The People's Temple: A History of the Turbulent '90s

upload_2018-5-19_9-36-56.png

"The 1990s is among one of the most chaotic periods of time in American history. There is no one way to cover this, so I do hope that this take will be as informative as possible, with takes from various figures involved in the major decisions, events, and catastrophies throughout this dark period of history."
-From the introduction to "The People's Temple: A History of the Turbulent '90s" by Harvard Professor Allen McAffey (published 2029)

jim_jones_008.jpg

Pictured: Rev. Jim Jones campaigns with George Moscone (1975)
Rose: So, I would like to ask you what many of our viewers want to know: How did you and Jim Jones get to be acquainted? How did your partnership between yourself and Jones begin?

Moscone: Well, back when I started my campaign for San Francisco Mayor, Jim came up to me one day and asked me "Do you want any help with your campaign?", and I thought, well, I need help if I want to take back the mayor's office, and Jim was pretty clever when it came to gaining a following, so I let him help out.

Rose: What do you have to say about the allegations that Jones and the People's Temple worked to rig the votes in your favor?

Moscone: Look, at this time, the People's Temple wasn't the horrific...thing...that it became. It was a great church, with an enthusiastic congregation made up of both whites and blacks, integrated even before the rest of the country followed suit! Jones was a progressive leader in racial relations at this period of time, and he lit up every room he walked in! We all loved him, and the People's Temple at this time was an amazing center of racial harmony thanks to Jim Jones.

Rose: But you didn't answer my question. The allegations about vote rigging in your favor, what-

Moscone: There was no vote rigging! My God! How was I supposed to know what I got into when I tapped Jones to serve in the mayor's office? How was anyone supposed to know?

-Interview between Charlie Rose and former Secretary of State George Moscone, PBS Hourly, 2/15/2001

HolyHostPic1.jpg

"REV. JIM JONES APPOINTED CHAIR OF HOUSING COMMISSION"

-San Francisco Chronicle, 1/15/1976

"I am honored that Mayor Moscone has offered me this position, where I can help the poor and the destitute of the city of San Francisco."

-Rev. Jim Jones, first meeting as Chair of the SFHC, 1/18/76

"The appointment of Jim Jones as chair of the Housing Commission was a major victory for the Reverend. He was able to commit to action what he preached from his altar at the People's Temple, using the Commission as his ticket to further media coverage by the press. He would later use this position, as well as extensive use of the People's Temple, in his own future political endeavors."

-From The People's Temple: A History of the Turbulent '90s, by Prof. Allen McAffrey

c6595bab30f9ec558ea9c8504d82bd8e.jpg

Pictured: Democratic Vice Presidential candidate Walter Mondale with Housing Commission Chair Jim Jones, July 1976

"I first met Jim Jones sometime in July during the 1976 campaign. He, along with George Moscone, then the mayor of San Francisco, appeared at the airport to personally speak to me about the campaign. Jones talked to me about working for the campaign, and wanted to play a bigger role for us in the state. He seemed affable, and we got along well. We also discussed issues about racial inequality in terms of housing discrimination and the Civil Rights Movement. It was the last time I would see him, at least until Rosalynn got him a job in the administration."
-from Looking Back, by former Vice President and Ambassador to France Walter Mondale, published 2005