The Eftals brought Buddhism, Hinduism, and their own shamanic traditions into the region, on top of the existing Zoroastrianism, Manichaeism and Christianity.

Wasn't Buddhism already big in the region? Now, it's true that Buddhism was declining from its height during Parthian times (where as much as 1/3rd of the population may have been Buddhist), but I thought that it was still around 5-10% of the Persian population for most of the Sassanid era...

[Unfortunately for the Romans, a lot of Justinian's famous generals are butterflied in this timeline from actually gaining overall command of armies. Vitalian is a different sort of Emperor and rather into nepotism. So we get an earlier, and potentially less ably planned attempt at reconquest.]

OK, so the Roman reconquest attempts aren't an area I am strong on, but I thought that the leadership of the OTL attempt to reclaim Italy was bad overall.

If the good generals of OTL are still alive and in the army, they may shake to the top over the course of a long campaign... So maybe it will end up the reverse of the OTL wars with Gothic Italy, and the Romans start weak, but end strong?

fasquardon

Malta - the Sassanid and Eftal militaries are actually remarkably similar, what with the focus on cavalry and levied archers and infantry from their Persian subjects. The main difference is the ethnicity of the cavalry - the Persian aristocracy being largely uprooted and replaced with the White Huns. War Elephants remain a major part of the army. The whole system is still rather feudal, only now the "feudal" part of the aristocracy is of a very different sort.

For standing forces and quick response, the Eftal have either the retainers of the Shah and local Satraps/Tribes, as well as certain mercenary forces from regions like Daylam and what remains of the Persian cavalry of old.

Fasquadron - Buddhism was common, but as far as I know the regions of the Sassanian Empire that it was common in were in eastern regions that I believe were conquered by the Hephthalites before even the PoD. It's probable there were other populations of Buddhists living elsewhere in Persia but I couldn't speak to numbers.

If this isn't the case, I'll have to retroactively fix some of that.

The good generals are still alive for the most part - but the circumstances that lead to Narses and Belisarius gaining command of armies are most likely simply gone. Belisarius in particular I believe is too young to have significant command by the time TTL Gothic Wars start.

Malta - the Sassanid and Eftal militaries are actually remarkably similar, what with the focus on cavalry and levied archers and infantry from their Persian subjects. The main difference is the ethnicity of the cavalry - the Persian aristocracy being largely uprooted and replaced with the White Huns. War Elephants remain a major part of the army. The whole system is still rather feudal, only now the "feudal" part of the aristocracy is of a very different sort.

For standing forces and quick response, the Eftal have either the retainers of the Shah and local Satraps/Tribes, as well as certain mercenary forces from regions like Daylam and what remains of the Persian cavalry of old.

Fasquadron - Buddhism was common, but as far as I know the regions of the Sassanian Empire that it was common in were in eastern regions that I believe were conquered by the Hephthalites before even the PoD. It's probable there were other populations of Buddhists living elsewhere in Persia but I couldn't speak to numbers.

If this isn't the case, I'll have to retroactively fix some of that.

The good generals are still alive for the most part - but the circumstances that lead to Narses and Belisarius gaining command of armies are most likely simply gone. Belisarius in particular I believe is too young to have significant command by the time TTL Gothic Wars start.

Re: Cavalry, OTL, the Muslim invaders locking the Persian nobility out of their traditional jobs (as warriors) forced them to go into scholarly pursuits (thus starting what we know as the "Islamic scientific revolution"). Will something similar happen with the Eftal displacing the nobility from the cavalry role?

Re: Buddhism, yes Buddhism was mainly an East Persian thing - I was forgetting that the Eftal had already conquered so much of East Persia before the PoD.

Re: Generals, I suppose I am expecting the Gothic wars in TTL to take some time - look forward to seeing what you do with this.

fasquardon

Gothic Wars
The Gothic Wars and another look into the east

What I know all you Romanophiles have been waiting for: The Gothic Wars

[for the buildup to these wars, check the prior page]

The plan for the invasion of Italy was mostly that of the Germanic general Bessas, who landed in early 523 with some seven thousand men in Sicilia, and in a rapid campaign seized control of the territory, with the exception of well-fortified Panormus, which was held by determined soldiers under the Gothic noble Witiges. Despite being blockaded and surrounded, the city refused to submit, and a series of determined assaults did not dislodge the defenders. Roman naval superiority however, ensured that Bessas felt comfortable dispatching most of his forces under an officer named Julian, who crossed the strait and took Rhegium after a brief siege and moved to link up with Ioannes.

Despite Bessas’ struggles, Ioannes landed at Hydruntum and marched quickly north towards Neapolis with an army of twenty thousand men, nearly a third of which were elite imperial cavalry, including Alan mercenary archers. Along the way he gained the surrender of isolated Gothic garrisons, and successfully linked up with Julian.

Meanwhile, the magister militum of Illyria, Coutzes, Vitalian’s son, marched on Salonae. Some distance out from the city, he engaged a small force of Gothic cavalry and was mortally wounded while riding in the vanguard. The army fell back in disarray and was brutally mauled on its retreat to Doclea. The Gothic advance force allowed time for Ostrogothic Illyricum to prepare for a long war and raise significant forces, including Langobard mercenaries.

Ioannes did not run into determined resistance until he arrived at Naples, which refused to surrender despite only a minimal Gothic garrison. The citizens themselves rose up and manned the walls, giving Eutharic an entire winter to raise an army. After Naples’ surrender it was put to devastating sack, a sign of things to come. It was not until late 524 that Panormus finally surrendered and was similarly devastated.

The Ostrogoths had raised large forces, and the aging Liberius, an important Roman official under Theoderic counseled the citizens of Rome, at Eutharic’s request, to not welcome the invading easterners. The Goths, he said, had preserved the institution of the Empire and defended Italy – it was Vitalian, a usurper in the East, who sought to undermine what had been built.

