so I can get a good idea of how long he will serve his purpose for?

I've gone for Chlopicki in Interior as I'm sure after years of fighting in Poland and Italy he'll want a break! Plus, for now, the military of Cispadania is being formed properly and the French remain responsible for its security.

I'm glad the GB events are going down well with you and with Jammy. Expect a definite switch of focus to the north for a bit- France in particular will be more important as time goes by.

Grey was triumphant. Wellington had been broken forever, and the Tories looked to Lord Lyndhurst to lead them. He didn't want the position that much, so he agreed to take it up until the election, and then hand over to Sir Robert Peel, the rising star, and one-time favourite of Wellington.

The June elections were a disaster for the Tories. The Whigs won 426 seats, the Tories 176, the Popular Party 14, and Daniel O'Connell's Irish Repeal won 42. In this, the first Parliament elected under the new Reform Act, there was an influx of new faces and bourgeoisie. In Preston, Lord Hunt's old seat was taken by the returning volunteer leader John Frost, standing under the banner of the Popular Party, a party centred mainly around the abolition of the Corn Laws. Indeed, the Corn Laws would soon come under pressure. Grey was invited once again to kiss hands, and to form a government. Peel took control of the Tories, and began to rebuild them, under their new name of the Conservatives.

In Prussia, all had not gone unnoticed. Discontent had been simmering. Now, it was going to boil over. Disturbances began in the Rhineland and spread. On the 14th July, anniversary of the storming of the Bastille, a mob in Cologne attacked the Prussian garrison. Over the next few days, Prussian soldiers were lynched at Cologne, Aachen, Liege, Verviers, Huy, Eupen, Welkenraedt and Dusseldorf. Count Lottum ordered the other garrisons in the Rhine Provinces to suppress the revolt, but then something more threatening occured: another uprising in Poland.

The revolts in the Rhine garnered a lot of covert support. As had happened in Cispadania, volunteers began to head there, but in relatively small numbers. In addition, both France and the Netherlands began to covertly arm the insurgents.

Enrico Misley was born in Modena in 1792, and died in 1863.
Got his notoriety by defending the fremason grand-master in 1826, was always a liberal, but he's accused to have been a confident of Francesco IV.
Was part of the Este conspiracy, and friend of Menotti. Well known in paris and london, free mason. When Menotti was arrested he was in paris, canvassing Louis Philippe for help. This saved his life (condemned to death in absence). After the failure of the insurrections, he disappeared in obscurity.

In TTL he might get a new lease in life: the guy was not a genius, but quite smart, and politically wise.

Another tidbit that might be of interest: the young Camillo Benso count of Cavour resigns in 1832 from the Piedmontese army, and goes for a gran tour of Europe (he speaks better French than Italian, btw). In OTL he had a great time, knew a lot of people who were influential and would be helpful later in his life, and got a strong interest in modern agricultural techniques, railroads and industry. Plus champagne and femmes, ca va sans dire. In TTL, it should be the same in spades. Maybe when he decides to go back to Italy (he stayed around 4 years, talk about having some pocket change) he might decide that Cispadania is a better proposition than musty Piedmont (hint, hint :D ) PS: Camillo was a freemason too.

Last edited:
Enrico Misley was born in Modena in 1796, and died in 1863.
Got his notoriety by defending the fremason grand-master in 1826, was always a liberal, but he's accused to have been a confident of Francesco IV.
Was part of the Este conspiracy, and friend of Menotti. Well known in paris and london, free mason. When Menotti was arrested he was in paris, canvassing Louis Philippe for help. This saved his life (condemned to death in absence). After the failure of the insurrections, he disappeared in obscurity.

In TTL he might get a new lease in life: the guy was not a genius, but quite smart, and politically wise.

Another tidbit that might be of interest: the young Camillo Benso count of Cavour resigns in 1832 from the Piedmontese army, and goes for a gran tour of Europe (he speaks better French than Italian, btw). In OTL he had a great time, knew a lot of people who were influential and would be helpful later in his life, and got a strong interest in modern agricultural techniques, railroads and industry. Plus champagne and femmes, ca va sans dire. In TTL, it should be the same in spades. Maybe when he decides to go back to Italy (he stayed around 4 years, talk about having some pocket change) he might decide that Cispadania is a better proposition than musty Piedmont (hint, hint :D ) PS: Camillo was a freemason too.

