The Last Hanover: The Life and Reign of Queen Charlotte

Still around, still working on a chapter - life just really does not want to give me a break, lately. If anybody has any requests for tidbits or future glimpses to tide you over, please let me know!

Still around, still working on a chapter - life just really does not want to give me a break, lately. If anybody has any requests for tidbits or future glimpses to tide you over, please let me know!
Don'r worry, we understand, life can be very trying. But i know the chapter will be worth the wait as always.

Thinking about stuff lately, I wonder if this PoD of this TL -- where Princess Charlotte of Wales survives and subsequently becomes Queen -- isn't a bigger deal in itself than we may be giving it credit for, in terms of changing British society, politics, and history.

Put it this way -- the monarchy as it exists today (as a de facto figurehead that basically just stands aside to let Parliament run the country) only really came into being following the Hanoverian Succession in 1714 (since prior to this, you had things like the Royal Veto actually being used, etc). But it could be argued that this state of affairs was only really consolidated (OTL) during the Victorian Age -- you still had plenty of examples of Kings George III and George IV actively interfering with their governments (from the Third undercutting Britain's position in the Seven Years War, to the Fourth fighting his government over Catholic emancipation); subsequently, with Queen Victoria, you had events like her conceding in the Bedchamber Affair, essentially conceding that she would do as little as possible to interfere in the partisan competition that had come to define British politics.

Now it may be this reading is off; but if I am on to something here, it does raise the interesting question -- would the transition toward democratic constitutional monarchy that OTL saw be anywhere near as smooth if George IV had been succeeded by his daughter?

Thinking about stuff lately, I wonder if this PoD of this TL -- where Princess Charlotte of Wales survives and subsequently becomes Queen -- isn't a bigger deal in itself than we may be giving it credit for, in terms of changing British society, politics, and history.

Put it this way -- the monarchy as it exists today (as a de facto figurehead that basically just stands aside to let Parliament run the country) only really came into being following the Hanoverian Succession in 1714 (since prior to this, you had things like the Royal Veto actually being used, etc). But it could be argued that this state of affairs was only really consolidated (OTL) during the Victorian Age -- you still had plenty of examples of Kings George III and George IV actively interfering with their governments (from the Third undercutting Britain's position in the Seven Years War, to the Fourth fighting his government over Catholic emancipation); subsequently, with Queen Victoria, you had events like her conceding in the Bedchamber Affair, essentially conceding that she would do as little as possible to interfere in the partisan competition that had come to define British politics.

Now it may be this reading is off; but if I am on to something here, it does raise the interesting question -- would the transition toward democratic constitutional monarchy that OTL saw be anywhere near as smooth if George IV had been succeeded by his daughter?
Considering who Victoria was NOT educated at all to rule and knew very little about what she could and could not do is almost guaranteed who the Sovereigns of England would keep much more power with anyone else (including a differently raised and better educated Victoria) on the throne

Unrelated to the above discussion, but I just had a thought. So, the Prince or Princess of Wales motto is Ich dien or I Serve in German. I remember hearing that there was a movement to change it to I Serve in Welsh that didn’t really go anywhere. With Charlotte and then later George speaking Welsh, do y’all think this is likely to change?

Unrelated to the above discussion, but I just had a thought. So, the Prince or Princess of Wales motto is Ich dien or I Serve in German. I remember hearing that there was a movement to change it to I Serve in Welsh that didn’t really go anywhere. With Charlotte and then later George speaking Welsh, do y’all think this is likely to change?
Oh yeah, Lotte and Georgie coudl change it in Georgie's official investure.

Had not thought of this but I love it - and I can definitely see George pushing for it!

Now that the turtledoves are here, I would gladly second it, if anybody would nominate this tl for the award in the Best Colonialism & Revolutions category :) I'm afraid that I can't nominate it myself, as I've already nominated another, but I was very torn between that one and this

Now that the turtledoves are here, I would gladly second it, if anybody would nominate this tl for the award in the Best Colonialism & Revolutions category :) I'm afraid that I can't nominate it myself, as I've already nominated another, but I was very torn between that one and this
Thank you so much for this ❤️

I am doing my best to get the next update out as soon as life allows!

check this shit out.

So, I took this weekend to reread the timeline for the nth time, and here are some of my thoughts.

Victoire is sure that if her niece could become Queen of England and give the King a son, Victoire would be in for life. Aunt to the Queen of the United Kingdom, great-aunt to the new King, and mother of the King of Hanover is quite a coup, it must be admitted.
Does Victoire realize that if George has a son her son won’t be King of Hanover?

Since Drina is a) not stupid (despite later life choices that one must squint at sideways to see the logic in)
meaning that she will only play or interact with kings or future kings). This statement will prove to be terribly (and for Victoria, rather unfortunately) ironic in about forty years.
Her only comfort was her daughter, Drina, whom she tries to keep by her side constantly. (Drina actively hates this and will later quite literally run from anyone showing any form of negative emotions, remarking to her husband that “having served as Mama’s comfort after the death of my brother, I no longer have any comfort to give anyone else”).
I love the hints towards Drina later on life.

indeed, there will even be a MacDonell ‘remarkably close to the crown’ in the future. But that comes later.
I really love all the fun future hints.

I’m simply amazed at your ability to keep so many people, countries, and other things straight. And I’m very excited o see more of the kids as they age!

So, I took this weekend to reread the timeline for the nth time, and here are some of my thoughts.

Does Victoire realize that if George has a son her son won’t be King of Hanover?
Victoire is / was choosing to ignore any information that doesn't suit her, similar to OTL behaviors lol

I love the hints towards Drina later on life.
Ohh, Drina. Her future will be fun to write, if only because I'm a horrible person ;)

I really love all the fun future hints.
The MacDonell has made their appearance in one of the future tidbits, btw ;)

I’m simply amazed at your ability to keep so many people, countries, and other things straight. And I’m very excited o see more of the kids as they age!
Awww thank you! ❤️