Awesome job BMunro. This'll be a great resource going forward!

Is Iceland independent, and how is it doing? Or is that spoiler territory for the sequel?

How is Ireland doing, don't think it was mentioned. And how are the Finns doing? Have they been changed by the exposure to Buddhism? I kinda want to check in on the Magyars too... perhaps the unluckiest people in TTL aside from the Greeks. I don't see how Sweden can stay independent forever, unless Gardaveldi really wants to protect it. Has there been any German migration to the Nordic countries? Seeing as populations are higher, and Poland is hostile, the Baltic might make a good alternative to OTL migrations.

Has anything changed significantly on New Guinea TTL? I'm kind of fuzzy on what TTL islands the Indonesian polities are on. Has there been any migration of peoples around the archipelago?

Also, the fire-shrine from the last update I was thinking would look something like this, but with a narrow onion dome/spire containing the main sacrificial flame. Also it would probably have a little extra height in places to allow for interior rooms.

Last edited:
I'm delurking to say that I have been enjoying this tl for a couple of months now. One of the main reasons I stop by the forum a few times a week.

I think what I like about it, aside from that it is good writing, is the creativity. This tl Is
so different from what I usually see on this forum. The early parts especially. When you started mixing familiar cultures in new ways and had interludes like theological debates it reminded me of Male Rising.

Looking forward to the next chapter.:)

Wow guys, thanks for all of the kind words. Glad everyone's enjoying this thread!

Iceland is not so terribly different from OTL, but anything more is something I'd prefer to save for the next thread, Hobelhouse.

Ireland is a mix of Norse and Celtic kingdoms - with the Norse concentrated along the southern and northern coasts. They are famous for their magnificent finished goods, particularly religious iconography and the like. Irish history however, is something that hasn't had too big of an impact on the world at large yet, and is something I personally need to learn more about before I start writing in-depth coverage on them. It's on my things to do list, haha.

On New Guinea? Not so much. However I hope to make at least a rough map of Indonesia soon to make all of that more comprehensible and easier for Munro to map.

and I hope you guys
West Africa

Tauregs – Where there are caravans crisscrossing the wide deserts of their homeland, the Tauregs are there. The introduction of the camel several centuries earlier has made their jobs easier, and even with the rise of maritime trade lanes facilitated by the Andilanders (Canary Island Norse) trans-Saharan land trade still is a valuable and indeed crucial part of the West African economy.

Accordingly, the Tauregs have something of a mixed reputation among their fellows. Traditionally they are somewhat few, living on marginal land where the climate does not favor substantial agriculture. However, they are also disproportionately wealthy and powerful, and the vastness of the desert and their importance to the trade networks of the region keeps that wealth safe. But the Tauregs are also outsiders – their distinctive blue veils and unique, “mysterious” customs keep them from ever being fully integrated into the societies they trade with.

Christianity, especially Christianity mixed with Berber polytheism, is well-known to the Tauregs, as they work with many Mauri merchants. However, even among the moderate percentage of Tauregs that have adopted Christianity, outwardly they are much more inclined to identify as members of a tribal group than by religious identification. Uniquely within the time period faith for the Tauregs is a more personal matter, and accordingly for a population of travelers they have produced remarkably few missionaries. The cult of the Supreme Being also has some devotees, but these are few and far between, given the religion's relatively explicit Mande cultural context.

Ghana – The streets of Ghana are not, as they are in legend, lined with shimmering gold. Indeed, the gold of Ghana is mostly hidden. Her kings have always been notoriously stingy with their vast wealth, and this has proven to be an excellent strategy now that the gold and salt mines are lost to her and political power is shifting south to Niani.

The population of Ghana is perhaps half of what it was in her peak, and the foreign quarter is reduced to a few groups of less successful Tauregs and some lingering Mauri mendicants who seek to preach their faith to the King. They whisper that if only the King accepts the true God he will be rewarded as the men of Kanem have been rewarded for their rightly guided faith. Ghana could become great again, they say, if only he would be willing to take up the sword of the Votive warrior.

This is not true, however. Ghana’s days of glory are long behind her.

Djenne – recently, Djenne has grown vast as Ghana has sunk into irrelevancy. Now, Djenne sits at the head of a steadily growing empire which has incorporated much of the river’s length into itself. Indeed, even Gao, its onetime ally, has fallen into its orbit. With Ghana cast into the dustbin of history as the sands advance, Djenne along the river rises to claim its place as first of cities in the Sahel.

The Djenne religion is at least notionally the new paganism of the Mande peoples, the cult of the Supreme Being which holds so much sway among the urban elites and so little sway outside of that small niche. The Supreme Being cult provides a strong justification for the practice of divine Kingship. Just as God rules above with his host of divine servants, the lesser gods, so too does the king rule, and his host of servants answer his will without question.

