The Ruins of an American Party System: From 1920 Onward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Olson realized he needed to give Huey Long the South to secure his support and increase his majorities. Now of course, one political machine is taking over an entire region of the country.

This is pretty terrifying as he and his personality and his particularly effective political machine (probably more than the Progressives even?) can swing every election forever, since he's young and in TTL could live another... I don't know 40 years?

The whole South becomes a giant Louisiana where 50 years later, people are arguing over whether he was an evil dictator or a wonderful dictator...

Probably, but, remember there are still a lot of rural Progressives and mostly rural Commonwealthers who might be resistant to that idea. The Progressive leadership intends to expand it after the next census; the Republican-Conservative Alliance dominated the House after 1930, and while they reapportioned, they were unwilling to expand the size, and no one* wants to go through mid-decade redistricting.

Interesting. I'd be shocked if they kept it at the same size in the long run.

*including myself

I don't blame you!

Newswriter Walter William Liggett was a long-time supporter of the Farmer-Labor Movement and of the Progressive Party. He had been an activist in both his home state of Minnesota and in North Dakota. His career had taken him from Alaska to New York City. His articles gained nationwide fame. He helped turn public opinion against Prohibition. He viciously attacked Andrew Mellon He had written scathing attacks on Herbert Hoover, and had openly supported Floyd Olson in 1932. In the early days of the Olson Administration, Liggett had helped expose the right-wing enemies of Olson. He was a progressive to the core.

But starting in 1933 with the implementation of the Internal Security Act, Liggett had begun to criticize the authoritarianism of the Olson Administration. He railed against the abuses of ISA. His reputation as a progressive was so secure that he could not be portrayed as a dangerous right-wing rebel, and he soon became one of the leading faces of the anti-ISA movement. Some people credited his articles with disillusioning enough Progressives to prevent the Progressives from sweeping 1934 like they should have. Liggett was overjoyed when the Supreme Court weakened ISA, and continued to champion for a full repeal.

In 1934, after ISA was weakened, Liggett gained a new target in the Olson Administration: corruption. More money was bouncing around the Olson Administration than any other administration in history, creating new opportunities for corruption. Liggett was particularly critical of Attorney General Huey Long, who he alleged was behind most of the corruption and abuses of power. Stating that he still believe Olson to be good at heart, he called upon the President to fire the Attorney General. When Olson ignored the request, Liggett began to write articles, showing how numerous projects by the American Employment Agency, and large amounts of federal dollars, had ended up helping numerous organized crime groups, such as the notorious gangster Kid Cann in Minnesota. Liggett alleged that Cann, with connections to notorious gangsters such as Meyer Lansky, had supported Floyd Olson since the latter was governor.

~~~~

"There is no nationwide organized crime," pronounced FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover to the Joint Congressional Committee. "Local gangs run by men like the deceased Al Capone? Yes. But some sort of nationwide conspiracy, stretching from Florida to New York to Minnesota, involving the bribery of high-level politicians? It is simply a ridiculous notion."

"Can you be sure?" asked Progressive Representative Frederick Harold Dubord of Maine. "Perhaps the FBI should devote some of its resources to investigating these allegations."

"The era of bootlegging is gone with Prohbition," declared Hoover. "My men have much more important things to do than arrest bookmakers and gamblers. For instance, there are still far-right groups similar to the Silver Legion. We have evidence that many bank robberies and other crimes blamed upon so-called 'organized crime' are actually carried out by these political extremists."

"You use the far-right as your shield," proclaimed Republican Senator Arthur Vandenburg of Michigan. "You have abused the authority of the government. You have trampled upon the Constitution. The Olson Administration is corrupt, and dictatorial, and uses the phantom of a revived Silver Legion to seize power and crush its foes. I have no doubt that Olson wishes he could establish a Troika with Mr. Long and Vice President La Guardia here and end democracy in America, but we will not let democracy die!"

There was scattered applause from the conservatives in the committee. But talking points aside, very little was gained. Hoover was adamant that corruption and organized crime were both exaggerated.

