If Wars Were Won By Feasting[1]
Soundtrack: Childgrove - Mr. Lane's Minuet - Up with Aily - Cheshier Rounds - Hunt the Squirrel

*interior* *Eltham Palace* *there’s a party going on* *music* *feasting* *dancing* *led by Edward IV and the pregnant Elizabeth Wydeville[2]*
Antony Wydeville: *smiles at his sister as she passes* *turns back to his wife* you don’t wish to dance?
Elizabeth, Baroness Scales: I don’t see much to dance about. Or sing about, Antony.
Antony: *soberly* I’m afraid you’re right. Warwick in France, meeting with Queen Margaret is concerning.
Elizabeth: and the king makes as though there is nothing to be concerned about
Antony: would you prefer that the king go to war with France? To try and ensure Warwick’s return, my love[3]?
Elizabeth: *looks at Jacquetta of Luxembourg likewise dancing with Antoine, Grand Bastard of Burgundy* it startles me that after what he did to your father that you are not trying to convince the king of this
Antony: *smiles* I have no doubt that his Elizabeth is trying to do that very thing.
Elizabeth: you sound as though you disapprove?
Antony: and had this happened a month ago, two, perhaps, the king might be in a different mind. But Henry VI has a son. God willing, Monsieur Charles and Madame Marguerite[4] will have a son. Louis’ wife has just had a son. The king does not. So…for now…Edward needs to trust that the arrangement he made with Queen Margaret as much as Monsieur Charles needs to trust in the arrangement he and King Louis reached at Péronne.
Elizabeth: the king does not have a son yet.
Antony: God willing, my sister will soon supply him with one.
Elizabeth: and King Louis’ dauphin may follow his brothers shortly to the grave.
Antony: *nods* he may *tune/dance changes*
Elizabeth: *looks at Antoine* seems a bit ominous to me. A king sending an ambassador to announce his wife is pregnant. Why not await the birth?
Antony: it’s a convenient cover to discuss our alliance with Burgundy. *looks at the duke of Gloucester dancing with his niece, Anne, Lady Grey[5]* after all, whether Madame Marguerite has a son or a daughter…her step-daughter would make an ideal match for Milord Gloucester, don’t you agree?
Elizabeth: but that’s absurd, he’s-
Antony: a far better match than the exiled prince of Wales that King Louis is suggesting and who I’m told the Dowager Duchess[6] is in favour of. And if Madame Marguerite has a son, her step-daughter could come live in England. Far less worrying her marrying an ally than the idea of her marrying the duke of Berry, and ending up in Paris, wouldn’t you say?
Elizabeth: alliances change. Look at the king and Milord Warwick. Or Milord Somerset who the king approved to marry Milord Shrewsbury’s daughter[7]-
Antony: as I understand it, that was with Milord Warwick’s approval. Attempting to draw the Beauforts into the Neville orbit[8]-
Elizabeth: shame them, you mean.
Antony: *sharkish smile* it is only fitting that the Milord Somerset take responsibility for his disgraceful behaviour towards Lady Eleanor[9]. Leaving her in the family way and all…
Elizabeth: mark my words, Antony, nothing good will come of this.

*fade to black*

[1] From a song from the OTL Restoration court, The Dutch in the Medway: if wars were won by feasting / or victory by song / if safety found in sleeping sound / how England would be strong.
The line “our king and court, for their disport, do sell the very Thames” is oddly applicable to Edward IV who only left something like £400 in the treasury when he died
[2] Thanks to hearing Kylie Minogue’s Locomotion on my morning commute, all I could imagine was them “doing the locomotion” :p
Also, Elizabeth would only give birth in November, which means she was unlikely to already be in confinement in June 1470 unless there had been problems with the pregnancy
[3] While no contemporary accounts survive of Antony/Elizabeth’s marriage, things must’ve been – at least – civil to cordial given the fact that she left her title (Baron Scales) to him in her will rather than to a distant cousin (think it was third five times removed or fifth three times removed or something). She would’ve had no reason to do this unless they either did have a “decent” marriage or she really loathed the cousin
[4] The duke and duchess of Burgundy. Hence why Antoine the Bastard is in London: to announce the pregnancy
[5] Elizabeth Wydeville’s son isn’t marquess of Dorset yet, and his grandmother is still alive, so he’s not “Lord Ferrers” either. The “niece” is Anne Holland
[6] Isabel of Portugal, Dowager Duchess of Burgundy
[7] Eleanor Talbot (she’s survived here- making things "interesting")
[8] Not that odd a “idea”. Warwick’s sister, Margaret, was wife to the Lancastrian loyalist, the 13th earl of Oxford – who was pardoned in 1469 – and Oxford’s brother was married to Margaret Talbot (Eleanor’s sister).
[9] Eleanor was apparently engaged to Edmund, 4e Duke of Somerset, but according to various accounts, the later events of the 1460s and death intervened. Also, the Talbot girls were running in the same circles as Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Wiltshire and Richmond, the duke of Buckingham and the rest of the Beauforts at the time, so a marriage between them doesn't seem ASB IMO

Oooooh here we go
Honestly I feel Elizabeth Scales is really an underrated figure. For instance, she's second cousin to the Mowbrays, Howards and de Veres, the widow of a Bourchier etc etc. Seriously considering giving her and Antony a "miracle baby"
One of my favorite authors
Thanks for the compliment
*and* one of my favorite time periods?
Hope you enjoy my take of things going differently

My birthday isn't even for 3 more months lol
Hopefully by then we've reached the date of Barnet at least (don't really have a schedule)
So excited!!!
Happy to hear it. Hope I don't disappoint

Honestly I feel Elizabeth Scales is really an underrated figure. For instance, she's second cousin to the Mowbrays, Howards and de Veres, the widow of a Bourchier etc etc. Seriously considering giving her and Antony a "miracle baby"
Oh, please do! That kid would certainly be a sight to behold - nephew / niece to the Queen of England, related to every damn body possible via their mother and father, certainly given quite the education by their scholar crusader father *and* most likely the favorite cousin of the future King?

