The Prince of Peace

Haus Habsburg and The Empire
1490 to 1519; The Holy Roman Empire

The House of Trastamara in the heyday of Isabella and Ferdinand did not simply look to Portugal for allies and partners. With the unification of Spain, Iberia began to look beyond it’s borders, and the Catholic monarchs saw powerful allies in the Habsburg dynasty, who had secured the elective throne of the Holy Roman Empire in 1453 and had held it in perpetuity, and more recently, in 1477, had acquired the legacy of the House of Burgundy: The Lowlands and Franche-Comté. The strength of the Habsburg dynasty was shown in the joint marriages the Catholic monarchs perused: their third daughter, Joanna, was married to the Philip the Handsome, Duke of Burgundy and future Emperor, whilst Juan, the Prince of Asturias, married the Archduchess Margaret, Philip’s sister. The death of Juan and the passing of the Iberian inheritance to the Queen of Portugal largely dashed any hopes to see the Archduchess Margaret sit upon the throne as Spain as consort, for she returned to the Lowlands in 1500 as a widow, only to remarry shortly after Philibert II of Savoy, another marriage was doomed to be short and without children. Following this tragedy, she became known as the Lady of Mourning and set up her own small court at Graz[1] where she devoted herself to religious works.

Things in Brussels, however, were not much better. Philip the Handsome, Duke of Burgundy, had been given the hand of the equally beautiful Joanna, third daughter of Isabella and Ferdinand. Besides her beauty, however, was her noted jealousy. Although the Duchess of Burgundy bore her husband a variety of children: Eleanor (1498), Charles (1500), Isabella (1501), Ferdinand (1503), Mary (1505), and Catherine (1507), Philip tired of his wife’s antics. Whenever the Duke of Burgundy traveled away from his court without Joanna, the Duchess of Burgundy threw herself into tantrums, refusing to eat and weeping until her husband returned to her. By 1504 the couple lived apart, and following the birth of their final child in 1507, Joanna’s conditioned her deteriorated to such a degree that Philip had Joanna locked up at Ghent, much to the dismay of her father, and the Emperor Maximilian who feared that such an action would upset the Electors of the Empire and impede Philip’s election as King of the Romans and successor to Maximilian as Holy Roman Emperor. Despite this, the Duchess of Burgundy remained confined at the Gravensteen, and rumors flew of her abuse and neglect.

Still, the rumors were just that: rumors, and in 1512 the Electors of the Holy Roman Empire were gathered at Aachen where they duly elected Philip as King of the Romans, outlining the prestige of Maximilian I, who had in 1508 assumed the title of Elected Emperor, ending the centuries old custom that the Pope crowned the Emperor. Maximilian had also overseen the 1495 Reichsreform that had given the empire a new structure that had consolidated and distributed power between the empire and the states. Once elected to succeed his father, Philip began to take more interest in the affairs of the empire; although the inheritance of his mother, Mary the Rich, was formally part of the empire (except for Flanders and Artois, which were French fiefs, that Philip had paid homage for) Philip desired to bind the whole of the Lowlands closer to the empire, and his person, having great interest in the Reichsregiment and it’s constitution formed by the Reichsreform[2].

While his father had set the foundations of Reform in the Empire, it was Philip who sought to further it. He saw himself first and foremost as an heir of two great legacies: of the House of Burgundy, who had rose out of France to unite the Lowlands, and the House of Habsburg, who had risen to the Imperial mantle. Philip did not desire to abandon the Lowlands to absentee government upon his ascension to the Imperial throne, and prepared to make Brussels not only the capital for his lifetime, but for his dynasty; just as Vienna replaced Aargau, Philip planned for Brussels to replace Vienna. The future of the Habsburg dynasty was not only vested in Philip, but of his two sons: Charles and Ferdinand.