I think I can feel the weight of hinting- I was wondering what Cavour would do in this TL, I think you've just solved the problem! :)

I'll use Misley- many thanks for that.

As for Ferdinand- he's only been married for three years at this point, so it's not necessarily a given that he'll be childless. I mean, obviously either he or Caroline WAS possibly sterile I presume, but people will assume that they won't be at this point in time. He'll adopt an heir if he doesn't have a child. But seeing as how neither the English, German or Danish wikis give me any indication as to why they never had a child, and I can't find any info elsewhere, it's probably not too much of a liberty to allow them a child. It's going to have some interesting butterflies if it's a boy (if it's a girl, the OTL Danish succession will doubtless continue, the daughter remaining queen of Cispadania).

Have a look at http://www.kvinfo.dk/side/597/bio/589/origin/170/query/caroline/
Possibly Caroline was the sterile, but it doesn't need be. Ferdinand is related to have had to illegitime children - so he could have more. Caroline was scarred in the face due to a fire 1830. So perhaps going south could make the couple come closer or Ferdinand father more children and legitimize one of proper descend...

Last edited:
Have a look at http://www.kvinfo.dk/side/597/bio/589/origin/170/query/caroline/
Possibly Caroline was the sterile, but it doesn't need be. Ferdinand is related to have had to illegitime children - so he could have more. Caroline was scarred in the face due to a fire 1830. So perhaps going south could make the couple come closer or Ferdinand father more children and legitimize one of proper descend...

Thanks for that, I think I got the gist of the link (I haven't been in Denmark for a few years so my basic reading ability in the language has suffered!)

I'm thinking that, considering this TL began in 1830, whether or not we could butterfly the fire out. That would help as well. But many thanks for that.

The Prussians came down hard, and brutally. In Poland, where the rebels were weakened by the ending of a revolt not so long ago, there were mass hangings. In Cologne, 27 rebels were chained and drowned in the Rhine. In Liege, at the Place des Franchises (symbol of Liege's democratic past), French-speaking rebels were guillotined. By the end of September, most of the revolt had been crushed, but guerilla activities continued for a long time yet.

Still, it had been trying for Friedrich Wilhelm III. He knew now that his reactionary policies couldn't go on forever: Europe was changing, France and Britain were showing a worrying liberalism, reactionary Austria had just been humiliated, liberal Cispadania had become a byword for liberalism. To this end, on the 4th October 1832, he dismissed the discredited Count Lottum as Prime Minister and replaced him with a liberal, Friedrich Ancillon. Ancillon immediately set about trying to work out how to pacify Prussia, this time with a carrot rather than a stick.

Thanks for that, I think I got the gist of the link (I haven't been in Denmark for a few years so my basic reading ability in the language has suffered!)

I'm thinking that, considering this TL began in 1830, whether or not we could butterfly the fire out. That would help as well. But many thanks for that.

Ok - the article in brief:
Caroline had an upbringing as usual for her descend with a broad but not in dept education by private teachers. 1812 she was engaged to her relative Christian of Hesse. He died 2 years later being mentally disturbed. 1829 she was married to Ferdinand, the king Frederik 6. half-cousin and younger brother of the later Christian 8. The marriage was to unite the two lines of the royal house in regard to the succession. Ferdinand was no intellectual being an officer leading a bachelors life with two illegimate children and a bad financial situation. Caroline was no brigth light and no beauty, her face being scarred due to a fire in 1830.

The childless marriage developed to an acceptable level for both parties. An officers rutine life in the courts second line. They lived in a house bought and renovated by king Frederik 6. In the early years Caroline accompagnied her husband during his travels of inspection being a fine rider. She would tolerate Ferdinands many erotic escapades og constant lack of money by being brisk and loyal and the strong part of the relationship. As the years passed by she fell behind the time living in memory of Papa's time. The couple earned the love of the peoples by staying put in Copenhagen during the Cholera epidemic of 1853.

After the passing of Ferdinand 1863 Caroline continued her routine, stone-deaf and lonely. But she held her head up high and continued to pay the debts left over by her husband.