Niani
– The city state of Niani has grown into a sizable empire in its own right, owing to the unification of many Bambara tribes around a single great king, or Mansa. Ruling the southern half of the Mande world, Niani is a fierce rival of Djenne, but the two states have much in common. Both economically depend on the gold and salt trade. Both worship Ngala-Nyama, the Supreme Being, in his manifold forms, as taught by the great Poet-Historian Nakhato.

However, Niani is closer to the sources of wealth, and in recent years they have been seeking a path to undercut the Djenne Empire’s overland trade by turning west. The city of Takrur, one of the largest ports on the coast of Africa, is their path to this. The Fula kingdom there does trade with the Andilanders, and increasingly the Niani think that this maritime route might in one fell swoop cut the Djenne and their Taureg allies out of the equation as middlemen.

However, there is a careful balance to be struck. If trade declines too precipitously, the Niani know that the Djenne will turn on them, seeking to seize the productive land of the south for themselves. So their goal has been to slowly starve their northern rivals, subsidizing merchants to bring smaller and smaller quantities of precious trade goods north each year, while pleading ignorance as they build the “salt road” across the continent to Takrur.

Kanem – roughly a century and a half after their glorious “Votive” victories, the Kanem rule an impressive land empire, and one which is religiously unified to a remarkable degree. As an important stop on West African trade lanes with the Ukwu Empire to the south and the Mande kingdoms to the west, whosoever controls Kanem cannot help but prosper.

Kanem is still a theocracy ruled by the Kay and the Dalai “Students” but it has moderated significantly. Without the zeal of new converts, their religious activities have become subdued – they are now content to send embassies across the continent to preach the good news, but these embassies are generally laughed out of court. So instead Kanem has turned inwards. Beautiful copies of the Bible, written in the Kay language, and enormous churches of clay and roughstone are the legacy of their rule. The artisans who once crafted idols now craft iconography of Christ and the Saints.

East Africa

Gidaya – the story of Gidaya is that of a vacuum that was never filled. The collapse of the Hawiya Empire left Egypt to briefly fill its shoes, but with the fall of Egypt at the beginning of the eleventh century, there has been no local hegemon to enforce order. The Kingdom of Gidaya is a weak, coastal state ruled by the descendants of Hawiya – whose pluralistic monarchy is now nothing more than a distant memory.

The Gidayan state is a Christian one, and time, neglect, and distrust have combined to annihilate the great Jain and Buddhist universities of the North African coast. Whole libraries have been lost to the desert as changes in the climate have substantially diminished the whole region and its former position as a major producer of incense. Now Gidaya’s hinterland is a country of traveling mendicants, subsistence pastoralists, and bandits. The city itself endures as an entrepot, but in that capacity it has been surpassed by other more ideally located seats such as Adulis and Aden.

Axum – The Giramid Kingdom fell to the nomadic pagan and Jewish warlords of the Zanafij tribe in 1024, and after that defeat the ephemeral glories of the Giramid Negus of Shoa have never been restored. Axum now is curious and divided country. Jewish warlord-states sustain themselves on highland pastoralism, and fortified monastery-communities which dot the mountains and hillsides of the region are the major seats of political power. They maintain the history and traditions of Axum in spite of centuries of constant degradation, and maintain the dream of a united Axum once again ruled by a descendant of holy King Solomon.

Adulis – The ruler of Adulis, Cawil Elmidua, is a devout and pious man, and the city he rules is a garden akin to heaven in the great emptiness of the red desert. Intricate irrigation works, a legacy of Hawiya architects maintained by careful stewardship has allowed the city to remain green, with opulent hanging gardens considered to be true wonder of the world. A nominal vassal of Makuria, Adulis is mostly responsible for its own defense and affairs, and to this purpose has built high walls and a series of border forts to guard against the Zanafij.

Makuria – The greatest of the Monophysite kingdoms, Makuria has blossomed with the destruction of Egypt. Many of the greatest thinkers and intellectual works of Alexandria have been transplanted to the south, to Tungul, which is often called the “new Alexandria” and is the seat of the Patriarchate-in-exile.

The current King, Abraham II, has recently presided over a disastrous invasion of Egypt, an event which shall surely define his entire reign. Rumors at court imply that he will step down from the throne in favor of his son Zacharias, who though young and energetic is widely considered to be a rude and arrogant boy. His father however is either unaware or unconcerned with these defects, and in the several-year waiting period before he can truly retreat into monastic seclusion, he has done little to prepare the state or to repair its army.

