The Talleyrand Plan

Rockingham

Banned
When Frederick Wilhelm III received the letter on the 30th March 1836, he himself felt somewhat relieved. It put him in a position of strength, and to boot meant he could save some face. In the east, the Poles were still proving to be difficult customers. On consultation with his advisors, he prepared a response. It demanded the following:

-That all French troops retreat from Liege.
-That France accept all the deported Francophones of Vise and Verviers.
-That France pay reparations equivalent to £3 million.
3 million? I don't really have a relative understanding of this matter....would that be a similar blow to the reparations of OTL Franco-Prussian war?

High time you came back to TTL!!!! :)

I see you knitting back the loose ends in the Northern war, but thereis no news about Italy. I find it hard to beleve that - with Austria in a nice stinking mess - the Intermarians will not fire up something in Lombardy and Veneto

High time you came back to TTL!!!! :)

I see you knitting back the loose ends in the Northern war, but thereis no news about Italy. I find it hard to beleve that - with Austria in a nice stinking mess - the Intermarians will not fire up something in Lombardy and Veneto

There's going to be covert activity, but Intermaria is struggling to digest its massive acquisitions (i.e. Genoa and Tuscany). And it's geared up for its attack on Tunis, and would prefer to be ready for that rather than get dragged into a war with its northern neighbour. Especially as Piedmont might decide to join the Austrians if that happened.

There's going to be covert activity, but Intermaria is struggling to digest its massive acquisitions (i.e. Genoa and Tuscany). And it's geared up for its attack on Tunis, and would prefer to be ready for that rather than get dragged into a war with its northern neighbour. Especially as Piedmont might decide to join the Austrians if that happened.

All true, but:
  • Austrian troubles are a strong magnet
  • strategically, Intermaria has a weak long border with Lombardy-Veneto, and they must be conscious that this is a good opportunity to shorten it (or better)
  • do you really think that Piedmont is in a shape to move again aggressively? IOTL, the 1830s were the nadir of Carlo Alberto popularity, and there were a number of insurrections and Carbonari plots in the kingdom. TTL, his position is even weaker, since he's lost a bloody war (not to mention Genoa and eastern Liguria) and there is a much stronger liberal mood in the air
  • there is always a very high likelyhood that Milan and/or Venice will spontaneously (or "spontaneously") raise against the Austrians. Not supporting them would be a political suicide for the Intermarian government
  • Tunis is mostly a naval (and merchantile) venture. BTW, with Soult in a weak position and Austria having to cope with the Hungarian insurrection there should be no one arguing against an Intermarian intervention. Ferdinand of naples should also be pushing for this quite strongly

However, I'll leave up to you to roll the dice. Nice having you back ITTL and merry Xmas

PS: just a thought that came through my mind en passant. The mid-1830s are a troubled period in the Swiss Confederation too. I do wonder if Carlo Alberto makes a stupid move we might not end with a Swiss Savoy (again taking into account French weakness)

PS: just a thought that came through my mind en passant. The mid-1830s are a troubled period in the Swiss Confederation too. I do wonder if Carlo Alberto makes a stupid move we might not end with a Swiss Savoy (again taking into account French weakness)

Now THAT is an intriguing idea....

On the 7th April 1836, Soult received Frederick Wilhelm III's demands. He was willing to accept. He told Godefroi de Cavaignac to prepare the reply and had it sent that very afternoon. Then, with his wife Jeanne already at Le Havre, he slipped out of the Tuileries and headed north himself, with naturally some state loot to help him. He was too much the master tactician to not realise that he was losing control: best to relinquish it before he lost it all.

Cavaignac did as he was told. At 8 o'clock, having dispatched the letter an hour earlier, he went to speak with Soult. But Soult was not there. A letter had been left with a footman for him. Cavaignac's face went white. It told him to prepare the groundwork for a handover of power to a proper Republic, preferably democratic. In the meantime, Godefroi de Cavaignac was the head of the French State.

In an unusual move on the 8th April 1836, Enrico Misley co-ordinated a meeting of all the royal heads and chief ministers of Intermaria at Modena. With the French and Austrians in disarray, he said, it was time to make a grab for further territory. After all, who would be in a position to stop them?

To this end, he told them, he had been holding discussions with the Swiss government. He was convinced that Intermaria could strike now and dominate the peninsula. The monarchs were confused: an attack on Austria? Regardless of Austria's troubles, they felt unready to attack. Misley had an even more surprising response.

"No. We have made plans to jointly remove Carlo Alberto of Piedmont, and split his lands up between us. I hope that Your Majesties will examine the plans and approve them".

Hehe.
This is going to disrupt Switzerland's development into the neutral state it is today, and by disrupt, I mean make it all but impossible for Switzerland to assume that role.
Which doesn't change the hehe.