The Admiral and the Marshal
Thanks to Unknown for editing the original text.

The Admiral and the Marshal

5th January 1807

Domingos de Lima, the 7th Marquis of Niza and Admiral of the Royal Portuguese Navy, stood in the harbor, appreciating the view of the Adamastor and the Príncipe D. Pedro, the newest acquisitions of the Navy.

They were the first two of the seventy-fours that he had ordered five years ago, with the other two, the Luso and the Serpente, receiving their last preparations before being launched in two to three months.

As the Adamastor left the harbor on its way to India, the admiral was filled with a sense of pride. He had worked these last few years for the purpose of watching the navy of his nation reaffirm its position on the world stage.

The navy might be far away from its glory days, when the Portuguese pendant inspired fear in both friend and foe alike but, with the Spanish and French navies destroyed and demoralized and with the British having stolen the Danish ships, he had no doubt that he commanded the most powerful war fleet of Europe, after the British Royal Navy.

As he kept contemplating the ships, he heard steps approaching from behind him.

"A beautiful sight, isn't it?" he said, without looking to see the approaching man.

"Indeed it is." answered the newcomer in a slow, accented voice. Even after living almost six years in Portugal, he still didn't have domination of Portuguese and he spoke it in a slow and heavily accented way.

"And they are just the first two." continued the admiral. "In a couple of months, two more will be ready to set sail."

As the other man stood after his last remark, Admiral de Lima took one last view at the ships and turned to face the elderly Prussian marshal.

"It is always a pleasure to see you, Marshal but, from what I’ve heard, you didn't come all this way from the border just to see my new ships."

As the Prussian pointed at a nearby bench for them to sit down in, he confirmed that he had come in a urgent business that only he and him could knew.

"Secrecy and hidden plans?" mocked the admiral. "I thought the Prussian way was to press forward until the enemy was crushed."

"I'm afraid we might have some serious business coming from France."

"What?"

"Marshal Soult has gathered a new corps-size force in France; they are mostly green recruits and conscripts, from what I heard, but fifty thousand men could turn the tide."

"My Naval Fusiliers are at your disposal."

"We will need something more than just the naval brigade."

At this comment, von der Gotlz fell silent, as if thinking how he should phrase his next thought.

"How long would it take for you to bring soldiers from Brazil?"

At this, de Lima was caught off guard. Colonial soldiers on the continent; who had ever heard of such a thing, he thought but, then, it was brilliant. If what the Marshal said was true, then the Army might hold for some time but, eventually, the Corsican Ogre would turn his eyes to the peninsula.

"It depends on how many men we need to bring."

"Ten battalions."

de Lima was speechless. If bringing a company of colonials to Europe was unheard off, then to bring ten thousand colonial soldiers into Europe would be unthinkable. Ten thousand wouldn't be enough to face the French but, then, the idea that Portugal would resort to its colonies for manpower would put its enemies off guard.

"If we begin preparations now, I might have them here by late August." he said, after a while. "But how the hell do we have so many men in a bloody colony?"

"After the war began, I sent word to the army staff in Brazil with orders to recruit and equip fifteen battalions."

"If I am to bring ten thousand colonials here ,I must go back to the Arsenal to begin preparations."

As the admiral was preparing to leave, Marshal von der Goltz signaled for him to stay.

"Those won't be the only men you will have to bring from the colonies."

Now de Lima froze.

The Marshal certainly couldn't be thinking about them!! They were scoundrels, scumm and traitors. Those kind of men had no right to step foot on the sacred Portuguese soil.

"von der Goltz you must be kidding. The Black Coats are not the type of the men we want where."

"They are exactly the type of men we want here." As the Admiral looked at him in disbelief he explained. "Desperate? Yes. Traitors? Some of them are. But they are the toughest and meanest sons of bitches we have in the entire empire. After four years in Angola, the weak are all dead and the remaining ones are the type of soldiers we want."

"But, according to the law, no Penal Battalion may steep foot in the lands of the Kingdoms of Portugal and the Algarves."

"That's why they are going to be renamed the Foreign Legion."

"I still think is wrong to bring them. But you are the Marshal and the Prince trusts your judgment and, as such, I will oblige. The colonials will be here by August or September and I will have the others here by April. Now, if you excuse me, I must go back to make all the arrangements."

As the Admiral left to go to the Naval Arsenal, the Prussian Marshal stayed on the harbor.

For a while, he felt all of his sixty-seven years.

I’m too old for this shit. Fe thought for the hundredth time.

But he didn't stand idle for long.

For war doesn't wait for anyone.

