The Himalayan Unionist Project went through in 1928. What are its consequences?

From 1920 - 28, the governments of Nepal, Bhutan and Tibet went through a period of pan-Himalayan ideas, and in 1926 a small conference was even held in Shigatse about creating a Federal Kingdom of the Himalayas uniting Bhutan, Tibet and Nepal into one single country. However the KMT threatened to invade if the project went ahead. This was a bluff, considering the Brits were the guarantors of Bhutan and Nepal but both countries backed down after the threat OTL, and the pan-Himalayan project has faded into the dustbin of history. But what if the KMT didn't threaten the conference, and in 1928 the Federal Kingdom of the Himalayas was formed? * What would be its consequences (Nepal was an obligated ally of Britain and thus Himalaya in this situation is as well) in WW2? The Cold War? India?

* - According to the 1926 Conference, the monarchy would be a rotating one, with one monarch for ten years. The first was to be the King of Bhutan, followed by the Tibetan Panchen Lama and then the Nepalese Monarchy and repeat.

I would assume that a very large participation against the Japanese would take place after 1941 with two armies deployed to China against the Japanese. Adding alongside the Burma Road, I assume that the Araniko Path would also be used to resupply the Chinese by the British against Japan.

I would assume that a very large participation against the Japanese would take place after 1941 with two armies deployed to China against the Japanese. Adding alongside the Burma Road, I assume that the Araniko Path would also be used to resupply the Chinese by the British against Japan.
Would this Himalayan Kingdom be willing to get that involved in WW2? I don’t know that the Japanese would be seen as a direct threat?

Would this Himalayan Kingdom be willing to get that involved in WW2? I don’t know that the Japanese would be seen as a direct threat?
According to the plan the Himalayan federation would be the legal successor of all three nations meaning they would take on all the legal baggage too - including Nepal's alliance with Britain, so it's not really their choice. The moment ww2 starts, due to the 1923 anglo-nealese treaty and the 1925 anglo-bhutanese treaty the federation will be at war as well.

According to the plan the Himalayan federation would be the legal successor of all three nations meaning they would take on all the legal baggage too - including Nepal's alliance with Britain, so it's not really their choice. The moment ww2 starts, due to the 1923 anglo-nealese treaty and the 1925 anglo-bhutanese treaty the federation will be at war as well.
Ok. That’s good to know. Still, being at war does not guarantee a major military effort. I confess my almost total ignorance in this area, but what kind of support came from Nepal and Bhutan IOTL?

Ok. That’s good to know. Still, being at war does not guarantee a major military effort. I confess my almost total ignorance in this area, but what kind of support came from Nepal and Bhutan IOTL?
Bhutan sent around 2000 troops. Whilst around 200,000 Nepalese soldiers served in the Royal Nepalese Army and another 100,000 Nepalese served through the British Gurkha Regiments. Almost all of them deployed to the Burmese front after 1941, though a few regiments took part in Italy, North Africa and East Africa.

Tibet was able to raise 200,000 troops in 1946 so I would assume that amount of manpower from the Tibetan regions too.

Bhutan sent around 2000 troops. Whilst around 200,000 Nepalese soldiers served in the Royal Nepalese Army and another 100,000 Nepalese served through the British Gurkha Regiments. Almost all of them deployed to the Burmese front after 1941, though a few regiments took part in Italy, North Africa and East Africa.

Tibet was able to raise 200,000 troops in 1946 so I would assume that amount of manpower from the Tibetan regions too.
Ok, so not insignificant, particularly if combined with the Tibetan Army.

The state seems like it would be somewhat unstable. Also, (and this is just from a Google and Wiki search) wasn’t the Panchen Lama at the time in exile, fleeing from arrest by the Dalai Lama? And wasn’t the Panchen Lama the one that was anti-British and adopted Sun Yat Sen’s ideals?

Ok, so not insignificant, particularly if combined with the Tibetan Army.

The state seems like it would be somewhat unstable. Also, (and this is just from a Google and Wiki search) wasn’t the Panchen Lama at the time in exile, fleeing from arrest by the Dalai Lama? And wasn’t the Panchen Lama the one that was anti-British and adopted Sun Yat Sen’s ideals?
The 9th Panchen Lama was invited back during the Himalayan proposals .

I'll leave others to gauge the viability of the entity but it obviously means massive butterflies during the Cold War. With an Himalayan federation having been a card-carrying member of the Allies and founding member of the UN and, according to what others have said, a decently sized army a take over of Tibet become way trickier politically for Beijing.

An Himalayan Federation would also be well placed to support, and allow the West to better support if it so choose, the resistance of Chinese Muslims to Communist rule. As a result it is probable that it could drag, becoming a greater drain on Chinese's ressources and preventing it from fully benefiting from those from the region. Add this to loosing resource-rich Tibet and might have the ingredients to significantly hinder China's rise...