However, Makuria is not a weak state. Ambitious generals have pushed back the warlords of the south and secured the Daju borders. The bureaucracy, modeled off of the old Egyptian system, is an efficient and well-oiled machine. The monarch’s dispassionate lethargy has not been so crippling as it might have been in another power. The simply calculus of Makurian politics have not meaningfully changed either. To become more than it currently is, to aspire to any greatness beyond the Upper Nile, it must necessarily conquer Egypt. However the Khardi, despite their general mismanagement of the province are excellent warriors – the weakness of Makuria’s armies was starkly revealed to them at the Cataracts. The Makurian army had been prepared to fight its southern foes, disorganized horse raiders and brigands. Against a heavy charge of cavalry sheeted in mail and barding, their forces were found particularly wanting. Despite Makurian skill in archery and experience facing down the lightly armored Khardi soldiery, their forces broke long before the impact of Khardi barge-pole lances, and their center was thrown into total disarray.

If they can overcome this deficiency, or if the Khardi collapse and lose access to heavy Ifthal horse, the Makurian army might sail down the Nile and rule its whole length from Tungul or Alexandria. And then, when Alexandria is theirs and trade flows freely once more, what then? Jerusalem is not so far, and the holiest of cities, the axis mundi, might be theirs.

Last edited:
An update in this magnificent timeline always makes my day.

Can that sly Niani plan really work?

As it stands, I don't see Makurians rule Jerusalem...

Not necessarily, given that the west african states typically have very secure control over their precious gold and salt resources. Also their road policy is rather overt, their neighbors just consider it something of a boondoggle project.

That said if you think it's unrealistic, I can change it. I was trying to think of a good way to represent state influence over the shift of African trade towards the coast.

Not necessarily, given that the west african states typically have very secure control over their precious gold and salt resources. Also their road policy is rather overt, their neighbors just consider it something of a boondoggle project.

That said if you think it's unrealistic, I can change it. I was trying to think of a good way to represent state influence over the shift of African trade towards the coast.
No no no, I don`t think it´s unrealistic that, say, the Niani are trying such a scheme.
I just wanted to express my anticipatory feeling that, when the Djenne are going to find out that it´s a concerted strategy aimed at weakening them gradually, they`re going to want to do something about it.

Ah yes, that's almost certainly true.

One of the big struggles I've been having with regards to West Africa is the lack of information on minor polities in the continent. There's a lot of archeological information but I'm not sure anyone wants to hear about the specific type of dimpled pottery an ethnic group subject to the Djenne made in 900, and that wouldn't fit the theme or style of this story.

As time advances, more information becomes availible and the historical record is more clear. Fortunately butterflies grant me some creativity in that regard as well, but in some times and places I find myself inventing a lot based on conjecture of what is possible or doable. Even more fortunately, the future will see radical changes to West Africa, especially in a world where the trans-Atlantic slave trade is butterflied. As coastal trade in west Africa grows I'll have a lot of freedom creatively to take inspiration from the states that developed OTL while creating something hopefully quite original and yet still realistic.

Last edited:
Have enjoyed
Vignette: The Grandee and the Leviathans

Nfansou found himself often having to suppress his credulity whenever he saw the wooden ships at dock. Many others were still ashore, great husks like the bodies of beached whales decaying in reverse. Skeletal planks of wood were layered upon each other, coated in tar and pitch until they glistened black in the hot savanna sun.

The timber was brought on huge barges, and the trunks were fatter than the legs of elephants, hoary old trees from the south and the interior, where the empty salt sea was a barrier not an opportunity. His people were the ones blessed by the Supreme God, the ones who would take to the seas and conquer them as the pale-skinned northerners had.

His own people labored under the instruction of these northmen, while he, their nominal supervisor and supposed master of the navy, languished beneath the spreading boughs of a nearby tree, drinking Mauri wine. He understood nothing of the sea, of the wide salt emptiness that was beyond the white beaches of this country. He was a grandee, and like nobility the world over he lived for the saddle, for the rush of wind, and he worshipped a shimmering golden horse with diamond eyes at the altar of the spirits.

These boats however, they were a different sort of thing. The Fulbe had no tales of the ocean, no legends worth recounting, but the peoples who dwelled along the water, who cast nets and dove for shellfish had their own tales of monsters in the outer dark, of vermiculate and muscular leviathans with fat and toothy maws. And beyond the desert the Kay and the Frangis told stories of Nowa, he of the Ark who sailed the oceans for forty days to conquer a new land for his sons, or perhaps to escape some famine or plague. The details of false legends never concerned him.

