The Pale Horse: The Northwest Montana Insurgency and its Aftermath (1987-2002)

Great posts as always.

While not the most important thing, I really think using Traficant as a sort of Brezhnev/late-party Syndie official fits really nicely with the aesthetic of a Syndicalist USA that is far from perfect. A good choice that isn't an OTL left-wing radical (though he's not exactly mainstream) without seeming lazy or out of place.

Indiana Beach Crow

Monthly Donor
(The importance of music, particularly Pacifican glam metal, to the insurgents often comes as something of a surprise to students of the period, given public perceptions of dour neo-Puritans hostile to anything more secular than a hymn: a hilarious anonymous essay published in SF Weekly in 2012 about the writer’s visit to the Northwest Republic in 1995, wherein he is able to talk his way through a roadblock by convincing the local militia leader that he is friends with the frontman of Ratt, provides a good entry point for this phenomenon).
[Sitting here patiently waiting for Kurt Cobain, Pearl Jam, and Sleater-Kinney to burst onto an obviously stagnant music scene like the fucking Kool-Aid man and blow everyone away]

Prior to the Dutch mining conglomerate Billiton Maatschappij’s 2009 acquisition of a controlling interest in the silver/copper producing Troy Mine in Lincoln County,

D2bymjaWsAAWsUT.png

it is unlikely, for instance, that Ozark-Oklahoma Governor William Blythe would have cut a glittering political career (and his status as a possible contender in the 2000 Presidential elections) short, ostensibly to focus on his family,
933599.jpg

I'm actually kind of curious about the RNL.

First, what is the polygamist Mormon scene like ITTL? OTL it has two major branches: the Apostolic United Brethren (who, aside from the whole polygamy thing, are somewhat sane), and the Fundamentalist Church of Latter-Day Saints (who are an authoritarian, child-abusing cult). These are joined by a gallimaufry of more minor organizations and leaders, of whom the most insane was Ervil LeBaron, a man who answers the age-old question "what would happen if an actual, honest to goodness serial killer led a cult".

Second, what relationship do the RNL's leadership have to their "prophet"? Do they talk to him on a regular basis? Does he have much influence on the group's overall direction and strategy? Is he still in Pacifica or has he decamped to RNL territory? (Considering that polygamy is probably still illegal in Pacifica, that some of the OTL Mormon polygamist leaders got up to a lot of illegal activities, and that the overall Mormon polygamist scene, at least IOTL, is highly suspicious of secular authority, this is very much a possibility.) If so, are there tensions between him and the RNL military leaders who actually guided it through the war?

Last edited:

HJR

Banned
Skipping ahead a little bit, where will be TTL's equivalent of Tora Bora? The biggest cave system in West Montana are the Lewis and Clark Caverns, but they're ~130 miles from the Idaho/Pacifican border, so I can't see them functioning as the escape route over the border that Tora Bora did IOTL. Then again, I don't think the author's said anything about the timeline after !9/11, so the invasion of Northwest Montana may be completely different than the invasion of Afghanistan.