The Legacy of Saint Brendan: A History of the Western Hemisphere, 512 to 1400

You are arguing butterflies theory here and saint berdan and Ireland is so far away from everyhting else that some of these things would have stay the same
Europe is much more connected in the Dark Ages then we tend to think. Ireland effects Britain which effects France which effects Europe. A story of a Fanaithe voyage may cause a man to drink more heavily and reminisce with his comrades more before trying for a baby with his wife, changing which sperm will fertilize, changing his offspring and their offspring. A tale of far-off wealth may plant a seed in the mind a King to try to develop his Kingdom or invade his neighbor to take his land. Little changes, even small ones, can have drastic effects.

In the end, it also comes down to my creative choices. This is my timeline, the way I think that the world would have developed in a hypothetical scenario set roughly a millenia and a half before any of us were born. This is the way I have chosen to craft the scenario, and my roughly sixty pages of notes and snippets from research ensures that the world I am creating is internally consistent and makes sense in the context of this alternate universe- which, in the end, is the most important thing (as mankind, lacking the omniscience of Deity, cannot say exactly how things would have played out had Brendan discovered the New World). And, on the whole, I take the reception I have recieved as evidence people have enjoyed reading what I have written- which is my goal.

So I am personall satisfied with how I have handled this scenario. Others are welcome to pursue this scenario and apply a different set of logic or different approaches. But, in the end as I have said, this is my take on this situation.

Last edited:
Europe is much more connected in the Dark Ages then we tend to think. Ireland effects Britain which effects France which effects Europe. A story of a Fanaithe voyage may cause a man to drink more heavily and reminisce with his comrades more before trying for a baby with his wife, changing which sperm will fertilize, changing his offspring and their offspring. A tale of far-off wealth may plant a seed in the mind a King to try to develop his Kingdom or invade his neighbor to take his land. Little changes, even small ones, can have drastic effects.

In the end, it also comes down to my creative choices. This is my timeline, the way I think that the world would have developed in a hyptohetical scenario set roughly a millenia and a half before any of us were born. This is the way I have chosen to craft the scenario, and my roughly sixty pages of notes and snippets from research ensures that the world I am creating is internally consistent and makes sense in the context of this alternate universe- which, in the end, is the most important thing (as mankind, lacking the omniscene of Diety, cannot say exactly how things would have played out had Brendan discovered the New World). And, on the whole, I take the reception I have recieved as evidence people have enjoyed reading what I have written- which is my goal.

So I am personall satisfied with how I have handled this scenario. Others are welcome to pursue this scenario and apply a different set of logic or different approaches. But, in the end as I have said, this is my take on this situation.
K thanks for the explanation

jocay

Banned
A Christian North Africa would mean that whatever empire or kingdom(s) emerge in West Africa will likely adopt some form of Christianity. Not necessarily Chalcedonian Christianity given that the Vandals are around. Have they abandoned Arianism or not?

Last edited:
A Christian North Africa would mean that whatever empire or kingdom(s) emerge in West Africa will likely adopt some form of Christianity. Not necessarily Chalcedonian Christianity given that the Vandals are around. Have they abandoned Arianism or not?
The Vandals ended up becoming nominally Catholic over time, and became REALLY Catholic after the Pope led the effort to save their bacon when the Ismailis came calling.

The Vandals ended up becoming nominally Catholic over time, and became REALLY Catholic after the Pope led the effort to save their bacon when the Ismailis came calling.
I'm guessing that the Kingdom of Vandalia would have an Archdiocese in Carthage. Especially if a (likely apocryphal) story spreads about the Ismailis being stopped because of a miracle.

Rhomania, 1000 A.D.
byzantinedomains.png

Rhomania, 1000 A.D.

Despite the failure to recapture the old Italian territories, the Rhomanian Empire in 1000 A.D. was sitting strong as an economic and political powerhouse in Mediterranean Europe. Her northern borders were secured from the Croats, Onogurs, and Servs, and the border with the Ismaili Tayifa was quiet (or as quiet as it could have possibly been). Volusian II, Emperor of Rhomania, was content to maintain trade dominance of the Mediterranean, with very few territorial ambitions.

Update will probably come next week.

In the meantime, just to gauge the audience- in the future, would you like “narrative” interludes of sorts? Like stories or something?