The New Order: Last Days of Europe - An Axis Victory Cold War Mod for HoIIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made the mistake of doing a Huttig run with the assumption that there was some cool post collapse content. Instead the game ended and I ended up depressed

Ah, thank you for playing them, and a shame you didn't like them as much. Had I to start over I might try to put more an emphasis on the Bastillard's strange absurdist neo-Confucian creed, trying to encourage the population into right-think.
That probably would have been good.
As to their military, the intention was for their ideas to mirror the modernists, but more from a defensive point of view (they see war as a clash of systems like the modernist do, but they want to outlast the enemy instead of risking to destroy it).
I did get that sense from them, but the problem is that being highly defensive is both boring and actually not particularly necessary or good in TNO.
I think the idea of developing logistics in the east as a super project is perhaps more boring than a Russian silicon taiga, but much more sensible for rebuilding Russia.
I don't know about that; from a mechanical perspective, building infrastructure is dead easy, and from a broader perspective leaping ahead into what the player knows is going to be a major industry of the future is more attractive for the long-term prosperity of the country than just focusing on old heavy industry and natural resource exports (the resource boost you get from the Bastillard economy is also kind of bad, because Russia already has a ton of resources and needs industry more...)

I haven't played the Decembrists yet, so I can't comment on their super project, but so far the Silicon Taiga and TomSiBar projects seem like the best overall--it's actually quite difficult for me to choose between them, although I might give the nod to the Taiga just because it reaches beyond to create something new and innovative.

(But I am a physicist, so perhaps being more inclined to Sakharov's point of view isn't surprising!)
I much enjoy the event chain writer aztechnology wrote about the kid who grows up in Tomsk and is slowly disenchanted with the system in time. In a way it mirrors a bit Dr.Zhivago's plot about a man growing disillusioned with the revolution but still trying to do good (Ironic as dr zhivago was written by Tomsk's very own Pasternak)
I was in fact specifically thinking about that chain as one of the good new flavor events. I was curious to see whether it might be a bit different if I was playing as one of the other salons, especially the Humanists.

Feel like some of these has been implemented in the superevent audio; Zhdanov's at least do have a rocket launch
And of course, with Yeltin's super event, as expected, you had the sound of someone opening a bottle of vodka to pour himself a glass... :biggrin:
Actually, to my surprise, a few:

Zhukov: March and cheering crowds are there, but my idea was so vague and generalized that I'm barely able to claim similarities for this one.
Nikita I: Sounds of battle (naval artillary?), but also a super generalized claim for me.
Bunyachenko: Driving tanks; enough said, I was right.
LibVlad: Dancing is specific to LibDem Vyatka.
"Vagner": Knew someone would make a Riefenstahl reference and I even guessed which one.
As @Marisa Kiridifferent mentioned, Zhdanov: Yep, I called the rocket launch. Nice, it really does work well narratively for him.
Yeltsin: As @chankljp said, called the drink but it was low hanging fruit for a reference.
Rodsayevsky: Burning stuff, breaking glass, so mostly right.

I really like the new update and I'm looking forward to continuing my ideas for the cinematic super events once I have a bit more time. Meanwhile let me just note a few points about the reworked Russian super events:
Zhukov: Like it better now; the sound effects fit well.
Tchachevsky: Like the event a bit less now. They changed the segment of "Invincible and Legendary" they use and I like the beginning better than the ending of the song for the scene, but overall not much worse.
Zykov: It's fine, but I liked it subdued. Fireworks are a bit ostentatious for such a morally grey victory, but again not outright bad.
Bunyachenko: Better, and not just cause my idea turned out to fit. Tank treads emphasize his militarist outlook to solving Russia's challenges.
"Vagner": Very gloom and doom, and that works well. The fire/burning sounds might fit "Velimir" better in my opinion, but this one's roughly as good as it was before sound effects. No harm done.
Stalina: Much, much better. Probably my second favorite change to the Russian super events. I didn't dislike Kalinka, but this is just great. So grandiose, so epic. The symbolism is fantastic too, simultaneously idealizing Stalina through the Mussorgsky musical reference as a Bogatyr straight out of Russian folk myth ("They are characterized as having resounding voices, with patriotic and religious pursuits, defending Rus' from foreign enemies"). Narratively awesome.
Yakolev and Katushev: Still the same song for what should be different and distinct regimes, and still too generic for me.
Khrushchev: Good, giving him a song that's separate from Kaganovich, because Khrushchev's not an Old Bolshevik.
Tomsk Humanists: Nice, making it a Shostakovich song. I liked the use of the Worker's Marseilles before, but a song identifying the Humanists' victory with the 1905 revolution instead isn't a bad alternative.
SBA-Despotist: Why the switch to a different song in the middle? I'm not clear on this one.
SBA-Soviet: The rhythmic clapping works well with the song.
Bessanov: Good to distinguish him from Yagoda. His song is the Internationale in Russian, reflecting his Bukharinist Russia-centric USSR/Return to normalcy outlook.
Yagoda: Same song, better picture.
Sablin-Sablintsy: Probably my favorite addition this time around. I'm not even one of those guys on the subreddit who fanboys LibSoc Sablin, but I had such a hard time trying to find a song that fit him and the one they picked is perfect. It's got vaguely disco vibes, it's youthful and jubilant, and most importantly it fits Sablin's metanarrative. He and his movement isn't just Leninist, it's Lenin reborn in the idealized format through which the Soviets glorified him and embodied in successive generations of revolutionaries. It also contrasts well with...
Sablin-Bukharinist: Sablin isn't just Leninist, he's Lenin. He's getting on a train to Russia as it faces civil unrest and a German invasion, ready to spread his Vanguardist/NEP message to reshape it, no matter his authoritarianism and the costs of his vision. Really good use of the Partisan's Song.