~~~~

In the early morning of August 25, 1935, Walter Liggett placed his half-finished article upon his desk. It was another attack upon the US Department of Justice, claiming that Huey Long was basically setting up his own criminal syndicate across the nation, and that J. Edgar Hoover was complicit in his crimes for the promise of more power to the FBI. He hoped that people would listen, and that Floyd Olson could be brought down. Liggett had suspected Olson was using the governorship of Minnesota as a mere stepping stone for greater power since Olson was elected governor in 1924. However, he could not bring himself to sabotage Olson's progressive administration. He had been caught up in the anti-Mellon sentiment of 1932, and cheered on Olson with the rest of the radicals. But things had gone to far. He couldn't let the administration betray the trust of the American people like this any more.

Liggett knew he was a target for Kid Cann. He'd first gotten bribes from the gangster, but he refused to accept them. Then Cann's men had jumped him in an alley one day, and brutally beaten Liggett. But the writer managed to escape with his life, and recovered from his injuries. Horrible crimes had been alleged about him, including that he had kidnapped and raped boys. But these crimes had no evidence, and as corrupt as the police and judiciary were, they could not convict Liggett. He'd received death threats every day, mostly anonymous from mobsters, some from fanatical progressives. He felt sad that his family might lose him some day. But they knew that he could not stay silent and watch his nation suffer.

Liggett walked over to the kitchen, where his wife, Edith, was cooking breakfast. He kissed her, and complimented her cooking. She was happy that the legal trouble had been resolved; she loved her husband more than her reputation, and she knew that he would not be the man she loved if he did not stand up for what was right. Liggett walked to his daughter Marda's room, and looked down at the sleeping ten year old. She would have to wake up soon, to go to church. He shook her gently, and she woke up happy, telling her father how much she loved him. She was still ignorant and sheltered. He wondered what would happen to her in school, whether his enemies had created a toxic enough atmosphere that she would get bullied because of her father. He hoped he would be there to help her. Liggett wondered how many times he would be able to tell his daughter than he loved her.

After breakfast, Liggett told his family that he was going to go check the mail before they went to church. He opened the door and walked down to the mailbox, and found letters within.

"Is there anything for me?" called out Marda. She and her mother were standing in the doorway, staring down the walkway at her father.

"I don't think so," replied Liggett with a smile. He began walking back toward his house.

Suddenly, a car pulled up by the mailbox. Liggett turned around to see who it was. Before he was even fully turned, there was the blast of a machine gun and Liggett was blown down to the ground covered in blood. Edith and Marda screamed, but they could do nothing. The car had sped away. The writer's wife and daughter ran up to him, sobbing. He was already dead.

Bad. Very bad. I could see something like this coming from the beginning of the post.

Creating martyrs against you is a poor trade-off for silencing single voices. I suspect Olsen can ride this out, but I also suspect historians looking back will call this the turning point.

Last edited:
I'm sure this can easily be attributed to his many gangster enemies at best, or an out of control FBI run by a true blue reactionary at worst.

Olson is clean in my books! :D

In all seriousness, has anyone considered the possibility that this will come to nothing? That this is simply an example of where the country is headed? This could be happening elsewhere too, and no one will be none the wiser.

The Republicans will do anything to beat Olson like a drum, they'll wave the bloody shirt loud and long.

On the other hand this can very much piss off a lot of Progressives, many of whom prided themselves on good government and cleaning out corruption.

The Republicans will do anything to beat Olson like a drum, they'll wave the bloody shirt loud and long.

On the other hand this can very much piss off a lot of Progressives, many of whom prided themselves on good government and cleaning out corruption.

Again, it is very possible no one ever makes the connection, since the guy had a TON of enemies AND by and large the people LOVE Olson...

I wonder if Olson will still be around if/when people find out who killed Liggit.

I mean, we'll find out pretty soon if the butterfly effect is enough to make stomach cancer go away.....

Again, I hope Olson doesn't go down! Want to see how a longish progressive authoritarian reign pans out.

The state of New Hampshire refused to implement either the EWA or the FWA, proclaiming the acts to be unconstitutional to the extreme. Governor Henry Styles Bridges condemned the act, and vowed to oppose it with all of his might. As soon as the acts were implemented and the first federal officials came to begin informing people of the new laws, Bridges organized an opposition to them. As part of the dispute, he soon became engaged in a legal dispute with the US government. Citing a "Constitutional Crisis", Bridges managed to get an expedited court process, with his case being heard before the Supreme Court in October. On October 14, the Supreme Court ruled 6-3 in Bridges v. United States that parts of the FWA was unconstitutional, and 5-4 that parts of the EWA were unconstitutional.

