The Most "Tragic" Roman/Byzantine Emperors

Which emperors that you think have the most "tragic" fate?

• Tiberius

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Caligula

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • Nero

• Commodus

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Valerian

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Diocletian

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Julian the Apostate

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Valens

• Julius Nepos

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • Romulus Augustulus

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Justinian I

• Maurice

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • Romanos IV Diogenes

• Alexios I Komnenos

• Andronikos I Komnenos

• Isaac II Angelos

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Alexios IV Angelos

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Michael VIII Palaiologos

• Constantine XI Palaiologos

Votes: 35 43.2%
  • Others (explain)

Votes: 12 14.8%

• Total voters

Rex Romanum

Banned
1.Tiberius
One of Rome's greatest generals, conquering Pannonia, Dalmatia, Raetia, and temporarily Germania. But he came to be remembered as a dark, reclusive, and somber ruler who never really desired to be emperor.
2.Caligula
Initially was loved by many for being the beloved son of the popular Germanicus, the later sources described him as cruel and insane.
3.Nero
While some source potray him as an emperor who was popular with the common Roman people, especially in the East, he is best remembered as a tyrant and an early persecutor of Christians.
4.Commodus
Blamed as an emperor whose reign was the beginning of decline of the Roman Empire, he is well-known as an arrogant and cruel megalomaniac.
5.Valerian
Being the first and the last Roman emperor who captured by the Persians, Valerian was subjected to the greatest insults by his captors.
6.Diocletian
The true savior of the Roman Empire, Diocletian only remembered as a great persecutor of Christians, while much of the credit was go to Constantine I instead.
7.Julian the Apostate
The last non-Christian ruler of the Roman Empire, he hopelessly trying to bring back to its ancient values.
8.Valens
Defeated and killed in famous Battle of Adrianople by the Goths, which marked the beginning of the fall of the Western Roman Empire, Valens' body was never found or given a proper burial.
9.Julius Nepos
The last de facto Western Roman emperor, yet he is less-known than the usurper Romulus Augustulus.
10.Romulus Augustulus
Little more than a child, he acted only as a figurehead for his father, Orestes. Yet his deposition traditionally marks the fall of ancient Rome and the beginning of the Middle Ages.
11.Justinian I
Sought to revive the empire's greatness and reconquer the lost western half of the classical Roman Empire, which ironically contributed to the empire's decline.
12.Maurice
A prominent general and successful emperor, he was deposed by Phocas, which sparking a devastating war with Persia that would leave both empires helpless in the wake of Muslim invasions.
13.Romanos IV Diogenes
Best remembered by his defeat at Manzikert, his last time in the Anatolian heartland, that he worked so hard to defend, was a public humiliation on a donkey with blinded eyes.
14.Alexios I Komnenos
Best-known for his appealing for help to Pope Urban II against the Seljuks, he unintentionally creating a further conflicts beween Muslims and Christians.
15.Andronikos I Komnenos
Courageous and great general as well as an able politicians, Andronikos was turned into a tyrant in his short reign, and the Byzantine Empire descended into a terror state. In the end his body was torn apart by Constantinople's citizens, literally.
16.Isaac II Angelos
Blinded and imprisoned after his first reign, he was raised to the throne again but unable to meet his obligations to the Crusaders. In the ensuing riots, Isaac himself died by shock.
17.Alexios IV Angelos
Being raised to the throne with the help of the Crusaders, he was unable to give the prize he promised to them. At 1204, the populace of Constantinople imprisoned him and then strangled him to death.
18.Michael VIII Palaiologos
Successfully retaking Constantinople from Latin Empire, he trying to refound the strength of Byzantine Empire. But his effort was more or less, however, as numerous Turkish beyliks had been systematically expanding into Asia Minor.
19.Constantine XI
Famously discarded his purple cloak and led his remaining soldiers in a last charge, when the Ottomans successfully breached the city's walls, he was the last reigning Byzantine emperor as well as a national hero in Greece today.

So...let's vote!
(please apologize my long post... ;))

My choice would be an emperor not listed: none other than Heraclius, whose omission is I hope a simple mistake.

The deeds of his reign are so great a tragedy as to be worthy of epic fiction.

He, by the sheer force of his personal magnetism (and the army of the African Exarchate), rescues the Empire, deposes a tyrant, and campaigns for years behind enemy lines.

He basically repeats the deeds of Hannibal, restores the True Cross to Jerusalem, and brings peace back to his country..

And yet he is the unfortunate soul that has to face down the arms of the Faithful as they make their presence felt upon the world.

