The Legacy of Good King Fred

Hrm. It didn't' seem to me that Prussia had invaded Saxony yet, or that Virginia had actually invaded the Ohio country.

The updates aren't necessarily linear, as they come from different sources, but more by theme. So the last one was on the alliances, and the next one will be on the beginning of the war in America, and there's overlap between them. I'm quietly dropping in small changes, some of which will matter and some of which will not.

Tensions had continued since the end of King George's War with the French settlers and their American allies. The founding of Halifax had infringed on a 1726 peace treaty with the Mi'kmaq, one of the member tribes of the Wabanaki Confederacy, and continued hostilities around Acadia had lasted for several years as Britain continued to expand in the area. However, it was further south where the latest round of hostilities were to emerge. British trading activity was increasingly penetrating the Ohio country, despite long-held French claims to the area. The French responded by sending military expeditions to the area, who constructed a string of forts in the area and driving off British traders. The Virginian Ohio Company faced particularly large financial vulnerabilities to the new French presence. Political connections of the company resulted in Virginia sending a military party to the area, led by a young George Washington, unsuccessfully demanding the withdrawal of French forces. Conflict erupted again at what is now eastern Charlotina, when Washington successfully attacked a French scouting party. A later French counter attack forced a British withdrawal, but the French and Indian War had begun.

News of the emerging conflict reached Westminster in August, where the Fox ministry quickly sent an army expedition to America. An attempt to blockade French ports before Paris sent reinforcements was unsuccessful, with six French regiments crossing the Atlantic. Fox, hoping to energise his ministration with military success, formed an aggressive plan of action, with a series of expeditions to take the French forts of Niagara, St Frederic and Beausejour, which encircled the British colonies. Only the latter proved to be successful, with the administrative bungling in the Niagara attack proving to be particularly embarassing for the government. The expedition to Beausejour was also of historical note due to the expulsion of the French-speaking Acadians, a precedent for many later expulsions by the British.

With 1756 came the formal declarations of war between France and Britain. Unfortunately, the year proved to be no kinder to the Fox ministry than the previous year. Political jockeying between military generals and colonial leadership prevented a fresh attack on Fort Niagara, and a plan to take Fort Frontenac never came to fruition for similar reasons. A French attack on Fort Bull saw a massacre of British troops and a huge loss of gunpowder and other supplies to the conquering force, an incident seized on by the parliamentary opposition in Westminster. A combination of political paralysis in London and overcautious British commanders on the ground saw a number of further setbacks. Fort Oswego fell shortly afterwards, and an expedition to take Quebec took heavy losses due to a surprise attack by France's tribal allies. The calamitous ministerial leadership of the war effort was finally brought to an end in June with the sudden death of King George.

Wagoner, Stefan (1997), A Modern History of North America, New York, New York

french and indian war.jpg

I've been working for promotion, got married and became a father in the last year. Still planning behind the scenes but I only want to publish new posts when it won't be months between them.

Just caught up on what has been posted.

I sympathize on how real life has interfered with your updates, but look forward to when you can. So far I am enjoying the buildup.