The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by xxmagex, Jan 15, 2015.

1. rvbomally Austere Religious Scholar

A cave in the middle of Pennsylvania is also a very bad place for Soviet armies to deploy. :p

weaverj, xsampa, Athelstane and 2 others like this.
  2. Pelranius Well-Known Member

And apparently you can't bring metal objects with you through the portal, IIRC.

The Spetznaz may be skilled fighters, but they're not going to be very effective if all they can bring with them are ceramic knives and air guns firing plastic bullets.

3. Polish Eagle AntiFa Supersoldier

Seems to me that Julianna will meet ATL (OTL?) Obergruppenfuhrer Smith, and he’ll have a part to play in the climax.

4. rvbomally Austere Religious Scholar

I theorized a while back that the Allied Smith is either still part of the US Army, or moved to a Cold War intelligence agency like the CIA. It would make sense given his backstory, and would be rather ironic.

5. rob2001 Well-Known Member

I just hope they do a good job on the last episode, I hate it when a tv series ends on a cliff hanger.

weaverj likes this.
  6. Midnight-Blue766 The filidh that cam frae Skye

A thought: if postwar American music consists almost entirely of big band that "respectable" society endorsed without rock or any other countercultural genres, what kind of music dominates German civil society? :evilsmile:

(Yes, this was recorded about a decade after the series takes place, but you get the idea)

MrHaakwood and weaverj like this.
  7. nik2016 Well-Known Member

It's been announced that season 4 will premiere on November 15th. The moment Juliana get shot she falls down to an Alt-1963 (OTL) where an OTL John and Thomas Smith find her in the road injured.

8. rvbomally Austere Religious Scholar

Either this is separate from the world where she marries Tagomi’s son, or that guy is really unlucky.

9. President Earl Warren Well-Known Member

Probably can’t do the marriage to Tagomis son world, considering OTL!Juiliana would of had to die to make that happen. Would be interesting to see if this world is a slightly different 1963 and how that is shown

10. nik2016 Well-Known Member

I like the song good choice

TMS2224 likes this.
  11. Skallagrim Not the one from YouTube. Different other fellow.

This is going to be great. I can hardly wait.

stirlingdraka, TMS2224 and nik2016 like this.
  12. nik2016 Well-Known Member

Me too

Skallagrim and TMS2224 like this.
  13. nik2016 Well-Known Member

Another example

Midnight-Blue766 likes this.
  14. nik2016 Well-Known Member

t's been announced that season 4 will premiere on November 15th. See the new trailer a smell rebellion

CJD, asupackman, freivolk and 3 others like this.
  15. CJD Well-Known Member

Finally got around to watching the whole show far and I’ve really enjoyed it so far. I particularly liked the bit with the interdimensional travel facility that looks like an evil Stargate program.

As a side note it’s kinda funny how Soviet-ish the Nazi forces are using BRDMs and T-55s
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Historyman 14 and weaverj like this.
  16. nik2016 Well-Known Member

It's because it was more easier for the producers to find it. Normally E-50 tank and SdKfz 223

MrHaakwood, CJD and Polish Eagle like this.
  17. Arcvalons L'Internationale sera le genre humain.

I predict Smith will essentially secede America from the Reich, which will collapse semi-peacefully. I think Japan will essentially reform.

Tarabas likes this.
  18. Allochronian Well-Known Member

So I was finally able to see the entire series for the first time.

My goodness, it's one of the best filmed series that I have seen so far.

Now, THAT'S how you do an alternate history adaptation!

I heard that some changes were made. I don't know for sure what was changed, since I haven't read the book.

I look forward to watching season 4. :)

19. Born in the USSA Well-Known Member

Mainly the book took place entirely in the Pacific States, with no German or East Coast characters. Also, the Grasshopper Lies Heavy is just a DBWI novel, the "alternate universe souvenirs" take owes more to Matt Ruff's The Mirage (in my opinion), which was originally conceived as a TV pitch before being worked into a novel.

20. Allochronian Well-Known Member

Ah, I see.

I do know that while the Grasshopper Lies Heavy is a book in TMITHC, it is a film in the T.V. series (Is it accurate to call it a TV series?)

What is DBWI?