*****​

The Penal Battalions or Black Coats are the original regiments that were sent to West Africa after the military coup of 1803.

They were broken as Army regiments and reformed as Penal Battalions (PB).

The nickname Black Coats comes from their black uniforms, a way to remember them of their treason.

Over time african tribesmen and diseases killed many members of the PB and both Portugal and Brazil begun to send men, the most brutal offenders, to them as way of death sentence.

Because of this the prisoners begun to be offered a choice either serve their time on jail or serve the same amount on the PB.

As more and more prisoners begun to chose the latter the PB begun to receive many numbers of foreigners that had committed some crime and preferred to serve their time on the PB.

In 1807 at least a third of the PB are composed of foreign nationals.

When von der Goltz decides to bring them to Portugal, and as the law forbids the PB to step foot on Portuguese soil (they could serve in the colonies but not on Portugal or the Algarves), they were renamed the Foreign Legion (Legião Estrangeira).

The name was inspired by the several Legions of foreigners the french had and also by the KGL. Because their were men from multiple nationalities it was decided to keep the four PB together and amalgamate them into a single Legion [while the both the French legions and the KGL kept the men according to their nationality (ex: Polish Legion, German Legion, etc...), the Foreign Legion had no such divisions, with Americans, Swedes, Portuguese, Spanish, etc... all fighting on the same battalion].

Last edited:
Great update!

The Foreign Legion is a good idea. One of Portugal's biggest problems was manpower. One of the smaller countries in Europe with a pretty large empire. Far too stretched. Bringing in Colonial and the new Foreign Legion troops will help ease that a lot.

One problem. Quite like how the British had with the Americans, many of the troops that rebelled were also troops that had fought in European Wars.

Any plans on how you are going to satisfy the 10,000 men who after the war are going to want something in return?

Great update!

The Foreign Legion is a good idea. One of Portugal's biggest problems was manpower. One of the smaller countries in Europe with a pretty large empire. Far too stretched. Bringing in Colonial and the new Foreign Legion troops will help ease that a lot.

One problem. Quite like how the British had with the Americans, many of the troops that rebelled were also troops that had fought in European Wars.

Any plans on how you are going to satisfy the 10,000 men who after the war are going to want something in return?

There is no plan to satisfy the colonial soldiers after the war.

von der Goltz and the rest of the portuguese high command, made the plan considering the needs of the country at the moment and have no plan to the post-war, except some possible gains in the americans and in asia.

The post-war is going to be one of the most important moments of the TL, as it will cover the way the great powers will shape the post-war world and the relations between the colonies and the colonial empires.

Depending on how it goes, it's possible to not only claim olivença back but also several other fortress-cities and their surrounding areas besides the gains overseas.
Also, if some of those overseas acquisitions go to Brazil, then the locals won't complain much since unlike with the 7 years war, it will benefit them directly instead of only the mainland.

Legions and Abdications
Thanks to Unknown for editing the original text.

Legions and Abdications

20th of February, 1807

0f9d0f801d1aa403b0a39391a7d0cf25.jpg

The Light Infantry of the Foreign Legion on the Peninsula

Pro honōre legiōnis (Latin for "For the Honor of the Legion")
Official Motto of the Foreign Legion

Os portadores da morte (Portuguese for "The bringers of death")
Unofficial Motto of the Foreign Legion

Colonel Fernando Lourenço, the commanding officer of the Foreign Legion and official commander of the First Infantry of the Legion - with Major Afonso Gomes acting as their de facto commander - watched with pride as his soldiers marched from Saint Michael's Fortress towards the harbor of São Paulo da Assunção de Loanda. There, a fleet, under the command of the Capitão de Mar e Guerra – or captain of sea and war - Jorge de Oliveira, waited to take them to the fatherland were they would join the newly formed Army of the North.

As the Second Legion Infantry marched, the Colonel moved forward to greet their commander, Lieutenant Colonel Viriato Reis.

"Colonel Reis, are your men ready?"

"The men of the Second are always ready for a good fight, sir." said the other officer with a grin. "And, for a change, we will know where the damn enemy is, sir. I was going tired of pursuing those damned tribesmen on the cursed savannah."

At this remark, the Colonel began to laugh.

"Well, Reis, if the men see your men, I have no doubt we will be pursuing them all the way to Paris, a far more dangerous place than Africa."

"Indeed, sir" said Reis, before giving a final salute and moving forward towards his men.

As the Second advanced the First Light Cavalry appeared with their three squadrons moving in a well-organized column, with the dragoons in the front, followed by the Hussars, with the Lancers in the rear.