Ferdinand, born in 1503, was warded to his grandfather Maximilian, in Vienna, where the Emperor hoped the young boy would succeed him in the Austrian domains, given Philip’s love for the Lowlands. Young Ferdinand was groomed to accept his place as Archduke of Austria, ruling over the domains unified by his grandfather. Yet the Austrian domains were a pittance in comparison to the Lowlands and the Imperial mantle, and Maximilian sought from Ferdinand’s arrival in Vienna in 1507 a greater legacy for his favorite grandson. Maximilian was a diplomat at heart, and had reduced external pressures to the Holy Roman Empire by concluding treaties with France, Poland, Hungary, Bohemia, and Russia. The Jagiellon dynasty was the greatest threat to Habsburg power, and although they ruled over the Empire and the Lowlands, Maximilian desired what many previous Habsburg Archdukes had coveted: the crowns of Bohemia and Hungary. At Vienna in 1515, Maximilian met with Ladislaus II, the King of Hungary and Bohemia, and Sigismund of Poland. At Vienna, Maximilian pledged to end aid to the Grand Duke of Muscovy and arbitrate in disputes between Poland and Teutonic Order; aside from this, Maximilian saw Habsburg claims over Hungary and Bohemia substantially increased; Louis, heir to Hungary and Bohemia was betrothed to Maximilian’s granddaughter, Mary, whilst Ferdinand himself was betrothed to Ladislaus’ only daughter, Anna. Although Ladislaus died shortly after the Congress of Vienna, it’s provisions held, and Maximilian became the legal guardian of Louis and Anna, bringing them to Vienna to be raised alongside their future spouses.

The prestige of the Habsburgs and their political maneuverings, however, could not prepare them for October 31, 1517, when Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the door of Wittenberg Castle, sparking a religious upheaval that would radically alter the face of Christianity. Maximilian did not live long to see the results of the heretical monk from Saxony, dying in 1519. His son inherited the Imperial mantle, and although Philip possessed great ideas, many wondered how much he would accomplish in the face of potential troubles.

[1] As Philip the handsome survives ITTL, Margaret never becomes governor of the Habsburg Netherlands, there is no Renaissance court at Mechelen.

[2] An imperial government intended to replace the Reichstag, made up of 20 ecclesial and secular princes, and representatives of the Imperial Cities.

---

Since two out of four wanted to see the Empire, I did that update first. I will probably do England next, as Italy has already been slightly covered, and possibly France. We'll return to Iberia in due time.

Interesting alt-Tudor politics would be pretty cool. Perhaps *Henry FitzRoy lives a bit longer, has a grandson? Bastard with a grandson, some daughters from various failed marriages, and maybe a sick son, as per OTL?

I like the marriage alliance with Hungary and Bohemia. Maximilian's father the Emperor Frederick III tried unsuccessfully for decades to grab those thrones from his nephew. Charles V and Ferdinand might engage in similarly opportunistic politics again, trying to grab those thrones for a family member.

Interesting alt-Tudor politics would be pretty cool. Perhaps *Henry FitzRoy lives a bit longer, has a grandson? Bastard with a grandson, some daughters from various failed marriages, and maybe a sick son, as per OTL?

I like the marriage alliance with Hungary and Bohemia. Maximilian's father the Emperor Frederick III tried unsuccessfully for decades to grab those thrones from his nephew. Charles V and Ferdinand might engage in similarly opportunistic politics again, trying to grab those thrones for a family member.

About the marriages, I have a question: wouldn't Philip try to marry his eldest son Charles before arrange a union to Ferdinand? It would be nice if ITTL Charles is the one who marries a heiress of Hungary (after all, as he isn't the king of Spain, a marriage with Portugal wouldn't be so useful) while Ferdinand marries a daughter of Henry VIII of England. Maybe with some luck we could have a Habsburg claiming the English throne.

Maybe, but Charles is going to end up eventually ruling both the Netherlands and the Austrian domains, which are pretty cut away from each other. Ferdinand was warded to Maximilian, his grandfather, and it was he who arranged these marriages, not Philip. As Ferdinand doesn't have much going for him ITTL, his grandfather hoped that he might secure at least the Jagiellon Kingdoms in Central Europe for him.

Maybe, but Charles is going to end up eventually ruling both the Netherlands and the Austrian domains, which are pretty cut away from each other. Ferdinand was warded to Maximilian, his grandfather, and it was he who arranged these marriages, not Philip. As Ferdinand doesn't have much going for him ITTL, his grandfather hoped that he might secure at least the Jagiellon Kingdoms in Central Europe for him.

With Charles ruling both the Netherlands and Austria, I don't know that Philip would want Charles married into the Jagiellon Dynasty, which though powerful in its own territory is really peripheral to the anti-French alliance that the Hapsburg and Trastamara were committed to. The center of Hapsburg gravity shifted westward with Maximilian's marriage to Mary of Burgundy, and with Philip born and raised there the Imperial capital will probably move west with the Hapsburg senior line.

Furthermore so long as Hungary hasn't suffered a Mohacs-level defeat, I don't think its nobility or the Bohemian nobility will elect the senior Hapsburg line to their thrones. Putting themselves under a powerful foreign monarch wouldn't be the best way to maintain noble rights.

The Netherlands and Austria are positioned on either side of the HREGN. With a good marriage for Charles V, combined with an embrace of Luther's reform (and the attendant Imperial seizure of Church-owned land) the Hapsburg could start moving towards linking their territories.