Ioannes lacked enough troops to encircle Rome, and he knew it. Despite the city being depopulated, it was vast and not easily besieged. Further, Eutharic had now arrived with an advance force of some six thousand men, with tens of thousands more en route – he contested Campania with his horse and garrisoned the city of Capua, bringing in great reserves of grain and ensuring the walls were in good repair. After Ioannes crossed into the flat coastal region of Campania, his inexperience in commanding such a large army was already showing – further, much of the force was newly raised and inexperienced – a far cry from the veteran troops along the Thracian and Iranian frontiers, who were capable of creatively interpreting poor orders. The Roman army performed poorly in a series of indecisive skirmishes, and Eutharic brought his entire army together and marched on Naples.

Ioannes avoided engaging Eutharic’s superior force, retreating to Naples and ensuring that he could be supplied by sea even as the Gothic siege lines closed around the city. After an abortive sally attempt which did great damage to the Gothic foot but was nevertheless unsuccessful, he settled in for a long siege, waiting for his uncle to send aid.

Illyrium, however, was actually not as much of a disaster as first feared. Witiges, the Gothic commander, had a decent force, but it was heterogeneous and nowhere near as discipline as the Imperial troops. Now under the command of the Isaurian general Leon, the Roman army smashed Witiges over the course of a three day battle and marched into Illyrium, destroying Salonae and reducing many of the fortifications in the region. However, Witiges rallied his forces and prevented further advances.

Liberius arrived in November as ambassador of the Ostrogothic Kingdom in Constantinople, where he presented terms – the Romans could retain Sicily, in exchange for a tribute. These negotiations failed. Vitalian had tasted a few victories and was perhaps unaware of Ioanne’s failures. He ordered Leon to land at Ancona and proceed inland towards Ravenna. Despite having a relatively small force, Leon did so, and enjoyed early successes, taking the still densely populated urban region south of Ravenna.

Eutharic rushed north, with Ioannes in pursuit. However, in truth, Ravenna had a strong defensive position and he was not unduly worried. Noting Ioannes’ pursuit, he delayed his march north, turned about and engaged the Romans. Ioannes was defeated, and his forces retreated south in poor order. In the north, Leon besieged Ravenna while a detachment of the Roman fleet blockaded it by sea, but the Roman campaign was collapsing.

By 525, the Roman-Gothic war was seeming increasingly untenable to the Roman court in Constantinople, and many advised the Emperor to renew attempts at negotiations. Despite Leon’s capable leadership and a series of victories in the north, the Roman campaign represented a massive loss of blood and treasure for seemingly little gain – and indeed the death of any notion that the Eastern Romans still ruled in Italy. And yet the bloodshed continued. Two Roman armies still operated in Italy, one small but effective, the other large and wildly unsuccessful.

Around this time, Vitalian recalled Ioannes, leaving Bessas in overall command of the Italian war. As Ioannes departed, an additional five thousand veteran comitatenses arrived from the east. The war was far from over.

Legacy of the Gupta

The failure of nomadic states to penetrate the Indian Subcontinent is not a universal trend in history. The Aryan peoples seemed to have arrived by invasion. The Greeks and the Saka also left their mark on the Indus river valley and sometimes even further into the continent. However, the Middle Period of Indian History, marked by the ascension of the Gupta in 320 C.E. represents both the period of Magadha dominance of the Subcontinent and also a period of intellectual flowering and economic prosperity uninterrupted by invaders from the North.

It was the Gupta who annihilated and incorporated the Saka into their empire, and prevented the Sveta Hunas from ever truly establishing a foothold in the region, and this breathing space allowed northern Indian culture to flourish. Indian scholars developed the concept of zero. The legacy of the Gupta was one of mathematic and scientific advancement, but also literary and philosophical splendor – the remarkable tolerance of the Gupta monarchs – like the Maurya before them - allowed the development and coexistence of a remarkable number of competing religious and philosophical traditions. Despite local communal violence and the frequent endemic warfare of the era, under Gupta patronage the arts and sciences thrived.

The enduring influence Gupta architecture can be still seen from Aden to Kalingga, in Gandhara and Ceylon. Trade cities such as Mahathitha grew splendid in this era, taking in trade from Arabia and Iran, China and Indonesia. One awestruck Iranian Buddhist began his famous travel narrative with the lines “In white-harbored Thambapanni sits Mahathitha, the seat from which all goods flow...”

Even as the Gupta waned and splintered, the great entrepot cities such as Sopara and Kottura became true powerhouses, and Indian traders, primarily Pallava, continued to spread across the world, settling in the growing city-states of Sumatra and Tarumanagara and Sailendra. In the west, Persia and Arabia began to see a small but growing diaspora of Indian merchants from the Vakataka Kingdom. These merchants would go on to establish scattered trade posts across the African continent. Indian traders sailed as far as Madagascar, bringing back giant lemurs and vast flightless birds for the wonder of their local Rajas’ courts. Later in the 7th century, Hadhrami traders would establish the first trading ports on the island, but by then the megafauna of the island were all but extinct. But still, the impact of these new markets should not be underestimated – this was the beginning of a transformative era for the Indian Ocean, a golden age which would continue even after the collapse of the Gupta into a succession of warring states.

Touba Wei and the Bodhisattva Emperor

The “Northern Wei” were at this time a people in utter collapse. Rebellions and internal division were only compounded by the rule of a weak Emperor, Xiaoming. This was not a time for a weak Emperor either. The Rouran, displaced from their traditional homeland by the Tujue, were riding south in increasing numbers, pillaging as they went. The Xiongnu General Erzhu Rong was responsible for managing this incursion, but failed utterly to match the threat, and he and his clan suffered grave losses.

In 524, Angui Qagan moved into the region at the head of what remained of the Rouran confederacy. Over the next three years, they would conquer much of the Wei state. The death of the Wei Emperor, Xiaoming only further exacerbated the anarchy. This period of chaos would only benefit the Southern Liang, whose generals took the opportunity to expand their territory northwards, driving back the Wei over the course of the next five years. They managed to take a few notable victories and secure several major cities, but ultimately it was the Rouran who benefited the most - becoming the new rulers over the region after the collapse of the Wei.