As they passed by Colonel Lourenço, their commander, Major Jorge da Cruz, saluted the Colonel, while shouting to the Hussars to keep their horses under control.

In the end of the marching Legion came their artillery, the First Horse Artillery, with Captain Mauricio Moura leading them.

Four years ago, they had arrived in Angola as outcasts and traitors after the Alorna Coup and, now, they were leaving as hardened veterans marching to help defend the fatherland.

How do things change, he thought, I arrived here as a mere Captain and, now, I am leaving as commander of a corps of the army.

But he hadn't been the only one to change. His second in command, Afonso, had been an Ensign of the Second Battalion of the 10th Infantry, Reis had been a Lieutenant on the former Legion of Light Troops, da Cruz had served on the Hussars of the Light Troops as a Sergeant Major, and Moura had also been a Sergeant serving on the artillery of the former Legion.

They all had arrived here as green soldiers and would leave as hardened men, for Africa had no mercy for the weak, as the countless bodies of the soldiers that had been serving here for the last four years could prove.

They had survived Africa and, now, they would kill in Europe.

“And I have no doubt that, with your men, those boring Portuguese will be brought to their knees.” said Prince Ferdinand with his mouth full of venison.

As Marshal Soult saw both the King and the heir of the Kingdom of Spain, he could not avoid feeling nauseated.

With such men leading them, it’s a miracle the Portuguese aren’t already in the Pyrenees, he thought.

Why he had to get such a horrible assignment, he didn’t know.

He had missed the Battle of Eylau, where Murat had won eternal glory for leading the charge that had stopped the Russians.

Missing such a glorious battle was a disgrace in his eyes, but at least he would have the pleasure of teaching the two pigs in front of him a lesson.

“Tell me, Marshal, when will you advance against those scoundrels that refuse to accept the glorious leadership of Spain?” asked the King.

“Well, your Majesty, it will be a while before I march against them.”

“May I know why?”

With an indulgent smile on his face, Soult took a letter from his uniform and handed it to the King.

“The Emperor wishes that you would read this.”

As the King of Spain read the letter, Soult was tempted to laugh as the King’s face got more surprised by the minute.

“The Emperor must be joking, he expects me to abdicate that is…”

Before the King could finish, Prince Ferdinand begun to laugh, spitting food all over the table.

“See, father, even the emperor knows I am a far better ruler than you.” Then he turned to Soult and reassured the marshal that, with him in power, the Portuguese problem would be dealt as fast as possible.

At the thought of the Prince thinking that the Emperor would put him in power, Soult lost it and laugh like a madman.

“May I know what is so funny, Marshal?”

When Soult was able to recover his composure, he answered the prince.

“The idea that the Emperor would remove King Charles only to put his fat, idiotic son on the throne of Spain is very amusing to me.”

“WHAT DID YOU SAY?” shouted the fat prince.

“Prince Ferdinand, the Bourbon rule over Spain is over. King Joseph of Naples is going to become the next ruler of Spain.”

As he saw the look of surprise on the two Bourbons’ faces, Soult, once again , begun to laugh like a madman.

Last edited:
Like the new update .Especially the last part with the king and prince of Spain .
I also think the foreign legion is an excellent idea as it would allow a nation with as small a population as Portugal to raise men from all over the empire (Brazil comes to mind as a source of men to fight in Portugals armies .)

Like the new update .Especially the last part with the king and prince of Spain .
I also think the foreign legion is an excellent idea as it would allow a nation with as small a population as Portugal to raise men from all over the empire (Brazil comes to mind as a source of men to fight in Portugals armies .)

The part of the Spanish Royalty was actually my favorite one to write on this update.

If you, or any other, wants to know more of the Foreign Legion, I made a post on my Test Thread for extra information about the [post=11922100]Legion[/post] and the TL in general.

When will that American update start to have an effect on the overall TL?

Very soon actually.

The next update will be mostly politics and will be in Portugal, France and the USA, so we will see how Jefferson handles the fact, that his Senior Officer of the Army is a Spanish agent.

That last update has put the cat among the pigeons.

Spain was an ally Napoleon needed. While they couldn't outperform his corps, they did provide enough bodies and territory to keep the Coalition occupied. Is this a little earlier than OTL? I'm not sure on the date, but a poorer performance for Spain, would definatley lead to Napoleon acting sooner. However placing Joseph on the throne was a very bad move in hindsight.