For this reason, Nfansou, cousin of the king, gave little thought to the fanatic merchants with their starry eyes and their promises of the world beyond. He gave more stock to the words of the Northmen, who said that the afterlife was not so different from this world. That he could see. That he could understand. And if the self-proclaimed prophet of the Tauregs brought the men of the indigo veils down upon the Fula they would fight hard. Were they not a people born to holy struggle? Had their ancestors not brought low the fast horsemen of Ghana? Had Diawallo not broken a demon upon a potter’s wheel? They kept patience through suffering, kept dignity and resolve, and now the gods conspired to reward them.

The people of the north were barbarians in so many ways. They lacked dignity and restraint. Their curiosity was idle and they were at once childlike and akin to slaves. They were tillers of the soil in the main, and kept no cattle. What gold they were given they spent on whores and booze and trinkets. But to them the ocean was life and wealth. And if the King told Nfansou to learn their secrets, then Nfansou would sit in the shade and watch, his Jola attendants and interpreters close at hand.

The northmen would come to him from time to time and they would speak. They would tell him of the laborers’ progress and haltingly explain sailing to the inland princeling who was their patron and their master. The order of the world would soon be restored. Nfansou would cross the ocean and find the lands of gold that lay beyond it. With iron and horse he would break the peoples he found there, and then he too might be a king.

Across the waves, gulls were crying. Nfansou took a sip of the wine.

Today was a good day. Tomorrow would be still better.

Question: do the two successor states to Madagascarene Izaoriaka have names yet, or are they just "bit of former Izaokaria ruled by A's dynasty and bit bit ruled by B's dynasty?

Edit: west African Conquistadors? I am pleased. :) also wondering if anyone has given a shot at colonizing Mauritius and Reunion: with a *Madagascar that is a sea-going colonizer of some status, seems there a good chance Izaorika would give it the ol' College (Temple?) try.

best,
Bruce

Last edited:
Izaoriaka is one island with one people and many tribal groups. Different tribal groups are subject to different rulers, that's all. It wouldn't make much sense to give them different names.

I'm intrigued that we're getting a version of Mansa Abu Bkr II that 's going to be more than legend.
And you've got an ambitious royal Fula spearheading it as well.

Very cool.

The ride
The End of the Beginning

As the first Andilander Norse take tentative steps across the Atlantic and the exchange between New and Old Worlds begins, I’d like to go back in time six hundred years for the sake of context.

For all the shock of the initial Hephthalite invasion, for all the ramifications of the death of Shah Kavad, the sack of Ctesiphon, the mass movement of eastern steppe peoples into Syria and Mesopotamia, looking back it is sometimes difficult to understand how that led to the discovery of the New World in 1104 by Bjorn Solva[1], an Andilander of Anglish ancestry.

What if the Hepthalites, or Eftal, as they became known, had simply gone East? One might argue indeed, that the wealthy Indo-Gangetic plain was the logical direction for any ambitious conqueror. India was a far richer prize, valuable beyond reckoning. But the Hepthalites became entangled in the politics of the Near East, and became especially tied to the Sasanian Empire’s policies in many regards. They found themselves persecuting Christians and warring with Rome, and with those twin steps they set in motion events which would be the final nail in the coffin for the classical world.

Meanwhile, the Gupta and their Maukhani successors were allowed to build a peaceful and prosperous universal empire which laid the ground work for scientific and social revolution over the next six centuries. The Hepthalites contented themselves with a lesser prize, although they could not have known what other glories were possible. They did not follow in the footsteps of the Saka and Kushan, though that precedent was long set. Instead they turned their destructive impulses against the Roman Empire. The legacy of the classical world, accordingly, would be limited to the Western Mediterranean.

The imported culture of the Hephthalites was Indo-Iranian, and that culture would endure and dominate the Middle East, filtering through Arabia and Mesopotamia, through Kurdistan and Armenia and ultimately Turkistan. Where in another world Arabic might have come to predominate, here the closest thing to hegemonic culture was the uniquely blended heritage of so many Central Asian peoples.

The Hephthalites might have wreaked unspeakable devastation on India. They might not have closed the floodgates that allowed so many warlike peoples into the subcontinent, by diverting the martial strength of the Iranian world directly westward. Their conquering Shahs might have been known for sacking Buddhist stupas and universities, rather than destroying Christian churches and monasteries.