If the things in England do not change too much then Mary is only born in 1516, and would be too young for Charles V. IOTL he didn't want to wait for long and so married the eldest daughter of the king of Portugal. ITTL he might marry one of the sisters of Miguel, or a French princess after some peace treaty with France.

Lately, it comes to mind if the hipotetical Spain of Miguel could have conquered northern Africa or even if they could the facto be interested in such difficult business

Lately, it comes to mind if the hipotetical Spain of Miguel could have conquered northern Africa or even if they could the facto be interested in such difficult business

Probably they would still have tried to conquer territories there. Portugal and Spain already had some important coastal cities, and Miguel and his successors would probably try to secure some more. How much more successful than IOTL they would be is a doubt.

BTW, no more updates?:(

Probably they would still have tried to conquer territories there. Portugal and Spain already had some important coastal cities, and Miguel and his successors would probably try to secure some more. How much more successful than IOTL they would be is a doubt.

BTW, no more updates?:(

Spain and Portugal had a vested interst to control the Maghreb -it not only was a pirate haven, than almost destroyed the soutehrn mediterranean spain, but also a center of Ottoman influence. Until the Habsburgs became obsessed with Protestantism and the countless rebellions and religious wars in central Europe, Northern Africa was one of the main centers of iberian interest.

There is no Spanish Hapsburgs in this timeline, so they probably have a lot more action one the straits.

Spain and Portugal had a vested interst to control the Maghreb -it not only was a pirate haven, than almost destroyed the soutehrn mediterranean spain, but also a center of Ottoman influence. Until the Habsburgs became obsessed with Protestantism and the countless rebellions and religious wars in central Europe, Northern Africa was one of the main centers of iberian interest.

There is no Spanish Hapsburgs in this timeline, so they probably have a lot more action one the straits.
yeah, that´s a good point, but the question is: How would Miguel divide its forces? because I also think that Miguel would be as Catholic as his predecessors and I don´t think that Spain would ignore european pagans

yeah, that´s a good point, but the question is: How would Miguel divide its forces? because I also think that Miguel would be as Catholic as his predecessors and I don´t think that Spain would ignore european pagans

Of course they woulnd't, but there is quite a difference between "ignoring" and "spending every last dime of your treasure and your whole army for the next two hundred years". They would act more or less like France -probably less, since France actually did have a frontier with those nasty european heretics. I doubt they would send more than a token force all the way to Germany, if they even did that. The inquisition was more than enough to control home-grown protestantism (if there is not forced conversions, the Inquisition will not obsess with the "secret jews", and they did not have juridiscion over actual jews or muslims, so they can center on heretics). Spain had more pressing worries fighting (catholic) France for the possesion of and the control of Northern Italy

Incidentally, that long fight was also exacerbated by the Habspburg posessions: The "Spanish Road", between Flanders and Milan, was another obsession of the empire. Now I see then more likely to concentrate in Napoles, Sicily and Sardinia as a springborad for Africa

I'm glad there's still some interest in this! Those are some good points to consider. If I'm correct, the Portuguese already possessed Ceuta on the Moroccan coast. I wouldn't rule out the Iberians from trying to control other coastal cities; IOTL, Spain conquered Algiers and even Tunis for a short time (didn't Charles try to give Tunis to the Knights?). They might have a vested influence in holding these ports to curb the influence of the Barbary pirates, and the Turks.

This isn't dead, btw. I just haven't really worked on it since my last update. I'm not sure what people want to see next, or if we should return to Iberia to continue things.

This isn't dead, btw. I just haven't really worked on it since my last update. I'm not sure what people want to see next, or if we should return to Iberia to continue things.

Write anything you want, just give us an update!:p

Although I think it would be nice to read now something about what is happening in Italy or England.

Yeah, we need more. And until it reaches, I will give my ideas. This is about the entire world. I´m thinking of Brazil. There is no reason for the Portuguese to colonize Brazil if the gold and silver of the spanish territories are achievable by Seville. I´m thinking that the Spain of Miguel wouldn´t be interested in Brazil but in the islands of spices. What I´m trying to say is that the entire colonization would be different. Brazil could become a Louisiana and any power could seize control of the land (France is my best option).