What will Joseph do in this TL? OTL, becoming King of Spain, caused revolts all over the place. Revolts that pretty much put the Spanish Empire in it's death throws. How much worse are they going to be? I think you might want to change some of Joseph's thinking. Make him more of a dictator. Dissolve the inquisition and replace it with one of his own secret police. Stay in Madrid, instead of retreating to the North of Spain.

If you really want to destroy the Spanish Empire, have Joseph tear the Empire apart in his attempts to keep it. Muwhahahaha!!!!

New World, Old Politics
Thanks to Unknown for the edited version.

*****​

New World, Old Politics

3rd of March, 1807

Talleyrand was outraged.

The idiot Corsican had ignored him and had sent one of his marshals to force the Spanish king to abdicate.

If he had found out about this earlier, he might have managed to avoid this latest show of stupidity. If he ever had any doubts about Napoleon's interest in the balance of power in Europe, he now had none.

The man he had helped put on the throne of France would fight the entire world for his own personal vanity.

And, now, this last battle.

The Emperor had declared it a great victory for France, but Talleyrand saw the issue differently.

For the French diplomat, almost twenty thousand Frenchmen killed or wounded for an empty snowy plain with the Russian and Prussian armies still intact was not a victory.

The Emperor had gone too far and someone had to tell him.

But he would hear none of this.

When he spoken his mind, Napoleon lost it. He accused him of cowardice, of conspiring with the enemies of France against him, and of more things than Talleyrand could remember.

While Talleyrand was, usually, able to hold his emotions, upon hearing those accusations, he lost it.

He told Napoleon everything that was on his mind.

Understandably, their meeting had ended with Talleyrand out of his ministry and with Napoleon threatening to have him shot.

And, now, Talleyrand was abandoning East Prussia for Paris.

But he wouldn't go without a plan.

Now, he knew that Napoleon would be domed. He would never accept peace, for war was the only thing that kept him in power.

Napoleon would fall, but Talleyrand would not.

"How does the accused plead?"

"Not guilty."

As everyone had their attention focused on the former vice-president, Jefferson was looking at General Wilkinson.

That week excuse for a man had come to him two days after Burr and had accused the latter of conspiring with the Spanish. Little did he know that Burr had already done the same.

And had it been for Clinton, Wilkinson would be the one on the stand today, but Jefferson had other plans. Better to fake a trial to allow Wilkinson to believe that he was off the hook and then capture him when he made a mistake. Clinton had argued against that plan but, in the end, the President's logic won out. If they put Wilkinson on trial, it would be Burr's word against Wilkinson and that would end in nothing.

So, now, they waited.

Burr had agreed to go through the fake trial and Jefferson had assigned some of his most trusted men the task of spying on Wilkinson, waiting for some evidence of his treasonous activities.

But the bastard knew how to cover his tracks and it would be still a long time before he could hang the traitor.

As he saw a smile on Wilkinson's face, Jefferson's doubts about his innocence vanished and he made a promise.

I will see you hang, traitor.

Lieutenant General Arthur Wellesley was impressed.

He had in front of him the First Division of the newly formed Portuguese Army of the North.

Some sixteen thousand infantry, supported by artillery and cavalry, formed in parade as their commander, General of Infantry Luís Castro, passed through the regiments, looking for some mistake on their part.

While Wellesley had no doubt that his men were as good, or better, then their Portuguese counterparts, he was still impressed by their discipline. Watching them march or drilling their musketry was like seeing a huge machine, where every men knew his place.

"What do you think of our men?" asked Field Marshal Lecor, the commander of the Second Division.

"They are very disciplined." conceded Wellesley, not willing to admit he was impressed.

"If you think this is discipline, you should see the Hunter's Brigade."

"What you mean by that?"

"The Line Regiments are trained in the Prussian fashion." he said, while leaning on his horse. "But the Hunter's is different. Their training is brutal, they are forced to march twenty-three miles on one day with full gear each month, they spend weeks on the forests training the men, and that is just some example. So that you understand, only thirty of every one hundred volunteers stay on the battalions, with the rest asking to be sent to the Line Battalions."

"Only thirty!" said the British general, surprised.

"For some reason, their motto is Tantum Fortis Reliquiae." stated Lecor with a laugh, before moving forward.

They passed through the remaining Brigades in silence and eventually caught up with General Castro.

"So, General Wellesley, do our men reach your standards?" asked Castro.

"As I said to General Lecor, your men are mostly disciplined."

"Indeed they are." agreed the General. "But tell me, have you heard the news from Madrid?"

"I heard some rumors, but nothing for certain."

"Well, then, consider those rumors true." the General then signaled one of his ADC's to bring him a dispatch. "Our spies in Madrid have sent word and confirmed that Joseph Bonaparte was declared King of Spain by Marshal Soult."