Within this timeline, less charitable scholars of later centuries, seeking to rebut an established scholarly trend based on the writings of the Khardi, would say that the Eftal made a garden into a desert and called it a golden age. While the climatic degradation of the Near East cannot be attributed to the Eftal, in an intellectual sense that is certainly true. The Eftal golden age was based on received knowledge from India and Iran – it involved few original discoveries, and in that period much of Greek learning was lost across the Middle East, only to be discovered much, much later by researchers seeking lost vaults of knowledge. The Kurds followed in their footsteps, annihilating much of what the Copts had preserved, and taking the rest back to Susa where it would be lost following the collapse of their regime. By contrast, Indian learning had an unbroken source of received knowledge going back to ancient times, a foundation if nothing else kept safe in monasteries and generally preserved by successive monarchs and republics. Even Europe, where the collapse of Rome was certainly disruptive to the social fabric of the time, managed to preserve far, far more.

In another world, however, Europe might have benefitted more from the learning preserved in the Near East and in a longer lived Eastern Roman Empire. Classical learning might have not taken such heavy body-blows, and been far more disseminated. So many times throughout its history, European civilization had to reinvent the wheel, so to speak.

It is difficult to speak in such broad brushstrokes. Plenty of Indian learning was lost through history, and plenty of Greek knowledge preserved. China, for its part, maintained an independent and unbroken tradition of philosophy and science. The world, generally speaking, moved forwards, although it did so haltingly and unevenly. West Africa spent most of the time period we have examined broadly isolated from the larger world, and accordingly its culture was alien to Eurasia – although it will not be for long.

A new era is on the horizon, one utterly different from anything that came before. Global history has been leading to this moment, the dawn of the Ragnarssen exchange and the great Contact which would profoundly alter human civilization. The genie of revolution was out of the bottle as well – the old certainties that had defined the Indian subcontinent up until the Maukhani were gone, and the systems that replaced them were universally more ephemeral. This new era will be one of interconnectedness, of trade and finance, of mass movements and social revolution, of bloodthirsty conquest and the horrors of increasingly modern and global warfare, of unprecedented prosperity and technological advancement for all.

That is what begins in the year 1104. From Bjorn Solva’s boot-print on white island sands radiate out infinite possibilities. His path, whether inevitable or not, will define the coming centuries.

Author's Note

I can’t think of a proper end to this part of the story. It’s been running for over a year, and I’ve poured a lot of time and thought into it. Of course, it won’t end. Not truly. There are guest posts yet to finish, and for my part I plan to take the story onwards into the future for quite some time still.

However, as most of you well know by now, that will be done in a different thread. The story has evolved and changed; the story will continue to evolve and change. I hope everyone who’s slogged their way through the hundreds of thousands of words of print that this alternate history produced has enjoyed their time, and I sincerely hope you’ll all continue to read going forwards.

Stay tuned for the New World of the White Huns.

[1] Unlike Christopher Columbus, Bjorn Solva is actually rather less known in this timeline. The poor guy was the first to discover the New World in 1104, but that credit goes to the brothers Ragnarssen in 988, who found OTL's Newfoundland and profited immensely from telling tales of their adventures amongst the Skraelings. As such there's no Solvian exchange, and while 1104 is marked as the discovery of the New World proper, Solva plays second fiddle in the history books. Poor bastard.

The vignette, though it may be obvious, does not focus on Solva but a less successful contemporary.

Last edited:
Bravo!!!

I liked your ending.

Kind of brought it all back together.
Part 1 has been a hell of ride. Can't wait to see part 2.

Hoorah! Three cheers for a great thread and scenario! Hoorah! Hoorah!

My own little contribution continues to slowly grow: since I am a bit unsure about exact sizes and positions of things in Africa, I hope to get some feedback at this point. Also, that map of the Indonesia area. :)

Sample4.png

I've been absolutely in love with this timeline! I can't wait to see what you do with the next!

Great way to wrap up :)

I have to wonder if classical knowledge isn't in some way more widely disseminated TTL. After all the Renaissance was sparked when Greek scholars went to Italy following the fall of the Byzantine Empire... TTL the Greek World has basically been melting down continuously for the last couple centuries. I expect that compared to OTL, more classical works are preserved in Western European libraries. OTOH, new scholarship based off the old classical works has probably suffered a lot.

Thanks guys!

You're right that some stuff would have made it out more quickly. However I don't think you can discount the role of Arab scholars in preserving Greek works, and didn't happen nearly as much in this timeline - the Eftal preserved a lot less of Greek culture, for a variety of reasons. Western Europe has gotten lucky however - the "Roman Empire" in Italy preserved a lot, and there's been long periods of relative peace and substantial urban development.

So yeah, Western Europe's better off than OTL in some respects, but regardless is still obviously very 'early medieval' in culture in outlook. That will undeniably play a role in how their interactions with the New World go.

The real winners are probably the West Africans though, who won't have to endure anything akin to a slave trade in this timeline.