The saviour of Anne Boleyn (16th century timeline/story)

April 1536

Deleted member 96349

It was late April 1536 and Queen Anne was finally well enough, and able to find the time, to take a stroll in the gardens with her brother’s wife, Jane Rochford, with only a couple of noble ladies following them at a distance.
She’d suffered a bit of illness after her miscarriage in January, with fevers lasting for weeks with only a few breaks, and a horribly swollen body. She was even sure she had felt something move inside of her, but the Doctor reassured her that she had simply imagined it, so she tried to ignore the movements when she felt them.
Doctor Butts seemed to think that she had suffered from some kind of infection, but luckily it was over now.
She still had that swollen body though, and it was more than annoying, especially since the only clothes that sat comfortable on her were her pregnancy dresses, and that was more depressing than it should be.

She’d also been terribly stressed lately, with her husband the King spending more and more time with the Seymours, and less time with her and her family. It didn’t help that Master Cromwell was doing his best to diminish her influence with her husband, and she herself trying her best to diminish his. To her displeasure it seemed that Cromwell was the one her husband listened to, as she was aware that the money from the monasteries was not spent helping the poor of England as she wanted, but instead used to fill up the treasury. And no doubt Cromwell’s pockets as well, she thought to herself.
Could her husband not see that the people of England would be more welcoming of their escape from the corrupted clutches of Rome if they used the wealth of the Church to help the poor? She wished she could do more, but at the moment she was afraid to speak of anything political to King, after his bad reaction to the sermon she had had her almoner preach earlier this month. In retrospect she realised it might not have been such a good idea to attack Cromwell so publicly, but at the time she had thought so, and Mr.Skip had agreed and been more than willing to do her bidding.
The poor man had been interrogated for his troubles, and Anne swore to herself that she would be more cautious in the future.

Her thought’s were interrupted by a sharp, painful motion in her abdomen, and she couldn’t help but release a gasp and fall to her knees, clutching her stomach.
«Your Majesty?» Jane exclaimed before sitting down beside her, they had been walking in silence for a while now, so the Queen’s sudden action was a bit of a shock
Anne was about to answer, when she felt the same motion again, this time behind her ribs. She was able to recognise the motion this time, it was the kicks of a babe, and a strong one at that. She had been pregnant three times, so she was pretty sure she was right, but that didn't make any sense, her bed hadn’t been visited by her husband since last year. She wasn’t sure how to react to these news, so her body did the reacting for her and promptly fainted.

~~~

King Henry was pacing the floor outside his wife’s chamber, he had just sent in his trusted physician, Doctor Butts, to figure out what was happening to her. He was quite annoyed at his wife's timing, since his order to have Master Cromwell ‟investigate‟ the Queen’s behaviour had started bearing fruit, but of course it was typical of Anne to ruin his plans by getting ill, it wouldn’t be proper to arrest a bedridden woman after all.
Anne’s family was standing in the corridor with him, talking quietly among themselves while waiting for the physician, they seemed to be worried about Anne, so Henry guessed that they were as much in the dark about what was ailing her as he was.

The doors opened, and Doctor Butts stepped out with a worried expression on his face, the doctor stopped before him and bowed deeply
«Now? Did you find out what’s bothering Her Majesty» Henry demanded, while gesturing for him to stand straight.
«Yes, Your Majesty. It seems Her Majesty is with child» Doctor Butts explained «She seems to be almost seven months along, the babe being the twin of the one she lost in January»
«A child? You are sure about that?» Henry was not quite sure what he was currently feeling, on one hand he did need a son, so a pregnancy was a welcome sign, but on the other hand Anne had lost two of his sons already, and he couldn’t trust her not to lose this one. It would almost have been better if he could have gotten rid of her as planned and married his sweet Jane, she would never lose his sons, he was sure of that. Jane was of sturdier stock, not as skinny and small-hipped as his wife.
«I am very sure, Your Majesty, I felt the child kick myself. It seems the small movements Her Majesty had complained to me about during her illness had been the motions of her child» Doctor Butts hesitated a bit before he continued «If I may suggest something? It might be best for Her Majesty if she stayed in bed until her confinement, because of the hardships earlier in this pregnancy»
«What a good suggestion, Doctor Butts» Henry smiled, an idea forming in his mind
Henry said his farewells to Doctor Butts, and the Boleyn’s, and left to find Jane. Anne would stay away from court life until she either gave birth or miscarried, and Henry was planning to spend those months courting his lovely Jane.