The Liang, ruled by Emperor Wu, known as the Bodhisattva Emperor was a kind and lenient man, a lover of Indian culture by all accounts, who greatly patronized Mahayana Buddhism and was largely beloved. However, he was also weak, overly kind to his relations and his subordinates, unwilling to punish dissent or rebellion. And thus, by expanding the Liang dynasty's power over the north, he also gave increasing power to his generals and administrators, who frequently chose to exploit their position for personal gain.

If the Liang could endure would remain to be seen.

[There will be a lot of White Huns in the next update. Don't fear!]

Last edited:
Despite Bessas’ struggles, Ioannes landed at Hydruntum and marched quickly north towards Neapolis with an army of twenty thousand men, nearly a third of which were elite imperial cavalry, including Alan mercenary archers. Along the way he gained the surrender of isolated Gothic garrisons, and successfully linked up with Ioannes.

Surely you mean he linked up with Julian rather than himself?

It would seem that the Southern and Northern Dynasties period is ending rather more quickly than IOTL, though the Liang dynasty may prove as ephemeral as the Sui. Given that the short-lived dynasties of China's history have more often failed because of harshness than due to leniency, that would be an interesting turnabout from the usual.

Deleted member 67076

Italy burns, India prospers and Buddhism spreads. Not much different from OTL eh?:p

Real talk, good update. I suspect the war in Italy to end relatively soon if one side decides to go for a decisive, pitched battle approach. If that happens Im betting on the Goths; Rome has terrible luck with decisive battles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed the error, thanks Goblin!

Rome does indeed. Ioannes may have been inexperienced, but I think he was wise to avoid pitched battle (which is only fair, IOTL he developed into a capable subordinate general, but here he was elevated too high too fast.)

I don't think Erzhu Rong was strong enough to overthrow the Wei in 524, and even if he tried, the dynasty still had a lot of legitimacy behind it to die quietly. There'd be no way for him to take over North China, where plenty of Wei pretenders or local rebels would pop up. At best, Erzhu kills the Wei monarch and ushers in civil war. It would be far more likelier for Erzhu to die as one of many frontier generals, crushed quite possibly by Anagui instead.

The reconquest of North China by the Liang in one blow strikes me as the least plausible part too. It's a huge undertaking, conquering all that territory and people, and I don't think the Liang had the resources to do that.

Damn, the Sakas are gone :( :p. I wonder how the Vakatakas will fare now their ancient nemesis, the Saka, are gone.

Well as the Gupta fall apart, I imagine they'll do pretty well in the aftermath. As will many of the smaller Indian states. But the Gupta won't crumble fast to any one single invasion, and in this timeline, the Eftal/Huna energies are overstretched in a westward direction.

The Subcontinent will be safe for a time. And in that time, the Hindu golden age will continue.

Whatisausername - I have to admit that Chinese history is not necessarily my strong suit. However, it isn't necessarily Rong overthrowing the Wei alone, but rather his clan betraying the Emperor and the Rouran moving in during a time of chaos - and then being slowly squeezed by the Liang and the Tujue over the course of some time - hardly in "one blow". Given the problems facing the Wei it didn't seem wholly unrealistic. But I'm not above revising it if you have suggestions of a more sensible alternative.

Whatisausername - I have to admit that Chinese history is not necessarily my strong suit. However, it isn't necessarily Rong overthrowing the Wei alone, but rather his clan betraying the Emperor and the Rouran moving in during a time of chaos - and then being slowly squeezed by the Liang and the Tujue over the course of some time - hardly in "one blow". Given the problems facing the Wei it didn't seem wholly unrealistic. But I'm not above revising it if you have suggestions of a more sensible alternative.
Well, PM me what you want to see, and I'll tell you how sensible it is. I would say a Liang reconquest is basically out: the dynasty is insufficiently aggressive to pull something like the conquest of North China off. Indeed, I'm not sure any Southern Dynasty during this period could conquer all of North China. But Erzhu Rong gradually coming to power and taking control of Northern China, followed by a collapse between the Liang and the Tujue, is within the realm of possibility. But I think the likelier result is another Northern Chinese dynasty.

Made some edits to the China bits. I know it's a very short blurb compared to the chunk that the Gothic wars gets - and for that I apologize.

Last edited:
Gothic War 2
Gothic-Roman war

The dream of Italy refused to die. While Bessas advanced north on Rome with a reconstituted army, Leon fought a battle of delay against the bulk of Eutharic's forces. With a mere six thousand men, the wily Isaurian commander retreated to the coast and evacuated - landing again in the south, and retreating slowly back towards Bessas. As he went, he encouraged his soldiers to pillage to feed and sustain his army, which had been under considerable stresses due to frequent small-scale engagements. His incursion left a significant region of northern Italy devastated, and a bloody swathe across the South.

Bessas and Leon linked up in late 525, and after a series of skirmishes, finally brought Eutharic to battle. The Gothic army had been bleeding away for some time. Eutharic had been forced to siphon away much of his infantry to provide garrisons for cities in the north, and where the Romans seemed to have more than sufficient reinforcements, he did not. Nevertheless, he finally met the Romans in battle outside Cumae, and there the two armies fought for "a day and a night, till exhaustion claimed them".

Contemporary accounts of the battle seem relatively unreliable, especially on the Gothic side. What can be understood is that neither side won the total victory both had hoped for. Eutharic had intended to drive the Romans into the sea, and perhaps even reclaim Sicily and Illyrium. The Romans had hoped to entirely change the tide of a war they knew themselves to be slowly losing. While Leon's Thracians distinguished themselves in the fighting, as did the Byzantine cavalry, Bessas retreated back along the coast, while Eutharic besieged and sacked Cumae and Naples.

Through 526, the war showed no signs of stopping. The Romans seemed to have regained a measure of their famous stubbornness, refusing to give up what Italian possessions they still had - and knowing that Eutharic lacked sufficient soldiers to reclaim them. It was only in 528 that peace would finally come - a peace that recognized the borders as they had become. Dalmatia, Sicily, and the region of Apulia and Calabria remained Roman.

