The Kongo

This is a reboot of a TL I started a while ago and never went very far with. However my work with Duck and Cover has given me the strength to try again. So here is The Kongo:

[FONT=&quot]Chapter 1:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kings[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Berlin 1905:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The meeting was held in his private meeting room, but to call it a secret meeting place was stretching the truth a bit too much. If the two sentries were anything but a giveaway, the few but influential people entering the room would surely confirm that something important was happening inside. However, in this day and age privacy was the equivalent of secrecy, and of the small number of guests invited kept the secret a better kept one. As to what was to happen inside the room few of the “guests” had any indication, but they knew it was to be dramatic and important.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Kaiser Wilhelm II sat at the head of the small table in the surprisingly spartan room. The Kaiser himself was known for petty frivolities and obsessions of personal grandeur, at the appropriate time he was known for his practicality. This was one of them. Sitting around the table were his three closest advisors and political allies. Bernhard von Bulow, the Chancellor sat to Wilhelm’s right. To the Kaiser’s left sat Alfred von Tirpitz, the father of the German navy, and across the table from Wilhelm sat Alfred von Schlieffen who represented the German Army. While the seating of Bulow was absolutely a political statement, the seating of the “Two Alfreds” was purely chance. The Kaiser’s well known benefaction of the Navy’s dramatic growth, at quite an expense, always prompted Tirpitz to come to any meeting with his patron quite a bit earlier than Schlieffen. Schlieffen himself looked haggard, and worst of all he came late. “Sorry my Kaiser,” he said bowing “I had been caught up in our most recent project.” The last statement invoked a curious glance from both Burlow and Tirpitz. The Kaiser never kept much from them. This secret project with the Army was something unusual. They waited anxiously for the Kaiser to begin.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Gentleman” the Kaiser pronounced “I have decided to cancel my trip to Morocco.” Ignoring the surprised look Bulow gave him, (the trip was supposed to be only two weeks out!) the Kaiser continued. “I have come across a better opportunity for the Reich.” Dramatically he flourished a newspaper onto the table. The headline screamed ATROCITIES IN THE CONGO! It was nearly a month old. Most of the men knew what the so called atrocities were, just what every empire, including their own, used to keep the native people under control. It was just fate that the Belgians had a particularly ruthless ruler. “As you very well know the Empire is without much of an empire at all, we are encircled by both Russia and France. The treaty of Berlin left us with a pitiful empire, smaller than the Portuguese!” his voice was now venom dripping with the wounded pride of a great Empire dominated by lesser ones. “We have the strongest Army in the world, and the second strongest navy only to the massive British! We deserve a colonial empire! The Americans denied us, the Europeans denied us, but we will not deny ourselves!”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“Tomorrow I will give a speech imploring Belgium to leave the Congo, for the betterment of the natives. If they do not leave in 48 hours I would like count on your support wresting the Congo from the Belgians.” The Kaiser looked at his supporters. “There is another point to this plan I want you to consider, a week after hostilities begin I will sign an agreement with the Belgians, proposing that neither of our armies will clash in Europe.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“You can count on my support” Bulow acknowledged. “I will marshal the Reichstag to support you with any laws required for that treaty to pass. Yet as to the aim of such a treaty I see no reason why we do not just conquer Belgium? And how in 48 hours will we get an Army half-way across the globe?”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“The treaty is simply because of two things: We do not need to bring Britain into this argument. And secondly we are supporting the natives against a dictatorial regime. It will look all the better for us. We will be liberators not conquerors” explained Kaiser Wilhelm. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“The Navy is completely up to the task” exclaimed Tirpitz “yet an army across the globe in 48 hours and up the Congo River you are asking almost too much of my ships and men!”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“That is for Schlieffen to explain” conceded the Kaiser ignoring the outburst from Tirpitz, Tirpitz was obviously jealous, anxious and, confused.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Schlieffen slowly stood up and pointed to a map of Africa on one of the walls. He took a pointer pointed to different portions of the map as he talked. “We will use the Congo’s rivers to our advantage. Our [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Schutztruppe will attack the posts along the Lukuga River, floating up on rented and requisitioned boats. They will raid until they meet the junction of the Congo River. Two months ago I sent a unit of engineers up to Lake Kinus, where they made a road to the Oso Lake.” He paused for effect; it was noticeable on both Tirpitz and Bulow’s faces. This plan had already been enacted behind their backs.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Schlieffen continued[/FONT][FONT=&quot]” From Oso Lake a second unit will float down the Congo River to the ocean, attacking and raiding. Both of these attacks are hit and run, simply buying us time for the navy to arrive with the rest of my troops. We will then enter a second phase attacking up and down the rivers simultaneously. The Belgians should give up quickly. The troops we will most likely encounter are mercenaries hired as thugs to attack the locals. Few of them will have experience fighting a real army and they should flee quickly.” He nodded to the Kaiser. “I just had gotten a telegraph saying that the road was completed last week and all of our troops are positioned and ready before the meeting. That is why I was late.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Kaiser stood “I expect that you will need some time to iron out the particulars of the long term plans. I will retire now; you three may continue the discussion.” He picked up his hat and headed out the door. “I have a speech to give.”[/FONT]