About the HRE, Spain still needs to control France and that only leads to
supporting England and Austria and even seeking a personal union with them (Felipe II was close to the english throne). Besides, the most powerful ruler of the time, Christian leader, what the hell, why could not present his candidature to the empire?​

Besides, the most powerful ruler of the time, Christian leader, what the hell, why could not present his candidature to the empire?
Forget that, the trully emperor Philip is not dead so...
But I still think that Spain need to seize France so we still need a union with Austria with all the problems that this carries so yeah would have more resources to africa but...enough to conquer all Africa?. If Spain can not be strong enough before the Turks, by mid or late XVI, all lands east of Morroco would be as difficult to conquer as in IOTL. That would be as hell to spanish troops as it was in IOTL

Yeah, we need more. And until it reaches, I will give my ideas. This is about the entire world. I´m thinking of Brazil. There is no reason for the Portuguese to colonize Brazil if the gold and silver of the spanish territories are achievable by Seville. I´m thinking that the Spain of Miguel wouldn´t be interested in Brazil but in the islands of spices. What I´m trying to say is that the entire colonization would be different. Brazil could become a Louisiana and any power could seize control of the land (France is my best option).

About the HRE, Spain still needs to control France and that only leads to

supporting England and Austria and even seeking a personal union with them (Felipe II was close to the english throne). Besides, the most powerful ruler of the time, Christian leader, what the hell, why could not present his candidature to the empire?​

Sure, as long the Portuguese also have access to the gold and silver from Peru and Mexico their interest in Brazil might be reduced. In the other hand, with the Castilian support they might have more power to fight eventual French (or English) settlers in their lands.

Sure, as long the Portuguese also have access to the gold and silver from Peru and Mexico their interest in Brazil might be reduced. In the other hand, with the Castilian support they might have more power to fight eventual French (or English) settlers in their lands.

Spain and Portugal did defend zeaolusly their monopoly in the americas (Teatry of Tordesillas anyone?), and the rest of Europe had to wait until Spain became too embroiled in the HRE conflicts to grab some lands -and Portugal, then on a Personal union with Spain, did suffer a lot of encroaching on his posessions due to this inatention (this was probably one of the prominents causes of the eventual rebellion and independence)

This is a new Spain (since it is too soon after Castille/Aragon adopted the term, Portugal has not had the change to inernalize its anger to beign "excluded" from the name, so they would be happy to be a part of "Spain"). It lacks the long term interests in Germany and the Netherlands. More importanyl, the dinasty is Portuguese.
The center of power will eventually return to Castille -Castille, now and for the next few centuries, is the most powerful kingdom; the combination on huge farming fields, long and wide rivers, and the wood industry will make Castille preeminent until the Industrial Age comes forth. But a Portuguese dinasty will care abut trade and the navy far more than the Hapsburgs ever did. Even if the court eventually moves to Madrid. Though Seville, wich, since it was on a navigable river, was one of Castille's main ports, is far more likely; Madrid was a minor town (wich did not even have a Cathedral) than was chosen because it is on the geographical center of Spain.
They will seek to control the barbary coast pirates, and establish the trade routes to the Indies -once they realize than America is not the indies, they will keep triing. The question is, will they put as much effort on the circunvalation of Africa if they can get to China though the Pacific?

The center of power will eventually return to Castille -Castille, now and for the next few centuries, is the most powerful kingdom; the combination on huge farming fields, long and wide rivers, and the wood industry will make Castille preeminent until the Industrial Age comes forth. But a Portuguese dinasty will care abut trade and the navy far more than the Hapsburgs ever did. Even if the court eventually moves to Madrid. Though Seville, wich, since it was on a navigable river, was one of Castille's main ports, is far more likely; Madrid was a minor town (wich did not even have a Cathedral) than was chosen because it is on the geographical center of Spain.

It reminds me a question: if the Aviz dinasty eventually decides to move the capital to a central city, now that Portugal is included, which place would be more central than Madrid? Toledo perhaps? I like the idea of Seville as the new Spanish capital though.

Thanks for all these comments, they're a great help. I'm gonna be covering England next, then probably return to Iberia. All these discussions are interesting to read, so keep them up. Especially regarding Castile and how powerful it would make the whole union until the Industrial revolution.

I agree that the Portuguese may not have an interest in Brazil and would probably focus on the gold rich provinces that made up Spain originally. A French Brazil, or something else, would be quite interesting. Thanks for bringing that up!

Seville will also be important. Already it seems likely that alongside the Casa de Contratación and the Council of the Indies, the Portuguese Casa da Índia would be moved to Seville, so all the riches of the the Aviz monarchy, from the Americas to the Orient, would gather at Seville. Within a few decades we will see the the Aviz dynasty begin to move towards Castile; maintaining Lisbon as capital would be nice, but it's not good for governing the rest of Spain. So Toledo would probably be likely, Madrid staying small in this timeline.