~~~

The POD is in September 1535, with Anne conceiving twins instead of one child. She miscarried one baby in January 1536 as in OTL, but because of her illness no one noticed that she was still pregnant. They all thought her swollen body was because of the illness, and Anne ignored the other pregnancy symptoms because she was told she was imagining them, and because she herself thought it was because of how stressed she was.
So we're now in late April 1536, Henry is tired of Anne and has begun planning her downfall with Thomas Cromwell, and the discovery of her pregnancy puts those plans on hold for a bit, but if she miscarries or gives birth to a girl they would still carry through with those plans.
This is my first timeline, so corrections are welcome if you see an error or two. English is my second language so I know I mess up the grammar sometimes, and accidentally uses both present and past tenses in the same sentence.
Thank you @desmirelle for helping me out

Anne bearing a son is always fun, and with a pregnancy this late, it sure messes up Cromwell's plans.

Although, how besotted was Henry with "sweet Jane" at this point? I know he'd written her a letter requesting her to become his mistress (same as he'd propositioned Anne - old dogs new tricks and all that), and when it was delivered, she kissed it and requested that the king should keep it until she was to make a good marriage.

Now, Cromwell's hands are sorta tied, I can't remember if Henry's row with him over the Spanish ambassador's request had happened or not yet, but to attempt to depose a queen with no heir is very different to trying to get rid of a queen who is pregnant/borne a living son.

That said, Henry's on firmer footing with the Spanish ambassador (since he's finally got Anne's acknowledgement from Chapuys (and thus Karl V)) through the little incident on the steps at Greenwich's chapel royal were Chapuys was forced to yield to Anne as she passed him in the narrow confines.

Wonder if a son will augur better for more than just Anne? She hates Mary, but that girl can be brought round or married off. Plus I wonder if Cromwell's execution spree (the lords beheaded alongside Anne apparently made the headsman weep by the time he got to the third or fourth one).

This is a really interesting idea.

Henry wanting to get rid of Anne but may be stuck with her if she gives birth to a boy (which from the title i guess she will).

I'll watch this with great interest.

Deleted member 96349

Although, how besotted was Henry with "sweet Jane" at this point? I know he'd written her a letter requesting her to become his mistress (same as he'd propositioned Anne - old dogs new tricks and all that), and when it was delivered, she kissed it and requested that the king should keep it until she was to make a good marriage.

In April Henry would have been "in love" with Jane for months already, as their romance could have started anywhere between September 1535 to February 1536.
Her brother Edward had recently gotten rooms at court which was connected with the King's through secret passages, so Henry could now court Jane in "secret".

Out of curiosity, who's this Dr. Butts? I was under the impression Henry's physician was Dr. Linacre (?), or is he dead by now?

EDIT: Found out Linacre's been dead since 1524, and Butts was knighted in the 1540s. I wonder if he'll get knighted sooner this go-around, if he delivers a healthy boy? Also, who would be the accoucheur? Jane Seymour apparently got George Owen, but the doctor who delivered Elizabeth (Dr. John Chambers/Chambre) is the same one who (with Butts and Owen) performed the fatal caesarean on Jane, so I would try and avoid him for Anne. Ferdinand de Victoria's out - he's Spanish and close to CoA through his wife (one of her ladies); Edward Wooton's possible but IDK where he was in 1536; Agostino de Angustini is out since he was Wolsey's doctor. Chambre not only had a problem with Henry's break with Rome, but also only signed the Act of Conformity pretty late. Walter Cromar only became a doctor in 1541. Other irregulars who were on scene at the time were Brasavola (professor at Ferrara from 1536 until the 1550s), Yaxley (who is only recorded in 1518) and William Bullein (who served as a nurse, not a doctor (since he only became a doctor in 1551, but was never admitted to the Royal College of Physicians)

Last edited:
Linacre died in 1524. Dr William Butts died in 1545; don't remember who took his spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Linacre died in 1524. Dr William Butts died in 1545; don't remember who took his spot.