Last edited:
The main ones I have questions about are the crazier ones in Komi, who are likely to waste resources doing crazy stuff (obviously Tabby is the extreme example, but even, say, Zhdanov does stupid "superscience" crap instead of just building tank and jet fighter factories), the Aryan Brotherhood, and the Father--the last one is probably pretty good for the free parts of Russia, but I doubt he's going to build up the kind of elite force needed to really demolish the Nazis. Somewhat likewise with Sablin and the Black Army. Some of the other ones have legitimacy issues, in that their only real claim to power is military conquest (as opposed to, say, Komi or Tomsk, who base their legitimacy on elections, or the Soviet remnants, who base theirs on being a continuation, not necessarily direct, of the Soviet Union) while they aren't necessarily brutal enough that it feels that they would just crush dissent--Keremovo and Mikhail's Chita feel like this.
I'm curious what you mean here. The Black Army's very nature lends itself to an elite armed force. Of course, I might be biased by the fact that in my SBA games, I've been able to build up such a force, including one time managing to completely convert my infantry to mechanized formations.

I did get that sense from them, but the problem is that being highly defensive is both boring and actually not particularly necessary or good in TNO.
To be honest I started from first principles when thinking of what each faction would do for economy, politics, and military doctrine. The Bastillard's obsession with defense came from their obsession with safeguarding the Republic. From there my failing was failing to collaborate more tightly with the programmers of Tomsk to make each area of each salon engaging. (Russia team was also limited in time and resource by late development/the run up to release) I do think that from a meta point of view an overly defensive view of warfare is the totally wrong approach when fighting Germany, but I did not try to inject my personal opinions when writing the characters!
I don't know about that; from a mechanical perspective, building infrastructure is dead easy, and from a broader perspective leaping ahead into what the player knows is going to be a major industry of the future is more attractive for the long-term prosperity of the country than just focusing on old heavy industry and natural resource exports (the resource boost you get from the Bastillard economy is also kind of bad, because Russia already has a ton of resources and needs industry more...)
I guess this is again a personal failing of not giving fun mechanical reward on my end, but also perhaps a failing of hoi4/tno not modelling real economics. Magadan is a terrible port and infrastructure to reach it would be a complex tasks, this is what inspired me to suggest the Bastillard trying to develop their foreign relationships and infrastructure.
I haven't played the Decembrists yet, so I can't comment on their super project, but so far the Silicon Taiga and TomSiBar projects seem like the best overall--it's actually quite difficult for me to choose between them, although I might give the nod to the Taiga just because it reaches beyond to create something new and innovative.
The decembrist super project is perhaps the dullest, but also perhaps the smartest; it's fixing the salon system so that it's much more democratic and Tomsk's cynicism crisis ends. Hopefully if some day Russia team implements the fail state we did not have time to put in for Cynical Tomsk, the project would resonate even more. Until then, I think having a united Russia and ending separatist sentiments while dousing the embers of the far-left/far-right is a good move, as it doomed the original CSR!

I'm curious what you mean here. The Black Army's very nature lends itself to an elite armed force. Of course, I might be biased by the fact that in my SBA games, I've been able to build up such a force, including one time managing to completely convert my infantry to mechanized formations.
I mean, as a player it's easy to fully mechanize your army no matter who you're playing as--I routinely get a fully mechanized force going by the super-regional war starting, and by the final unification war I'm usually ready to roll out 40-width mechanized infantry/armor units*--but from a "realistic" perspective I find it somewhat questionable that they or any of the quasi-anarchist states could build up the powerful integrated forces needed to destroy the German military quickly and easily.