Back in Constantinople, Vitalian had been suffering. The war aged him immensely, and with every reversal he was worn down. By 529, Vitalian named his son, Bouzes, Co-Emperor. Taking the ruling name Zeno Augustus, the new Emperor would oversee the affairs of the East, raising one of the Imperial bodyguards, a young man named Belisarius with whom he had found favor, to an important command of a wing of cavalry in the East.

Despite these losses, the fortunes of the Empire remained apparently strong. Trade had suffered, perhaps, but the Eastern Mediterranean remained prosperous even as Italy burned at the hands of the Goths and Romans, and Africa crumbled under the mismanagement of Hilderic (who in 530 would be assassinated by his own nobles). The Italian wars did not come to effect Imperial defense greatly either - the Roman army was bloodied but not overstretched, and it was still one of the most effective fighting forces in the world.

But the world, it would seem, was changing...

The Eurasian Steppe and Persia

By 527, Shah Toramana was increasingly aware that his life was coming to a close. He settled down finally, ruling in Susa, as Akshunwar did towards the end of his life. Ever the builder, Toramana constructed an enormous palace outside of the city gates, in which he would live the rest of his life surrounded by gardens and "every sensuous delight the mind might conceive of."

Our Armenian sources indicate that Khauwashta was made "Commander in Chief, or Spatavad, of the whole Shahdom" - and indeed, Khauwashta seemed to have absolute power in Toramana's waning days. Though he expressed Buddhist convictions, beliefs that seem to have stemmed from his mother, Khauwashta was also a warlike man, not inclined to cowardice.

While Toramana lost focus on the affairs of state, Khauwashta took control of affairs in the East. The Gaoche and other tribes had not abated their pressure on his satraps, passing over the Gozan river in force, passing through the region of Xvarezm in great numbers. Khauwashta, with a great host of Eftal cavalry drove them back once and for all in 528, making "corpses of many and slaves of others" after his victory. The closure of this southern route once and for all spelled the disastrous end of the Gaoche confederacy, one-time allies of the Rouran.

Many of the peoples of the Gaoche confederacy, the notably the Xasar, Shipan, and Sahu continued their westward drive, a movement which would . The stronger tribes, with older roots in the region, notably the Uighur and Khirgut remained, many striking treaties and intermarrying with the Eftal peoples of the region. Strict borders were difficult to enforce, even in victory.

What would emerge from this was a Xasar-Sahu migration up north around the Caspian sea, where they would cross the Rav [IOTL Volga] by 534, into the lands of the Hunno-Bulgarian and Slavic tribes they found there, displacing many of them and precipitating a mass exodus. This exodus would take time to gather steam, of course - and many of the eastern Bulgar tribes found themselves assimilated into the growing ranks of the Sahu.

While Khauwashta managed the East with remarkable skill, winning the loyalties of the satraps and overseeing a reform of the system by which land was apportioned. The various nomadic tribes under the Eftal banner, the settled peoples, and the various landed aristocrats of Persia and Baktria alike had varied, often competing claims, and these claims led to frequent communal violence which often organized itself along religious or ethnic lines. Khauwashta's reforms were not always welcomed, but the "Royal Apportion" as it became known was ultimately by most measures a successful policy, reducing violence. It helped, of course, that Khauwashta had the strength of an army to enforce his degrees - as he did on several occasions, including during the famous insurrection at Bamiyan.

Even as the eastern regions were brought under strict royal control, the west was becoming more chaotic. The Satrap of Mazun, one Arhaxorai, was now openly backing the Hadhrami rebellion and essentially in a state of open war with Axum and her Himyarite client regime. This had every potential to drag the Romans into open conflict with the Eftal, especially as certain tribes among the Eftal who had settled in the West had begun raiding in force into Syria once more, despite half-hearted attempts by Toramana to reign them in. These raids across Syria were rarely successful - determined Roman reprisals by contrast were, and this strained the situation to the breaking point.

Further exacerbating the situation in 532 the Hadhrami, with the help of Arhaxorai, successfully drove the Christian Himyarite ruler and his followers into exile. Occupying the whole of Yemen, the spice routes were once again effectively under Persian control - the Hadhrami Malik was a vassal of the Eftal Shahs in all but name. This situation did not last - Hadhrami was poised to preside over a South Arabian golden age - but yet for the time it merely confirmed to the Romans that their position in the Orient was gravely imperiled.

Transformations

The third decade of the sixth century CE was a calm before the storm across the eastern world. In Eftal Iran, it was a time of economic prosperity and also seething turmoil beneath the surface. The local Iranian nobility rose up in a series of failed rebellions before finding a new place in society, turning inwards and becoming self-reflective. Unlike the Insurrection of Ctesiphon and the Christian uprisings of previous decades, the uprisings of the nobility had a heroic, hopeless quality to them. They would become immortalized in poetry and the growing Persian literary movement. The melancholy achievements of these noble poets would become the beginning beautiful epic tradition, particularly as the differences between Eftal and Iranian slowly began to dissolve, and increasing Eftal influences became apparent within the work of the great poets.

Shah Khauwashta ruled a polyglot Empire which frequently was decentralized and inefficient, but had a powerful military. However, being a man "blessed with the multitude of virtues, chief amongst them foresight" it was the military which he sought to reform, breaking apart the organization along tribal lines which so long had defined it. He would let the satraps use their tribal retainers to enforce order, but Khauwashta was a King of Kings, and he needed a military bound more directly to the state than to the lines of tribal coalition. However, while many historians, especially the Roman sources, emphasize the scope of reforms it is unclear how the traditional Eftal army, or the forces which battled Peroz in the fifth century actually were organized. Further, almost all of our Iranian sources are focused on the land reform and changes to the tax code and a series of national urban building projects centered around the Persian Gulf - leaving open questions about the degree to which the military reform was simply a result of organic changes in the emerging Eftal-Iranian society.

The period of Buddhist patronage continued apace, but tolerance of almost all faiths continued. The Eftal had little desire to enforce their religious convictions on others, and one of the Shah's prominent generals was a Nestorian Christian who took name of Thomas.