Thanks. What about Andrew Boorde? He was an irregular to the king, who came to the king's attention in 1530, he was the duke of Norfolk's physician in ordinary. He took the Oath of Conformity in 1534, plus he's not only close to Anne's uncle, but he's friends with Cromwell too. But in 1536, he's in Glasgow, as a sort of undercover spy for Cromwell, reporting on the Scottish activities.

Deleted member 96349

@Kellan Sullivan This William Bullein you mentioned, would it be possible for him to be a distant relation to the Boleyns? Or have little enough known about him so that could be a possibility? Because if we have him be a distant relation, then he might get some help up the ladder.

@Kellan Sullivan This William Bullein you mentioned, would it be possible for him to be a distant relation to the Boleyns? Or have little enough known about him so that could be a possibility? Because if we have him be a distant relation, then he might get some help up the ladder.

According to Bullein's wikipedia article, he'd only be around 20 in 1536, so I think he'd be considered a bit young, even if he'd gone to varsity at about 12 or so. However, he could have been linked to the Boleyns since according to Elizabeth Fardell's book The Royal Doctors, 1485-1714: Medical Personnel at the Tudor and Stuart Courts he was something of something to Henry Carey, 1st Baron Hunsdon (the reported bastard child of Mary Boleyn and Henry VIII), even going so far as to dedicate one of his works to him.

June 20th 1536

Deleted member 96349

June 20th

King Henry was in an unusually good mood, he had just gotten news from Lady Rochford that Anne’s labour had started, and Mistress Seymour, his dear Jane, had become so pleased on his behalf the she had let him kiss her pretty duckies once they were alone. She had been a constant by his side this last month, she would walk with him, sing for him, and care for him when his leg ached, and he didn’t want that to change no matter what happened with Anne.
He’d created Jane’s father, Sir John Seymour, 1st Baron of Sudeley for his loyal service to the crown, and given him a townhouse in London. Jane had been so happy when he had ennobled her father that she had passionately kissed him in a darkened corridor and later given him a beautifully embroidered shirt.
He’d considered bedding her more than once, but Jane was so pure that he hadn’t dared yet, not until he knew for sure that he could no longer marry her.
Henry looked up from the card game they were currently playing to look at Jane, who sat at the other side of the table.
«Sweetheart, how would you feel about joining me on a hunt? Your brothers would join us of course» He smiled at her when she gave him a demure nod, and gave her a quick kiss before sending a page to find the Seymour brothers, there was no reason to keep waiting in the palace for a baby that might not come after all.

~~~

Thomas Boleyn, Earl of Ormond and Wiltshire, had never been as worried as he was at this moment. He had seen how the court had slowly turned against him and his children, and he knew that this was the last chance for Anne to give the King the son he wanted. The king was infatuated with that old maid, Jane Seymour, and had been so for several months, Thomas did not doubt that if Anne failed that Mistress Seymour would take her place in no time. He could honestly not see what the king saw in her, she was only a year younger than Anne, so it wasn’t youth, she was plain faced and not the most graceful, she was also uneducated and a bit simple, so no match to his daughter at all. Anne had been favoured by royals since childhood, she had grown up at the French Court, she shared classrooms with royal children, she simply was the perfect Lady, and to see a country mouse favoured over her was more than confusing.
Thomas was currently waiting outside of his daughter’s rooms, his son George was waiting with him. Both of their wives were inside with Anne, and he could trust Elizabeth to send a message if something happened, no matter if the news was good or bad.
He looked over at his son and saw that he was worried as well, which was not surprising as George had always been close to Anne, and had been her loyal protector since childhood. Thomas would never forget that time one of his servants has dared to kiss Anne and try to take liberties with her, if not for George rushing to his sister’s aid Anne would have been ruined. He should never have let that servant leave his household alive, but at the time he only wanted to brush the incident under the rug. How could he have know that the fiend would go around claiming to have succeeded in raping Anne? Luckily no one seemed to have believed him, and the matter was soon forgotten. Thomas had never forgotten though, and once he was an Earl he had discreetly gotten rid of the would-be-rapist, no one who mattered would ever miss him after all.

«My Lord!» Thomas looked at the young maid who had called «My Lord, Her Majesty is crowning, she will give birth any moment now!» The maid gave a quick courtesy before she returned to the Queen’s chamber.
Thomas sent his son to find a page who could deliver the news to the Kings, while he himself stayed put. It didn’t take long before George returned to his side, with a few courtiers following him, among them Master Cromwell. Thomas Boleyn gave the man a quick nod, which Cromwell returned with a short bow.
A little while later it was his son’s wife, Lady Jane Rochford, who exited the chambers with a relieved look on her face
«It’s a boy!» she exclaimed «The Queen has given birth to a healthy, little prince»
The chambers erupted in cheers, but Thomas couldn’t help noticing the slight twitch on Cromwell’s face, he looked over at George and saw that he had noticed as well.
He returned his focus to Jane who was about to re-enter the Queen’s chamber.
«Lady Rochford!» he waved the girl over «How is the prince’s health really? I order you to tell me the truth» he asked her in a lowered voice.
«He seems healthy enough, though he is smaller than Princess Elizabeth was at birth. He screamed when he was born, so there was no need to slap his backside» Thomas thanked her before sending her back to Anne.