Last edited:
Interesting, limited colonial warfare, and no European trench warfare either. Wonder if France and Britain will support the Belgians?

abc123

Banned
I don't see that Germany will support natives in Congo against Belgians.
Simply, this is 1905 and no european countr will do such thing because they all have colonies and if they do something like that about Belgian cruelties in Congo, tomorrow someone other can do the same thing to them and nobody knows whan they will have to act as ruthlessly as Belgians ( Herrero )....
;)

Some diplomatic protest is the maximum IMHO.

Looks promising.

Strictly, the Congo wasn't Belgian in 1905. The Congo Free State was the private realm of Leopold II, ruled using mercenaries.

Simply, this is 1905 and no european countr will do such thing because they all have colonies and if they do something like that about Belgian cruelties in Congo, tomorrow someone other can do the same thing to them and nobody knows whan they will have to act as ruthlessly as Belgians ( Herrero )....
;)

After some scandals and the conduct of the Herero war became known in Germany, German colonial politics changed to a friendlier rule aiming to improve the local conditions, which helped to create support at least in Tanganjika in WWI. If this changes happen earlier and show successes, I can see Germany trying to appear as protector of the natives. But yes this tl is streching plausibility a bit.
I wouldn´t believe for example the other Great Powers to stay neutral, unless they are promised huge parts of the colony in exchange. This tl can be fun nonetheless.

Looks promising.

Strictly, the Congo wasn't Belgian in 1905. The Congo Free State was the private realm of Leopold II, ruled using mercenaries.

So Leo II has some mercs running the area. Nothing compared to the German troops that'll come in.

So Leo II has some mercs running the area. Nothing compared to the German troops that'll come in.

Germany had a better army, but it's hard to imagine how the Germans could treat the natives any worse than Leopold's regime did.

Well, Britain and France might get behind the idea of a dissolution of the Congo Free State, if they get some of the spoils. If Britain and France side with Germany, then Leopold is on his own, since the Belgian parliament wouldn't back him.

;)

Exactly, this is just unwarranted German colonial expansion. I have a feeling the outrage by the people over this will be largely be directed at the Belgans, the other countries would use this even to deflect attention FROM the atrocities committed in their colonies.

Looks promising.

Yes, and that's why Germany is going to sign the "we won't invade you" treaty. It will make it seem the war is not against Belgium, but against the "evils of other people's colonialism".

Well, Britain and France might get behind the idea of a dissolution of the Congo Free State, if they get some of the spoils. If Britain and France side with Germany, then Leopold is on his own, since the Belgian parliament wouldn't back him.

There will be lots of behind the back diplomacy happening, like when the US 'liberated' the colonies from Spain in the Spanish-American war.

