The Legacy of Saint Brendan: A History of the Western Hemisphere, 512 to 1400

I'm guessing that if arvid has multiple heirs at least one will go west and try conquering the native tribes and maybe some will even end up in the carribean or mesoamerica but definitely the confederation might face an invasion from a Norse second son with no inheritance

I'm guessing that if arvid has multiple heirs at least one will go west and try conquering the native tribes and maybe some will even end up in the carribean or mesoamerica but definitely the confederation might face an invasion from a Norse second son with no inheritance
Maybe I think that they would head back to the old world because how would they establish a kingdom there it such radically different styles of government they wouldn’t be able to do that at least until they reach mesamerica which they won’t meanwhile who would except a invasion from the new world and this would catch everyone off guard and Thai would Renew interest in insula and would allow much more growth and especially people from the Norse creating a stronger base of support spedfiaccly adventures

The Ostmen/Norse are going to fight bitterly around the issue if Christianization. I can't see heathenry being clearly defeated till about 1050. This factionalism would clearly have effects upon the Fanaithe-Brithon struggle in the mainland. Interesting times ahead for a while... The Scandinavian kingdoms won't take an interest in Setraland till at least 1080; the equivalent of the Angevin Empire, possibly at Papal urging, till some fifty years later. European-style feudalism could be taken to Talbeah from the later XIIth century onwards, surely in a very unique way. If France rises to influence and power, it will be THE crown with influence in the XIII-XIVth centuries. An equivalent of the Hundred Years' War would heavily involve the other side of the Atlantic, like a French and Indian War several centuries before, and (almost) without guns.

The Ostmen/Norse are going to fight bitterly around the issue if Christianization. I can't see heathenry being clearly defeated till about 1050. This factionalism would clearly have effects upon the Fanaithe-Brithon struggle in the mainland. Interesting times ahead for a while... The Scandinavian kingdoms won't take an interest in Setraland till at least 1080; the equivalent of the Angevin Empire, possibly at Papal urging, till some fifty years later. European-style feudalism could be taken to Talbeah from the later XIIth century onwards, surely in a very unique way. If France rises to influence and power, it will be THE crown with influence in the XIII-XIVth centuries. An equivalent of the Hundred Years' War would heavily involve the other side of the Atlantic, like a French and Indian War several centuries before, and (almost) without guns.
I could see that it could be a place where unwanted people are exiled

I find it likely as well that it would become a place to exile dissenters. however one thing that has not been mentioned yet is the Rus and Russia....... i.e two things and one question,

Q first is Greenland settled at all with either the OTL level of inhabitation or some level not spoken of yet in this timeline? Are the Inuit ancestors still migrating south or has the earlier introduction of European diseases butterflied this?

Thing one If the Christianized Vikings take over the mainland (no doubt forcing Brits and Irish settlers in land and down navigable rivers forcing more disease inland?) will they be settling further inland than the earlier settlers? or just utilizing fishing resources (great banks) and Walrus ivory, in OTL, the reason the Greenlanders either died or fled was not just down to the climate shift, the bishops who controlled Greenland controlled the ivory trade with Europe. They quashed attempts by the Greenlanders to ape or merge with incoming Inuit so as to maintain their workforce and power over it. I read in one book that it was one of the things that initially drove Portuguese trading ships to go west down the coast of Africa was the search for cheaper ivory. I can easily imagine some crazy Viking raiding party escaping the oppression of the Christians going inland via portages to the great lakes and then causing mischief or making themselves some nice Norse kingdoms ala Normandy, Sicily, bits of Greece and so on.

Thing two is (the author) looking forward to writing as I am about reading what is going to happen to Mesoamerica or Mississippi (in general) when Erik the Red esque fellow turns up with thirty longships filled with warriors ready to get dark age on their asses!

What is Hrein the Conqueror's land of origin? I'd love to see an aside chapter about the fate of the Ostish brother-kingdoms at some point, especially if Iceland and its continental dependencies come into some level of prominence :D

British Isles, 1000 A.D.
britain1000.png

The British Isles, c. 1000 A.D.

The death of Hrein the Great saw the division of his Anglish realms between his two sons, Aki and Thorlak. A third son, Eyvar, was appointed the Overlord of Ireland, tasked with ensuring continued tribute from the petty Kings there.