The majority opinion, authored by James Clark McReynolds, held that while the Constitution allowed the US government to regulate interstate commerce, and while it allowed it to regulate the labor of people under the age of 18, it did not allow the federal government to regulate how much small companies that were owned, operated, and sold only in one state paid their adult employees, severely restricting the FWA and the EWA. Immediately throughout the country, wages dropped, especially for women and minorities. President Olson was outraged, condemning the "reactionary court" for its "obstruction of the peoples' will".

Meanwhile, in a court case appealed from the California Supreme Court, the US Supreme Court unanimously upheld the ruling that the mandated state ownership of certain industries Governor Upton Sinclair had attempted to implement were unconstitutional. While the decision was officially just regarding California, Chief Justice Arthur Miller's opinion of the Court made it clear that any attempts by the Progressive national government to nationalize any industry would also be blocked. Another series of rulings followed shortly thereafter, relating to the 1933 banking regulations. While the regulations were mostly intact, some of the most severe regulations were removed.

These court losses were a severe blow to the Olson Administration. Conservatives across America cheered the Supreme Court. Senator Arthur Vandenburg of Michigan proclaimed that this was a message that Olson was an abusive tyrant who had overstepped his bounds, and stated that impeachment was what Olson deserved (even if it was obviously not going to happen). Vandenburg called for a repeal of the remains of the FWA and for even further weakening of the banking administration, becoming the leader of the reactionary Republicans in Washington DC. Meanwhile, Governor Bridges was another hero to the right for his role in weakening the FWA and EWA. From New England to the Deep South, crowds cheered the governor for his actions, and advocated that he run for President (although some said that the 37 year old Styles Bridges was planning to run for the Senate first). The Progressives generally condemned the Court for overstepping its bounds, and started drawing up various Amendments to the Constitution to fix the issues. However, moderate Progressives generally resisted this effort, and confirmed that they would not impeach any Justices just for these rulings.

~~~

"Those reactionary bastards," said the President.

"Well, what's th' plan now?" asked the only other man in the room, Attorney General Huey Long.

"Break them," responded the President angrily. "I want enough destroyed by scandal to scare the rest into submission."

"I'll rustle them out," said Long, smiling. "Ought t' be somethin' good 'nough to get 'em impeached?"

"At least."

"Which one of them black-robed right-wingers do you want me to go at first?" asked Long. "Their leader, old Miller?"

Olson shook his head. "No. Miller did vote the right way on the EWA, even if he was in the minority. And as president he was the first to do anything to help the cause of liberty for all races since Grant. He does not deserve to have his political career end in scandal." Olson paused, thinking. "McReynolds. That bigoted fool has done nothing good, and he wrote the opinions. He can be the message."

"What should I do to take him down?"

"Anything. I want him off the court, as soon as possible."

The Attorney General smiled. "He'll be gone, don't worry. He'll be gone, sure as the sun'll set."

Last edited:
(If anyone is wondering why Liggett's murder and various other events were not addressed in the last update, I decided to have an update focusing on the court, and the next one will have Olson responding to a variety of other issues)

No court packing. Just bring one down ha.

What will happen when they have a progressive majority? Re-pass similar bills and get a new ruling, hopefully?

What will happen when they have a progressive majority? Re-pass similar bills and get a new ruling, hopefully?
That is the initial plan. Then, they hope that after 1936 they expect they will have a large enough majority to amend the US constitution in any way they want and to recreate America.

That is the initial plan.

Makes sense. I'm wonder if they plan on a little court packing.

Then, they hope that after 1936 they expect they will have a large enough majority to amend the US constitution in any way they want and to recreate America.

Dun, dun, dun.

Arguably they've already seriously altered America. It will be interesting to see what they try if they really get the chance.

Sinclair's efforts in California sound interesting and somewhat ominous... It'd be interesting to hear about what's going on there... Especially with all that federal cash floating around.

Status
Not open for further replies.