Oh, please do! That kid would certainly be a sight to behold - nephew / niece to the Queen of England, related to every damn body possible via their mother and father, certainly given quite the education by their scholar crusader father *and* most likely the favorite cousin of the future King?
Just warning we might get a proper palace (not a mock revivalist hunting lodge) at Sandringham if that happens. Since Antony owned the manor there OTL. Although ICR if it was a gift from Edward IV or inherited from his first wife.
I like where this is going! Can’t wait to see how things play out.
Glad to hear that. Will admit that I'm kinda torn between Edward of Westminster marrying Marie of Burgundy and him getting Anne Neville.

Why gross? Edward would get a rich, well-connected wife and a kingdom of his own. Its certainly no more gross than Antony Wydeville's mention of Marie marrying her uncle, Dickon*.

*Canon law doesn't differentiate between relatives by blood/marriage. And Margaret of York's pregnancy is proof she and Charles consummated (ergo ratified) the marriage

Why gross? Edward would get a rich, well-connected wife and a kingdom of his own. Its certainly no more gross than Antony Wydeville's mention of Marie marrying her uncle, Dickon*.

*Canon law doesn't differentiate between relatives by blood/marriage. And Margaret of York's pregnancy is proof she and Charles consummated (ergo ratified) the marriage
Because Marie marrying Ed means breaking one of the greatest love stories ever and saddling Max with a Jagiellon. But hey, you'd make it interesting (and I've no authority to judge, since I broke Marie/Max myself in favor of Emma)

Glad to hear that. Will admit that I'm kinda torn between Edward of Westminster marrying Marie of Burgundy and him getting Anne Neville.
That marriage would be really interesting, especially if Marie ends up inheriting Burgundy and Edward suddenly has a base to work from in retaking England.

Very interesting. I look forward to see where this goes and I like Edward of Westminster marrying Mary of Burgundy.

Love the updates so far. From what I gather, this is essentially a reboot of an older TL of yours, right @Kellan Sullivan ? I only read Frankie from you, but that one I really like, so I'm looking forward to reading more of this as well!

Because Marie marrying Ed means breaking one of the greatest love stories ever and saddling Max with a Jagiellon. But hey, you'd make it interesting (and I've no authority to judge, since I broke Marie/Max myself in favor of Emma)
well, TBF, I have considered the fun idea of Isabel la Catolica as a candidate for Edward of Westminster- sort of as a "payback" for Edward IV rejecting her for Elizabeth Wydeville - as well :p

So far SO good
thank you

That marriage would be really interesting, especially if Marie ends up inheriting Burgundy and Edward suddenly has a base to work from in retaking England.
Very interesting. I look forward to see where this goes and I like Edward of Westminster marrying Mary of Burgundy.

I can imagine Marie's Lancastrian grandmother, Isabel of Portugal (who was once shortlisted for Henry V) being "all ears" to that match.

Love the updates so far. From what I gather, this is essentially a reboot of an older TL of yours, right @Kellan Sullivan ?
yes, my former "Red Princess" TL.
I only read Frankie from you, but that one I really like, so I'm looking forward to reading more of this as well!
appreciate it. Hope it lives up to your expectations

PS: does anyone know of anything I could look at for July 1470? The only event of note that I can find is that the Turks took the Negroponte, which seems a little "irrelevant" to the events here since nobody mentioned so far (AFAIK) has family involved in the conflict and it seems a bit early to "look" outside Western Europe if its somehow not directly related to the persons/events we've already seen

PS: does anyone know of anything I could look at for July 1470? The only event of note that I can find is that the Turks took the Negroponte, which seems a little "irrelevant" to the events here since nobody mentioned so far (AFAIK) has family involved in the conflict and it seems a bit early to "look" outside Western Europe if its somehow not directly related to the persons/events we've already seen
I couldn't find anything noteworthy.

Yes, yes, yes! I want to keep the Woodville line alive for as long as possible, please!

Yes, do it, please!!! I think who that of Elizabeth Scales and Anthony Woodville was likely a love match or at least something close to it… sure the match would have sense also as an arranged one but is likely who they chose each other freely

well, TBF, I have considered the fun idea of Isabel la Catolica as a candidate for Edward of Westminster- sort of as a "payback" for Edward IV rejecting her for Elizabeth Wydeville - as well :p
She had NO intention at all to marry Edward IV. Isabella had only one spouse in mind aka her OTL husband (and the only alternative who she could be pressed to accept is the future John II of Portugal as nobody else would fit her requisites).

I think who if she had an half-brother the wedding between Mary of Burgundy and Maximilian would become likelier to happen early as Mary’s hand to Frederick‘s heir plus a very big dowry would be needed for Charles the Bold to get a royal title

Last edited: