The Legacy of Saint Brendan: A History of the Western Hemisphere, 512 to 1400

Wouldn't the horses be pretty inbred, though? It doesn't seem like more than a few hundred could've come over during the settlement period.
Inbreeding with livestock is much different than inbreeding with humans. A couple of hundred would be considered a healthy stock- after all, almost all thoroughbred racing horses in the world are descended from like 20 or so animals in the 18th century and are, for the most part, okay.

Yah what happening in the old world right now and I imagine when contact s reestablished well they are gonna be a host of new animals and crops with different genetics that will push them to gentic dievrsity and this is gonna be an odd question but are Americans dogs still alive? cause otl they were exicnt ad what type of dogs are the Europeans using

Wouldn't the horses be pretty inbred, though? It doesn't seem like more than a few hundred could've come over during the settlement period.
Well I wasn't saying they wouldn't be inbred but animals tend to be less adversely affected by incest compared to humans

What's the approximate population of Insula? The island's been settled for some 3, 4 centuries by European settlers, so I'd assume it's in the low hundreds of thousands, or at least the upper tens?

Last edited:
What's the approximate population of Insula? The island's been settled for some 3, 4 centuries by European settlers, so I'd assume it's in the low hundreds of thousands, or at least the upper tens?
Not even close. All though it's been settled for a long time it was basically just a monastic settlement or a place where Irish men would go adventuring for most of the time. No one actually came to live there until rather recently so the population is small as in the thousands. With the majority of that being the mixed Irish native race of meascatha

Vuu

Banned
Inbreeding with livestock is much different than inbreeding with humans. A couple of hundred would be considered a healthy stock- after all, almost all thoroughbred racing horses in the world are descended from like 20 or so animals in the 18th century and are, for the most part, okay.

THat's actually the same as with inbreeding with humans

All the bad examples are due to bad luck of one dude with a shit mutation surviving

THat's actually the same as with inbreeding with humans

All the bad examples are due to bad luck of one dude with a shit mutation surviving
Yeah, pretty much this. Inbreeding doesn't actually cause anything bad on it's own, it just shoots up the likelihood of a bad trait from the family's history being brought to the forefront. And it can be different for each child. For instance: Charles II of Spain was absolutely FUBAR, but his full-blooded sister was perfectly fine, in fact living to have children of her own.

I think that the way the new world going right now it gonna be a constant battle between the confederation the merchant and the nobles and church fighting a against each other until a force disrupt that balance

Chapter Four, Part Four: The Raven Comes
Chapter Four, Part Four: The Raven Comes, 985-990

From the Hreining Saga

Chapter Seventy-Eight: Inheritance

And, so, in his eighty-eigth year, King Hrein called all his sons and daughters to his house in Jorvik.[1] And as he sat upon his throne, he watched all his seed gather before him. When they had been seated, he began to speak.

“I am old, older than any of my ancestors before me. I have lived too long upon this earth, and I desire only to be called by Odin to join him in his hall. Therefore, I am going to go a-viking.”

And his children were astonished at his words. His eldest son, Aki, stood forth.

“Let me go with you, father, for my sword-arm is strong.”

But Hrein shook his head.

“No, my son. For you, it is fated that you should rule over the southern Angles.”

Then Thorlak, his second son, stood forth.

“Let me go with you, father, for my bow can strike far and true.”

“No, my son. For you, it is fated that you should rule over the northern Angles.”

Then Eyvald, his third son, stood forth.

“Let me go with you, father, for my axe has never been broken.”

“No, my son. For you, it is fated that you should by over-lord of the Irish." [2]

Then Holmlaug Sheildmaiden, his daughter, stood forth.

“Let me go with you, father, for my spear can pierce all armor.”

“No, my daughter. For you and your husband, it is fated that you should rule over Askraland and the lands of northern Norwegia.”

Then Sverting, his fourth son, stood forth.

“Let me go with you, father, for my armor can shed off all blows.”

“No, my son. For you, it is fated that you should rule over Denmark and the lands of southern Norwegia.”

Then Sigfus, his fifth son, stood forth.

“Let me go with you, father, for my tongue is known as the most cunning.”

“No, my son. For you, it is fated that you should rule over the Swedes.”

Then Arvid, his youngest son, did not stand, though all looked upon him to follow the examples of his brothers and sister.

And Hrein looked upon him.

“Why do you not stand, my youngest son? Do you not wish to travel with me?”

And Arvid shook his head.

“I have nothing to offer you, as my siblings have to offer you. If you reject them, you would surely reject me.”

And Hrein frowned and began to weep.

“Arvid, son of my old age; your mother was a Christian, and I know you have followed in her footsteps. You have only known a life of luxury- none of the strivings for glory that your elder siblings have seen.”

Hrein then stood and pointed to the West, where his door was open.

“You shall find your glory in the lands to the West, to Setraland. [3] You shall have to seek far for your inheritance.”

And from that day forth, Arvid was known as Arvid Far-Seeker...

Chapter Nintey-Six: How Arvid Far-Seeker Conquered Setraland

One day, Arvid Far-Seeker called for Gnuppi Korisson to visit him.

“I hear that you have seen Setraland with your own eyes.”

Gnuppi nodded.

“Yes, I have. For four years I have raided there, and carried away many captives and taken much treasure.”

Arvid nodded.

“I am preparing an expedition to take the Setraland for myself. Would you guide me?”

And Gnuppi nodded.

So Arvid Far-Seeker gathered together many men and ships, and sailed to his sister’s kingdom in Askraland. And Holmlaug greeted him, for she was in Askraland passing judgement. And the two spoke for many nights. Before he departed, Holmlaug gifted Arvid a sword of fine make and a coat of strong mail.

From Askraland, Arvid Far-Seeker and his band sailed to Setraland. When they came into sight of the island of the King of that land, they were met with a fleet of men in boats. The King of Setraland was in the front boat, girded for war. Arvid called for the raven banner of his father to be unfurled, to inspire his men who doubted being led by a Christian.

And then a fierce battle at sea was met, and Arvid lashed the boat of the King of Setraland to his own. And the King of Setraland tried to take off his armor so he could jump into the sea and escape, for he was sore afeared. But Arvid slew him, and took his head and placed it on the front of his boat. And the Setralanders fled, seeing their King was dead.

And Arvid and his men sailed to the island of the Setralanders, and rode up to the monastery there. And the monks there barred the door against him, fearing he would seek to raid them. But Arvid calmed their fears.

“I am a Christian; and I will honor your rights and arrangements if you will proclaim me King of these lands.”

And the monks did so, consecrating him as King of Setraland. [4] But the relatives of the slain King were angered, and sought to turn the mainland against him...

[1] - Hrein, son of Glam, also known as Hrein the Great or Hrein the Conquerer, was one of the most important Ostmen in the history of the world. His conquests in the 9th century saw the uniting of the vast “Northern Realm”; this would not survive him. He was noted for retaining his pagan beliefs, though he would work closely with a Christian Anglish population.

[2] - The phrasing here is different than the others, as the Ostish grip on Ireland was much more loose than on their Ascomannian or Anglish holdings. The Ostish were tributary lords here, controlling several coastal trading settlements directly.

[3] - “Setting Land”, as in the “Land of the Setting Sun”. The Norse term for Talbeah.

[4] - Unlike the office of Gorfodi, which was roughly translated as "King" in the Saga, the office that Arvid Far-Seeker was given was a more traditional kingship.

Last edited:
Sorry that I am so igroant but Setraland what is that and so what pod caused it to found a empire that united the norse world

So Arvid rules in Peace Town while the late Arthfael's relatives try to rally Talbeah proper against him? I don't see this ending well for the Britons-- the monks ally with whoever is strong enough to protect them, and a substantial portion of the Fanaithe still resent their self-appointed overlords. Add in likely infighting among the Briton party and we might end up with a series of Briton-led and Fanaithe-led petty states on the mainland that Arvid's men can levy tribute from at will. Best-case scenario for the Britons seems to be if the monks conclude that the Ostish Konungr is more trouble than he's worth and throw their support behind one of the Briton claimants to the old Gorfodi title.

Sorry that I am so igroant but Setraland what is that and so what pod caused it to found a empire that united the norse world

King Hrein is basically this world's Cnut the Great, and his children split up TTL's North Sea Empire among themselves. Arvid, however, doesn't get a piece of the Empire and seeks his own kingdom in Setraland, a Norse term which is essentially synonymous with Talbeah.

So Arvid rules in Peace Town while the late Arthfael's relatives try to rally Talbeah proper against him? I don't see this ending well for the Britons-- the monks ally with whoever is strong enough to protect them, and a substantial portion of the Fanaithe still resent their self-appointed overlords. Add in likely infighting among the Briton party and we might end up with a series of Briton-led and Fanaithe-led petty states on the mainland that Arvid's men can levy tribute from at will. Best-case scenario for the Britons seems to be if the monks conclude that the Ostish Konungr is more trouble than he's worth and throw their support behind one of the Briton claimants to the old Gorfodi title.

King Hrein is basically this world's Cnut the Great, and his children split up TTL's North Sea Empire among themselves. Arvid, however, doesn't get a piece of the Empire and seeks his own kingdom in Setraland, a Norse term which is essentially synonymous with Talbeah.
Avird will probably send ships asking for men and a version of the Dan law there will emerge I bet