~~~
A shorter part than the first one, but hopefully not too short. Anne has now given birth to a little Prince, and is saved from the block as long as he lives. I decided to portray the birth from Thomas Boleyn's POV, since I have never been pregnant and wouldn't know how to write a birth.
The story about the almost rape of Anne is fictional, though the infamous Nicholas Sanders spread a rumour that Anne was raped by one of her father's servants, but that's the same guy who said she was Henry's bastard daughter and had six fingers so it's almost certainly a made up rumour.
Hope you liked it, please feel free to correct me if you see any errors.

Well this may lead for sure to interesting things and times for England. I am curious to see where you will lead this.

So, if I am not wrong, currently the newborn prince is the heir to the throne, Elizabeth is second in line, and Mary is illegittimate?

Deleted member 96349

Well this may lead for sure to interesting things and times for England. I am curious to see where you will lead this.

So, if I am not wrong, currently the newborn prince is the heir to the throne, Elizabeth is second in line, and Mary is illegittimate?
You're correct. Mary is still estranged from her father as well, since she refuses to sign the oath.

Good to see an update.

Henry is going to be in a dodgy position but at the same time i could well see him bouncing back to the completely "in-love" state he was at the start of the relationship.

Wonder if Mary will sign on the dotted line here?

Probably she would think to do a single thing now: escape to Spain.

Which would be a saving grace for her: being Queen of Spain can be more fulfilling and relaxing, and healthy for her. Probably no child im sight, but can live longer... Hmmm maybe Carlos can get Elizabeth of Valois... Well those are just suppositions ahead of time.

Good to see an update.

Henry is going to be in a dodgy position but at the same time i could well see him bouncing back to the completely "in-love" state he was at the start of the relationship.

Seems improbable, probably would have lots of lovers and illegitimate children as Anne after all fulfilled her duty. But he would likely stop at the wife n°2 at this point.

Probably she would think to do a single thing now: escape to Spain.

Which would be a saving grace for her: being Queen of Spain can be more fulfilling and relaxing, and healthy for her. Probably no child in sight, but can live longer... Hmmm maybe Carlos can get Elizabeth of Valois... Well those are just suppositions ahead of time.

Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor is not going to marry his only son to the Lady Mary Tudor in this scenario. And he won't marry her himself, as he didn't even consider it OTL. TBH, Mary will probably either be married to Luis of Portugal, Duke of Beja or maybe James V of Scotland. I could see the Mary/James union happening and Scotland invading England if this Prince, who'll probably be called Edward or Henry, succeeds, as he most likely will. You might actually get a different Hapsburg/Valois match between Philip II of Spain and Margaret of France, sister to Henri II of France. She's available and still quite young in 1545, when Maria Manuela dies, if she dies in this timeline.

Seems improbable, probably would have lots of lovers and illegitimate children as Anne after all fulfilled her duty. But he would likely stop at the wife n°2 at this point.

Do you see a third child between Henry and Anne? I could see him trying with her for a spare heir, with that possibly working towards healing their relationship. I could be wrong, but Henry could end up happier with her again.

That's depending upon whether or not Henry has kept himself convinced that he was bewitched into marrying Anne.

Obviously those who we're trying to convince him he was bewitched were in fact doing the bewitching as God as shown him he was right by granting him a healthy heir

I believe Henry convinced himself; he could talk himself in almost anything he wanted. But I think what I'm really asking is: Does he view this as God's blessing or a Witch's (and therefore the Devil's) trick?