The Roman Empire, under the reign of Zeno II (Vitalian having died in 533) was on a very different trajectory. Monasticism and factionalism was on the rise, and the Empire was in an uncertain state despite appearing quite strong. Defeats in Italy had sounded the death knell of a united Empire. The Gothic successor state under Eutharic would slowly abandon all pretension to Imperial status, ruling as an elected King, raising his son as a Goth, and doing little to mend the division between the Romans and the small military elite that ruled them. Africa was similarly left to its own devices - despite having gained a base from which to attack, it seems that Vitalian did not have the motivation to plan such an enterprise. Zeno, in another time might have attempted it, but his would be a reign focused on internal politics and on the East.

In Constantinople, the beating heart of the Empire, the Blue and Green factions retained powerful influence at court, and religious controversy consumed much of the Emperor’s attention. His father had risen to power as a preserver of Orthodoxy, and Zeno maintained that tradition in spite of difficulties and occasional rumors of insurrection. But Syria and Egypt were growing apart from the Empire, and frequent persecutions did little to endear them to Constantinople.

Further, the two superpowers of the East were on a trajectory that would inevitably bring them into conflict. The Eftal interventions in Arabia posed a threat to Roman trade, and in 536 Belisarius, now responsible for the Roman armies of the East, convinced Zeno that the Eftal were weak - and that a successful military campaign into Persia could provide the prestige he needed to sew up the divisions within the Roman state.

He could not have known that a far greater storm was coming.

Last edited:
A far greater storm eh? I'm guessing its not 'Islam', but something else. Is it the 'Justinian Plague'?

I'm looking forward to it.

Plague
Changes and Plague

Africa

As the Vandal Kingdom collapsed, in 534 Hilderic was overthrown by one Huneric. Where Hilderic's policies had been favorable to Chalcedonian Christians, Huneric was an Arian through and through, and this lead only to more bitter hostilities between the ruling Vandals and their Roman and Moorish subjects - and further, Huneric was forced to put down a rebellion by Hoamer, Hilderic's cousin. Between 534-537 near anarchy reigned in North Africa, an anarchy which disrupted trade and lead to some level of food scarcity in the remaining great urban centers of Italy.

The exact timeline becomes very uncertain however - but it clear that by 537 Huneric was dead in a battle against one Gharmul, and a Mauri "Rex" named Tamesus (Tamenzut) was ruling over a vast swathe of territory ranging fromSufetula. While some historians have categorized this as a migration of the Berber peoples, that is a not a wholly accurate characterization. While certainly there were movements of people and semi-nomadic tribes, this was also a series of rural and urban uprisings which lead to the overthrow of the Vandals and the replacement of the Vandal elite with a rural Mauri one - while the urban character of changed little.

It is a tribute to how Romanized Africa was that during the collapse of the Vandalic Kingdom to the Berber invaders, the Mauri peoples preserved much of the Roman culture of the region. Latin was still the language of the urban dweller, regardless of ethnic background. Latinized forms of Berber languages gained traction, particularly in the Kingdom of Thagaste, while inscriptions from the the Mauritanian Kingdom ruled by one Masuna show that the written language was perhaps almost exclusively Latin. The urban-rural division in Africa remained strong, but was increasingly blended. The Vandals, by contrast became an increasingly isolated people under ever greater pressure to Romanize and abandon their traditional heritage.

Certain Romanized kingdoms developed out of Mauri tribal groups - this was an era of petty kings whose territories were uncertain, with borders that frequently shifted. In certain areas, Vandal settlers still held sway as well, although these areas rapidly shrank and assimilated. By 550 there was little trace of the Vandals in Africa - and petty Roman regimes ruled by duces had emerged on their island territories as well.
The Christian Mauri ruler Amesghin the Greater would eventually form a degree of hegemony over many of the petty Kings - his capital at Hippo Regius became a regional center of commerce, religious scholarship and grand public works. Contemporaneously, Isemrases, his brother ruled over a Carthage tenuously recovering from pillage. It might have recovered too, if it was not for the Great Plague.

Eftal-Roman War (537-542)

Veteran Roman armies, under highly capable commanders such as Leon the Isaurian, Flavius Belisarius (Master of the Soldiers of the Orient), and the Armenian Hovnan prepared a multiple pronged attack. The actual declaration of war was ostensibly a response to a recent cross-border raid by Eftal tribesmen, but in truth the war had been long in planning, and the attack when it came was well-coordinated, seeking to demolish the relatively weak Eftal grip over their northwestern satrapies.

Hovnan struck into his native Armenia, and then further on into the region the Eftal called Adurbadaghan and the Greeks called Atropatene, marching south through the mountain passes where the Eftal were light on the ground. Despite an attempted ambush, his troops pushed inwards,conquering with ease much of Armenia and finally coming to Naxcavan, but the large, well-fortified city resisted all attempts to claim it, and harassing raids stressed Hovnan's supply lines. Within a year the Armenian would be retreating in disgrace, but he would try again on several occasions - but by then his foes were prepared, and the cities and mountain passes of Armenia well fortified.

Leon detached from his own army a force which put Edessa to siege, while Belisarius marched towards the interior - aiming to put to siege high walled Nisibin. The wily Isaurian was out of his element in conventional siege warfare however - and knowing this he struck south at Zeno's order, meeting up with Belisarius' main force, of which he would command the right flank. The Roman Magister Militium had been eagerly reforming the army - raising new elite cataphract-style units to combat the traditional Eftal superiority of horse, hiring on mercenary Alan and Bulgar archer cavalry.

It was a shockingly different Roman army which met Shah Khauwashta outside of Nisibin one under one of the greatest of the later Roman commanders. But Khauwashta was a capable general in his own right, and had his own corps of brilliant, able officers, veterans of many battles. Instead of battle however, Belisarius arranged a meeting, and the two men conferred in neutral ground between the opposing camps. At a tent established in the middle of a dry flat battleplain, the two legendary figures of history spoke at length. We have no record of the meeting between these two, but we do know that it came after a series of vicious one-on-one duels, of which the Roman champions emerged supreme.

