The Last Hanover: The Life and Reign of Queen Charlotte

Love this, I think I know want pirates of the Caribbean Conroy.

Also surprised Luisa wasn’t proposed as Afonso’s future wife to sweeten the deal.

Also surprised Luisa wasn’t proposed as Afonso’s future wife to sweeten the deal.
Given the mortality rate in the Spanish royal family, Luisa unfortunately has to stay in Spain and marry a cousin (this is the last generation of inbreeding for Spain for awhile, I promise) to avoid the whole Iberian Union thing.

(Also, Ludovika has laid down the law: Afonso is marrying one of her nieces. Miguel figures anyone who is even remotely related to and thus like his awesome wife is also going to be awesome, so he doesn't mind)

Given the mortality rate in the Spanish royal family, Luisa unfortunately has to stay in Spain and marry a cousin (this is the last generation of inbreeding for Spain for awhile, I promise) to avoid the whole Iberian Union thing.

(Also, Ludovika has laid down the law: Afonso is marrying one of her nieces. Miguel figures anyone who is even remotely related to and thus like his awesome wife is also going to be awesome, so he doesn't mind)
I sweat to God the Royal families of portugal and spain (the new bourbon one) have taken too much of a page of the Habsburgs: Any doubts of succession? Marry a relative! No princes or princesses worthy? Marry a relative! Doubt about anything? Marry a relative!

Hopefully, as you said, the gene pool will be refreshed with new DNA, wouldnt want another Charles II.

I'm guessing there's a fair chance Otto I of Greece actually has children TTL -- which arguably may be a deciding factor in averting his overthrow thirty years down the line.

I sweat to God the Royal families of portugal and spain (the new bourbon one) have taken too much of a page of the Habsburgs: Any doubts of succession? Marry a relative! No princes or princesses worthy? Marry a relative! Doubt about anything? Marry a relative!
In OTL they got much worse than the Habsburg Spanish (NOT a surprise, considering who also Trastamara and Avis had been pretty keen on intermarriages, specially the latter). And Habsburg Lorraine and other Bourbons were also quite in the ”game” but not at the same level (or well see also the Savoy with two first cousins marriage in a row)

In OTL they got much worse than the Habsburg Spanish (NOT a surprise, considering who also Trastamara and Avis had been pretty keen on intermarriages, specially the latter). And Habsburg Lorraine and other Bourbons were also quite in the ”game” but not at the same level (or well see also the Savoy with two first cousins marriage in a row)
Hopefully this time they Will seek outside the family tree before it collapses on itself

(Honestly, it’s Isabel Maria - who would really just like to live a quiet life with her books and be left alone - who suffers the most in this situation).

This line is hilarious!

(he’s previously politely turned down offers for patronage of Cambridge and Oxford as, given the rivalry, he didn’t want to make any enemies by favoring one over the other

Maybe if someone in the royal family has twins, one twin could be the patron for Cambridge, and the other twin could be the patron for Oxford?

As for Aleksandr of Russia, he leaves no documentation behind - and neither does anyone else - of the fact that he has just met his future Empress for the first time.
Oooh, can't wait

In order to tie up loose ends and remove the option for warring claimants, the Infanta Isabel will marry her cousin, the Infante Carlos, eldest son of Carlos and Maria Francisca, upon her sixteenth birthday [23].
If I've worked it out correctly, Isabel and Carlos are - due to both their mothers being the nieces of their uncles* - simultaneously first cousins, second cousins, and double first cousins once removed.

*And, naturally, Ferdinand and Carlos' brother Francisco also married a niece. And one of their sisters married their uncle. Apparently two creepy uncles was not enough for that family. You would think Spanish royalty would be more careful about incest after Charles II, but no. Hopefully this time they'll at least wait for the bride to be of age before performing the marriage.

Hurray! It's back!

I loved the chapter, squeaked at the mention of Governor Melbourne (thank you so much for going along with that ❤)

And don't think I didn't notice the mention of Baron Stuart de Rothesay and his wife and daughters arriving at Court 😉

Let's hope George enjoys his time in the Navy!

Looking forward to more, as always 😃

Last edited:
Hurray! It's back!

I loved the chapter, squeaked at the mention of Governor Melbourne (thank you so much for going along with that ❤)

And don't think I didn't notice the mention of Baron Stuart de Rothesay and his wife and daughters arriving at Court 😉

Let's hope George enjoys his time in the Navy!

Looking forward to more, as always 😃
Thank you (and @VVD0D95 , @WillVictoria , and @Kellan Sullivan ) for all your help writing this installment and this TL! ❤️

... not me frantically writing a scene with Conroy, rum, and a zombie monkey lol

If I've worked it out correctly, Isabel and Carlos are - due to both their mothers being the nieces of their uncles* - simultaneously first cousins, second cousins, and double first cousins once removed.
Ewww 🤢 my inner biology nerd is so very upset at this.

*And, naturally, Ferdinand and Carlos' brother Francisco also married a niece. And one of their sisters married their uncle. Apparently two creepy uncles was not enough for that family. You would think Spanish royalty would be more careful about incest after Charles II, but no. Hopefully this time they'll at least wait for the bride to be of age before performing the marriage.
Yeah, the whole thing is just absolutely ridiculous. The family tree is just a very twisty stick at this point.

Isabel will be sixteen when she marries, and this is absolutely the last crazy genetic inbreeding generation for the Bourbons of Spain, pinky swear!

And even after the reality check that was Carlos II they all still do it! Honeslty do the idea of fresh stock on gene pool is so unappilling to them?!
Politics and diplomacy dictate the matches, and Carlos II was mostly back luck as he had a perfectly healthy full sister and an healthy niece with a worst gene pool than his own by the way…

Hopefully, even with politics ont he way, the new generation can marry both for love as best girl Lotte did and with someone they are nost as closely related as Isabella and her future Beau.