[FONT=&quot]Chapter 2:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pawns[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]March 17th 1905, Somewhere in the Congo River Basin, Dusk:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Night was just beginning to fall at the river station, but in the jungle it was already pitch black. Frogs chirped and insects buzzed in the bush. The lone sentry was spending more of his time watching out for the mosquitoes than watching out for German Soldiers. Everyone at the station had said that the Kaiser’s speech was all talk. He slapped a mosquito, sat down and rested his rifle on his knees. He was tired and his shift was about to end soon.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Less than one hundred meters away, Gefreiter Zachariah Mekwue gripped his rifle with all his might. Hidden in the bush the lone enemy sentry didn’t see the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Schutztruppe[/FONT][FONT=&quot] approach so close to the station. The Schutztruppe were going into their first battle and Zachariah’s squad was to lead the charge. As a colonial soldier, he and most of the young men from his village were conscripted less than two months before and forced into backbreaking work building a road that led to nowhere. Some basic rifle drill and marching was taught afterward, but they had spent very little time firing their weapons, and even less performing maneuvers. To call them ill prepared was generous. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Another Schutztruppe crawled up next to Zachariah. “You ready to die, farmer boy?” It was the chief’s son, Ezekiel. Always well fed, and always with far too much time on his hands, Ezekiel handedly won every wrestling match during the festivals. Zachariah coming from one of the poorest and largest families in the village spent his youth being bullied and tormented by Ezekiel and his brothers. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“I will not die today nor any day I do not choose, Ezekeil.” Zachariah coldly replied. Here in the German Army, they were both equals, both conscripts. A white NCO crawled over and cracked Zachariah over the head.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“No talking monkey boy, you understand? I said no talking.” The NCO glared angrily Zachariah. “For that fucking stupid mistake both of you will lead the charge. If we’re lucky, the sentry will miss and blow off your fucking balls so you can’t spread your stupid throughout the human race. Now GO!” The NCO kicked Zachariah and Ezekiel to get tem going. He pressed a whistle to his lips and blew. “CHARGE!”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Zachariah stood up and charged screaming. In retrospect the tactic wasn’t especially intelligent. The initial effect of the screaming was that the lone sentry fired a blind shot and ran into the station’s main building. The second effect was that it awoke every person in the station, and gave them a few extra seconds to arm themselves. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The crack of gunfire erupted from the two closest windows cutting down the soldiers to Zachariah’s left and right. A second volley and a third opened up. They still had 50 meters to go. Zachariah fired, quite poorly, at one of the windows showering the man inside with plaster. By this time the rest of the company had entered the charge and the handful of defenders inside the station quickly threw out a white piece of cloth. All in all the first battle of the Summer War lasted less than a minute and with six casualties on the German side and with no casualties among the six Belgians. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Zachariah was and afraid during the charge. But for some strange reason with death so close he had felt the strangest sense of exhilaration he had never felt in his life. He had been close to death before, the droughts were especially harsh on his family, and starvation, disease, and animal attacks were always a possibility in his hardscrabble life. During charge death was less remote and more of a distinct possibility, especially when he was the one leading it. Perhaps he could learn to like war.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The officers ordered them to sweep the area, and the prisoners at the station were rounded up. Separated into two groups, the white employees of the Congo Free State said nothing to the Germans they were stoic and their hard glares at the German troops echoed defiance. The Congolese porters who were trapped at the station during the attack were also quiet, afraid that at any moment they would be killed. After none of the whites would talk, they were beaten, bound, and put under armed guard. Under the threat of torture, one of the African porters spoke up. A white man had indeed escaped the attack and was on his to the next station down the river, obviously carrying the news of the attack. A group of Schutztruppe were sent after the escapee, but there was a slim chance that they would catch the man in the dark. Any hope of surprise was lost. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Just as the search party left, the rest of the German troops arrived. These were German regulars, sent from Germany to fight for the Kaiser and his Empire. Their brand new equipment glinted with an unnatural glean in the moonlight. None of them had fought in the past battle, yet they still marched with an arrogant air as if the were still on parade not at war. As the regulars marched in a handful of steamships floated up river. An old rusty dinghy led the rest of the ships, newly built and freshly painted, steamers rented for the mission by the German government. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“All right we’re on that ship. Everyone load up.” The NCO pointed at the dilapidated old ship. After quizzically studying the squad for a few moments he looked right a Zachariah and asked “Loudmouth where’s monkey boy?” Zachariah hadn’t even thought of Ezekiel since the carge and now he was missing. “I have no idea Sergeant.” Zachariah said. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Well you better find him. Or your walking to the next station.” The NCO growled. “Find him.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Zachariah trampled through the bush and found Ezekiel whimpering where the NCO had kicked him. “Is the battle over?” he asked. Zachariah just stared at him. “You didn’t come with us did you?” [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“No of course not, I don’t want to get killed.” There was a putrid smell in the air. Zachariah recoiled. Big, tough, Ezekiel had shit himself. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Zachariah grabbed Ezekiel by the collar and dragged the blubbering mass to the boat. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Found him Sergeant.” He pronounced. The rest of the company on the boat began to laugh at Eziekiel’s expense. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“I’ll get you one day for this.” Ezekiel hissed in Zachariah’s ear. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Zachariah threw Ezekiel to away and walked back to the squad. They were calling him a hero for leading the charge. He shook his head. All he wanted to do was survive and get home. The boat shoved off and floated down the river. All he wanted to do was survive. [/FONT]