The Last Hanover: The Life and Reign of Queen Charlotte

And I just HAVE TO KNOW who is minx! Who is the little queen that hates to see my bad bitch winning!!!
Oh, this had me dying laughing. I cannot wait for the commentary when the Minx makes her grand debut x'D

For whatever comfort it gives you, Leopoldina *always* triumphs over the Minx

Like everyone else I am interested in the minx.
One comment is it seems like in some areas Augusta’s youngest son is called Moritz and in some is called Maximilian

Augusta's youngest son has a German name... Augusta is apparently a queen... is she married to the King of Belgium?
Gotta wait if it gains it's indipendence. For the moment my bet is in Hanover, the Natural childrn tiped me off in that direction with little georgie of hanover taking after his father in that department.

Tidbits: Georgie
In honor of his 'birthday' and mine (and yes, I did originally start this TL because I saw that Charlotte's son was stillborn on my birthday and I didn't like it), I thought we'd take a look at some of what Georgie has been getting up to 'this' year (1833):

P_Alfred_1865.jpg

HRH The Prince George, circa 1833 [1]

“HRH The Prince of Wales - known hereafter as Kendal, the name he served under per HM’s command - enrolled in the royal navy in 1832 as a cadet. In 1833, after one year of service, Cadet Kendal was involved in a rescue mission after his superior officer, Captain William Martin [2], fell overboard during a squall. Exhibiting quick-thinking, selflessness, and bravery, the young cadet immediately tied a rope around his own waist and to the rail and dove overboard to collect his captain before being pulled back onto the deck. Upon being informed of this situation, the First Naval Lord [3] commanded the appearance of the young cadet before him in Portsmouth. When asked what he, the heir to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, was thinking when doing such a thing, Cadet Kendal replied “I was thinking of my duty to my superior officer, sir, and to the Service.” After a moment, the young man added “Besides, they’ve got eight more at home”. The young man was dressed down for the disparaging remark against HM The Queen and HRH The Prince Consort, sentenced to night watch duty for two months, and informed that a record would be kept of the incident and his superiors granted full rein to treat any further “foolishness” accordingly. The First Naval Lord remarked that Nelson would have arrested the boy for treason for threatening the life of the heir to the throne. The young man remarked that Nelson could not have possibly faced off against his mother and received an additional month of night watch duty.”

-Excerpt from the Royal Navy's Classified File: HRH The Prince of Wales, aka Lieutenant George Kendal

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

"Dear Pius [4],
I have received your letter asking me to intervene with Mama about you and Ernest enrolling as a prince in our military. When you arrive to do so, allow me to introduce you to Naval Cadet George Kendal, currently serving night patrol as penalty for speaking disrespectfully about the Queen and the heir to a superior officer (I'll explain how I managed it later). When you meet him, perhaps you can point him towards the Prince of Wales? There isn't one in country at the moment but I am hoping to meet him one day - probably the same day that Mama allows you and Ernest a privilege denied to her own son and heir. Apologize to the Austrians, Pius. Make nice and grin and bear it. Write to me of it - I'd love to see Ernest begging pardon. Ad astra per aspera [5], my friend.

-Odysseus [6]"

-Letter to HSH Prince Albrecht of Saxe-Coburg und Gotha from HRH The Prince George

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

"Saw dear Georgie confirmed today at Windsor, in St. George’s Chapel. That awful dean [7] did not perform the service, thankfully - Lotte has had quite enough of him and made it quite clear that if the odious little man attempted to interrupt George’s confirmation, she would see him run out of his position. The year has been long on her, darling - do not judge her temper for being as it is, especially towards one so deserving of its brunt. The service was performed by Ag. Fitz [8] and it was quite simple and lovely, with only family present - and not terribly long. I am an old woman now and not fond of such things. Luncheon served afterward in the Castle, all of Georgie’s favorite foods. Bit of an awkward moment following luncheon - Georgie cornered Lotte and began to pester about when he would be made Prince of Wales, now that he was confirmed and already sixteen, and she on the throne for three years now. He made quite a good argument, truth be told - Stuart [9] must have been working with him on it. Lotte refused and immediately shut down the subject. Ended the day on a somewhat stressful note, as you can imagine”.

-Letter from HRH The Dowager Duchess of York and Albany to HM The Queen of Hanover

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“My son,

I write this brief missive to explain to you, frankly, your mother’s reasoning for not granting you the traditional titles of the heir - as you know, she was quite overcome following your conversation, and I would not have it happen again. Let me begin by saying that it is not, in any way, due to any displeasure with you - we are immensely pleased with you, as a man and as our son, and have received numerous reports to the same effect from Stuart and others. Your mother does not wish you forced into your duties and responsibilities as heir before your time, Siôr [10]. The title Prince of Wales in particular is a thorn in her heart, as it belonged so long to her father and it to this day is so much associated with him. She would have that association lessen before granting the title again, to give you an opportunity to make it your own. Lastly, we both wish you to finish your training unencumbered by these things - you must succeed or fail on your own merit, prove your own mettle, and not be bolstered along by privilege and status. Your mother is aware of the commentary surrounding the military service of her own uncles and would not have the same said of you or your brothers. I must counsel patience, my son, in regard to this matter. To pester your mother further will only harden her mind on the matter, and it will displease me greatly. Trim your sails and wait for the fine winds. I will consider this matter closed, and it will not be revisited on your return for the Christmas season.

-Your father”

-Letter to HRH The Prince George from HRH The Prince Consort, The Duke of Kendal

“Missy,

Stop telling tales about myself and L - got me into horrible trouble with her father regarding her future and mine. I will manage it as I see fit. Be nice now, Miss, or I shall not bring you the present I got you in Malta.

Also, stop writing gossip to Albert - I dislike being lectured on two fronts! Write about his service in Austria, God knows he is dying for you to acknowledge it.

-Siôr”

-Letter to HRH The Princess Mary from HRH The Prince George

[1] It’s actually a photo of Alfred, the Duke of Edinburgh

[2] If the name looks familiar, it’s because Captain Martin eventually became the First Naval Lord in 1858 OTL

[3] Sir Thomas Hardy, who was... ahem, very well acquainted with Nelson and his personality.

[4] Pius after the Roman Emperor Antonious Pius and for Albert’s own ‘piety and goodness’

[5] To the stars through adversity - literally, success through hardship. Or ‘suck it up and take it’.

[6] After the famous sailor-king, of course - it’s Albert’s nickname for George in response to the Pius nickname. Unfortunately for Albert, George thinks it’s awesome and insists on Albert using it.

[7] Henry Hobart, Dean of Windsor, who previously earned Charlotte’s wrath by writing to her and thanking her for having five sons and safeguarding “from the incredible curse of a female succession" (OTL he wrote this to Queen Victoria on the birth of the Prince of Wales, and equally pissed her off).

[8] Augustus Fitzclarence, the Bishop of Chester

[9] Charles Stuart, Lord Stuart de Rothesay, currently serving as George’s governor.

[10] Welsh for ‘George’, George’s preferred name when writing to family and intimates

Last edited:
Absolutely loved to see what Lotte's heir is up to!

Of course Georgie will risk his life for another! I would ecpect nothing else! We got a future royal Nelson in our hands!

It also warms my hearth to see his interaction with Lotte and Leo, they're clearly proud of him, plus Missy and his brotherhood with Albert!