At the second day, both sides displayed against each other, and some pitched cavalry skirmishes were fought. The evening saw a second conference between this time subordinate commanders. Both men were stalling for time. By the third day, Leon had arrived with reinforcements, bringing the two armies to rough parity in numbers. A cavalry charge by the Romans lead to the a decisive victory in the battle of Nisibin, but Belisarius could not follow up on his triumph - the Roman cavalry had taken severe casualties, and the main body of the Eftal horse was intact. Belisarius was unable to put Nisibin to siege, knowing its defenses to be far too well-maintained to be assaulted while the Eftal could still harass him.

The two armies would not meet again until 538. A year of maneuver culminated in the battle of Amphipolis, where this time Khauwashta won a decisive victory. The Eftal histories report the Shah personally slew Leon with his own lance, while the Romans report no such occurrence, merely that Leon was wounded and succumbed to infection over the next week. The Eftal took Zeugma and pressed onwards, aiming perhaps for Antiokheia - to split the Roman Empire wide open. But it was not to be. Belisarius successfully prevented the Eftal from penetrating too deep into Syria, and fresh Roman armies captured most of Sirakan and pressed on towards Mosul, where the Eftal Satrap Thomas barely repulsed them.

The next few years would see a gradual recovery of lost Eftal territory. Armies of local leaders who prized the relative autonomy they enjoyed under Eftal rule joined up with their coreligionist, the Eftal Thomas, and ensured that the Romans acquired no long-term gains in the region. Thomas even pushed as far as Manzikert before he was defeated by General Bessas, returned from Illyria with fresh manpower. "Fighting at Manzikert" would become a Greek expression for a snatching victory from the jaws of defeat for centuries to come. Thomas would be subsequently slain at the battle of Sewan during a disastrous retreat, but the pendulum would eventually swing back in favor of the Eftal.

The Egyptian Plague (540-542)

The Egyptian Plague would come to encompass the entire Mediterranean. According to Syriac historians, it was Egyptian grain ships traveling to Constantinople which brought the plague there. At its devastating peak, the disease is said to have killed thousands by the day in the Queen of Cities alone. All the great maritime urban hubs declined precipitously in population, from Hispania to Italy, to Africa to Syria. Mesopotamia, it would seem, was also effected, although to a lesser degree.

The disruptions to agriculture and trade, the depopulation of major agricultural regions and the uncertainty of the times saw twofold responses - a spike in the already increasing trend of Christian monasticism, and bread riots in the capital. These riots were put down in no small part due to the Emperor Zeno's willingness to work with the Blues, and the casual effectiveness with which he dispatched Imperial troops against them when that proved only partially effective.

Military camps were no less effected than urban populations, and the Roman state had only a fraction of their original manpower to draw upon - numbers that would not recover for some time. The Eftal found themselves forced to increasingly rely on nomadic forces, their Persian auxiliaries being depleted. Ultimately, millions would die. The urban, Roman societies of the Mediterranean would take a blow which they would perhaps never recover fully from.

In North Africa and Asia Minor particularly, but also in many other regions, apocalyptic predictions and preachers reigned supreme, and their influence would not go away for some time, despite attempts by the Romans to reign in such talk in their own lands. By contrast in North Africa such apocalyptic and messianic religious thought was often encouraged by the sometimes heterodox Mauri kings, with long-lasting implications on the philosophical traditions of the thinkers there.

The plague would recur for some time throughout the Mediterranean. At no other time would it be nearly as devastating, but these "aftershocks" frequently correspond with additional periods of urban decline in Roman history. In no small part the Egyptian Plague would come to define the subsequent half-century to come.

Conclusion of the War

Khauwashta himself fell victim to the plague, but ultimately recovered. Nevertheless weakened, he left an veteran Eftal commander named Switamei in command of his army while he recovered - only for Switamei to fall ill mere weeks later. The aging commander died within a day, and his nephew Arshvadata, an Eftal-Baktrian, took overall command.

Meanwhile, Iashe, Khauwashta's wife, was increasingly forced to assume the responsibilities of power. It was somewhat unprecedented that she would act in her husband's name, but women were not without powerful positions in the Eftal social hierarchy - particularly in spiritual matters. Despite Shah Khauwashta's recovery he continued to delegate power to his wife, to the point that he would ultimately name his daughters husband, Akhshunwar, as his successor at Iashe's request.

The plague put an end to active campaigning to a great degree, but the war did not formally end until 542, when peace was signed. Both sides were bloodied. Osrhoene and Adurbadaghan, Armenia and Mesopotamia were in ruins, and the plague had hollowed out many of their urban centers as surely as the general pillaging annihilated the granaries which those same urban centers depended on after the plague induced agricultural collapse.

Both the Eftal and the Romans, however, had little trouble settling their veteran soldiers on vacant plots of land. Communities of Alan mercenaries took up residence in Syria and many more Xiongnu and Baktrians came to live along the Euphrates. Many of them in time took up the Nestorian Christianity of their newfound homeland.

If there was any victor from this conquest it was the Hadhrami. Their Red Sea trade remained open to the Romans, in defiance of attempts by the Eftal to close it. The Hadhrami state prospered, as did coastal cities under their patronage - this was the beginning of a period of great expansion in growth. With foreign trade came foreign ideas and foreign wealth. Roman and Hindi merchants lived side by side in its teeming streets, and the red-sailed trade vessels of South Arabia plied incense to foreign ports as far away as China and Madagascar (which they came to call Al-Komr).

Last edited:

Deleted member 67076

Cool, Mauri kingdoms all over Africa. Honestly this is probably one of the best developments to happen for Rome, as these will be much friendlier and easier to manage than the Vandal kingdom was.

Meanwhile, the plague rears its ugly head once more and depopulates much of the Med. :(

The developments in Yemen are fascinating however. I wonder if part of those foreign things creeping in will be agricultural products like citrus plants and rice. If so, then the Med basin will recover much faster than the plague ITTL.

Lots of things to think about...

@Soverihn - not to mention the Mauri have little inclination to suddenly become a maritime people and start coastal raiding/piracy, unlike those wacky Vandals. Pretty much a best case scenario for the Romans short of running the place.

You've given me some good food for thought as well.