His life's work is undone, he pitifully exists for an agonizing few years in the twilight of his life, damned by his people and the clergy, certain of the agony of eternal torment awaiting him in the afterlife for the sin of marrying and creating progeny with his cousin.

Such an epic story.

Manuel K. Mostly because he tried so hard but in the end I think he knew that things were going to get worse after he died.

Rex Romanum

Banned
No Claudius?
:eek:

You couldn't get much more tragic could you?

Well, at least Claudius is remembered in history as the conqueror of Britain...and more importantly, as the second best emperor (after Augustus, of course) in Julio-Claudian dynasty...

I would say Julian. Firstly there's his childhood with his parents being killed, and him being always imprisoned or exiled when growing up. Then there's the whole thing of doing his utmost best to strengthen the empire and restore paganism, and actually having a measure of success against all odds before his untimely death (which resulted in an incredibly unfavorable treaty with Persia).

Also Pertinax was pretty tragic, though not in the poll.

I would go with Emperor Otho. Treacherous getting into power but one of the only truly honorable emperors of the First Century in power. Rivaled only by Titus in that sense.

I hesitated between Michael VIII and Constantine XI but finally went for Michael because it's kind of sad to see he was able to take back Constantinople from the Crusaders only for his Empire to continue its spiral downwards until destruction.

Pertinax.

The man was emperor for less than three months, and was assasinated before any of his far-sighted reforms could take effect. Machiavelli used him as a foil for Septimus Severus, Pertinax being too morally upright to succeed!

Poor Julian the Apostate. Such a tragic life. His father and almost his entire family is killed when he is very young, to go along with a dead mother. Constantius II keeps him locked away studying books and being alone. He was bitter, made fun of (beard-hater), was seen as quite the eccentric and he didn't even oppress Christians and became universally reviled, and ended up dead in the East and he wasn't yet 30. Yeah, I'd sad he was pretty tragic.

Heraclius , hands down . Come on - that guy won an epic war against the Sassanid Persians, raging from Constantinople to the Tigris , from the Caucasus to Cyrene , only to see all his accomplishments negated by the Rise of Islam a mere decade later. I have a suspicion that we can chuck all the others vote down to Heraclius , at this rate , actually.

archaeogeek

Banned
Heraclius , hands down . Come on - that guy won an epic war against the Sassanid Persians, raging from Constantinople to the Tigris , from the Caucasus to Cyrene , only to see all his accomplishments negated by the Rise of Islam a mere decade later. I have a suspicion that we can chuck all the others vote down to Heraclius , at this rate , actually.

For which he was partially responsible because his policies caused the Jewish and egyptian revolts :p

When I think of it, Claudius was quite tragic as well.
He was quite a good emperor, but always made fun of, and nobody really liked him due to physical features, and he was also murdered, with his entire family.

Ehh, the murder is dubious. Tacitus is our source, and in Tacitus, everyone is poisoned, usually in the most novel way Tacitus can think up. The only evidence we have that Claudius was murdered is that he died at a time very convenient for Agripinna and her cronies, and frankly, convenient natural deaths happen all the time.

As for the kids--Britannicus may have poisoned, or may have died natually because he was a sickly gran mal epileptic, Octavia was executed because Nero had a score of political and personal reasons to divorce her and once that happened, she was essentially an invite to anyone who wanted to start a civil war.

Rex Romanum

Banned
He was quite a good emperor, but always made fun of, and nobody really liked him due to physical features, and he was also murdered, with his entire family.

I personally think that Tiberius was the most tragic Julio-Claudian emperors... (and I'm kinda surprised that only 4 people vote him)
His forced marriage with Julia by Augustus really destroying his will and ability as an emperor... He even reportedly once ran into Vipsania, his former wife, and begging and crying for her forgiveness... Imagine a world where Augustus never force Tiberius to divorced Vipsania...Tiberius might be remembered as one of greatest Roman emperors, and he might expanding the frontiers as well... (he was a very capable general)
Now that was a tragic life...

Onyx

Banned

Well, for starters, he was literally hiding behind a curtain when the Praetorian Guard assassinated Caligula, then, took the frightened man out and proclaimed him emperor

that must've been a little awkward and a little scary, having your guards murder your cousin, only to be claimed emperor by them

Rex Romanum

Banned
Well, for starters, he was literally hiding behind a curtain when the Praetorian Guard assassinated Caligula, then, took the frightened man out and proclaimed him emperor

that must've been a little awkward and a little scary, having your guards murder your cousin, only to be claimed emperor by them

Actually Caligula was Claudius' nephew...