Last edited:
I'll leave others to gauge the viability of the entity but it obviously means massive butterflies during the Cold War. With an Himalayan federation having a card-carrying member of the Allies founding member of the UN and, according to what others have said, a decently sized army a take over of Tibet become way trickier politically for Beijing.
well i dont really think the Chinese would even try to take Tibet. They took Tibet otl because no one recognized Tibetan independence, but considering that through Nepal and Bhutan the region would be a British ally, the Chinese wont make any sort of military maneuver in my opinion.
An Himalayan Federation would also be well placed to support, and allow the West to better support if it so choose, the resistance of Chinese Muslims to Communist rule. As a result it is probable that it could drag, becoming a greater drain on Chinese's ressources and preventing it from fully benefiting from those from the region. Add this to loosing ressource-rich Tibet and might have the ingredients to significantly hinder China's rise...
I am not sure the Federation would try to raise the ire of China too much. Nepal had a large communist segment that could be ripe for maoist support, and the three countries have historically maintained good relations with the Chinese since the fall of the Yuan. A mediator between the British and Chinese is what I am seeing really.

In 1928 the kingdom would look something like this:-

1630297554313.png

It would also have a population of around 6.7 million in 1928.

The 9th Panchen Lama was invited back during the Himalayan proposals .
Ok, but he was still exiled because of resistance to the Dalai Lama’s rule. A resistance inspired partially by fears of Christian British influence, as well as the taxing of monasteries to pay for the expanded army. Was that worked out or was he simply allowed to return regardless? And would he give his final support to a federation that would make him a direct ally of the British?

Based on your schedule, the Panchen Lama would become the head of the Federation in 1938. By then both the 13th Dalai Lama and the 9th Panchen Lama had died and their successors were children. So, if this federation goes ahead, who is making policy decisions during WW2?

Ok, but he was still exiled because of resistance to the Dalai Lama’s rule. A resistance inspired partially by fears of Christian British influence, as well as the taxing of monasteries to pay for the expanded army. Was that worked out or was he simply allowed to return regardless? And would he give his final support to a federation that would make him a direct ally of the British?
He wasn't opposed to the British government exactly, he did cooperate with them in China, however he was opposed to the British missionaries in Tibet. He would have probably, if he came to power, banned missionaries from the country
Based on your schedule, the Panchen Lama would become the head of the Federation in 1938. By then both the 13th Dalai Lama and the 9th Panchen Lama had died and their successors were children. So, if this federation goes ahead, who is making policy decisions during WW2?
The 'King' of the Federation is only really going to be a figurehead all things considered. The proposed National Assembly would elect the Minister-President who would be the head of the government.

The 'King' of the Federation is only really going to be a figurehead all things considered. The proposed National Assembly would elect the Minister-President who would be the head of the government.
Ok. Was there any indication of how this National Assembly would work? Would this body have authority superseding the national power centres? If so would the Federation government have control of the constituent militaries? Or would they have to create their own?

Ok. Was there any indication of how this National Assembly would work? Would this body have authority superseding the national power centres? If so would the Federation government have control of the constituent militaries? Or would they have to create their own?
According to Bir Shumsher's diary, semi-democratic elections between independents (as in no political party affiliation allowed, but other than that, more or less democratic), and around 20% of the people being allowed the voting franchise would vote every 4 years on the National Assembly. The Nepalese, Tibetan and Bhutanese legislatures would remain in place, though they would turn from national legislatures to devolved legislatures. And yes, the national assembly was supposed to have superseding powers over the constituent legislatures, and the militaries were to be combined to form one military. The proposed National Assembly took heavy inspiration from the Canadian Parliament and its federation powers. The otl plan was basically Canada's federation system copy pasted in Tibetan and Nepali.

According to Bir Shumsher's diary, semi-democratic elections between independents (as in no political party affiliation allowed, but other than that, more or less democratic), and around 20% of the people being allowed the voting franchise would vote every 4 years on the National Assembly. The Nepalese, Tibetan and Bhutanese legislatures would remain in place, though they would turn from national legislatures to devolved legislatures. And yes, the national assembly was supposed to have superseding powers over the constituent legislatures, and the militaries were to be combined to form one military. The proposed National Assembly took heavy inspiration from the Canadian Parliament and its federation powers. The otl plan was basically Canada's federation system copy pasted in Tibetan and Nepali.
Huh, that is interesting. Well, Canada's Confederation worked because the US was big and scary and the Fenians had recently been invading, so everyone was willing to put their own independence aside for the sake of collective security. Plus Britain was helping to push it. For this union would China form enough of a big scary neighbor for the three to do the same?

