The Robinson BAM Map Thread

VT45

Banned
So it's come to my attention that while the QBAM, MBAM, and Worlda maps all look like Robinson projections, they're all quite slightly off.

As we can see from this map here, much of the Old World is placed a bit too far west, and North America skewed a bit too far east. So what I would like to do is to rectify that situation to the best of my ability and create a series of maps that are faithful to the true placement of the landmasses of Earth. We can experiment with other projections as well, as I would be very interested in having equirectangular and Winkel-Trippel projections for people to use as well.

I don't want to step on the toes of any of the other map projects going on here, but I hope you guys are interested in something like this. And if anyone would like to help out that'd be great too.

I'd be very interested in doing a Kavraiskiy-7 version. In fact, it's on my to do list (real life interferes). I'd prefer K7 over Robinson, because K7 has a formula that lends itself very well to creating a perfectly-calculated grid, which could then be overlaid over google earth and similar map apps. Robinson's formula relies on an iterative interpolation formula, which makes it prohibitively time-consuming to calculate exactly how such a grid should be drawn when considering high-resolution maps.

VT45

Banned
We can totally add that in. With a program like QGIS, which I've been messing about with recently, it should be easy to tack on as many different projections that we want.

If I'm honest I'd rather we just have one map at this scale and get it finished. Whether that's the current MBAM fudge, Robinson, Kavraisky-VII or whatever.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: we have too many BAM maps (and base maps in general). The problem with having so many is that you'll have multiple authors working on making historical patches or resources for multiple different base maps, rather than having a more complete collection of resources for one map.

For now, I say we have to keep to the Worlda, QBAM, and MBAM as our base maps. Not to mention, do we really even need another map in a slightly different projection? Fitting existing maps to trace onto the distorted QBAM is fairly easy already in photoshop (can't speak to gimp- though I imagine it isn't too difficult there either)

VT45

Banned
Problem is a lot of us (me for example) don't have photoshop because we can't afford it. Using a standard map projection will make things much easier to patch things, rather than try to warp things to fit the current QBAM, MBAM, and Worlda maps, which are all separate projections I might add.