(I probably should have been a little more specific, but I was specifically thinking of the Lib Soc version of the Black Army, not the Despotist version)

* Which remain absurdly powerful...as the Bastillards, I absolutely destroyed Tyumen's army using these, inflicting something like 2 million casualties for 25-50k of my own...

The decembrist super project is perhaps the dullest, but also perhaps the smartest; it's fixing the salon system so that it's much more democratic and Tomsk's cynicism crisis ends. Hopefully if some day Russia team implements the fail state we did not have time to put in for Cynical Tomsk, the project would resonate even more. Until then, I think having a united Russia and ending separatist sentiments while dousing the embers of the far-left/far-right is a good move, as it doomed the original CSR!
That's what I've heard, but as I said I haven't played them yet. I would comment that this suffers from some of the same problems of the National Bastion, in that it's a project that is easy to replicate "manually" by doing your salon's cynicism crisis thing and then pressing the relevant decisions every now and again with the abundant PP you probably have.

That's what I've heard, but as I said I haven't played them yet. I would comment that this suffers from some of the same problems of the National Bastion, in that it's a project that is easy to replicate "manually" by doing your salon's cynicism crisis thing and then pressing the relevant decisions every now and again with the abundant PP you probably have.
And again, it is a personal failing on my end as designer rather than one on the ends of the coders who helped make my ideas come to life =)
I'm no longer on the team, but were I to work on this again I'd make the cynicism crisis impossible to solve permanently without the Decembrist superproject (even then I'd make the decembrist project only a partial fix)

I don't have enough karma to post this on the reddit (I just made an account), so here you guys can have my crappy TNO meme.

tnomeme.png

Finished up a very successful Cincinnatus WerBell run. He's definitely no Big Boss or Venom Snake, and certainly doesn't have the charm and is a massive hedonist, but he's the closest we're going to get. He's utterly, utterly, amoral, but he does end up developing a fondness for the Russian people and really wants to see his crazy project through. He's also pretty much the most openly American leader in the game...or at least, all his focuses and talk gives you that impression.

The game constantly lampshades the sheer insanity that is West Alaska, then the United States of Russia; the fact that it ends up actually functioning is a miracle. For a long time it's clear that the locals very understandably see it as nothing more than a massive US imperialist operation and CIA construct; the game then encourages you to ditch this if you can, although you can still be pro-OFN.

By the way, he gets roughly zero approval rating from literally all the other Siberian leaders for who he is. Men refuses to bless him, and Sablin is confused when made to dine with him. WerBell admires Sablin for his youthful drive, sheer charisma and spirit. 'The Kid' (Sablin's 23) doesn't return the favor.

Oh, and aside from all the Metal Gear references they snuck in, guess who shows up as the regular CIA representative?

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 3.35.35 PM.png

THE NUMBEEEERRRRRRRSSSSSSS

Last edited:
Ah, that Mason event I've always loved. In general I much enjoy a lot of Magadan's writing. Team member lowkey (among many others) gave it much love.

Jesus Christ that West Alaska emblem is the type of shit I see in the patches threads of /k/; I love it.

TNO continues to exceed my expectations. It can be grimderp to outright horrifying, cringe to wholesome, and sometimes it just blindsides me with the absurdity turning into pure win.

AeroTheZealousOne

Monthly Donor
Heh, alright! I used to post regularly on the Official Pictures of Gorgeous Woman thread, which was fine with everything as long as it wasn't nudity.

I'm surprised no one mentioned how this could also be a reference to History of The World, Part I, directed by the one and only Mel Brooks.

I'd ask how Brooks is doing ITTL given... you know, everything and the Nazis, and what his filmography would look like ITTL (Would we still get The Producers?) but that's me digressing massively.

I'd tell everyone about my Ireland run but it crashed on May 6, 1963 probably due to submod issues. I've since unloaded said submods and I'll get back to you on that. After my Ireland run I'll attempt Takagi's Japan and hopefully stop the whole Dai Li conspiracy, followed by my second Iberia campaign with all the new updates and flavor in it, then probably another good old USA run-through to see the new content and maybe one of the 100-day trees for the 1972 candidates.

I also ought to get to Italy and Novosibirsk at some point, but once I have the time I will.

I mean, as a player it's easy to fully mechanize your army no matter who you're playing as--I routinely get a fully mechanized force going by the super-regional war starting, and by the final unification war I'm usually ready to roll out 40-width mechanized infantry/armor units*--but from a "realistic" perspective I find it somewhat questionable that they or any of the quasi-anarchist states could build up the powerful integrated forces needed to destroy the German military quickly and easily.

(I probably should have been a little more specific, but I was specifically thinking of the Lib Soc version of the Black Army, not the Despotist version)
I got that part. However, what distinguishes the Free Territory from Orenberg is that the Free Territory does have a centralized army. I would like to get some more details about how it functions post-coup.

Status
Not open for further replies.