The One Fixed Point in a Changing Age: Alternate Sherlock Holmes filmographies!

Driftless

Donor
I like your additions, although personally I never much cared for that film.
It's a mixed bag certainly. Like many spoofs, there's gags that work and gags that don't, plus caricatures of fan favorites don't always work either(James Coco as Perrier didn't work for me). My wife and I saw it in the theater when it first came out. She was a mystery fan, but not a particular fan of satire or spoofery (no SNL for her) and she really enjoyed the movie. I'm a mystery fan and a lover of all forms of comedy, but I came away with a hearty "meh". Still a good Sunday matinee during a cold Wisconsin winter.

Last edited:
I don’t know about the rest of you, especially since I haven’t read through this thread, but I think Bill Nighy would be a superb Holmes.

Driftless

Donor
I don’t know about the rest of you, especially since I haven’t read through this thread, but I think Bill Nighy would be a superb Holmes.
I could see Nighy playing Holmes with more waspish subtlety than Jeremy Brett or Basil Rathbone. Maybe a bit of sarcastic humor too. Who would make a good Watson for him?

Another modern combo I could see: Gary Oldman as Holmes and Nighy as Watson.

I could see Nighy playing Holmes with more waspish subtlety than Jeremy Brett or Basil Rathbone. Maybe a bit of sarcastic humor too. Who would make a good Watson for him?

Another modern combo I could see: Gary Oldman as Holmes and Nighy as Watson.
I think the best candidate for Watson would be Ralph Fiennes. The comedy lover in me would prefer Simon Pegg. I already know he pairs up well with Nighy.

It's a mixed bag certainly. Like many spoofs, there's gags that work and gags that don't, plus caricatures of fan favorites don't always work either(James Coco as Perrier didn't work for me). My wife and I saw it in the theater when it first came out. She was a mystery fan, but not a particular fan of satire or spoofery (no SNL for her) and she really enjoyed the movie. I'm a mystery fan and a lover of all forms of comedy, but I came away with a hearty "meh". Still a good Sunday matinee during a cold Wisconsin winter.
Every time I've tried to watch it since, I stopped early on because I couldn't stomach the yellowface. Never much cared for Sellars in general either.

Solar Pons
(I had introduced this concept in my other thread, but figured it would make sense to include it here as well.)

Screen Shot 2023-10-16 at 2.02.17 pm.png

Solar Pons (2023-present)
(1 series, 6 episodes)
A BBC Radio 4 series
Dramatised by Bert Coules, from the stories of August Derleth
Starring Adam Godley as Solar Pons and Toby Longworth as Dr. Lyndon Parker

A new series from Radio 4, adapting the cult-classic adventures of "The Sherlock Holmes of Praed Street".

The Great Detective in The Lost World
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World
"The Titans of Crime", Season 4, Episode 8
Broadcast
September 2003
Written by Judith Reeves-Stevens and Garfield Reeves-Stevens
Guest starring Charles "Bud" Tingwell as Professor Moriarty and Ron Haddrick as Sherlock Holmes

Two gentlemen turn up on opposite ends of the plateau. One, a retired consulting detective, the other a sinister professor of mathematics.

Solar Pons
The Adventures of Solar Pons (1953-present)
(1 season, 39 episodes)
Starring Ronald Howard as Solar Pons and Howard Marion Crawford as Dr. Lyndon Parker
Based on characters created by August Derleth

4051238051612.jpg

A syndicated, US-French produced series adapting the Pontine canon.

Vice versa. I think of Wen as being a more self assured, no-nonsense Watson à la the Edward Hardwicke, Jude Law and Lucy Liu iterations. And Reddick's tall, thin frame, commanding presence and piercing gaze would have made for a very powerful Holmes.

Ms. Holmes
Ms. Holmes (2019-2020)
(2 Series, 12 episodes)
An ITV series
Based on the HBO Asia series Miss Sherlock, and on characters created by Arthur Conan Doyle

Adapted from the Japanese series Miss Sherlock, and produced as ITV's answer to the BBC's Sherlock.

CAST:
  • Sherlock Holmes (Crystal Yu)
  • Dr. June Watson (Pearl Mackie)
  • DCI Gerald Lestrade (Dominic Rowan)
  • Mycroft Holmes (Benedict Wong)
  • Mrs. Hudson (Julia McKenzie)
  • Joyce Moriarty (Amanda Redman)

I need a choice for Holmes for a couple of movies being made in the late 80’s , early 90’s .
The budget on the films are very low so no big name actors please .
They take place during Holmes Great Hiatus so-the actor needs to be middle age ( late 30’s ,early 40’s )
And a British actor please
Thank you

Driftless

Donor
I need a choice for Holmes for a couple of movies being made in the late 80’s , early 90’s .
The budget on the films are very low so no big name actors please .
They take place during Holmes Great Hiatus so-the actor needs to be middle age ( late 30’s ,early 40’s )
And a British actor please
Thank you
How about Terrence Hardimann, Martin Shaw, or Simon Callow? Hardimann might be a hair too old for your window, and Shaw or Callow a hair too young?

Last edited: