The Map Thread for Turtledove's Great War/Southern Victory series

Two real reasons why not. One, the CSA didn't have any control over anything in Arizona/New Mexico (which aren't even divided), so it's hard for them to claim the land. Second, Britain was hoping to chop down the US without making it overly hostile. Since D.C. was still American, and Lee's invasion of Maryland didn't get the support of the Marylanders that the CSA had been hoping for, it wouldn't have really been in the cards to isolate the US capital by seizing all the unwilling land around it.

Yes but with such a victory, the Marylanders would be more eager. Yoru right;the C.S didn't get their support-in OTL. Not just because the Southern troops didn't have shoes, or nthe music wasn't nice enough, but also because the CS failed in its objectives and was forced back.

Yes but with such a victory, the Marylanders would be more eager. Yoru right;the C.S didn't get their support-in OTL. Not just because the Southern troops didn't have shoes, or nthe music wasn't nice enough, but also because the CS failed in its objectives and was forced back.

Well, the sight of no shoes stopped volunteers long before any CS reversals. And since Britain had an interest in keeping the US pacified as well as weak, pushing the issues (when Lincoln already was already submitting to the initial demands) wouldn't have been in character of any diplomatic corps. When you publicly set hard terms and the loser publicly agrees to them, you generally can't set more.

Besides, if you remember the CSA did feel that it got cheated out of D.C. and Maryland as late as the Great War. In D.C., CSA troops in the coffee house went on about how D.C. was "theirs forever". Had the Entente won the war, D.C. and Maryland would have been key parts annexed.

the world in 1961 what i think.

1953.png

A minor quibble that Turtledove missed in the series.

In OTL Portugal was approaching bankruptcy and Germany and the UK, possibly other powers as well, had openly discussed a partition of Portugal's colonial empire. It seems plausible that Germany would at some point have carried through in this TL, especially as Portugal likely honored the old alliance with the UK as it did in OTL.

Spain, in contrast, undoubtedly made a fortune as a neutral in both world wars and further would be well placed as a potentially useful ally to be cultivated by the Germans. Therefore certain enhancements of Spanish colonial territories might have followed.

What's the red part of Russia?:confused:

Also Japan as presented is undoubtedly an economic basket case requiring shattering commitments just to hold their group vis a vis China AND Russia, not even considering how Australia, New Zealand, India and the US feel about Japan.

Actually Spain was a member of the Allies in the Second Great War.
Not any more. With the bipolar world being run by the USA and Germany, being friends with them would be a very good idea. If not, there are still Spanish colonies in Africa as well as Puerto Rico that can be knocked off. The Germans could certainly use a base opposite Gibraltar to eavesdrop on it.

Actually Spain was a member of the Allies in the Second Great War.

How do you figure? I saw no reference to Spain anywhere in the series except for the war with Japan in the 1900s, that it helped out with humanitarian issues for both sides in the Great War, and that it had a civil war in the 1930s.

So... that people can edit it, I would assume...

looks nice though :)

I presume that this is the results of the CSA winning its third war against the USA? One factor behind that would be an early nipping in the bud of the Red Revolt by Colonel (later General) Potter.

I presume that this is the results of the CSA winning its third war against the USA? One factor behind that would be an early nipping in the bud of the Red Revolt by Colonel (later General) Potter.
*forehead slap* heh, I haven't read the books for a while... I was reading the various 'annexed/under plebiscite' areas as being annexed to the US, not the CS.

[B said:
frankolio[/b]]
Now make a map when the CSA wins WWII:D

ZaphodBeeblebrox said:
Great ...

Rump USA, That might Not Even Still Control Canada, at The Best ...

Confederate Dominion Over MOST of The Continent, at The Worst!

:eek:
To add my penny worth and to tell you the truth:

1) Canada is returned to Great Britain. Naturally this includes the so called Republic of Quebec.

2) Illinois, Indiania and Ohio are annexed in an overt move to cut the Northern Aggressor permanently into two.

3) Sequoya, West Virginia, Maryland, Missouri and Washington DC taken back into the fold of their brothers. The CSA now has two capitals: the ceremonial one of Washington and the administrative one of Richmond.

4) New Mexico, southern Nevada and southern California are annexed in order to provide a buffer for the CSA railroad. The current President of the CSA is too modest to have the latter two named after himself so the new state is called Davis after the first President of the CSA.