The Shaved Tuna Award For Best AH List: Introduction and Nominations

Japhy

Banned
In the past year, the Alternate History community has seen the massive growth of our own subgenre as a means of presenting works of Alternate History. That of course is, to take the name from the niche’s de facto core thread “PMs and President Lists”. The elegant yet simplistic work that is simply lining all of one’s ducks in a row and weaving all of the Chiefs of State, Monarchs, Legislative leaders, or Sub-National Unit officials, and really just about anything else. Some lists are colored, some have essays in the footnotes, some go into the future, some may cover only a decade or less in the past. But all of them tell stories. And since this time last year, the quality, quantity and community that produces these lists have all gone up enormously.

And so it has been decided, between varied members of the AH List community and myself, in discussions, that the right thing to do, to commemorate this growth, is to create an award for Best AH List. And this is that. A celebration of our little sub-sets triumphs and great works. But we don’t want it limited to just people who partake in Lists already, so please if this is your first time with this sort of thing, dive in, read what we’re going to be talking about here and when the time comes vote.

And since I’m not very good at this kind of writing, I’ll cut it at that. Please read the following guidelines and then, well let the 1st Shaved Tuna Award for Best AH List begin.

-Japhy & (Theoretically) The Shaved Tuna Award Committee, unless they disagree with what I’m saying.

THE RULES

1) Please arrange the nomination as follows:

Name of Author, Title of List / Descriptive Title of work (with Hypertext Link to Individual Post), Title of Thread it was submitted from.

If the work doesn’t have a title simply provide a brief title which gives an idea of what the work is (Examples: “Barry Goldwater: 1980”, “British Elections without WWII”, “Fascist New Zealand”, “Future Canadian Supreme Court Justices for Japhy’s: ‘Bob Lee’s Body’”)

2) Nominations need to be seconded!

If someone makes a nomination of an authors work, that nomination must be seconded to count as a submission for the vote. For ease of tracking, any post seconding a previous nomination *must* quote the original nomination post.

3) You can not self-nominate.

Its that simple, I would also ask that you not try to push someone else into nominating and seconding your own works for you as thats kind of not cool. This is a discussion amongst peers about what the best timeline is so lets make sure they’re the best and not just the one you made you liked the most.

4) Each Author can only have one submission.

By which I mean that when it comes time to the vote, an author can have 20 timelines nominated, only one will be in the poll. If an author is nominated for multiple works, the author has the right to select which of the nominated works will be picked for the poll.

5) All submissions must meet the following Criteria:

--The List must have been posted any time between May 1st 2012 and This Date and time 01:09 AM (Eastern US Standard Time), May 9th, 2013
--Timelines can be Based on any period of history, or the future, they can be made of original content, published or web-based AH. They can also be use historical or living persons or fictional people, they can contain any any list of leaders, Executive, Legislative, Judicial, or Royal. List must contain names of the individual holding the post at any one time. Basicly, they can be anything. Tone doesn’t matter, coloration doesn’t matter, formatting doesn’t matter. Hell I’m reserving here the right (Based on the discussions that helped lead to the creation of this contest) to create a second category besides “Best Timeline” for “Funniest Timeline” or “Most Amusing” or whatever, but I’d like to hear general feedback on that first.

-- List has, in exception to authors of original content on which the list may be based, no more than two creators.

7) Voting will begin in one week from this moment*.

All submissions must be submitted and seconded by then.

And having read all that, enjoy the contest, the lists and the discussion one hopes will follow. :)

[Picture of Award will Go here when there's an award]​

Last edited:

Japhy

Banned

Japhy

Banned
So that is so far, one nomination seconded.

Now is the issue simply one that people aren't submitting things because they want to self-nominate? Because we can discuss that sort of thing, I'll admit to having just modified the rules from an award on another site I used to go to.

The intent was to get things that were popularly appreciated as a good list to be the nominees, but if people feel that this is as one person noted "too draconian" I'm willing to change things, it is after all the first time we've done something like this.

d32123

Banned
I will nominate a few once I have time to look through the list thread and remember the names of some of my favorites.

I will nominate some options later today. Need to go through some posters' greatest hits.

I support you on the matter of a second category for funny/eccentric timelines. As nation swaps got so successful, a 'Best Nation Swap List' category might be a good idea too.

Japhy

Banned
Seconding.

Sincere apologies, I have a tendency to miss some sentences while reading.

Not a problem, Its just about ease of tracking nominations.

Due to the sort of slow start we have had with nominations and due to the fact that things are picking up, I think that we have good grounds to extend the nomination period, thoughts from anyone?

Two questions: Can the date be more flexible as this is the first one, and can we nominate lists authored by multiple writers as in the British PMs 1945-2010 thread (and does the "you can't nominate yourself" rule still apply in those circumstances)?