As to effects, it would be ironic, but seems quite possible, that the first major military outing for this new federation would be in support of China, if worry about China is what brought them together. AIUI the Araniko Path was a yak track at the time. Though it may get upgraded if it is the main connection between Kathmandu and Lhasa. Even still, it is an extremely hazardous route. Connection with Bhutan seems like it would be equally difficult. If it is seen as an alternative to the Burma Road, then it may see allied investment in improving the route, possibly even adding a rail connection if that is feasible. If the Army can be concentrated then it does seem logical to support the KMT against the Japanese, though I would not rule out forces still being deployed alongside the British in Burma.

No matter who wins the Chinese Civil War, they are likely going to cause problems over Tibet. AIUI the KMT was actually more aggressive about this in the short term. The Communists may take a slower approach. But, particularly as British international influence wanes and India's focus gets locked on Pakistan, and vise versa, then there will likely be communist insurgents working in Tibet.

Seems to me the Federation has a few options when it comes to the Cold War. They could try to remain unaligned and remain compliant enough to China that they won't bother going after them. In this case an alliance of some kind with India would be very desirable. India might be a bit unreliable as a protector though. Either way, it would be a narrow tightrope to walk. This likely means a degree of communist influence in the government. Alternatively they could try and court Britain as a protector initially and then switch that to the US as British influence wanes and the US takes more interest in the situation. This likely means some harsh crackdowns on communist insurgency, greater tension on the border, and US bases in Himalayan territory. Considering its proximity to both Russia and China, this could lead to some tense moments.

Huh, that is interesting. Well, Canada's Confederation worked because the US was big and scary and the Fenians had recently been invading, so everyone was willing to put their own independence aside for the sake of collective security. Plus Britain was helping to push it. For this union would China form enough of a big scary neighbor for the three to do the same?
actually, while Britain was a supporter of the plan, the three countries banded together against both what they considered undue British and Chinese influences in their countries.
As to effects, it would be ironic, but seems quite possible, that the first major military outing for this new federation would be in support of China, if worry about China is what brought them together. AIUI the Araniko Path was a yak track at the time. Though it may get upgraded if it is the main connection between Kathmandu and Lhasa. Even still, it is an extremely hazardous route. Connection with Bhutan seems like it would be equally difficult. If it is seen as an alternative to the Burma Road, then it may see allied investment in improving the route, possibly even adding a rail connection if that is feasible. If the Army can be concentrated then it does seem logical to support the KMT against the Japanese, though I would not rule out forces still being deployed alongside the British in Burma.
The Araniko Path is a yak track, but it can accommodate large numbers, as it was the site of the Nepalese invasion of Tibet in 1789 which saw 20,000 nepalese go through it, and in 1792 it was the site of the Chinese invasion of Nepal wherein 30,000 Chinese troops invaded Nepal through the path. It can be upgraded rather easily. As for railway network, it is possible, to create a rail network from kathmandu to Yalaixiang, but further than that is not really possible until the 1990s and 2000s. The mountains and valleys are too dangerous and steep for railways.
No matter who wins the Chinese Civil War, they are likely going to cause problems over Tibet. AIUI the KMT was actually more aggressive about this in the short term. The Communists may take a slower approach. But, particularly as British international influence wanes and India's focus gets locked on Pakistan, and vise versa, then there will likely be communist insurgents working in Tibet.
yeah, the Chinese nationalists will be pissed really.
Seems to me the Federation has a few options when it comes to the Cold War. They could try to remain unaligned and remain compliant enough to China that they won't bother going after them. In this case an alliance of some kind with India would be very desirable. India might be a bit unreliable as a protector though. Either way, it would be a narrow tightrope to walk. This likely means a degree of communist influence in the government. Alternatively they could try and court Britain as a protector initially and then switch that to the US as British influence wanes and the US takes more interest in the situation. This likely means some harsh crackdowns on communist insurgency, greater tension on the border, and US bases in Himalayan territory. Considering its proximity to both Russia and China, this could lead to some tense moments.
A pre-1962 Bhutan situation is likely I think. Officially neutral and accommodating in all economic matters to both sides whilst not allowing military accommodations to either side. the PRC was otl fine with that approach until they needed to occupy some Bhutanese valleys to outflank Indian positions near the border. And without a Sino-Indian border other than a small sliver in Kashmir, that situation will likely not happen

there would i also assume, be some tensions with India, considering the country would inherit Tibet's claim to Arunachal Pradesh.
On other future possibilities, I could see Sikkim joining as the fourth confederal crown in the kingdom after the British leave. There was a strong pro-unionist support in Sikkim in favor of being annexed by Nepal or Bhutan during 1947 - 1951 iotl.

How would it be compatible with Britian's recogntiion of Chinese suzerainty over Tibet?
That was the major reason why they took more or less a neutral stance when KMT threatened to invade iotl. If the KMT allows it to go ahead, it is distracted enough to allow it then that is tacit agreement from KMT that their claims on Tibet are dropped.