This event also triggered other political changes around the Isles. The Skots of the Northwestern Isles and the Cornish in the Southwest both breathed sighs of relief, as their realms were no longer targets for expansion by Hrein. The Welsh petty Kings, believing the truce between them and Hrein not applicable to his seed, resumed raiding the Anglish lands near their borders, becoming a thorn in Aki's side. The Picts, united out of fear of Hrein, began to turn into internal squabbling, preventing High King Unust from taking advantage of the change in the political situation.

Copyright: 2014, White Rose Educational Tools, Lunden, Angland

So if Mercia dead’s? And if they are thei will change everything about England the language and everything
Of a truth, Anglish would reard unsame from our English. I could fand and seek to write this more how it would reard, but I fear it would be thorough bewildering to the onlookers.

Western Christendom, 1000 A.D.
WesternChristendom1000.png

The western reaches of Europe in 1000 A.D. was still recovering from the last great Rhomanian attempt to reclaim its Italian possessions. The victor of that war, Aurelien (Emperor of the Romans, Over-King of the Franks, King of Italy), was focused on solidifying his hold on his vast realms, doing his best to prevent his Frankish brother-kings from restarting territorial feuds with each other. This marked the year that he signed the Concordant of Pisa with the Italian nobility and the Pope, granting special privileges to the Italians, some of whom still wished the descendants of Theodoric to be restored (even though Aurelien was a descendant of Theodoric).

Aurelien shared the Italian peninsula with the other Emperor of the Romans, Volusian II. Even though his uncle had failed to restore Rhomanian control of Italy (and fallen to asassins daggers when the war began to turn south), Volusian still retained crucial outposts on the Peninusla, as well as ruling over Sicily, Sardinia, Malta, and the Balearic Islands. Volusian had no interest in restarting a war with the West, instead turning his attention to matters closer to home. This allowed the Rhomanian rulers of these farflung outposts to, in a large part, pursue their own agendas, playing an important role in Western Mediterranean trade.

The Hispanians, having long abandoned their attempts to compete with their larger Frankish neighbors, focused instead on developing their internal economy, as well as engaging in intrigue and diplomacy in Christian North Africa. King Eberardo, seeking to strengthen his realm, prepared to launch Hispania into what would prove to be a fifty-year struggle for domination with the Amazigh, Moorish, and Vandals for control of the region.

What butterflies effects have caused all these changes to the timeline?
Changes in trade routes, different people moving in different places, spread of word encouraging different thinking, different sperm winning the race, the Ismailis, a Byzantine Emperor’s nephew sitting on a couch instead of standing. We’ve drifted over 500 years from OTL history. Enough time for the small change to ripple out big, in my writing.

View attachment 412835

The western reaches of Europe in 1000 A.D. was still recovering from the last great Rhomanian attempt to reclaim its Italian possessions. The victor of that war, Aurelien (Emperor of the Romans, Over-King of the Franks, King of Italy), was focused on solidifying his hold on his vast realms, doing his best to prevent his Frankish brother-kings from restarting territorial feuds with each other. This marked the year that he signed the Concordant of Pisa with the Italian nobility and the Pope, granting special privileges to the Italians, some of whom still wished the descendants of Theodoric to be restored (even though Aurelien was a descendant of Theodoric).

Aurelien shared the Italian peninsula with the other Emperor of the Romans, Volusian II. Even though his uncle had failed to restore Rhomanian control of Italy (and fallen to asassins daggers when the war began to turn south), Volusian still retained crucial outposts on the Peninusla, as well as ruling over Sicily, Sardinia, Malta, and the Balearic Islands. Volusian had no interest in restarting a war with the West, instead turning his attention to matters closer to home. This allowed the Rhomanian rulers of these farflung outposts to, in a large part, pursue their own agendas, playing an important role in Western Mediterranean trade.

The Hispanians, having long abandoned their attempts to compete with their larger Frankish neighbors, focused instead on developing their internal economy, as well as engaging in intrigue and diplomacy in Christian North Africa. King Eberardo, seeking to strengthen his realm, prepared to launch Hispania into what would prove to be a fifty-year struggle for domination with the Amazigh, Moorish, and Vandals for control of the region.

Spain's not under Islamic (Ismaili in this timeline) rule?

Changes in trade routes, different people moving in different places, spread of word encouraging different thinking, different sperm winning the race, the Ismailis, a Byzantine Emperor’s nephew sitting on a couch instead of standing. We’ve drifted over 500 years from OTL history. Enough time for the small change to ripple out big, in my writing.
You are arguing butterflies theory here and saint berdan and Ireland is so far away from everyhting else that some of these things would have stay the same