@Space Oddity - At least Iashe's not an "actress" but rather a politically motivated match for Khauwashta. So not too much good scandal material.

Crumbling Giants
The Crumbling Giants

Slavic Migrations

It was in 548 that the Antes finally crossed over the Danube in force, but it was perhaps not more than a larger example of an ongoing trend prevalent over the past decade. The Antes had long been a people known to the Romans. In earlier, more peaceable times they had been an ally of sorts, settled along the river and given occasional gifts in exchange for keeping the border secure from the Bulgars. Until 540, this was a task the Antes had succeeded at admirably - but the Romans had been forced to reduce their regular payments due to budget shortfalls, the Bulgars were being driven westward, and the Antes, clan by clan, raiding party by raiding party, were finding the Danube border ill fortified and poorly garrisoned. The Romans were stretched thin, and the majority of the forces they did have were emplaced to watch the waning Gepid Kingdom.

The Antes raiding parties were small and mobile, groups of lightly equipped men ahorse or on foot. Their raids were disorganized - and indeed the Antes were not even a unified people, being a mix of Iranic and Slavic tribes under the nominal hegemony of a common King named Idariz. Their tendency to take the Thracians as slaves only further damaged an already critically depopulated province. Soon, various groups of raiders and brigands marginally loyal to the Roman regime were squatting in captured forts in Scythia Minor and Moesia Inferior, and despite the best efforts of the Roman commander Julian, a veteran of the Gothic War, several of these fortresses were not recaptured - rather treaties were re-negotiated.

The favorite Roman practice of divide and conquer was used here, and it was not without short-term benefits. These new petty warlords provided settlers in a region ravaged by plague and their own deprivations, and were cheerfully willing to keep Idariz from re-asserting dominance over them.
But by 547, the Antes were on the warpath in a semi-unified form. The "foederati" were just as quick to betray the Romans and allow their kin to cross into Roman territory. Meanwhile, another related people, called by the Romans the Sklaveni, crossed the Danube at Sykibid, plundering Thrace and Dacia. The walls of the city of Serdica had been allowed to fall into ill repair, and the city was subjected to a five day sack. The Antes made it as far as Hadrianopolis before Belisarius, recalled to Constantinople by Emperor Zeno II lead an army out and repulsed them, killing Idariz in the thick of the battle. But despite consistently strong Roman performances on the field of battle, the Balkans were now a sieve. The Diocese of Thrace was breaking open.

There was simply no room for the Slavic tribes to retreat. In 550, it was the Kutrigurs under Samur Khan who now filled the role Attila once played - driving the barbarians to the gates. The deployment of an additional Roman army stemmed the tide somewhat, but a group the Roman historians call "White Sklaveni" defeated it in battle in 551. After this, Belisarius fought a long holding action - capably preventing the Balkans from being penetrated south of an imaginary line stretching from Hadrianopolis to Doclea, and reasserting Imperial authority over much of the Balkans. However, the constant stress of campaigning and a lack of reinforcements took its toll both on the army and Belisarius. The Emperor's increasingly unrealistic demands to reclaim the Danube fortifications further exacerbated the situation, but the General fought on heroically on through 553, when he passed away under unclear circumstances, falling from his horse never to rise.

His replacement, one Flavius Hadrianus would enjoy mixed success. Despite being popular as a commander, he was a Monophysite, and also prone to personal scandals and insubordination. Under Hadrianus, the Romans lost their tentative control over the Sklaveni territories.

By 556, the Langobards, which under the rule of Emperor Vitalian had been "given" jurisdiction over Pannonia had also subjugated the Gepids and brought them under their crown as allies. However, their King, an aged but charismatic man had other ambitions, and the Empire's imperiled situation allowed him great leeway to act as he saw fit with tacit Imperial consent from the regional governor. Ostensibly protecting the Empire from the depravity of the Sklaveni, Audoin sent armies south, battling the Sklaveni and also ensuring that what was once Roman Illyrium was now his own personal fief, occupied and defended by his own troops. That local leaders did not object overmuch is a sign of the collapse of Imperial authority in the Balkans.

In 558, Samur Khan and his Kutrigurs crossed over the border themselves, subjugating what remained of the Antes. However, this proved to be perhaps the saving grace of the Romans - despite initial failures in repelling the Kutrigurs, they were ultimately repulsed against the Danube, and the border fortifications recovered. Despite this success, Illyrium was not wholly reclaimed - an exhausted Zeno signed a treaty allowing Pannonia and Dalmatia to remain under Langobard rule, and the northern Balkans were heavily depopulated.

Transformations Continued

Sogdia and Baktria, the twin crossroads of cultures were in a period of great growth. The "Thousand Cities" were not ravaged by plagues and warfare as Mesopotamia was - accustomed to low level tribal raiding, and well defended by their Eftalid overlords, Sogdia in particular blossomed artistically and culturally, entering a golden age which mirrored that of India in time and place. Buddhism and the veneration of Hindu deities (with Sogdian names) became more commonplace, and with the patronage of the Eftal Shahs, those religions overturned the traditional Zoroastrianism of the Sogdian mercantile elite.

It was an era typified by the construction of beautiful viharas and temples, of beautiful paintings and great works of Buddhist philosophy. Further south in Baktria, Balkh grew into a city of famous opulence, her merchants traveling far afield with their carvans. Not far from the wealthiest commercial hub of the eastern Eftalid Empire, Piandjikent became a great palace city, famed for its opulent frescoed walls and sublime gardens. Ruled by the Satrap of Balkh, Queen Iashe's brother, it was said to have far surpassed Susa in beauty and decadence.

Across the Gozan river, which the Greeks called the Oxus, the Iranian peoples of Xvarazm did not perhaps welcome their overlords with open arms, but these were people not dissimilar from the Eftal - both had the same heritage, worshipped similar deities, and paid tribute to the Satrap in Piandjikent. They relied on their Eftal cousins for defense against the migrations which periodically came down from the steppe, and to that end, high walled fortresses, designed by Baktrian architects were constructed along the Gozan and leased to local dihqan (lords) and their retainers to guard.