"So, are the Spanish armies on our side?"

"I don't know." admitted Castro. "Catalonia and Navarre apparently supported this new king, but we only know that Andalusia has already denounced Joseph and declared Ferdinand the true king, and no news has arrived from Castille, Leon, or Galicia."

"Maybe if you offered Ciudad Rodrigo to General Blake, he would support us."

As Wellesley ended his comment, all the Portuguese generals looked at him as if he had become crazy.

"General Wellesley, if your hovernment offered Gibraltar to Ferdinand, I have no doubt that all of Spain would support us." said Castro in a frozen tone.

Wellesley took the exit and didn't press the issue, instead praising the Portuguese soldiers, but the damage was done.

*****​

Tantum Fortis Reliquiae means Only the Strong Survive, I think.

Last edited:
What was the great offense implied in the exchange, in the last part? Ciudad Rodrigo is the city they are in the process of sieging, yes?

Can I just suggest that you proofread a bit more? The flow and style of writing are exceptional, but the occasional spelling/grammar mistakes are just frequent enough to be a bit immersion-breaking. But perhaps that's just my 'autism'.

Also, I can't help but read Talleyrand's lines in John Malkovich's voice (a la 2002 Napoleon miniseries).

Last edited:
What was the great offense implied in the exchange, in the last part? Ciudad Rodrigo is the city they are in the process of sieging, yes?

Can I just suggest that you proofread a bit more? The flow and style of writing are exceptional, but the occasional spelling/grammar mistakes are just frequent enough to be a bit immersion-breaking. But perhaps that's just my 'autism'.

Also, I can't help but read Talleyrand's lines in John Malkovich's voice (a la 2002 Napoleon miniseries).

The reason for the offense will be revealed in time, but until then all I will say is that Ciudad Rodrigo is strategically vital and that the siege costed many lives and for a patriot like Castro giving it away to Spain is unthinkable (because of military and personal reasons).

About the proofreading I can't promise anything and the best I am currently able to do is post the original and then Unknown edits it, but if someone is willingly to become my beta then I would appreciate it.

P.S. When I write the Talleyrand segments I always imagine him speaking with Malkovich's voice :D.

The reason for the offense will be revealed in time, but until then all I will say is that Ciudad Rodrigo is strategically vital and that the siege costed many lives and for a patriot like Castro giving it away to Spain is unthinkable (because of military and personal reasons).

About the proofreading I can't promise anything and the best I am currently able to do is post the original and then Unknown edits it, but if someone is willingly to become my beta then I would appreciate it.

Sounds good, well can't wait for more!

P.S. When I write the Talleyrand segments I always imagine him speaking with Malkovich's voice :D.

That's awesome, glad I'm not the only one!

Very nice update. The dominoes are starting to fall for Napoleon.

Question. How much do you guys think Portugal can gain from this conflict? The Spanish Empire is pretty much done for at this point and I don't think Portugal needs much more in the name of colonial territory (ala Brazil.). My biggest concern would be giving the Spanish something to fight for in another war.

If I was Portugal and I was decimating Spanish Armies and marching towards Madrid, I would start thinking about reclaiming Galicia, or even some territory to the south. The problem with that would be making Portugal the target of any Spanish war in the future....unless..

I just thought of a way Joseph could ruin the Spanish even more, within the realm of plausibility. After he flees Madrid, he declares his support for an independent Catalonia. (Catalonia would never accept him as King, but it would at least give him a base of support.) He might want to consider signing a peace treaty with the Coalition, under the condition they recognise the independence of Catalonia. The loss of Catalonia would be a major blow to Spain for decades to come, it would far overshadow the loss of Galicia.

As a portuguese, I can assure you that one of the things anyone in both countries knew up until the mid or late 19th century was that reason or not Spain was always looking out for a excuse to annex us since they couldn't stand the idea of sharing the peninsula with us, so the portuguese goverment never really cared about the size of it's demands whenever we won, trying to take as much as possible without pissing off whatever other powers were involved in the conflict.
In fact the reason why they never gave us olivença back was because after the war they stalled the transfer as much as possible leading to the goverment annexing Uruguay instead which lead to the spanish refusing to abide by the treaty of Vienna.

Thanks to Unknown for the edited version.

*****​

New World, Old Politics

But he wouldn't go without a plan. Napoleon would fall but Tallyrand would not

*****​
ah Tallyrand. Of whom Metternich remarked upon hearing of his death: " I wonder what he meant by that"​