Should give you some ideas!
In Borger i voldenes København it is mentioned that the couple often walked the ramparts of Copenhagen city walls in the evening in compagny of the Copenhagen bourgoisie. They were popular in part due to the scandal of the kings, Frederik 7., marriage to countess Danner.
A good choise - whatever happens they'd stay put to support their peoples, keep up appearances, could have children when living in a kind of isolation in Italy, especially Caroline would live in the memory of times past. Ferdinand would love to have his own army and to go on manouvres. Caroline would look to that finances will (hopefully) keep pace with Ferdinands extravaganzes.
Looking forward to coming installments.

Last edited:
Looks very promising. By all means, butterfy away the fire and the scarring of the queen. IMHO, these two are what Cispadania needed to forget the times of francesco IV and the papal rule in Bologna and Romagna. If the new king cannot stop chasing skirts, it's no big issue. Everything will be forgiven.

Thanks very much to both of you, getting some good ideas here. Shame it's a shared pc otherwise I'd do some maps! I might do some in a few months though when I get chance.

Cispadania was doing extremely well. It had mostly settled down, the new limited-franchise democracy and the general good-will of King Ferdinand. The economy was in great shape as well. A naval base near Ancona had been let out to Britain at favourable rates as a reward for British help in forming the new country, and a free-trade agreement with France was seeing a mini-boom. From Modena to Rimini, Cispadania was getting onto her feet, the new liberal economic climate helping to unite the disparate regions: Romagna, Modena, Reggio, northern Marche.

Ferdinand was fascinated by the new air of modernism. Although he had few powers, his influence was still strong, and he was well-respected. On his advice, in November 1832, surveying began for a railway line from Bologna to Forli, which would be the first Continental railway system if built (in the end, Leopold of Antwerp's line from Antwerp to Mechelen was the first). Danish settlers followed him as well, notably setting up in the dairy industry. To the Pope's powerless distaste, he was also followed by Danish Lutheran missionaries, who saw a chance to make some converts under the Pope's nose.

Cispadania's foreign policy was slowly taking shape. Parochial in nature, it was helped by the goodwill of both Britain and France. An alliance and free trade agreement were struck up with Duke Frederick of Lucca. Relations with the Pope and Austria were strained, but for now that didn't matter.

As Europe settled for now, attention moved east, to the turbulence of Egypt and the Ottoman Empire...

Cispadania was doing extremely well. It had mostly settled down, the new limited-franchise democracy and the general good-will of King Ferdinand. The economy was in great shape as well. A naval base near Ancona had been let out to Britain at favourable rates as a reward for British help in forming the new country, and a free-trade agreement with France was seeing a mini-boom. From Modena to Rimini, Cispadania was getting onto her feet, the new liberal economic climate helping to unite the disparate regions: Romagna, Modena, Reggio, northern Marche.

Ferdinand was fascinated by the new air of modernism. Although he had few powers, his influence was still strong, and he was well-respected. On his advice, in November 1832, surveying began for a railway line from Bologna to Forli, which would be the first Continental railway system if built (in the end, Leopold of Antwerp's line from Antwerp to Mechelen was the first). Danish settlers followed him as well, notably setting up in the dairy industry. To the Pope's powerless distaste, he was also followed by Danish Lutheran missionaries, who saw a chance to make some converts under the Pope's nose.

Cispadania's foreign policy was slowly taking shape. Parochial in nature, it was helped by the goodwill of both Britain and France. An alliance and free trade agreement were struck up with Duke Frederick of Lucca. Relations with the Pope and Austria were strained, but for now that didn't matter.

As Europe settled for now, attention moved east, to the turbulence of Egypt and the Ottoman Empire...

Very good installment. Really like it about the Danish settlers - a nice touch. The Lutheran missionaries another one.
1831 did the state council decide to keep Denmark a united state and to use the proposed installment of the Estates of the Realm in each part of it - Holstein, Sleswig and the Kingdom - to demonstrate the unity. Germany wanted the Estates installed in Holstein to segregate it from the Kingdom.
Denmark had its liberal breakthrough in 1834/5 - with impulses from Cispadania it might accelerate just a wee bit. It might not matter, but never the less. The accession of Ferdinand to the throne might cause some interest in Denmark into Italian matters. There already were with Danish artists going there to study and work, but it could make more of a spin off.
Denmark and Britain had for some years fought the Ashanti on the Gold Coast - that might be some relations to lean on for Cispadania's king.