The Celestial Tujue were growing in power on the horizon, but they had not yet come into contact with the Eftal in any violent way. The two powers enjoyed aimiable relations - nephews of the Tujue Qagan were fostered in Pianjikent, and one of the Satrap's sons, Ezwarhran, was married to a Tujue noblewoman. They preserved and protected the trade routes which wound through their territories, making a great deal of profit from this mutual security and respect. The latter half of the sixth century CE was a safe one for merchants, in contrast to the turbulent wars and upheaval of the first fifty years.

The other region which truly prospered was that of the Persian gulf, a region where few Eftal lived - a small ruling class of Eftal controlled a major route of trade, often with the help of Arabian mercenaries and Kidarite settlers. Temples to gods such as Mahadeva and Mithra were patronized heavily in this region, indicating the decline of Ahura Mazda and orthodox Zoroastrianism as ever more complex heretical, local traditions developed, incorporating new deities and spirits, and frequently accepting the concept of reincarnation - an idea which had been growing for some time. The Persian gulf was rich in poetry and art, sculpture and architecture. Like the East, it was a place where philosophical and scientific traditions could mix, but here also new agricultural activities - it is around this time that citrus plants began to be cultivated in Mesopotamia in large quantities. They would come to be an important ingredient in much of Iranian cooking.

Indian Ocean trade brought much wealth to the region. It was between 550-650 that the trading cities of Pangani, Rapta, Msasani, Shanga, and many others were founded in East Africa by Arabic, Persian, Marathi, and Tamil merchants and adventurers, often with the backing of the Hadhrami, who benefitted greatly from the new flow of ivory, slaves, gold, and spices. Even Javanese merchant vessels reached the Island of the Moon in this time period - by 600, there was a flourishing international trade across the ocean, financed by Persian and Arab merchants.

The Alans, the Armenians and the Loyalists

The Eftal-Roman wars were fought with large numbers of Alan mercenaries, but the Alans were a people under pressure. Their traditional homeland, across the Caucasus, was under threat by the Sahu tribal confederacy, an Iranic group who drove the Alans further south each year. By 546, they had reached the breaking point, and streamed through the Caucasian Gates - at first as a trickle of refugees, but eventually as a military force - into Armenia and Lazica. Aligning themselves with an opportunistic Abasgian prince, they conquered Lazica and many of the river valleys of Iberia.

Their attempt to penetrate Armenia and thus the Eftal Shahdom ended at the battle of Kumyari, when the Armenians repulsed the Alans relatively single-handedly. Since the early sixth century, Armenia's local lords, the naxarar, had enjoyed essential total autonomy within their region. When the Eftal had broke the back of the Sasanian Empire, they had not settled Armenia or even done more than acknowledge it as a vassaldom. However, within the past twenty years leading up to Kumyari, the Armenians had slowly been asserting their independence against a distracted Eftal regime. After the Eftal-Roman war, and the devastating plague which had effected their isolated mountain communities only lightly, they began to push their limits.

Kumyari was that limit. The Eftal had sent aid, of course, but it had been so late in coming that it had been irrelevant, and shortly thereafter the Eftal were driven out in a concerted uprising, lead by one Anastas Varazhnuni. Khauwashta now was forced to respond to this uprising of the Armenians - one which Anastas characterized in the language of religious war, rallying his people. He defeated Shah Khauwashta at the battle of Surenapat, and a second, primarily Iranian army in the battle of Xram, an ambush which saw the Satrap of Adurbadagan slain. By 552, the Armenian Kingdom was acknowledged as independent at the treaty of Dvin. Khauwashta, in spite of his legacy of economic prosperity and military reform, would see his legacy primarily defined by two unsuccessful campaigns - the stalemate against the Romans and defeat against the Armenians cemented his position in history, and overwrote his early victories on the steppe.

Retreating home battered and beaten, Khauwashta was incapable of preventing his own son-in-law, Akhshunwar, from overthrowing him with the assistance and complicity of his wife, Iashe, whose role in the coup would alternately be exaggerated or denied depending on the history one reads. Either way, Khauwashta's legacy would finally be an inglorious one, in spite of his many accomplishments. He was slain in 553 while hunting outside Susa. Akhshunwar II would not be crowned until a year later, after being forced to flee the capital by the "partisans of Khauwashta", he retreated to Pianjikent, where he raised an army of Sogdian and Xionite auxiliaries, gained the allegiance of the eastern Eftals, and rode back on Susa.

The loyalists were a mixed group, a scattering of Eftal and Persian aristocrats. Akhshunwar enjoyed broad support, no doubt to the clever scheming of his mother-in-law and the humiliation of Khauwashta in battle. Although Khauwashta's younger half-brother, Nijara led the loyalists, he failed to act decisively enough in this instance, and had never had any expectation of gaining the throne, nor was he willing to attempt to claim it once Akhshunwar did. This confusion of his intent doomed his movement from the beginning.

When Akhshunwar marched on Susa, Nijara and Khauwashta's loyalists fled. They attempted to find sanctuary in Ctesiphon, but the Satrap there kept the gates closed to them, and indeed sallied forth from his walls with his retainers, scattering the loyalists. Defeated, the loyalists retreated to Khishiwan, where they hoped to gain the loyalty of bedouin mercenaries and carry on a long war. But it was not to be. Akhshunwar proved to be a capable commander and an excellent politician - soon the local cities had turned against the loyalists, and to avoid an hopeless siege the loyalists fled into Arabia, reaching first Tayma, where they stayed for a few months, and then Yathrib.

This period is seen as the first low point in Eftal history, despite the blossoming of commerce and culture in the east and south. The loss of Armenia was a minor blow, perhaps more the confirmation of a long-established truth, and the migration of the Alans was a defeat for Roman interests just as much as Eftal interests - both sides had lost control over parts of the Caucasus they regarded as part of their hegemony. The Romans, of course, would send try to send forces to recover the territory of their lost vassals, but these forces were small and many of the most competent Roman generals were long past their prime. They ultimately settled for acknowledging the Alans as an ally, and making diplomatic overtures to the new Armenian state.

Last edited: