"The Middle Ground" in Norse America

TFSmith121

Banned
Godƿin Godƿinson?

Godƿin Godƿinson Goe Vast ter Vinland, yah?

A thousand years later, lutefisk is served with poutine at Tostig Hortonsons' locations from Vinlandburgh to Vest Neu Marklandton...

Best,

Faeelin

Banned
Crusading spirit goes west?

Second sons and the losers in conflict in Europe looking for a refuge?

First thing that came to mind were Anglo-Saxons pulling out of England because of Norman pressure in 1100 CE or so...

Best,

But why Vinland? There are plenty of places that are better to rule; even Prussia!

I would like to know more.

A good book is "Vikings in America" by Graeme Davis. He has basically summarized all the "known" facts and prevalent theories about Norse exploration/colonization in N. America into one book. Well worth finding in a library and/or buying.

A blog I remember off the top of my head is "Axes of iron". He writes historical fiction about the Norse in N. America, but also posts news articles/research papers as they come available. A good blog to follow for anyone interesting in this topic...

*will return with links*

Faeelin

Banned
The Vikings in America from 2011? I'm a bit concerned.

When Columbus claimed to have discovered America in 1492, and the Borgia Pope claimed it as a New World for Catholic Spain, the Vatican started a 500 hundred year conspiracy to conceal the true story of Viking America. In this groundbreaking new work by the author of The Early English Settlement of Orkney and Shetland, the true extent of the Viking discovery and colonisation of the eastern seaboard of America is fully examined, taking into account the new archaeological, linguistic and DNA evidence which supplements the historic account.

Vikings in America" by Graeme Davis

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7125270-vikings-in-america

He talks about many points in the book, some he agrees with and some he does not. What he does do is examine them and does provide references to said points. I had the same apprehension when first buying the book at a garage sale, but it was well worth the read imho. One thing I did really like about the book is that he suggests future avenues of research, etc, that have not currently been explored (usually based on acrch. evidence, or clues from the sagas, etc)

Edit: don't worry, this isnt a conspiracy-like book on how there were giant, massive settlements down the coast, etc... but it does talk about the link between greenland and the vatican, which there was, albeit a weak one... (if you start researching into the subject, etc). Anyways, cheers.
~

Last edited: